This R&b Thing ?

Guest Dave Ward

ok, looks like legs have gone on this particular discussion

so .looking at closing this at 1700hrs ish

any concerns on this then please pm me

thanks

mike

Okay, my last chance then to remind you all to visit and sample the R&B sessions in the Redemption Room on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights at the Prestatyn Weekender.  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

So what is the stuff that's a bit clip clop Doris Day ish?  I once went to a night where one of the DJ's Murv Parnell or something played an hour of the most soulless music I have ever heard at a soul night. I really thought I was at the wrong venue, yet the floor was busy.

it,s because  they're middle aged........nothing wrong with being middle aged.........ya just don,t have to act like ya mum and dad did :thumbsup:  :D

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Hiya Alison (Mrs Positive) :wink: 

To be clear here - My 'R 'n' B' Stinks' jibe was done 'tongue in cheek', although unfortunately some did take offence - which is incredible if you know me at all (I think some read it the way they wanted to actually)

I never did like the 'R 'n' B' stuff really, I thought I liked Jazz, but it was always Dom and his Soul stuff 'freshly outa The 100 Club' that really did it for me......just took me a while to work out 'what was what' :wink: 

My 'jibe' was done in reaction to going to venues and hearing the R'n' B that just didn't 'do it' for atmosphere - I found myself getting frustrated, and going outside......I have since seen that there is good R 'n' B, and bad R 'n' B - The ones who play the bad stuff let the ones that play the good stuff down badly because people end up writing it off completely (As I did)

That also goes for any genre - I'm well aware of the Beat Ballads that may stop people listening to lovely Mid-tempo Soul that should be played more (imho)....It's called 'Mid', not 'slow'......It's a matter of really seeing who's playing the good stuff and who ain't - as I said that goes for any genre.

I confess to have loved Latin Soul........I blame Mace and Dave Ingle for that, crumbs that was a long time ago mate, it was the 80's when you D.Jed for me  ........Rhythmm......Rithum......Ridum......Damn. damn, damn :excl::D  

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Don,t play a whole set of  R&b....play a set with the good stuff mixed in  (good=dance)

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Sorry, I thought we were discussing the ACTUAL genre of the music, not which scene was to first to adopt it as their own....nice to know it can be filed alongside Chapter Five, The Carstairs, J D Bryant and the Theme From Joe 90 as a music genre....

Theme from joe 90...now theres a tune!!.....just pips   glad all over instr :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Ring ring....ring ring...

Ray Agee - Hi Ray Agee here, who's calling.

"Hey Ray, it's your agent Simon, I need you down the studio straight away"

Ray Agee - Why Simon, what's the rush?

"I got this killer Northern Soul track for you to record"

Ray Agee - What the fcuk is Northern Soul?

"Not got a scoobie Ray, but it means your record will be worth thousands of dollars in years to come!

Ray Agee - Woah, so I'm gonna be a rich Northern Soul Artiste of fame and fortune.

"Actually you won't even remember recording it, and won't see a cent, but you owe me big time for convincing me to let you cut a disc by the title of 'The Wobble-Oo"

Ray Agee - Well maybe that could also be a rare and expensive Northern Soul record in years to come?

"Now you're just being a dick Ray, anyway, time is money so get your arse down here pronto'

Ray Agee - Bollox......

how did you know his agents name was SIMON......i thought it was  debert!!

Social source share

I reckon that if a reasonable person heard those two tracks - the trends and the five royales - and then read this, with you fervently insisting that they were different types of music, that one had 'soul' and the other didn't, and that one was brilliant but the other terrible...

they'd think you were barking mad.

.....and they would have a point - Woof! :D 

Social source share

On a related issue - You go on about soul in a sort of scientific lean so here's a question - there's bad soul records so can bad records have soul?

......That's a very good question.....um......um......Yes - I can see (hear) that 'Ike and Tina Turner - Dust My Broom' has Soul, but I don't like it - so it must be a 'bad record with soul' :D

'Shouty Soul' :wink: 

All the best,

Social source share