Gregory Porter - The In Crowd

Guest miff

Yeah it's not a good cover. Not sure if it's the worst thing he's done. That's probably "1960 What" :D

David you shock me, might expect that on here, but not from you, very tasty piece of work that is, and works great in the video. 

I don't think his In Crowd is that bad, but its not any way near his best, as Jordi says the music and the voice don't seem to fit, but I like his vocal on it. 

However he is capable of much, much better, and live he is unbeatable at the moment for me. I think this is his finest moment for me now.  Proper music

Or maybe this, and I believe Mr Cliff Steele has been playing this out, proper DJ. 

Edited by jocko
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

What is a compression hat? I want one  :thumbup:

I quite like this cover - wouldn't necessarily buy it but nice to hear a proper, old fashioned, understated soulful voice in the pop arena, and while the arrangement doesn't exactly rock it has real quality

And anyone who doesn't like '1960 What' must have their compression hat on too tight - one of the best tunes of the last few years - fond memories of Soul Sam ripping up the Cleethorpes modern room with it as a new release

Social source share

He says he can hear himself sing better ... and its his style ... he's made 3 albums ... check out the track  "On my way to Harlem "  tune ""  

At least your headgear is easily distinguishable. What’s the story there?

It’s my jazz hat (laughs). It’s been my thing, it’s been how I’ve been pictured, and how I’ve been out in public for some time now, so this is me. In the tradition of the music, there have been some great hats, and I’m throwing my hat in the ring, no pun intended.

Social source share

Music does not stand still ... we can all hark back to better versions and versions we like more than others .. what is refreshing is that here is someone that is singing with true soul  ... no break for a rap ... no break beat ... no waiting for the drop of the inset of dub step that most put out now .. just well written songs ( most written by him ) and sung really well with great orchestration and arrangement .

He is great live ..and is on a nationwide tour .. go see him if you get the chance ..

Winnie .... you my not like his version of " the in crowd "   and i will say ..i don't really like the internation and jazz gaps he used on it ... but its not dire ...think you may already be wearing an old skool compression hat yourself :))  

Social source share

Music does not stand still ... we can all hark back to better versions and versions we like more than others .. what is refreshing is that here is someone that is singing with true soul  ... no break for a rap ... no break beat ... no waiting for the drop of the inset of dub step that most put out now .. just well written songs ( most written by him ) and sung really well with great orchestration and arrangement .

He is great live ..and is on a nationwide tour .. go see him if you get the chance ..

Winnie .... you my not like his version of " the in crowd "   and i will say ..i don't really like the internation and jazz gaps he used on it ... but its not dire ...think you may already be wearing an old skool compression hat yourself :))  

I stand corrected, it's fabulous :)

Social source share

No offence Winnie ... and i'm a newbie on here so have to watch my P's & Q's ... but I do have a real love of music ..old and new .

I'm a 58 yr old Scouser now living in London ..that went to Mecca and Wigan from its start as my best mates brother was and is an old Wheel man ( "Mad Sam" Steve Butler ) and we used to go in the loft and get his records down when he went out and play them as he wouldn't let us near them at any other time :)

I work at most of the big music festivals each year and still collect all kinds of vinyl still ... and get to the odd weekender and 100 club do , although dont know anyone close thats into Northern down in London :(

Music plays a huge part in my life .. and it gives so much more than pleasure to the ear ... so forgive my indulgence of bigging Mr Porter up a little ..he is a real talent :) and thanks to all the members that have helped me so far with various things on this site ... some really true gents

SteveG

post-32101-0-67763300-1409907235_thumb.j

• Helpful 2
Social source share

No offence Winnie ... and i'm a newbie on here so have to watch my P's & Q's ... but I do have a real love of music ..old and new .

I'm a 58 yr old Scouser now living in London ..that went to Mecca and Wigan from its start as my best mates brother was and is an old Wheel man ( "Mad Sam" Steve Butler ) and we used to go in the loft and get his records down when he went out and play them as he wouldn't let us near them at any other time :)

I work at most of the big music festivals each year and still collect all kinds of vinyl still ... and get to the odd weekender and 100 club do , although dont know anyone close thats into Northern down in London :(

Music plays a huge part in my life .. and it gives so much more than pleasure to the ear ... so forgive my indulgence of bigging Mr Porter up a little ..he is a real talent :) and thanks to all the members that have helped me so far with various things on this site ... some really true gents

SteveG

No offence taken, differing opinions on music isn't something that bothers me too much, I don't like the record, the jazz backing makes it too disjointed for me to appreciate that's all. His voice is good, I wouldn't contest that.

It won't take you long to dispatch the minding of Ps and Qs to the recycling bin, there's not too much standing on ceremony on SS  :thumbsup:

Win :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I like Gregory Porter. "On My Way to Harlem" is fantastic. "1960 What" is not. It's a bloody mess imo. A pretty tuneless one at that. Not everything that Soul Sam plays is great unfortunately. Particularly when it comes to new material.

Edited by daved
Social source share

Gregory does have a great voice and sense of style (although I favour the early 70s Irish Balaclava and camo jacket look myself) but TIC isn't one of his finer moments IMHO because as many have said its a bit too disjointed to my ears. The voice and backing just don't blend sadly which is a shame because I love Liquid Spirit and most of his other stuff. Different strokes for different folks. And btw I do listen to all forms of Soulful grooves including Jazz (The Kent Mo Mod Jazz series is superb!) but sadly Gregory its a NO from me  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The version 

Thats a memory jerker Sunnysoul! Used to be played in the late 70's/early 80's in the Basment Blues Nites in Hitchin held in peoples basements (obviously) that were sweaty cramped smoke filled fantastic affairs - wall to wall Mods Soulies Skins and fantastic music. 

Social source share

Gregory's first album "Water" is great and "1960 What" is a massive TUNE .... with great lyrics that really taker a hard look at what was happening at that time ... Ill give you that's he's no Gil Scot H ....when it comes to penning real reflective meaning lyrics , but for a guy that has been singing for a while and only really got his break on Jools Hollands show some years back ...

Hey .. he's not Lou Rawls or Bill Withers I'll grant you ... but there are so few black people that want to sing good old fashioned SOUL nowadays ... Sharon Jones ... Faith Evans ... Angie Stone ... Anthony Hamilton .. and a very good fellow Scouser ... Esco Willaims

Social source share

Oh yea ..his compression hat ... its to allow him to hear himself sing ... like when some singers put one finger in their ear to block out the music and listen to their own tone .... well that's what it started off at .. now its just synonymous of him , so its his style ...

and have to say .. " The in Crowd " keeps me on the out of the crowd too :)no giving it 5 from me ... ( there's an age thing only some will remember )

Edited by stevegods
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!