Is This Ethical

Guest miff

• Replies 236
  • Views 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Well thats not hard , when you only have a 8ft square dance floor compard to 160m2 of rocket dance floor.

rocket had 400 in last time KR promoted it and failed, if you get 4 in tonight Stuart you will be on this list telling everyone what a great and soul full nite you had !!!!!!!!!

boys will be boys

--------------------------------------

If we only get 4 in that means that one of the DJs hasn't turned up

thats no problem the first dj would of leftwell before the last one got to play his set lol

Social source share

if they were all bad then WHY DID YOU KEEP GOING ?

If you bang you head agaist the wall one day you might relise that it hurts,

thats is if you have a brain

He kept going because he hoped it might improve. It didn't. Hardly surprising with upfront sounds like Interplay and the Snake :D

Social source share

He kept going because he hoped it might improve. It didn't. Hardly surprising with upfront sounds like Interplay and the Snake :D

better than tony blackburn aka kenny Gamble

i wonder who discovered this load of shit ??????????????????????

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

If we only get 4 in that means that one of the DJs hasn't turned up

thats no problem the first dj would of leftwell before the last one got to play his set lol

:D Erm, is it right that you didn't pass the MENSA entrance test yet again this year?

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

i know its raining but couldnt a few of you go and play outside now.

stop the insults, swearing and boring stuff please or its shutting down

cheers

Shane

Social source share

if they were all bad then WHY DID YOU KEEP GOING ?

If you bang you head agaist the wall one day you might relise that it hurts,

thats is if you have a brain

Cause its round the corner :D and all me mates went :D no other motive.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

better than tony blackburn aka kenny Gamble

i wonder who discovered this load of shit ??????????????????????

I believe that was intended as a joke, unlike the Rocket.

Social source share

Guest sydney bridge

cheers

Shane

hear ,hear, sort yer lives out!
Social source share

cheers

Shane

Believe it or not there are adults on this forum Shane, how about treating us as such?

(actually having read it, I take that back, sorry Sir)

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

I believe that was intended as a joke, unlike the Rocket.

so was the four vandalls , one big joke that fooled you all

remeber certian Djs paying £800 for this lol magic

:D Erm, is it right that you didn't pass the MENSA entrance test yet again this year?

not this year Staurt , spelt me name wrong . maybe next ?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Well thats not hard , when you only have a 8ft square dance floor compard to 160m2 of rocket dance floor.

rocket had 400 in last time KR promoted it and failed, if you get 4 in tonight Stuart you will be on this list telling everyone what a great and soul full nite you had !!!!!!!!!

boys will be boys

If we only get 4 in that means that one of the DJs hasn't turned up!

That is a Ronnie Rosenthal style miss of an open goal there Stu.

If you had been argueing against me, and used that statement, I'd have come down on you PDQ!! :D

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

so was the four vandalls , one big joke that fooled you all

Nope, fooled you but rumbled very early on by many, but still himself refused to admit to it. Why do you think so many people turned against Ian when he was at least allowing the passing off of a fake record for a lot of money? Disgraceful.

That is a Ronnie Rosenthal style miss of an open goal there Stu.

If you had been argueing against me, and used that statement, I'd have come down on you PDQ!! :D

:D You've lost me, I'm off to get a sarnie and think this over.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Nope, fooled you but rumbled very early on by many, but still himself refused to admit to it. Why do you think so many people turned against Ian when he was at least allowing the passing off of a fake record for a lot of money? Disgraceful.

:D You've lost me, I'm off to get a sarnie and think this over.

Referring to the one Dj down, I would have hoped it had been you :D

Of course I wouldnt really, I particularly like your plinkety plonk tunes on Cd. :D

Social source share

lets face the truth

northern soul in london is a No No .

As Tim Brown recently stated that the 100 club is more like the attendance than the street number

so you enjoy your self tonight with the 20 people that will go to your event !!!!!!!!!

perhaps take some photos and put them up so everybody can see how much fun you have lol

:D:D Second funnyest post ever!

Tim who????????

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Referring to the one Dj down, I would have hoped it had been you :D

Of course I wouldnt really, I particularly like your plinkety plonk tunes on Cd. :D

Moved on mate, purely Country and Western on MP3, I just download them onto the club system via the internet. Never even been to the place. Its great.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

The truth about the 4 Vandals came out long after the Rocket finished..

The absolute truth yes, but it was rumbled before the Rocket even started. Steve Brookstein was actually identified at a later date, although Nick B told me he knew who it was before that became generally known. Driv and Frynn used to bore me to tears about it for hours..... :D

Social source share

no stuart , Ian never sold any of them records personaly, he sent 3 copies to the caroliners to a freind of his and then hatched the plot. He then sent out his wants list to dealers with this title on it and he was prepared to pay $500 for it.

the gready dealers then got wind of this record for sale at $200 and they went for the kill.

Ian then bought his copy from the dealer at $500 the dealer was of course deighted:

hence to hustle was formed : another copy turned up and the dealer again went for the jugular and bought it and sold it on at a proffit to a so called top dj who then hammered it lol

rather brilliant in my mind,

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

The truth about the 4 Vandals came out long after the Rocket finished..

But the rumours were already well and truely up and running.

Talking of the Orlons allnighter, I can remember dancing to the Venieta(sp?) Williams/Wilson track, which I still like, and joining many others in walking from the floor when the 4 vandals was played, as even I had heard the rumours by then.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Yes, probably. I never said Ian sold them. But he let other people pay far too much. Which is appalling. And probably illegal.

Social source share

Shame the same couldn't be said for the record :D

Whats brilliant about it, pure fruagulant, Just another has been trying to live of there old name. done no good whats so ever for the scene at present! didn't even do much for the scene back in the seventys :D

Social source share

Fraud, in my mind

wake up rimmer

they were a set sale item ,

the same way as the magicians going for £120 on ebay weeks after it release. now worth FA

and that was a wind up , with two people bidding to put the price up so it could be mentioned in the cd notes .

WHO IS FOOLING WHO ??

Social source share

Guest Dodger

cheers

Shane

What a feck'n Hilter you are at times, Shane. You need to realise most people reading this forum are adults and enjoy these kinds of threads most of all, it's FAR from boring!! :D:D:D

Hey up Gavin, long time no speak mate. :D

Roger

Social source share

wake up rimmer

They might have been a set sale item, but you yourself admitted that it was a plot designed to fool people into parting with money

"Ian never sold any of them records personaly, he sent 3 copies to the caroliners to a freind of his and then hatched the plot"

And on that basis I regard it as fraud. So whatever your bleating excuses are this time, you have just admitted that it was a method of exaggerating the price of a set sale item.

That makes it fraud.

Wake up and smell the coffee !

Get a life !

Who's fooling who !

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

the same way as the magicians going for £120 on ebay weeks after it release. now worth FA

and that was a wind up , with two people bidding to put the price up so it could be mentioned in the cd notes .

WHO IS FOOLING WHO ??

If Levine made any money out of this scam then it is likely that he has committed an offence under the Theft Act 1965, which is very very naughty. Set sale or not is irrelevant. I think I'll ask the City nick what they think.

As for your allegation about the Magicians, auctions often involve two people bidding against each other. The price then goes up. 100 Club anniversary singles are coveted by many people on the northern soul scene and fetch high prices (having never been on the scene you are probably unaware of this).

The thing that probably leads you to make this allegation is that poor Ian couldn't get unissued records of that quality and had to make up his own (4 Vs and Vienneta Wotsit weren't too bad). He was always going on about megarareties and exclusives but he didn't actually have any the last time around, did he?

Edited by Stuart T
Social source share

But the rumours were already well and truely up and running.

Talking of the Orlons allnighter, I can remember dancing to the Venieta(sp?) Williams/Wilson track, which I still like, and joining many others in walking from the floor when the 4 vandals was played, as even I had heard the rumours by then.

There's always been tailor mades though. I was only thinking the other night, it sounds daft now but when I hear the intro to WEAK SPOT I think back to how exciting it was at the time!

Social source share

boys will be boys

============

I was at the last rocket, and no way was there 400 in there. Less than 200 is far more accurate. I went to all of the rocket nighters bar 1 and to be honest enjoyed them all, although the first one was filled with students, and to be honest IMO it was never going to take off. Too bigger a venue and not enough people, it wasn't to do with it being sabotaged as I remember.

If you have proof Gavin, why not produce it, then all this conjecture will cease.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

If Levine made any money out of this scam then it is likely that he has committed an offence under the Theft Act 1965, which is very very naughty. Set sale or not is irrelevant. I think I'll ask the City nick what they think.

As for your allegation about the Magicians, auctions often involve two people bidding against each other. The price then goes up. 100 Club anniversary singles are coveted by many people on the northern soul scene and fetch high prices (having never been on the scene you are probably unaware of this).

The thing that probably leads you to make this allegation is that poor Ian couldn't get unissued records of that quality and had to make up his own (4 Vs and Vienneta Wotsit weren't too bad). He was always going on about megarareties and exclusives but he didn't actually have any the last time around, did he?

Staurt

Levine is a professional DJ IE CHAMPIONS RECORDS,

by hook or by crook his job is to promote records.

the same way that other DJs do for record companys. and if they dont they are not DJ but record spinners.

all the top DJs have conection to record companys , but why arnt they the bad guys to ?

becuase you need a scape goat !!!!!

Social source share

you want to follow ebay more closely and you will find that they are not worth as much as you may want them to be,

no way is a new press worth £120 in 3 weeks . now thats a hustle,

and if it was in such demand the Ace would want to make some bucks and put the thing out .

or are you going to tell me that Ace records do it for love

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Levine is a professional DJ IE CHAMPIONS RECORDS,

becuase you need a scape goat !!!!!

a. I'm not sure whether Ian is a professional DJ but that is irrelevant to whether or not he committed a crime by profiting from a record by misrepresenting its provenance or value.

b. Why do I need a scape goat?

you want to follow ebay more closely and you will find that they are not worth as much as you may want them to be,

no way is a new press worth £120 in 3 weeks . now thats a hustle,

and if it was in such demand the Ace would want to make some bucks and put the thing out .

or are you going to tell me that Ace records do it for love

I have no upwards desire in respect of what price a record should fetch as I'm not currently selling any.

San Fanciscan TKOs goes for over a ton nowadays, why not the Magicians? has been a bit of a mythical records for many since Dave Flynn mentioned it in the sleeve notes of thatbox set he did (perhaps others knew of it long before, I don't know) so the price it fetched is no great surprise. I can't answer you on what kent will or won't do but its unusual for 100 Club singles to end up getting issued, don't think any ever has?

Social source share

boys will be boys

============

I was at the last rocket, and no way was there 400 in there. Less than 200 is far more accurate. I went to all of the rocket nighters bar 1 and to be honest enjoyed them all, although the first one was filled with students, and to be honest IMO it was never going to take off. Too bigger a venue and not enough people, it wasn't to do with it being sabotaged as I remember.

If you have proof Gavin, why not produce it, then all this conjecture will cease.

last rocket alniter was not run by KR so i expect 200 or less infact more like 50 as they can only use downstiars now !!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

The Rocket was a good idea, but was destined to fail.

London cant do Northern Soul......and thats from a Londoner.

I've been to the 100 Club, purely for the nostalgia assocciated with it, not for a full on NS nighter.

I've been to Crossfire and although I enjoyed the night, I couldn't get my head around the 'one venue fits all' strategy.

If I want a Mod night, I go to Steppin' Out

If I want a Northern Soul Allnighter.....I go up North.

If I ever want a Swirly night.....I hope someone would shoot me before that time comes!

There was no sabotage, two 'big' events on the same night in London, with only enough clued up people to fill half of one.....competition was always going to be fierce.

Social source share

To my mind, real world ethics only comes into it if the set is recorded and an individual track is separated, cut onto vinyl/CD or whatever and then sold on to make money for the person or persons who plainly have no right to profit for all the reasons discussed.

Otherwise I don't see where real world ethics comes into it because at worst all the 'recorder' is doing by their Robin Hood-like actions is denting the ego of the 'recordee' and taking away the exclusivity on some of this music that plainly drives certain echelons of the soul scene, so it's more akin to the issue of 'honour amongst thieves' or in this case 'honour amongst collectors' rather than actual ethics.

I'm quite sure that if somebody recorded one of the 'big lads' sets and booted their latest biggie/cover up onto a seven and made 250 copies available, there would be a considerable number of people on the soul scene pleased about the fact they could possess some kind of copy for their own enjoyment, as opposed to the relatively small number of DJs, collectors and associates who take it upon themselves to attempt to uphold some of the mythical 'laws' that abound in order to protect their own patch.

Rog we disagree - but I did enjoy sharing a few non alcoholic pints with you at the Bass Museum oN SUnday

Social source share

this weekend i will sort out the rocket tapes

And will post a sound file

and you will hear for your self Croasdale sniping at Ian levine over the mike in PUBLIC

WATCH THIS SPACE

THATS IS IF I NOT BANNED

THEN ONE OF MY FREINDS WILL POST IF FOR ME

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Absolute bolloc*s - and that's from a northerner.

What London can't do is play The Snake, Ski-ing in the Snow, and Lovin on the Losing Side etc to a room full of people in vests.

What it does do very well indeed is bring together a diverse bunch of people who really really care passionately about Soul music. I love events up north but you've got to be out of your tree to suggest that there aren't absolute quality Soul events in London.

The 100 Club..NOSTALGIA? Nurse! Nurse! Fetch this man's medication.

Social source share

Err no actually Gavin - this didn't fool all of us nor did David Rhodes fakes nor did Jeannie & Valaquons etc....some of us "sussed" them right from the off. :D

]

yes Steve, but not all are as talented as you :D

but the gready bastards did get fooled , and of course you cant kid an expert, but the time from conception to press was long enough for a rumor and hence demand !!!!!

and thats all you need

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

There was no sabotage, two 'big' events on the same night in London, with only enough clued up people to fill half of one.....competition was always going to be fierce.

One of them was absolutely mobbed! Don't understand this "London can't do northern soul" stuff. For a period I think London was doing it probably better than anywhere else in the country judging by the number of people travelling to London.

Social source share

Shame the same couldn't be said for the record :D

=============

I'm the only person who admits that they rather liked it :D Chalky told me it was dodgy years ago though :D

Whats brilliant about it, pure fruagulant, Just another has been trying to live of there old name. done no good whats so ever for the scene at present! didn't even do much for the scene back in the seventys :D

==============

Take it that smiley means you're only joking re: not doing much for the scene in the 7Ts? He did discover a few records :D

Social source share

I've been to the 100 Club, purely for the nostalgia assocciated with it, not for a full on NS nighter.

I've been to Crossfire and although I enjoyed the night, I couldn't get my head around the 'one venue fits all' strategy.

If I want a Mod night, I go to Steppin' Out

If I want a Northern Soul Allnighter.....I go up North.

If I ever want a Swirly night.....I hope someone would shoot me before that time comes!

of course it was sabotage, as the crossfire tried to book the same 4 nights of the year as what the rocket had planed for, while we at the time gave respect to the regular event and avoided any clash.

Social source share

What London can't do is play The Snake, Ski-ing in the Snow, and Lovin on the Losing Side etc to a room full of people in vests.

What it does do very well indeed is bring together a diverse bunch of people who really really care passionately about Soul music. I love events up north but you've got to be out of your tree to suggest that there aren't absolute quality Soul events in London.

The 100 Club..NOSTALGIA? Nurse! Nurse! Fetch this man's medication.

I dont think I have been anywhere up north where I have seen a room full of people in vests dancing to The Snake......actually, I may have seen something similar but that was after mind enhancing recreational pharmacuticals.... :D

What London does very well is to put on smaller events catering for specific styles and tastes, and these are promoted by people with real passion for their scene.

What London does not have is the capability of putting on a larger scale event......because there aren't enough people here to make it successful.

So what does the 100 Club bring that a church hall in Beckenham cant......other than nostalgia? :D

Social source share

The absolute truth yes, but it was rumbled before the Rocket even started. Steve Brookstein was actually identified at a later date, although Nick B told me he knew who it was before that became generally known. Driv and Frynn used to bore me to tears about it for hours..... :D

both steve brookstien and his girl friend vencia wilson attended the rocket and

was amazed at the responce to thier records,

Social source share

last rocket alniter was not run by KR so i expect 200 or less infact more like 50 as they can only use downstiars now !!!!!!!!!!!!

==========

I'm talking about the last one run jointly. Kev opened up the evening with good evening London. Was at the table right near the stage, left before 6 cos it just didn't get going. As I said, I have fond memories of the place, back in the day it would have been a top venue, but unfortunately IMO it was 25 years to late. No reflection on who promoted it, London was just not the right location!

Social source share