Guest Leonardo

Chuck Holiday Just Can't Trust Nobody . . What Year Was This Released?

Guest Leonardo

Can anyone shed any light on this for me please.

Regards, Paul.

Yep, On Gloria records, costs allot, and its not that good... it did get a reissue in the late 9ts early 2000ns...

Strangely I wonder if it actually got issued twice on Gloria... oh and its the same backing as another Big Detroit record, Green label, cant remember the name..

post-2025-0-95601100-1421694240_thumb.pn

Edited by Mal C

thats it, same backing as Four Voices - Your love is getting stronger, which is also bloody expensive, best choice get the Gold 2nd issue of Four Voices for £50.. best track at an affordable price...

M

post-2025-0-81799300-1421694386_thumb.jp

post-2025-0-72354000-1421694549_thumb.jp

Edited by Mal C

Voice Records was owned by Chex's Tony Ewing, and the recording session was run by Popcorn Wylie.  Gabriel Garrett, who produced the Gloria record, had worked previously with Ewing.  There's no credit to Ewing, and his own Music publishing co., Criss Music, doesn't share the publishing with Garrett's publisher.  I wonder how Garrett got that backing track, and why the original music writers, Ewing and Othea George, didn't share in the writing credits?

Daren't ask him for his opinion on E.WILLIAMS -TRADE MY SOIL WITH THE DEVIL  :wicked:

I just hate the vocal on Chuck Holiday, its not a patch on the Four Voices vocals... and I love both versions of 'Trade my Soul', but E.Williams probably a bit more...

Edited by Mal C

For me Four Voices has everything CH doesn't have - class - apart the very last line - "that low down dirty dog just stole my woman" - quality!  Far from bobbins, just both sides of the FV is far superior backing wise and vocally

However, any version of TMS is bobbins of the highest order lol

Edited by jumpinjoan

Voice Records was owned by Chex's Tony Ewing, and the recording session was run by Popcorn Wylie.  Gabriel Garrett, who produced the Gloria record, had worked previously with Ewing.  There's no credit to Ewing, and his own Music publishing co., Criss Music, doesn't share the publishing with Garrett's publisher.  I wonder how Garrett got that backing track, and why the original music writers, Ewing and Othea George, didn't share in the writing credits?

I met Gabriel and he said he was a member of The Four Voices, so that might explain how he had the masters. He also said that he and Tony had been friends since childhood and grown up in the same neighbourhood. Sadly Tony's circumstances were not great and he was looking after much of Tony's material. Gabriel did have some acetates of Tony's recordings including Technics recordings and the last of the stock copies of  'Every dog' .

Gabriel was definitely a member of Tony & The Technics (Othea George Tenor/Lead, Willie 'Tony' Ewing First Tenor, Gabriel Garrett Baritone / Bass, C. Washington Baritone) Now can't fully remember the conversation, but think The Four Voices is basically the same group, re-named.

Gabriel named the label Gloria after his wife.

Edited by Dave Thorley

Guest Leonardo

Thanks for all the other info. but would still like to know what year Chuck Holiday was released?

Thanks for all the other info. but would still like to know what year Chuck Holiday was released?

I'm not into the known but I always thought it was a later recording to the Four Voices and the label looks late seventies to me.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.