Discoveries-They Would Have Happened Anyway

I get Ian D's point about pretty strict parameters when assessing a potential northern record back in the 70's and I get how it changed in the 80s, however as much as I hear stories of The Seven Souls clearing the dancefloor in the 70s things like George Kirby, Ray Pollard, Gene McDaniels etc all did well at Wigan so some tracks that were slower than the norm made it. Cool Off isn't exactly 100 mph so who was championing the exceptions?

Its starting to sound like the 80s changed everything but to my ears that change had already started. The 80s wasn't a overturning of the 70s just a progression of a wider range of tempos, productions etc that had already started.

But there has always been exceptions, going back to the early days it was clear mid tempo and some slower stuff was played. Plenty throughout Wigan's history.  Different genres too when you look at Mecca and Cleethorpes playlists.  I would say the scene began to change and accept slower tempo and more modern records as a rule rather than the exception with Richard Searling's later Wigan sets, John & The Weirdest, Cecil Washington etc etc.  I have seen Cecil Washington described several times in fanzines as scene changing.  The 80's just took it further and quicker.

Of course you still had your records and genres that were very divisive, some people were more tolerant than others.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest son of stan

But there has always been exceptions, going back to the early days it was clear mid tempo and some slower stuff was played. Plenty throughout Wigan's history. Different genres too when you look at Mecca and Cleethorpes playlists. I would say the scene began to change and accept slower tempo and more modern records as a rule rather than the exception with Richard Searling's later Wigan sets, John & The Weirdest, Cecil Washington etc etc. I have seen Cecil Washington described several times in fanzines as scene changing. The 80's just took it further and quicker.

Of course you still had your records and genres that were very divisive, some people were more tolerant than others.

It's intereresting you say that about Cecil Washington. Because I started going in the Stafford era but i always thought of that record as the opposite of that - one of those novelty type sounds they pkayed at Wigan. Shit arrangement, poor singing and The 1812 overture bit and all that..Terrible record! Edited by son of stan
Social source share

It's intereresting you say that about Cecil Washington. Because I started going in the Stafford era but i always thought of that record as the opposite of that - one of those novelty type sounds they pkayed at Wigan. Shit arrangement, poor singing and The 1812 overture bit and all that..Terrible record!

You may have valid points about Cecil Washington there alright but I would still give my left 1 to have been there and hear/see it lift the roof off the place. A time and a place and all that... Sorry I love it!

That brings it back to the Dj though, I often think what on earth made him play it? Its like it should'nt work but it just does. So yes it is a novelty in that respect but the ultimate in knowing your crowd. A genius bit of Djing that, a Master at work.

Atb

Clint

Edited by SLAMMINSOUL
Social source share

You may have valid points about Cecil Washington there alright but I would still give my left 1 to have been there and hear/see it lift the roof off the place. A time and a place and all that... Sorry I love it!

Atb

Clint

It was awesome mate, i'd give my right one to go back and experience it again  :thumbsup:

If the record isn't to some peoples taste fair enough but its one of the iconic tunes of our scene and one of my all time top 5 - "one of those novelty type records they played at Wigan"….. :huh:  :huh:

If you were there you were lucky IMO  :)

• Helpful 3
Social source share

It was awesome mate, i'd give my right one to go back and experience it again :thumbsup:

If the record isn't to some peoples taste fair enough but its one of the iconic tunes of our scene and one of my all time top 5 - "one of those novelty type records they played at Wigan"….. :huh::huh:

If you were there you were lucky IMO :)

I've heard tales. Just adds to the legend. Very jealous!

Clint

Social source share

It's intereresting you say that about Cecil Washington. Because I started going in the Stafford era but i always thought of that record as the opposite of that - one of those novelty type sounds they pkayed at Wigan. Shit arrangement, poor singing and The 1812 overture bit and all that..Terrible record!

that's one of the biggest loads of nonsense I've read on here for a long time.
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

It was awesome mate, i'd give my right one to go back and experience it again :thumbsup:

If the record isn't to some peoples taste fair enough but its one of the iconic tunes of our scene and one of my all time top 5 - "one of those novelty type records they played at Wigan"….. :huh::huh:

If you were there you were lucky IMO :)

Spot on bud. Some right jokers on here lol time to it leave them to it ??
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Following on from the Soussain thread, it got me thinking that the records he and others are credited as having discovered would have been discovered by someone else down the line anyway. Yvonne Baker, Checkerboard Squares, Dean Courtney are rareish but not rare enough that some other collector/DJ/dealer wouldn't have come across them at some stage in the ensuing decades.

I'm sure there are examples of ones that would either have not been found (thrown in a dumpster like several acetates I know of) or maybe would not have been played without the dedication of a DJ that got behind them for some time before they "broke". But I bet there aren't that many when you look at the scene over the past 45 years.

Discuss.

You are ofcourse assuming they wouldn't of been destroyed like so many were, whilst waiting for the next rare soul fanatic to turnup  ?

Edited by NSG
Social source share

Cecil Washington doesn't in the slightest sound like a novelty sound to me . To me it sounds like a unique soul sound that captured a special time in NS history and always delivers. ML

I agree 100% It definately sounds unique to my ears and by definition stands out amongst the rest. For the record, that was my interpretation of the word novelty earlier. The word Novelty seems to have been taken negatively! Either way absolutely awesome but definately different and unique, love it!

Just curious ? What was the reaction like for its first spin?

Clint

Edited by SLAMMINSOUL
Social source share

Guest son of stan

Fair dos to you all and no offence intended. I can't work out if it's the one note vocal, the bit where Paganini comes in on the piano half way thru or that cringey 1812 overture bit at the end. I just don't like it, i don't like it, like it, like it. Soz.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!