The Superlatives, 'i Still Love You'. Female Backing Singer, Who Is She?

Guest Bob Monkhouse

Guest Bob Monkhouse

Ever since I first heard this tune I have wondered who the female backing singer on the tune is.If you listen at 1m28s she holds an incredible note for nearly 10 seconds.Could anyone tell me who she is and any information about her.I've messaged Paul Kyser via here but I'm not sure if he's active or picks messages up.Thanks to anyone who can shed light on this.Bob Monkhouse.

Social source share

Guest Bob Monkhouse

You may be right but it seems a really high note for a male voice.It'll probably be one of those mysteries of life I'll never get the answer to.Thanks for your input.Bob

Social source share

Guest Bob Monkhouse

I think so but I'm no expert.A lot of all male groups used female backing singers though so, just because The Superlatives were an all male group it doesn't follow naturally that they didn't use female backing singers at times.

Social source share

I think so but I'm no expert.A lot of all male groups used female backing singers though so, just because The Superlatives were an all male group it doesn't follow naturally that they didn't use female backing singers at times.

That's true, although more specifically in the studio (rather than live ... although you're obviously talking about a studio recording here). I'm still not sure it's a woman's voice though and the lead tenor is unnaturally high pre-falsetto.

Social source share

Ever since I first heard this tune I have wondered who the female backing singer on the tune is.If you listen at 1m28s she holds an incredible note for nearly 10 seconds.Could anyone tell me who she is and any information about her.I've messaged Paul Kyser via here but I'm not sure if he's active or picks messages up.Thanks to anyone who can shed light on this.Bob Monkhouse.

The Superlatives were an all male group from New Jersey:

St. Julian (pee wee) Bonaparte (lead)

David Jones (first tenor)

Leon Stuckey (second tenor)

Marvin (mousey) Williams (bass)

Gerald Applewhite (baritone)

Both the tracks, 'i still love you' and 'we're so lonely' were recorded in 1966, at Cameo Parkway in Philadelphia.

The information was lifted from Tim Ashibende's enlightening fanzine 'tracks to your mind' which features interviews about the Superatives with Paul Kyser and Earl Morgan (manager)

• Helpful 3
Social source share

The Superlatives were an all male group from New Jersey:

St. Julian (pee wee) Bonaparte (lead)

David Jones (first tenor)

Leon Stuckey (second tenor)

Marvin (mousey) Williams (bass)

Gerald Applewhite (baritone)

Both the tracks, 'i still love you' and 'we're so lonely' were recorded in 1966, at Cameo Parkway in Philadelphia.

The information was lifted from Tim Ashibende's enlightening fanzine 'tracks to your mind' which features interviews about the Superatives with Paul Kyser and Earl Morgan (manager)

Yes but I think Bob M. was asking if a girl was used in the studio, which does happen a lot to round out the production. I don't think there was in this case.

Social source share

Guest scottie

sorry to change the point but on the subject of backing vocals the backing vocals on "i got the fever"by the prophets/creation are absolutely amazing,strong as an ox.

Social source share

Guest Bob Monkhouse

Many thanks to everyone on here with your comments.Its looking like I may well be wrong about the female backing singer.If its one of the male singers then I think I'm even more impressed.Whoever it is gives both me and my wife Sue a huge smile on our faces whenever we hear the tune.Such enormous talent ,thanks to you all.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

sorry to change the point but on the subject of backing vocals the backing vocals on "i got the fever"by the prophets/creation are absolutely amazing,strong as an ox.

That's partly due to Bobby Martin remixing the Prophets and turning it into the 'Creation' master. A name given to the Prophets by Bill Buster owner of Eric records who subsequently re-released it in 1972 due to UK demand.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

yes, i have it on the blue label

I have that one as well, and seen a LOT more blues than yellows. Actually, I've only seen the blue one in my time in The Midwest and Far West. Maybe the yellow was first press, and local or regional only, and when national distribution started, it was pressed on blue?

Social source share

I have that one as well, and seen a LOT more blues than yellows. Actually, I've only seen the blue one in my time in The Midwest and Far West. Maybe the yellow was first press, and local or regional only, and when national distribution started, it was pressed on blue?

I have no idea but one thing that is commonly true is that things that are common in the UK are not necessarily common at all in the US because what's common in the UK are whatever load of records happened to be exported.

Social source share

I have no idea but one thing that is commonly true is that things that are common in the UK are not necessarily common at all in the US because what's common in the UK are whatever load of records happened to be exported.

True...same for over here in Japan, as a lot of stock came over here during the 70s and has remained on these shores circulating around. I often find the same titles over and over again, despite them being tough elsewhere in the world...hence I can offer some titles time and again on my sales pages!

With regards to the Superlatives there are x4 label variants aren't there:

Italic label title version on white, yellow and light blue versions (all from the same pressing plant). Then there is also the bar-lined label in light blue from a different plant.

Social source share

Well, it was half a joke and half a serious question actually... The "alleged originator" of the phrase OVO recently went through my box and separated out the originals from the pressings -- and he put my blue Superlatives in the originals pile. So then when I saw the post on here of the yellow label I thought if that's the original then why did Dave say my blue one was... So maybe this does need its own thread, but I was interested in the idea of if you have a local release and then a national release -- or, as it seems in this case, four releases -- where do you make the distinction between what counts as OVO and not? I am honestly not trying to cause trouble or start yet another pointless row!!!

Social source share

Well, it was half a joke and half a serious question actually... The "alleged originator" of the phrase OVO recently went through my box and separated out the originals from the pressings -- and he put my blue Superlatives in the originals pile. So then when I saw the post on here of the yellow label I thought if that's the original then why did Dave say my blue one was... So maybe this does need its own thread, but I was interested in the idea of if you have a local release and then a national release -- or, as it seems in this case, four releases -- where do you make the distinction between what counts as OVO and not? I am honestly not trying to cause trouble or start yet another pointless row!!!

actually the question you are asking about local / national releases is exactly the type of thing that has been done ad nauseum in the OVO threads and the type of thing I meant to cut off. Again, I'm not saying you're asking an unreasonable question, but there's a big history here. I see you joined in 2004 but don't post a lot, I don't know if you saw all the drama. I'm not trying to discourage you from posting in general, I appreciate it.

If you just wanted to ask which was the pressing order of the different label designs of this, that would be a fair question imo. Not trying to censor you, just please look at those threads, they pretty much address every possible permutation of every how-many-angels-can-fit-on-the-head-of-a-pin type of question you can ask and they overall had a very negative effect on the forum. Thanks.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!