Not Wanting To Steal A Thread But What Is Your Fav. Gene Chandler Track?

Guest lolmil

• Replies 38
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Gawd, what a question!

For me, Gene has always been up there with Willie Tee as the guy with the slickest repertoire ever to grace our dancefloors.

But.. it's got to be......... the immortal....

Nothing Can Stop Me

Though I adore pretty much everything by him (even the later 20th Century material).

N. Soul wise....... I Can Take Care........After the Laughter..... I Won't Need You....... all irresistible

Off the dancefloor.... got to be 'To Be A Lover' 'I Fooled You This Time' and 'To Choose' for me.

Just love him.

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Noticeable that everyone is mentioning his Checker recordings - got to admit that I have these cuts on 45 and they are great mid tempo soul.

Know that he cut at least one LP during this time. Anyone have a copy and is there anything of note which didnt find release as a 45 ?

Take care

John

Top tune. What about "I Hate To Be The One To Say"...superb! Can't find the soundclip, but here's "After Laughter" anyways........ :ohmy:

-Mike

Social source share

I can't decide...

I was raised on Gene (Major and the Impressions) and its really hard to pick just one. I think its probably between You Threw A Lucky Punch, There Was A Time, Nothing Can Stop Me and Think Nothing About It.

I was fortunate enough to see Gene at Yarmouth weekender when I was 19. The poor man had a deranged girl throw herself at him on the Friday night... then when he performed the next night, he came out with his cloak and walking stick... Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Earl... ooh I'm all tingly just thinking about it

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

For me it has to be the superb Good Times. Combines the voice of Gene Chandler and the writing genius of Curtis Mayfield. Sublime summer soul. :ohmy:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest 50box

For me it has to be the superb Good Times. Combines the voice of Gene Chandler and the writing genius of Curtis Mayfield. Sublime summer soul. :ohmy:

My fav has always been Bet You Never Thought

Also like After The Laughter

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

I'd actually go for the one on the other thread meself 'Without you here' on Curtom.

Desert Island disc for me. Although as we all know, there a guzzilion others of his that are just fantastic!

Cheers

Steve

To be honest mate when I first heard this at Yarmuff when ever it was :ohmy: I was floor'd and like you it still does it to me every time I hear.

One of the best things I have ever heard, and I mean that ! Just stunning !

Social source share

It's got to be Mr Bigshot, Wigan 1973, I'm back there every time I play it, on the dancefloor next to Booper, getting sprayed with his sweat every time he spins! The most atmospheric record ever, IMO

Then "Bet you never thought", the Brunswick recording, not Constellation. Sheer Magic.

Social source share

My sister had the "There Was A Time" album in '72/73 before I had hit the allnighter scene. I remember flicking through the tracks and "Bet You Never Thought" really did something for me. At the time I thought it was just not "Northern" enough. It is actually so laid back it is horizontal. Love It.

07___Bet_You_never_thought.mp3

Paul

(Still want a Mr Big Shot mp3)

Edited by Paul r
Social source share

"Bet You Never Thought", but for the atmoshere & memories it's got to be "Mr Big Shot".

Has anyone got a decent mp3 of Mr Big Shot?

Paul

FULLY SECONDED :thumbsup: Brill
Social source share

Fully Seconded on suicide too awesome bleeder and hits you square on Brilliant Soulsider!

Does for me been there had it in me face and felt it bad! so bad couldnt play a proper tune for years after never really knew what ide got and had been listening to until it got me so!

Enough! :wicked:thumbsup.gif

But now ime sorted! :thumbsup: Good and proper!

Edited by Mr M
Social source share

Actually got Bet you never thought out of a J anderson soul pack and same applies at the time didnt think it northern enough! Sat in me box for years until i had grown up a bit,

Spun it and thought christ how did i miss that Brilliant !

flip was ok too but cant think what it was?

(without digging it out what was it ? do you remember)

Edited by Mr M
Social source share

My sister had the "There Was A Time" album in '72/73 before I had hit the allnighter scene. I remember flicking through the tracks and "Bet You Never Thought" really did something for me. At the time I thought it was just not "Northern" enough. It is actually so laid back it is horizontal. Love It.

07___Bet_You_never_thought.mp3

Paul

(Still want a Mr Big Shot mp3)

I had the album on British MCA myself , 'Bet you never thought' was my favourite track.Then one day last year a record came over from America just forget what it was and in with it was ' Bet you never thought ' on a 45rpm.So at the Soul-source Dayer at Grantham i gave the LP away has a raffle prize thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I had the album on British MCA myself , 'Bet you never thought' was my favourite track.Then one day last year a record came over from America just forget what it was and in with it was ' Bet you never thought ' on a 45rpm.So at the Soul-source Dayer at Grantham i gave the LP away has a raffle prize :yes:

I won it!! :lol: ,

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert