Yate, Just A Distant Memory ?

malayka

Guest bazabod_downunder

Couldn't agree more Doris....bought my copy of Ann Sexton - I still love you from Clarkey...5 quid I paid if memory serves.......Dave Greet useta come to Poole sometimes to get our coach to Yate, ppl I remember were Leon & Denis from Glouscester, Craig from Shrewsbury, Frank from Southampton, Sarah Onion & Kim (Desenser)? from Twekesbury, Larry Salter from Wales (Blackwood in Gwent I think)...the Aldershot & Torbay crews....happy bloody days.

Apart from the time that a few of us went up in my old Ford Anglia to Redditch & was stripped searched by the DS twice in one day, once in Worcester then later in Redditch...then to top it all we ended up at Cleo's in Worcester at the YWCA where she was staying after having 7 ppl in the car to be awoken by the police in the morning after compalints about 'men' being in the building...lol...wasn't funny at the time...here is a pic of the car, once was asked at a service station if we were going to Santa Pod..pmsl...what possessed me to paint it I dunno, It even got me to Wigan a couple of times.

I wonder what happened to these ppl...anyone know?

Yate_Mobile.jpg(post-1805-1160359899_thu

The Bj Thomas record was I dont have a mind of my own, other plays that bring that time back to me were Hippo playing Whisky Talking.

Not having a car we used to have to get the bus from Glouester, then stop off at a pub out of town before running the gauntlett of 'the locals' to keep us amused remember receiving loads of bruises from the trolley races outside whilst waiting for the bingo crowd to disappear. Long waits in the morning at the baths getting clean before the dreary journey home....................

Anyone else remember the swinging place and wheelright, whitcombe lodge and the stroud all dayers ?

Oh to have Ian Clarke , dave thorley and some of the others back together again..............

EEEh wern't it great............ :thumbsup:

Doris

Social source share

¹

"I wonder what happened to these ppl...anyone know?"

Well the Aldershot crew are srill kicking about....

mostly meeting up in a pub in Aldershot every Friday night

but then all meeting up every 3 months at Bisley.

regards

Col. - Never one of the original Aldershot lot.

I was far too posh for that.

How my standards have slipped of late.

Social source share

Couldn't agree more Doris....bought my copy of Ann Sexton - I still love you from Clarkey...5 quid I paid if memory serves.......Dave Greet useta come to Poole sometimes to get our coach to Yate, ppl I remember were Leon & Denis from Glouscester,

Leon is still out and about and has a regular do in gloucester i beleive , dave greet still does some local does as well - still good quality music, havent seen Denis for a few years either but he probably isnt into his second childhood like me :unsure: as my mother keeps telling me blush.gif

Found a tape the other day that I had from then - still some good tunes after all these years - crap quality but the magics still there

Doris

Social source share

Couldn't agree more Doris....bought my copy of Ann Sexton - I still love you from Clarkey...5 quid I paid if memory serves.......Dave Greet useta come to Poole sometimes to get our coach to Yate, ppl I remember were Leon & Denis from Glouscester, Craig from Shrewsbury, Frank from Southampton, Sarah Onion & Kim (Desenser)? from Twekesbury, Larry Salter from Wales (Blackwood in Gwent I think)...the Aldershot & Torbay crews....happy bloody days.

Apart from the time that a few of us went up in my old Ford Anglia to Redditch & was stripped searched by the DS twice in one day, once in Worcester then later in Redditch...then to top it all we ended up at Cleo's in Worcester at the YWCA where she was staying after having 7 ppl in the car to be awoken by the police in the morning after compalints about 'men' being in the building...lol...wasn't funny at the time...here is a pic of the car, once was asked at a service station if we were going to Santa Pod..pmsl...what possessed me to paint it I dunno, It even got me to Wigan a couple of times.

I wonder what happened to these ppl...anyone know?

Yate_Mobile.jpg(post-1805-1160359899_thu

yeah, leon is still about so is craig, and larry salter is living in south wales in ebbw vale see him often

wazz.

The Bj Thomas record was I dont have a mind of my own, other plays that bring that time back to me were Hippo playing Whisky Talking.

Not having a car we used to have to get the bus from Glouester, then stop off at a pub out of town before running the gauntlett of 'the locals' to keep us amused remember receiving loads of bruises from the trolley races outside whilst waiting for the bingo crowd to disappear. Long waits in the morning at the baths getting clean before the dreary journey home....................

Anyone else remember the swinging place and wheelright, whitcombe lodge and the stroud all dayers ?

Oh to have Ian Clarke , dave thorley and some of the others back together again..............

EEEh wern't it great............ :unsure:

Doris

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

hi waz yeah i'm still about haven't been to a niter for a while who is doris? seems to know a few of the people who was about then went to bisley a couple of months ago that was like going to yate most of the guy's from newbury,aldershot and surrounding areas were there LEON

TALCUM POWDER SOUL

WWW.GLOUCESTER FM.COM 7PMTO 9PM EVERY WEDNESDAY

Social source share

EEEh wern't it great............ whistling.gif

Doris

To get many of the old Yate dj's together would be a major task

Ian Clark-personal stituation makes unlikely

Steve Smith-lives in Germany

Paul Guntrip, Jacko, Kojac and Jethro-Sadly Passed

Dave Withers-lives in the US

Gary Rushbrooke-Left the scene with no wish to return

Brian S-Who knows

Soul Twins-?

Mack-?

That leaves me, Ady Pountain, Hippo, Tony Ellis, Pep and Blue Max.

I may have missed a few but, not easy to have a true re-union and thats all that left of the dj's that worked over the three promoters that ran it, ho-hum

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Brian S-Who knows

Soul Twins-?

Mack-?

I may have missed a few but, not easy to have a true re-union and thats all that left of the dj's that worked over the three promoters that ran it, ho-hum

Mac "came out" out towards the end of Yate, moved away from Worcs to Birmingham/Derby I think, and no-ones seen or heard of him since. Pity, he was a good sort.

P.S. Don't forget Greety...we could hold the reunion near a kebab shop... whistling.gif

Hippo.

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

bazabod_downunde - Cleo is still in Worcester, we still see her every now and then but she still refuses to come over to the Coppertops Soulnites cos there's too many people she remembers!!!! Plus, you mentioned Pauline; in the original pictures on page one of this thread it shows a group of dancers, well that's Pauline. I've more photo's if you PM me.

Jerry - Mac is seen very occasionally in Malvern, there was a rumour last year that he'd moved back from Derby, where he'd taken up DJ'ing some high energy Disco stuff, but Galli got it confirmed that it was just a visit.

Stroud All-dayer, see photo below. Lovely little room.

StroudGroup_01_1979.jpg(post-2334-116109

Social source share

bazabod_downunde - Cleo is still in Worcester, we still see her every now and then but she still refuses to come over to the Coppertops Soulnites cos there's too many people she remembers!!!! Plus, you mentioned Pauline; in the original pictures on page one of this thread it shows a group of dancers, well that's Pauline. I've more photo's if you PM me.

Jerry - Mac is seen very occasionally in Malvern, there was a rumour last year that he'd moved back from Derby, where he'd taken up DJ'ing some high energy Disco stuff, but Galli got it confirmed that it was just a visit.

Stroud All-dayer, see photo below. Lovely little room.

StroudGroup_01_1979.jpg(post-2334-116109

Ah Stroud nick, not a nice place paid a one night only visit there after a soul nite at the Sub-Rooms.

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

Brian S-Who knows

Soul Twins-?

Mack-?

I may have missed a few but, not easy to have a true re-union and thats all that left of the dj's that worked over the three promoters that ran it, ho-hu

Dave

You'll find Gary Rushbrook watching MAN UTD every saturday I've had a few pint with him before the match LEON

TALCUM POWDER SOUL EVERY WEDNESDAY 7PM TO 9PM

WWW.GLOUCESTERFM.COM IN THE GLOUCESTER AREA 96.6FM ps dave you played the sex pistol's at yate

Edited by Glawsters Best
Social source share

Ah Stroud nick, not a nice place paid a one night only visit there after a soul nite at the Sub-Rooms.

I remember little scroats blaggin money off Wally to look after his car out side the sub rooms, classy.

And there was that place near the Railway pub, a working mens club or summit, had to fight our way out of there when the toothless locals decided we danced like girls. I just hid behind Banger and Dicker. :thumbsup:

Lovely Cotswold village, Stroud. :lol:

Social source share

I remember little scroats blaggin money off Wally to look after his car out side the sub rooms, classy.

And there was that place near the Railway pub, a working mens club or summit, had to fight our way out of there when the toothless locals decided we danced like girls. I just hid behind Banger and Dicker. shhh.gif

Lovely Cotswold village, Stroud. :lol:

Trust me the lovely locals were great by comparison with the local plod. Put in the back of a meat wagon for the 5 min trip to the nick. Took 20 mins and a good kicking. Bring back community policing :thumbsup:

Now Dursley, my home town much more civilized. No meat wagon, just a kicking :lol:

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Trust me the lovely locals were great by comparison with the local plod. Put in the back of a meat wagon for the 5 min trip to the nick. Took 20 mins and a good kicking. Bring back community policing :lol:

The only contact with the law in Stroud I had was outside the Marshall Rooms one all-dayer when a young officer accosted me and said "'ere, you were in the year below me at school!" I probably verballed him to boredom..... :lol:

Great memories of my only triple header - Egham niter on the Friday, Marshall Rooms all-dayer the next day, and then straight down to Yate in the snow. Oh yes, I'd do it all again!!

Hippo.

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Like you Doris I have a tape (some what battered) of Yate dated Aug 1978, recording is absolute pants but the atmosphere just jumps out & smacks you round the back of the head, fugging magic!

Baz

Social source share

Got a flyer from way back.

sorry for the picture, hope you can see it ok

dates for sat / sun /7/8 april and 21st and 22nd

2006_03170042.JPG(post-3637-1161555331.j

2006_03170042.JPG(post-3637-1161555394_t

Edited by gibber
Social source share

yate_boys.jpg(post-1148-1161557435_thumbyate_dancers.jpg(post-1148-1161557459_thHi last job before bedtime. Thought I'd scan a couple of pics from the archives.

Yate was special cos it was our niter, especially when Dinksy ran it. Loved what someone wrote earlier about more going on in the car park sometimes than in the niter itself - how true (sigh) although the gear made some activities difficult.

Tony E

Pictures show the dance floor and Me (looking chubby) Clarkie, Wid, Roland, I think Dave Wise hidden + another. more to follow - watch this space

Social source share

yate_boys.jpg(post-1148-1161557435_thumbyate_dancers.jpg(post-1148-1161557459_thHi last job before bedtime. Thought I'd scan a couple of pics from the archives.

Yate was special cos it was our niter, especially when Dinksy ran it. Loved what someone wrote earlier about more going on in the car park sometimes than in the niter itself - how true (sigh) although the gear made some activities difficult.

Tony E

Pictures show the dance floor and Me (looking chubby) Clarkie, Wid, Roland, I think Dave Wise hidden + another. more to follow - watch this space

Even with so little of him showing, Dave Wise!!!!!!!!

How you doing mate

Dave

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Brian S-Who knows

Soul Twins-?

Mack-?

Mak is living in Yorkshire,Barnsley area hes got a factory there,if its the same Mak,i think so?

Social source share

yate_ad.jpg(post-1148-1161600206_thumb.jyate_78.jpg(post-1148-1161600227_thumb.jmick.jpg(post-1148-1161600252_thumb.jpgme_79.jpg(post-1148-1161600273_thumb.jpgclarkie.jpg(post-1148-1161600287_thumb.j

I'm fine Dave, out of work but fine, gives me time to do this.....

pic of me adey and mick taken at a do in Newbury before Yate - I just thought that people should see Mick Smith's barnet. Me the dj Yate 2nd anniversary July '79. Me Adey & Roger (he doesn't change much does he?) 1978. All others not dated.

l' autre Tone

budge.jpg(post-1148-1161600307_thumb.jpg

Social source share

yate_ad.jpg(post-1148-1161600206_thumb.jyate_78.jpg(post-1148-1161600227_thumb.jmick.jpg(post-1148-1161600252_thumb.jpgme_79.jpg(post-1148-1161600273_thumb.jpgclarkie.jpg(post-1148-1161600287_thumb.j

I'm fine Dave, out of work but fine, gives me time to do this.....

pic of me adey and mick taken at a do in Newbury before Yate - I just thought that people should see Mick Smith's barnet. Me the dj Yate 2nd anniversary July '79. Me Adey & Roger (he doesn't change much does he?) 1978. All others not dated.

l' autre Tone

Love the wallpaper behind Mick

Social source share

Hiya Dave and Tony (Ellis)!

Yate was always a crack (even took my Mum's labrador there once). Usually trouble with the locals coming out from their shindig beforehand. Found a pic outside with Eamsie, Jacko and Roland, can't remember who the others are!! Any ideas? Also my membership card.

Hope to see you soon! Sue XX

post-4311-1161633435_thumb.jpg

post-4311-1161633465_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Yate was always a crack (even took my Mum's labrador there once). Usually trouble with the locals coming out from their shindig beforehand. Found a pic outside with Eamsie, Jacko and Roland, can't remember who the others are!! Any ideas? Also my membership card.

Far right hand side is Gilly from Burton

Hope your enjoying the record

Love

Dave

Social source share

Hi Sue

I think I was in the Yate car park in the back of my cortina with your dog that night, cos I seem to remember being with someone that had a big tongue was a bit drooly. :rolleyes: ponged a bit as well! woof woof!

Bloke in front row on right is Dick Alban from Reading

t' udder tone

Social source share

Hey up Sue.

Mrs Soulsmith says 3rd from left is Guy Warner from Woking

Col.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Ey up Brickie,

Nice photo, havent got that one - must make the effort to scan some of mine!! Tone is right thats my old mate Dick from Reading, the one on the left was Paul i think from Newbury - used to go out with Jackos sister if i remember rightly. Just saw Gilly at Prestatyn - first ive seen him in 20 years - did quite a bit of talking - then & now whistling.gif

See you at Bisley,

Al

Social source share

As we didn't have cars in the 70's and could get to Wigan by train, we only ever went to Yate once, in 79-80 I think.

This was on one occasion when Kev Griffin's girlfriend (who could drive but didn't have a car) hired a minibus. The idea was we would go down to Brighton, pick up Graham Constantine, and then drive to Southampton, pick up "The Wid", and then up via Newbury to Yate.

I can't remember much of the night - would have been around 1980 - Dave Withers was guest DJ on the night, and we all thought it was good to hear Dave out and about. Seem to recall Cheryl Berdell was big at the time...oh and part of the Soussan record collection "appeared" for sale that night as well via "Colin Bee" etc. so mucho flim-flamming and jostling around the record boxes! All very hazy now, and suffice to say I didn't really know any of the bods on this thread at the time, apart from the DJ's.

Going back I seem to recall stopping off at Wid's aunties house for a cup of tea, but that's really it....very dim memories.

I think if we had cars at the time it would have been our regular haunt, the place sounded really good - and obviously hosted some great nights too.

We did venture to an allnighter at Abingdon, a do at Newbury and also an allnighter or two in Bournemouth at this time as well but then Kev split with his girlfirend so it was back to "billy no cars".

Social source share

i went to yate 5 times and it was a great place for buying tunes. clarky and tim ashibendi always had choice tunes. went with richard douglas and his girl from saundersfoot, sue first time. always wanted to meet up with christine mcCullugh from gloucester. lived in wellington street next to the place with the bodies in white city . worse thing about yate was the sun coming in at 4 30 during the summer.

Social source share

always wanted to meet up with christine mcCullugh from gloucester. lived in wellington street next to the place with the bodies in white city . worse thing about yate was the sun coming in at 4 30 during the summer.

Funny that-just walked down wellington street on my way into work this morning...bedsit land!

Yes, I well remember the fuss about the light coming in - though they did finally get some thick curtains up. it was OK in winter, but when it got light early in summer it could take the edge off the night a bit. Not completely though!

Hippo.

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...

Ah yes Yate what great times, we first went one night in a Ford Anglia little Ronnie bought for a tenner and after he had 10 mins of driving lessons on a pub car park.

Me Azza Dave Shaw Ronnie and Steve Slater how we got there ill never know in one piece but in the morning after running into the back of Neil Russels car while still on the car park it just packed in at Frankley services so we left it n got lifts into the Locarno

The Second Anniversary oh dear my worst ever paranoia me n Steve Downing lying under the bingo machines shitting ourselves thought even old mates were squad the lad who drove never ever went to a soul event again i frightened him and his missus that much and they were straight

What about all that fancy dress thing there was the lad who dressed like fuckin kung fu and then at about 4am it was daylight inside except for that oldies room darkest ive ever been in fell over kenny hickman in there one night

Me and Ste Porter used to go on a ramble as soon as it was daylight in there mooching about for hours, then there was the night Jennifer threw up all over my back as we walked down the steps outside, then another night we lost Carl Sands, first met tim from Coventry there the famous time he went by bus

A great night out and lets be honest wigan was a no go zone on sat nights at that time all that white pop shite

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Some new photo's and flyers, only found these coz we're moving house in the new year and I'm sorting one of the loff's out, must say I'm determined to find my South Of England T-Shirt.

2nd Anniversary Ticket

post-2334-1167566283_thumb.jpg

P&D's Yate Revival - read the contents and smile; reputation of northern soul!

post-2334-1167566419_thumb.jpg post-2334-1167566448_thumb.jpg

Solid Oldies All-Dayer - I think this was early Eighties

post-2334-1167566518_thumb.jpg

Edited by lloydee
Social source share

• 9 months later...

Yate Stars and Stripes was my first all nighter, at the Stars and Stripes, my mun used to dorp me, Dave Taylor (short guy who eventually went to London as a professional dancer) another lad called Andy and Zahid Shaikh who was the younger brother of Abed Shaikh. Then she would pick us up the next day with a flask of soup, :no:

We were only 13 / 14 at the time :rolleyes:

Mark, Zahid's been doing some shows with us on GFM recently, as long as Ellie will let him out, he'll be at the December do...come to think of it, she'll probably be there as well. Can't wait!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Shaping up to be a good one Mate

Just seen this for the first time and let out a yelp at work blush.gif

Cannot wait for this one.

I'm heading home this weekend Dave, Jerry. And chance of a few flyers to give to some of the old Yate guys from Dursley please.

PM me if you can let me have a few and I will pass them round. 20 - 30 should be plenty really.

Mike

Social source share

Just seen this for the first time and let out a yelp at work blush.gif

Cannot wait for this one.

I'm heading home this weekend Dave, Jerry. And chance of a few flyers to give to some of the old Yate guys from Dursley please.

PM me if you can let me have a few and I will pass them round. 20 - 30 should be plenty really.

Mike

Hi Mike

Cuz of the post strike can't get flyers here till after weekend, but going to do a few at a copy shop. You could pop round my mums as we are staying there while the barns are being worked on.

Dave

Social source share

Some new photo's and flyers, only found these coz we're moving house in the new year and I'm sorting one of the loff's out, must say I'm determined to find my South Of England T-Shirt.

2nd Anniversary Ticket

post-2334-1167566283_thumb.jpg

P&D's Yate Revival - read the contents and smile; reputation of northern soul!

post-2334-1167566419_thumb.jpg post-2334-1167566448_thumb.jpg

Solid Oldies All-Dayer - I think this was early Eighties

post-2334-1167566518_thumb.jpg

Im the one who probably sold you it or Nick Mcavoys dad who was taking the money on the door ,i think mine was thrown out by others many years ago, id love to get my hands on one , i beleave they came in yellow and blue. I can remember traveling up from Bournemouth with Nick and his dad and the sound system, and once set up hearing some great tunes that made the place stand out from the rest

post-9031-1192297950.jpg

Social source share

Some a bit confused by all that went on there, and that's no great suprised. Three/four different promoters, two venues, lots of dj's so here's a bit of a breakdown (best I can remember, with a few spelling mistakes) and I might have missed the odd dj.

Inter-City Soul Club-John 'Kojak' Harvey

Started at Stars & Strips (Two rooms, main room northern, upstairs funk) finished at The Baths as a one room event.

Dj's

Kojak

Pep

Blue Max

Steve Smith

Marc Mouise

Dave Thorley

Mac

Soul Twins

Brian S

Dave Godin (Twice)

Bob Mean