Grapevine Records

Pete S

1. So has any body got red 3 Leos Sunship on 7 inch cos I need one, a demo if possible  cos I've never seen one, seen hundreds of 12s never on 7 issue or demo 
Edited by miff
Social source share

I don't know how you can say that almost every 70s record released by Grapevine is crap. 1 star for Leo's Sunship. You must be joking!

Well I wrote that 22 years ago so I probably wasn't joking, and having relistened to Leo's Sunship, I'd now give it half a star so I was right first time  :D

Social source share

Good scanning through. There was a Grapevine contract for the Superbs I Wanna Do It With You Baby but it never was finalised.

I got a Jimmy Burns from Sailor Vernon a well known blues collector's record list for a quid. I didn't even know it was rare I just got it because I knew it was on Grapevine and fancied an original. Sailor Paul told me later that he had loads of calls all offering much more money but he told 'em I'd got it fair and square.

Social source share

look.....it's like this the tamangoes is on washpan, the original u.s. issue...as far as the u.k. is concerned, grapevine is the first and only legitimate issue...there's isn't necessarily a problem with playing it...is there?..it may not be u.s. ovo but it IS u.k. ovo....that applies really to all of their releases..all first timers in this country, anything after , of course, IS a second issue. djs were playing tunes on stateside and various other u.k. outlets when they were already available on u.s. issues but of course in the early 70's the vast majority wouldn't have been aware of that, because imports were only just beginning to filter through, even though they were mostly 6 to even 8 years old. collecting on a vast scale now, is making it nigh on impossible to pay for, let alone obtain the tunes...as the younger generations are finding out..we were lucky in our day remember...even up to the early 80's stuff was literally giveaway potential...even at stafford, yet because of stafford appreciation of these cast-offs was more acute, til eventually all things must pass and abundance dries up to a trickle...everything then suddenly has a value. grapevine made some of the genuine obscurities available to a larger record buying audience much earlier and with the passing decades some of the releases have seen a surge in demand because of the former situation...which brings us up to date. i don't think anyone has any quibbles about spinning betty boo because it was a completely unissued track..and the tamangoes was one of just a handful of projects that was withdrawn...so the quandry is: if everybody had £4k to buy a copy of the washpan issue, there wouldn't be enough to go round anyway...and as the officially withdrawn u.k. issue is the only way of obtaining and playing it...why not?......

Social source share

look.....it's like this the tamangoes is on washpan, the original u.s. issue...as far as the u.k. is concerned, grapevine is the first and only legitimate issue...there's isn't necessarily a problem with playing it...is there?..it may not be u.s. ovo but it IS u.k. ovo....that applies really to all of their releases..all first timers in this country, anything after , of course, IS a second issue. djs were playing tunes on stateside and various other u.k. outlets when they were already available on u.s. issues but of course in the early 70's the vast majority wouldn't have been aware of that, because imports were only just beginning to filter through, even though they were mostly 6 to even 8 years old. collecting on a vast scale now, is making it nigh on impossible to pay for, let alone obtain the tunes...as the younger generations are finding out..we were lucky in our day remember...even up to the early 80's stuff was literally giveaway potential...even at stafford, yet because of stafford appreciation of these cast-offs was more acute, til eventually all things must pass and abundance dries up to a trickle...everything then suddenly has a value. grapevine made some of the genuine obscurities available to a larger record buying audience much earlier and with the passing decades some of the releases have seen a surge in demand because of the former situation...which brings us up to date. i don't think anyone has any quibbles about spinning betty boo because it was a completely unissued track..and the tamangoes was one of just a handful of projects that was withdrawn...so the quandry is: if everybody had £4k to buy a copy of the washpan issue, there wouldn't be enough to go round anyway...and as the officially withdrawn u.k. issue is the only way of obtaining and playing it...why not?......

Rob, why the f*ck are you arguing with yourself?   :lol:

Nobody's talking about playing anything on this thread..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!