Lee Bates

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

i dont know either.when stayin @ john westons 5year ago.he took me to a soul nite down his way.we started dancin to what we thot was b/paterson.then there was a instremental bit,we looked at eachother(not in that way)this aint b/paterson.by time we got to the deck the guy took the record off.askd john couple o years later if he found out what it was yet.he said it was lp version.he lied.i found out myself it was entertainers.also every copy ive seen has diff hmc design to my one.my hmc is just plain block letters.rest have a we box or something like that round hmc. :wicked:

Social source share

he said it was lp version.he lied

Maybe not - there is an Entertainers LP - very rare & obscure, on a different label (which I can't recall right now). Also contains the two stepper 'I'm Leaving' by Barry Duke which appears on a 45 on Choice Cut. Same label as Ron Henderson - Gemini Lady :yes:

Girf

Social source share

Yes you are right Sepia about the box around HMC with records also in block (whitte) lettering underneath. Copy I have is turquoise with a darker blue lettering....seen white ones whioch I presue are demos, but are not sure of this. There is no year. Bit of a mystery one unless anybody else has any details.....

Social source share

This version was first played at Cleethorpes Winter Gardens in 1982-3 by either Adam or Robin Salter (can't recall which) soon after I started playing the Bobby Patterson version there.

It was played as a fairly new release at the time and I always thought that (despite the NYC origin) it was part of a batch of 'discoveries' at the time that had been released for the US Beach scene. These included Fantastic Shakers 'Biggest Mistake' and Debby Dobbins 'Glad I Found You' which were pretty big at the same time.

But, like you, I know nothing about the group! :thumbsup:

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Having just picked up The Entertainers version of Bobby Pattersons classic "I'm in love with you" on HMC outta NYC I was struck with the fact that I know bugger all about them. Anybody have any details or info on them??

The Entertainers who performed "I'm In Love With You" are alive and well and performing in Carolina.

A fair few years ago (about 1997/98) I tracked down the Group online in a vain attempt to obtain copies of this disc.

It became apparent they either didn't have any, or just weren't interested in locating copies (plenty of ads and links to, as then current CDs , performance schedules arrived, but that was all.

Here is a photo of the group from 1997/98

post-4623-1146557990.jpg

And here is a more recent photo

post-4623-1146558974.jpg

They have recorded a couple of albums, a fair few singles (Cool Me Out, Anyway You Want It, Ten Ways Of Loving You, etc) and obviously old and new stuff on CD's and CD compilations.

Cheers

Mick

https://northern-soul-records.com

Social source share

This version was first played at Cleethorpes Winter Gardens in 1982-3 by either Adam or Robin Salter (can't recall which) soon after I started playing the Bobby Patterson version there.

It was played as a fairly new release at the time and I always thought that (despite the NYC origin) it was part of a batch of 'discoveries' at the time that had been released for the US Beach scene. These included Fantastic Shakers 'Biggest Mistake' and Debby Dobbins 'Glad I Found You' which were pretty big at the same time.

But, like you, I know nothing about the group! :thumbsup:

Sean Hampsey

Hi Sean (hope you're well!), Yes me and Ady Connolly were browsing in a shop in Myrtle Beach in '83 (95% sure that was the year), when "I'm In Love With You" came on the shop's record player. It had just come in that day as a new release. We got copies for ourselves and brought Sam one back. It was a spine tingling moment!

Social source share

Hi Sean (hope you're well!), Yes me and Ady Connolly were browsing in a shop in Myrtle Beach in '83 (95% sure that was the year), when "I'm In Love With You" came on the shop's record player. It had just come in that day as a new release. We got copies for ourselves and brought Sam one back. It was a spine tingling moment!

Hi Robin,

Been a VERY long time mate...(23 years!!!) but me auld memory still fairly well intact. I thought it was you that had it.

Amazing that people are just 'discovering' this record all over again.

Still don't think it's up to the Bobby Patterson version... but I could see the appeal at the time.

I dig the Flipside too, a great version of 'Hot On A Thing'.

How's old Sammy doing (Neil) not seen or heard of him either in a long while.

Came across an old tape of yours last month with some cracking stuff on it (Omni - Out Of My Hands - Fountain etc.). You always had good taste. Brought back happy memories I'll say.

Keep in touch eh.

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!