Margaret Little On Ebay

Soulsider

Well it is everyone's business since you came on here smugly telling everyone you can chuck $800+ at a record just for a laugh. Then telling everyone that you're such a discerning buyer that you don't even bother to read the description or look at the pictures before chucking said amount at the record for a laugh. No wonder record prices are through the roof with people like you about.

Then you come back on here telling everyone that you've withdrawn your bid - who cares?

Well the seller might as you've gone a long way to knackering his auction by appearing to bid the record up and the high bidder might as you've exposed what his top bid is to all the other bidders by chucking money at the record. I wouldn't be surprised if a few bids are now retracted and the seller has to start again.

Unbelievable that after giving us a running commentary on your actions, you then come on here trying to defend them and say isn't anybody else's business what you do with your money.

At least you changed your name to something appropriate.

In no way was I smug, and I never said I was a discerning buyer, in fact I'm not at all. And if people want to slag me off for what I do then I will attempt to defend my corner

Social source share

Well it is everyone's business since you came on here smugly telling everyone you can chuck $800+ at a record just for a laugh. Then telling everyone that you're such a discerning buyer that you don't even bother to read the description or look at the pictures before chucking said amount at the record for a laugh. No wonder record prices are through the roof with people like you about.

Then you come back on here telling everyone that you've withdrawn your bid - who cares?

Well the seller might as you've gone a long way to knackering his auction by appearing to bid the record up and the high bidder might as you've exposed what his top bid is to all the other bidders by chucking money at the record. I wouldn't be surprised if a few bids are now retracted and the seller has to start again.

Unbelievable that after giving us a running commentary on your actions, you then come on here trying to defend them and say isn't anybody else's business what you do with your money.

At least you changed your name to something appropriate.

And as for knackering the auction. It shouldn't even be up for auction IMO. OK so I should have read the description, I admit. But you dont expect records on EBay to have big chunks missing. And if the record was very beat up but intact and playable then $888 would have been a fair price to pay

Social source share

In no way was I smug, and I never said I was a discerning buyer, in fact I'm not at all. And if people want to slag me off for what I do then I will attempt to defend my corner

I wasn't going to post on here as I believe you can spend your money on whatever or how you want to cos after all its your money, But you have come accross a bit smug and money no object etc etc which has obviously rubbed a few up the wrong way, by the way what other doubles you got for sale lol ???

Social source share

I wasn't going to post on here as I believe you can spend your money on whatever or how you want to cos after all its your money, But you have come accross a bit smug and money no object etc etc which has obviously rubbed a few up the wrong way, by the way what other doubles you got for sale lol ???

Well if I have then I apologise unreservedly.

As far as buying records I want, then money is no object. Provided I have that money in my Paypal account. Money I get from selling records stays in my Paypal account and is used solely for buying other records, so I don't look upon it as costing me anything.

As for what doubles I've got. What are you after? I might just be able to help.

Social source share

And as for knackering the auction. It shouldn't even be up for auction IMO. OK so I should have read the description, I admit. But you dont expect records on EBay to have big chunks missing. And if the record was very beat up but intact and playable then $888 would have been a fair price to pay

Please stop digging and climb out of the hole while you can.

If you don't think that saying you bid $888 for a laugh comes across as smug then you must have the thickest skin in the world or some form of autism (I sincerely apologise if you do have the latter my comment isn't meant to mock that affliction). When I mentioned what a discerning buyer you must be I was being sarcastic.

There are plenty of knackered records on ebay, and damaged copies of rarities are auctioned with a reasonable frequency. Whether you think it should be auctioned is no reason to go and knacker the auction. Mind you, given that you don't think bidding $888 for a laugh and telling everyone comes across as smug, I doubt you realised that putting a high bid in for a laugh and then retracting it would affect anyone other than yourself.

I actually think your keeping this thread going for a laugh too.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Please stop digging and climb out of the hole while you can.

If you don't think that saying you bid $888 for a laugh comes across as smug then you must have the thickest skin in the world or some form of autism (I sincerely apologise if you do have the latter my comment isn't meant to mock that affliction). When I mentioned what a discerning buyer you must be I was being sarcastic.

There are plenty of knackered records on ebay, and damaged copies of rarities are auctioned with a reasonable frequency. Whether you think it should be auctioned is no reason to go and knacker the auction. Mind you, given that you don't think bidding $888 for a laugh and telling everyone comes across as smug, I doubt you realised that putting a high bid in for a laugh and then retracting it would affect anyone other than yourself.

I actually think your keeping this thread going for a laugh too.

FFS. I have already said that I put the "laugh" comment as I was embarrassed that I hadn't read the description when I put the bid in as I was suffering from over indulgence.

People who know me would have recognised my sense of humour immediately. I then continued due to the fact that loads of others on here, including you, have obviously had a humourectomy.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Phil

Rather than keep trying to justify what you did and why this was, a more credible response would be to try and keep a low profile and to reflect on what issues could have led to such an embarrassing course of action in the first place.

You have withdrawn your bid, so you're no longer involved with the auction.

It's also plain that some people on here have issues with how you're coming across about the whole thing.

In view of the above, can I suggest any further debate about what you did or didn't do, and why this was, should now be considered 'off' topic'.

Richard

Social source share

Chalky that cd of yours was the first ever Northern CD I think. It's rubbish quality, having been dubbed straight off it's vinyl equivalent (it was one of the last Soul Supply double lp's which was condensed down for cd). As you say, very hard to find though.

I did think it was the first but when the 15 track sampler was mentioned I had my doubts. I can't remember the 15 track sampler :g: I'm sure I've seen the one I have sell for three figures in the past?

Social source share

I did think it was the first but when the 15 track sampler was mentioned I had my doubts. I can't remember the 15 track sampler :g: I'm sure I've seen the one I have sell for three figures in the past?

That sampler came out well into the run of Goldmine / Soul Supply cd's mate. Yours came out before they joined forces. I'll show you the sampler in a sec, it's in the garage.

Social source share

I want to know what is worse -- someone throwing money at a random trashed record because they can afford it or someone without any money scraping together what they can and going into debt so they can buy an unplayable record and claim ownership of it because the scene has fetishized expensive records so much? Which of the two types of people do you think is more likely to win the record?

Social source share

I want to know what is worse -- someone throwing money at a random trashed record because they can afford it or someone without any money scraping together what they can and going into debt so they can buy an unplayable record and claim ownership of it because the scene has fetishized expensive records so much? Which of the two types of people do you think is more likely to win the record?

Q. "I want to know what is worse" A. They are pretty much as bad as each other - both scenarios indicate that the two types of people you have described have 'issues'.

Q. "Which of the two types of people do you think is more likely to win the record?" A. I think it depends on the individual circumstances of the auction, how much each person wants the record, what the records is, who else is bidding, and the price we are talking. In principle, both 'types' you have described have the possibility of winning.

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Q. "I want to know what is worse" A. They are pretty much as bad as each other - both scenarios indicate that the two types of people you have described have 'issues'.

Q. "Which of the two types of people do you think is more likely to win the record?" A. I think it depends on the individual circumstances of the auction, how much each person wants the record, what the records is, who else is bidding, and the price we are talking. In principle, both 'types' you have described have the possibility of winning.

Richard

I'm talking about this specific record. I think a rich person is more likely to recognize it as garbage (unless they are buying for some other reason, for example a filler in a detroit collection). A person without the money is more likely to view it as their only opportunity to get the status symbol of owning a $5000 record.

Social source share

I'm talking about this specific record. I think a rich person is more likely to recognize it as garbage (unless they are buying for some other reason, for example a filler in a detroit collection). A person without the money is more likely to view it as their only opportunity to get the status symbol of owning a $5000 record.

I think the defining factor we are talking about in relation to this specific record (i.e. the broken one on eBay) is 'more money than sense' :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

also, I think a not-rich person desperately spending to try to get a status symbol of a scene that has fetishized expensive records is clearly significantly worse than the "obscenity" of a rich person who can afford a useless record buying it. who is worse off in the long run?

Social source share

also, I think a not-rich person desperately spending to try to get a status symbol of a scene that has fetishized expensive records is clearly significantly worse than the "obscenity" of a rich person who can afford a useless record buying it. who is worse off in the long run?

Bob - I think they are two sides of the same coin and like I said the key factor in both examples is 'more money than sense'.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Bob - I think they are two sides of the same coin and like I said the key factor is 'more money than sense'.

Cheers

Richard

not really -- maybe there's something wrong mentally in both cases. But someone going into debt and hiding spending from their spouse versus a person spending an amount of money that is insignificant to them -- who's worse off materially?

Social source share

not really -- maybe there's something wrong mentally in both cases. But someone going into debt and hiding spending from their spouse versus a person spending an amount of money that is insignificant to them -- who's worse off materially?

Well, the first person would be materially worse off superficially. However, I was trying to get to the underlying root cause of the issue, which you touched on yourself in your last post.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Bob, Richard: You're pretty much into off-topic country now. Please either move this thread to freebasing or go back on-topic.

I think it's directly on topic. I'm talking directly about this specific item for sale and who would buy it and for what reasons, and what that says about the values of the scene. however, I also don't care enough to post more about it.

Social source share

Phil

Rather than keep trying to justify what you did and why this was, a more credible response would be to try and keep a low profile and to reflect on what issues could have led to such an embarrassing course of action in the first place.

You have withdrawn your bid, so you're no longer involved with the auction.

It's also plain that some people on here have issues with how you're coming across about the whole thing.

In view of the above, can I suggest any further debate about what you did or didn't do, and why this was, should now be considered 'off' topic'.

Richard

I wasn't justifying anything. I don't need to justify anything to anybody

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The thing is though, it isn't a $5000 record - its a rare record, records only get price tags put on them because somebody has paid that much in the past. Records would all be about $10 including postage if it wasn't for the fact that more people want to own them than there is quantity of any particular record. When that becomes the case it is those that are prepared to pay more than others that get to own the record. One day that will be $5000 the next it could be £3000 or $10000 (all barking sums for a record IMHO).

What the driver is behind people competing to pay large sums of money for records I don't know, I suppose owning a trophy record is one aspect but I don't think it is everyone's motivation.

Personally, I don't spend large sums on records because I am still anxious about funding my old age. Record buying is a hobby for me and I am not motivated by others knowing what I spend on records or knowing what records I have. I've never really understood the notion that spending a lot of money on records or owning certain records somehow gives someone status.

Anyone without the funds for the basics in life shouldn't have any hobby that involves spending relatively large amounts on essentially worthless items.

Social source share

Actually, I might have hit on something there. Would it be better if all records, no matter how rare, only cost $10? Rare records would still be rare records but it would be finding them and discovering new sounds that would be admired rather than someone having lashed out the price of a small car.

Anything that was rare but crap would surely be cast aside as it would be the finding of good records that would be the key to the scene.

Everyone could afford anything, it would be taste and the ability to find records that mattered.

Wouldn't that be Utopia?

Merry Christmas

Edited by paultp
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Actually, I might have hit on something there. Would it be better if all records, no matter how rare, only cost $10? Rare records would still be rare records but it would be finding them and discovering new sounds that would be admired rather than someone having lashed out the price of a small car.

Anything that was rare but crap would surely be cast aside as it would be the finding of good records that would be the key to the scene.

Everyone could afford anything, it would be taste and the ability to find records that mattered.

Wouldn't that be Utopia?

Merry Christmas

Supply and demand. Exactly what drives the whole of our economy. It;s not just records it's everything.

next you'll be saying that someone should be able to buy my veyron for th price of a skoda :ohmy:

Social source share

I think you just bit on the bone :)

And there was I thinking he wasn't going to comment any more (as per his earlier post) :)

I don't even have a veyron anymore. In these tough times I've had to downgrade to a Lamborghini Countach

Edited by Ferry Tuckwit
Social source share

This is the third time I'm saying to stop bickering. Is it accomplishing anything? You dudes are saying the same stuff back and forth, just taking shots at each other. Do it via PM if you want, I think you can even have multiple people on the conversation so you can have your own private thread. I'm closing the topic if nobody has anything meaningful to add soon.

Social source share