Skimming On Post! Since When Did 1St Class Signed For Cost £5?

Mal C

Sellers don't actually "charge" for postage, they price it up and the decision to accept it or not is the buyers'. I always add it to the price of the record and make my decision on total cost. Buying from the US can range from $10.00 and anything up to $28.00. If it's the latter I always challenge it and ask for an explanation, usually they'll come down, I quote the USPS website calculation. UK postage costs are pretty good, perhaps only bettered by Holland and the US. Paying up to about £2.75 for a 1st class signed for (remember there's £50.00 insurance included) isn't extortion and anything over that value should go special delivery at about £5.50 - 7.00.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

What's the weight of these plastic stiffeners for 7" records, how many grammes ???  

The card stiffeners I use weigh between 20g & 26g (good rigid card), and are free, as I get the Mrs to collect cardboard when she goes shopping, and I just cut it up making the mailers & stiffeners.

Hope you don't think I'm a cheap skate  ?? 

Social source share

Just seen a sell over the last two days charge well over the odds for p&p,I buy more than I sell but keep my mailer,I've had record come from most dealers seller on this site and others most of the time they send in mailers hat have done the rounds ive even had two pieces of cardboard tape together from a well known dealer,I mean come on even DICK TURPIN wore a mask and if your buying a record for a few hundred or more then surely the dealer should stand the postage my rant over 

Social source share

Just seen a sell over the last two days charge well over the odds for p&p,I buy more than I sell but keep my mailer,I've had record come from most dealers seller on this site and others most of the time they send in mailers hat have done the rounds ive even had two pieces of cardboard tape together from a well known dealer,I mean come on even DICK TURPIN wore a mask and if your buying a record for a few hundred or more then surely the dealer should stand the postage my rant over 

I always send in a brand new mailer, if I was recycling I;d just charge the exact amount it cost to post not 15p on top.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I always send in a brand new mailer, if I was recycling I;d just charge the exact amount it cost to post not 15p on top.

Pete you're one of the good guys was'nt even think your name but what I said was true I must have hundreds in a storage area and would say that 80% have been used

Edited by soulcarp
Social source share

Pete you're one of the good guys was'nt even think your name but what I said was true I must have hundreds in a storage area and would say that 80% have been used

No I know mate cheers, anyone who charges for a mailer when using a used mailer is just taking the mickey.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Skimming on POST!!! Since when did 1st Class signed for post within the UK, cost £5? Those of you who try to charge this should be ashamed of yourselves, its skimming plain and simple, I'll never buy a record from you, and I hope others take the same stance...If I drove to Manchester from where I live in Bucks to deliver to the post office, more fool me... but you dont charge the customer your petrol cost do you? you use the local post office and you get on your bike...

This is a good place to get your prices from...  https://www.royalmail.com/personal/uk-delivery/signed-for-1st-class?intcampaignid=CLT_0613_LP_20

Bloody cheek... I hate skimming...!!! Malcolm

Bought a £33.00 record from an Ebay seller, he charged £5.00 for 1st class signed for, I knew that before bidding and bid accordingly. I did mention twice that I thought the cost was excessive, here's his reply.

"Some records had to be posted special delivery and in that case I had to put my own money towards the cost. I new settings the p&p at a fiver would help cut my losses. Besides you new it wss a fiver before you bid so a little late to complain. On top of the postage there was cost for mailets stiffners my time and effort packaging. Petrol and finally 13.4 % ebay charges. Please don't bid in my future auctions if you are going to complain afterwards"

He could have said nothing, said he'll take that into account next time or send a snotty ?

Luckily the record was for a friend who was out of the country, don't we'll be buying from this guy anymore.  :thumbsup:

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

just read my original post back in your reply, and initially I felt a bit ashamed at it, then I thought, no... I dont do this to people when I sell, in fact I cover stuff all the time, so on some I actually make a small loss...

When you get the track, leave him neutral feedback, but mention he should get on his bike and save his customers the excessive postal charges he offers...you might also mention that 1st class signed for, and Special delivery are two different products, then remind who's complaining...

M

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bought a £33.00 record from an Ebay seller, he charged £5.00 for 1st class signed for, I knew that before bidding and bid accordingly. I did mention twice that I thought the cost was excessive, here's his reply.

"Some records had to be posted special delivery and in that case I had to put my own money towards the cost. I new settings the p&p at a fiver would help cut my losses. Besides you new it wss a fiver before you bid so a little late to complain. On top of the postage there was cost for mailets stiffners my time and effort packaging. Petrol and finally 13.4 % ebay charges. Please don't bid in my future auctions if you are going to complain afterwards"

He could have said nothing, said he'll take that into account next time or send a snotty ?

Luckily the record was for a friend who was out of the country, don't we'll be buying from this guy anymore.  :thumbsup:

Report him to Ebay, just for the fun of it. He admits he's charging you Ebay's selling fees. That's not allowed.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Good shout John…….just bought one !

See you soon hopefully,

Ivor

Social source share

Finland is usually £8.60 as well...for one or two items

Well, I'm bemused now. I've just posted an item to Spain and for "International Signed For", with tracking & a maximum insurance value of £250 it's cost me £13.44p. I've priced the same weighted parcel (I.e. one 45 record) to Italy and been quoted a slightly higher figure still. So it looks like my post office is skimming me.?? I definitely need to quote the prices I'm hearing on here , to them , and find out why the huge differential. Btw, if anyone's interested.??, to have the record sent to Spain via Parcel Force with an Full Insurance Value Cover of £650. . . . wait for it . . I was quoted a staggering £64 plus loose change.

I'm based in darkest Derbyshire and we do have roads and other methods of transport besides the stagecoach which departs once a week.

Social source share

Well, I'm bemused now. I've just posted an item to Spain and for "International Signed For", with tracking & a maximum insurance value of £250 it's cost me £13.44p. I've priced the same weighted parcel (I.e. one 45 record) to Italy and been quoted a slightly higher figure still. So it looks like my post office is skimming me.?? I definitely need to quote the prices I'm hearing on here , to them , and find out why the huge differential. Btw, if anyone's interested.??, to have the record sent to Spain via Parcel Force with an Full Insurance Value Cover of £650. . . . wait for it . . I was quoted a staggering £64 plus loose change.

I'm based in darkest Derbyshire and we do have roads and other methods of transport besides the stagecoach which departs once a week.

I apologise in advance if this has already been covered further up the topic, as usual I've only read the first dozen or so, not realising there were loads more below. I also meant to put the post against mark b's regarding Europe, because it reads like I think Spain's in Scandinavia, if you get my drift.!! Edited by greenlight
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!