Jimmy Raye "philly Dog Around The World"

Guest Ross

Hi Guys,

First post on here so I best start by saying hello.

Can any of you let me know how I can tell if my copy of Jimmy Raye "Philly Dog around the world" on KKC is original or a boot? And how much it's worth.

I have asked a couple of people and not had any definite answers only to say that the boots are good copies. One did offer me £150.00 for it though!

Thanks in advance for you help.

Ross.

Weston - Super - Mare.

Social source share

Hi Guys,

Can any of you let me know how I can tell if my copy of Jimmy Raye "Philly Dog around the world" on KKC is original or a boot? And how much it's worth.

I have asked a couple of people and not had any definite answers only to say that the boots are good copies. One did offer me £150.00 for it though!

Ross.

Weston - Super - Mare.

We would have to see the record in question,wouldnt we?,wellcome Ross.......to the nut-house :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi Guys,

Ross.

Weston - Super - Mare.

if its a boot and they are offering £150 then your quids in mate :thumbsup: If its an original keep hold of it. Can you scan it, describe matrix detail on run out etc? The soul detectives will be able to tell if original or not from that

Grant

Social source share

Hi Guys,

Ross.

Weston - Super - Mare.

Here's a scan of an original if that helps

jimmie_raye693.jpg(post-3008-1155216117. Dave

Social source share

Hi Guys,

Ross.

Weston - Super - Mare.

Welcome Ross....

It's a boot if has "missing" Arranged by STICK EVANS credits under TIME: 2.45 is a give away.... and strangely the "extra" JODAX wording before the (BMI) also....

But also print definition is not as clear and defined on the brighter blue coloured label, not as "rich"....

Oh.... and while your looking, no small undefinable stamp in run off.... just S-002-B....

Strange figure to offer you unless "buyer" thinks/knows it's an original and trying to get a steal.... more like £400+.... but £10- for the boot....

Social source share

Hi Guys,

Ross.

Weston - Super - Mare.

Ross mate, how're you doing? Haven't seen you in ages. Remember puzzling over this in that little do on Weston seafront about 4 years ago.

Best.

MARK WHITE, Cardiff

Social source share

Welcome Ross....

It's a boot if has "missing" Arranged by STICK EVANS credits under TIME: 2.45 is a give away.... and strangely the "extra" JODAX wording before the (BMI) also....

But also print definition is not as clear and defined on the brighter blue coloured label, not as "rich"....

Oh.... and while your looking, no small undefinable stamp in run off.... just S-002-B....

Strange figure to offer you unless "buyer" thinks/knows it's an original and trying to get a steal.... more like £400+.... but £10- for the boot....

there is a small matrix stamp on the original in the run out

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

Ross mate, how're you doing? Haven't seen you in ages. Remember puzzling over this in that little do on Weston seafront about 4 years ago.

Best.

MARK WHITE, Cardiff

hey hey I wonder where that was then!

How are you two? Ross you still doing the Pig - that seems to be on all the time now!

I think I've seen Ross since I last saw you Mark, that was ages ago.

Mike

Social source share

Hi Guy's,

Thanks alot for the advice and help on this. As soon as I get home from work I'll have a look and let you know. £400.00 fingers crossed!

Mark, long time no see bud, as Mike said I'm still around and doing a bit of a spin every now and then at a local do in Weston we have about once a month, It's really an oldies night trying to educate people but I do try and slip a few gems every now and again. Also try to get to Grand Atlantic and Bridgwater when I can. Hope to catch you soon.

Mike, yes mate still doing the pig and truffle, had to miss the last couple due to the Jiu Jitsu and will miss the next couple to as I Fly out to Rio at the end of the month for the world champs. Yeh they are doing a few more nights in there but nothing to do with me as its more of a sixty's night Motown, ska and mod stuff.

Cheers,

Ross

Social source share

Are you sure you're right about this info.

My copy which I got in person from USA in lot where there wasn't a boot in sight has HITCH 'N' POST

JODAX [bMI]

TIME 2:35

Kinda darkish blue and very sharp writing.

Checking Manship and Popsike the pictures of the originals appear the same as mine.

ROD

https://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4704800239

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/rarest-of-the-rare/33

Social source share

I'm with Ted, Rod and Mark W on this one........the copy i have is the same as Rod's and the same as on John Manships site......here's the punch line on all this i bought mine from Dave Thorley when he sold most of his 60's records first time around about 20 years ago i bet for £150.00 if my memory serves me correctly...if it's a boot then i'm a dutchman, i agree with Ted could there not be two authentic presses on this one or has Dave posted the wrong scan??? or got them around the wrong way? as Chalky said there are light blue pressings/boots of this but never is mine,Teds or Rod's a boot sorry not having it...lol

This is as clear as mud....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

I'm with Ted, Rod and Mark W on this one........the copy i have is the same as Rod's and the same as on John Manships site......here's the punch line on all this i bought mine from Dave Thorley when he sold most of his 60's records first time around about 20 years ago i bet for £150.00 if my memory serves me correctly...if it's a boot then i'm a dutchman, i agree with Ted could there not be two authentic presses on this one or has Dave posted the wrong scan??? or got them around the wrong way? as Chalky said there are light blue pressings/boots of this but never is mine,Teds or Rod's a boot sorry not having it...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I've just had a look in John Manship's - Million Dollars Of Rare Soul book, if you have this book check out page 102 top right of the page see example scan as Rod's, Ted's and mine so i would suggest the other scan is the bootleg and not this, we can't all be wrong can we?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

wacko.gifwacko.gifwacko.gif very clear Mark :shades::wub:

Social source share

Ted/Mark there is a small indecipherable stamp about an inch in front of S-002B and kinda diagonally opposite there's either a stamp or maybe scratched in something else it's impossible to make out without a microscope.

Compared to the blue boot that's been posted the colour is darker and writing much sharper and defined.

ROD

Social source share

I've just had a look in John Manship's - Million Dollars Of Rare Soul book, if you have this book check out page 102 top right of the page see example scan as Rod's, Ted's and mine so i would suggest the other scan is the bootleg and not this, we can't all be wrong can we?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Ok visit www.jimmieraye.com and it looks like Mr Massey, Mr Shard and Mr Bicknell have boots.......lol or is the scan on Jimmie's site a boot???? shall we send him a message and ask him...lol

I'm gonna have a few cold ones as this is enough to drive anyone to drink.....Northern Soul don't you just love it.....lol

Mark Bicknell.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Ted/Mark there is a small indecipherable stamp about an inch in front of S-002B and kinda diagonally opposite there's either a stamp or maybe scratched in something else it's impossible to make out without a microscope.

Compared to the blue boot that's been posted the colour is darker and writing much sharper and defined.

ROD

Same as mine then Rod and i bet the same as Ted's, also in John's new Million Dollar Book, I've sent Jimmie Raye a message to see if he can shed any light on this, if nothing else it will be a blast if he comes on here for a chat...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

ROD

Hi Rod

mine is as you describe and im sure mark has never played a boot in his life :shades:

ted

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

So much confusion, The one I sold you came from Tim Ashebend back in the late 70's when he got a few from Jimmy. The one I have now is the first of the two scans and is an original I picked up in the US mid 80's, from a DJ on the east coast. It was clearly used and loved when I got it.

Dave

Social source share

So much confusion, The one I sold you came from Tim Ashebend back in the late 70's when he got a few from Jimmy. The one I have now is the first of the two scans and is an original I picked up in the US mid 80's, from a DJ on the east coast. It was clearly used and loved when I got it.

Dave

So are we saying that there really are 2 original pressings?

Social source share

I got a wiered test LP from italy,with Philly dog,on it...........differant types of music classical,instrumentals,etc;and a J Brown trakc :( looks well good,and loads of stamps in the run-out,plays cool too :D anybody else got one,or is it rarer than the 45?,i think its J Raye,but no artists on the label :D

Social source share

I got a wiered test LP from italy,with Philly dog,on it...........differant types of music classical,instrumentals,etc;and a J Brown trakc :( looks well good,and loads of stamps in the run-out,plays cool too :D anybody else got one,or is it rarer than the 45?,i think its J Raye,but no artists on the label :D

can you post a soundclip up Ken?

Social source share

Comparing both, Daves copy has, arranged by under time, the Jimmie Raye is different, the lettering is fuller/rounding to thin.

Petes lettering is more square and clinical - the C in KKC on Daves is thicker and finally the S-002A is straight and equal in size - but Petes has a smaller S and the 002 is slightly above the A. (no dirty jokes plse :D )

Daves copy looks original to me, but what do I know :D

Dave and Pete could you look and see if either of your copies have a mini matrix stamp with something that looks like "pes".

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

ROD

Hi guys

Think that clinches it, there are two original presses. Mine also has the same marks in the run out grooves, but is a different label design.. Now which is rarer :D

Social source share

The Popsike and J Manships are same then Daves is completely different - so is it poss Popsike n J Manships 1st release then short time after decided/had forgotten to put Arranged by on so came about Dave's copie - Pete's looks like a boot.

Karen :D

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

The Popsike and J Manships are same then Daves is completely different - so is it poss Popsike n J Manships 1st release then short time after decided/had forgotten to put Arranged by on so came about Dave's copie - Pete's looks like a boot.

Karen :D

Always the voice of reason. Give you a ring soon somethings afoot

Love Dave

Social source share

can you post a soundclip up Ken?

Would if i knew where it was, :D i`ll have look later :( might be about a week,finding it,but will post sample when found :D start a new thread even.

Social source share

Hi,

Now I'm confused!!

Having had a quick look, mine is the same as the second scan so I think it's a boot (blast, should have taken the money). Then again I loved the track when I bought it back in the late 80's and still do.

I'll have a good read of this thread again over the weekend and try and get my head around it.

Thanks again folks.

Ross.

Edited by Ross
Social source share

OK I've read the whole thing through now and have to agree mine is different to Manship and Popsike, but is the same as the one on Jimmie Raye's site, so must be 2 pressings

Seems there must be Dave....

Probably explains why a few people were duped and bought the boot back then asuming it was real.... as it's a direct copy of the ones like Ted and Mark's albeit a brighter blue label....

The small indefineable matrix mark seems to be the only sure way of telling.... as someone stated earlier looks like "pes" or summat....

I only put up the info that I knew of re the missing and extra bits on the boot.... having only seen/held a couple of real copies, both were like your scan (and as on JR's site)....

Looks like you learn summat everyday :( ....

p.s. and let's face it.... Ted and Mark would never play a boot :D .... or is that for another thread :D ....

Social source share

Guest rachel

Hi,

Now I'm confused!!

Having had a quick look, mine is the same as the second scan so I think it's a boot (blast, should have taken the money). Then again I loved the track when I bought it back in the late 80's and still do.

I'll have a good read of this thread again over the weekend and try and get my head around it.

Thanks again folks.

Ross.

Welcome aboard Ross - once you've ploughed your way through this lot again, fancy doing us a quick intro in the new members' section? Means we have more idea who we're 'talking to' and you get a free.. er.. upgrade to full member status :D

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showforum=44

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

There are two original pressings.

Manship's guide is normally spot on I think. But in this case I'm pretty sure he's wrong. :D

As Andy Dyson said, the only real way of telling is by listening to them, you can't mistake the sound of a bootleg, especially an 80s boot.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

There are two original pressings.

Manship's guide is normally spot on I think. But in this case I'm pretty sure he's wrong. :D

As Andy Dyson said, the only real way of telling is by listening to them, you can't mistake the sound of a bootleg, especially an 80s boot.

noy so simple in the 80s ihad acopy of this which was slightly different to stus copy he bought of pat brady years earlier took somewhere and showed butch both he daid the matrix one was original he thought the other a boot but sound quality was same on both ....i think andy hutchins bought the supposed boot
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!