What Tune Defines Northern Soul?

Bazza

• Replies 174
  • Views 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just been trying to think of a more recent discovery that could be mentioned along with these great oldies.

I absolutely love Margaret little, and that would just about be the best IMO.

Joey DeLorenzo has all the 'oddities' of a Northern Soul record. Sung by a white bloke, and is not particularly soulful, but is in my mind 100% Northern Soul. And finally Tobie Bowe for anyone who wants to present a real soulful tune.

mello souls "we can make it " along with the classics this record is pure northern through and through a powerhouse of a record :thumbsup:

Social source share

The One That I Absolutely Couldn't Live Without is Jimmy Radcliffe's "My Ship Is Comin' In" followed by "Long After Tonight Is All Over", finished by "Through A Long And Sleepless Night" wrapped up with the previously unissued "Blue Bird Fly Home".

Social source share

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

ITS EASIER TO PICK A RECORD THAT DEFINES NORTHERN SOUL THAN IT IS TO DEFINE NORTHERN SOUL IN WORDS.

FIRST OF ALL IT CANNOT BE A SOUL RECORD, SLOW, MID, OR UP TEMPO. THIS IS BECAUSE ITS A SOUL RECORD AND ACCEPTABLE AS THAT.

THAT RULES OUT MOST OF THE PREVIOUS CHOICES.

IT WOULD HAVE TO BE SOMETHING NOT ACCEPTED BY SOUL LOVERS/PURISTS, BUT SIMILAR SOUNDING, SO AS TO TICK MOST OF THE BOXES THAT DEFINES A SOUL RECORD.

THIS MUST HAVE BEEN THE THINKING BEHIND THE DJ'S WHO PLAYED 'CLASSICS' LIKE 'YOUR READY NOW', 'RUN BABY RUN', 'TEN MILES HIGH' ETC ETC. SOME OF THESE TYPES OF TUNES ARE VERY CLOSE TO SOUL RECORDS FOR EXAMPLE HERBERT HUNTERS 'I WAS BORN TO LOVE YOU' AND SOME ARE MILES WIDE OF THE MARK, LIKE THE CROW'S YOUR AUTUMN OF TOMORROW.

DONT GET ME WRONG I AM NOT SAYING ANY OF THESE TUNES ARE BAD, BUT THAT TO BE SPECIFICALLY POSTED AS NORTHERN SOUL, IT MUST BE DIFFERENT TO SOUL.

NORTHERN SOUL IS ALSO DIFFERENT TO RARE SOUL, AND BACK IN THE 70'S LOTS OF DJ'S AND PUNTERS DID NOT LIKE THE TAG OF NORTHERN SOUL, AS IT INCLUDES NON SOUL RECORDS. THATS WHY TERMS LIKE RARE, OR MODERN, WERE ADDED TO THE 'SOUL' TERM.

OF COURSE ITS ONLY MY OPINION, BUT IS BASED ON WHY THE SOUL SCENE SPLIT INTO VARIOUS GROUPS, LEAVING THE 'POPSOUL' OR 'NORTHERN SOUL' ELEMENT TO FADE.

TODAY EVERYTHING IS 'ACROSS THE BOARD' FROM EARLY 60S CLASSIC SOUL LIKE THE TAMS, TO UP TO DATE RELEASES, AND OVERALL ITS A GOOD THING AND ENABLES BIGGER CROWDS.

A SUGGESTION FOR A DEFINITIVE PURE NORTHERN SOUL RECORD WOULD BE AFTERNOON OF THE RHINO - MIKE POST. TICKS ALL THE BOXES EXCEPT SOUL.

ED

What aTotal load of S***E .The pop element is nothing to be celebrated.They are not soul records ,they are not northern soul records, they are POP records.

Which soul record do you suggest Mike Post resembles ?.If people want to listen to this stuff let them have northern POP nights so I dont have to listen to it."Hey little way out Girl". Dont make me Laugh.

Edited by Black Gold of the Sun
Social source share

What aTotal load of S***E .The pop element is nothing to be celebrated.They are not soul records ,they are not northern soul records, they are POP records.

Which soul record do you suggest Mike Post resembles ?.If people want to listen to this stuff let them have northern POP nights so I dont have to listen to it."Hey little way out Girl". Dont make me Laugh.

MAKE ME LAUGH THE WIGAN JOKER I JUST LUV POP RECORDS THE BLACK GOLD OF THE SUN

Social source share

Guest mel brat

THERES SO MANY BUT AT BURNLEY LAST FRIDAY NIGHT BOB AND EARL WAS PLAYED,[MY LITTLE GIRL] OUT THE BLUE,IT SOUNDED SO BLOODY GOOD,LOOKED AT GUY HENNIGAN WE BOTH STARTED LAUGHING,I THOUGHT WOW NEVER HEARD IT SINCE WIGAN DAYS.GOT TO BE UP THERE.

BAZ A.

Fabulous. One of my all time faves too. Nearly killed me though last time I tried to dance to it!!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Off the top of my head... "Darkest Days", Del-Larks, Freddie Chavez, Johnny Sayles, "Blowing My Mind To Pieces", Johnnie Taylor, Tobi Lark, Salvadores, Frank Beverly, Linda Jones (of course!), Bobby Wells, Lee David, Invitations, Charades, Jerry Cook, Mamie Galore, "Oh My Darlin", Fi-Dels, Morris Chestnut, yummy Yum Yums, Connie Clark, Volcanos, Vel-Vets, James Bounty, Thelma Lindsey ("Prepared..."), Bobby Williams, Belles, Nolan Chance, Carstairs (yes! THAT one!), Candy & Kisses, Bobby Hebb, Bobby McClure, virtually anything by Edwin, the Major, J.J., and Jackie Wilson, Prophets, Sandy Wynns, Chuck Wood....and one that never made it "Get A Hold Of Myself" by Baby Washington (UK only?). And what about BUDDY LAMP "Save Your Love"? Too many others to mention. And WHO CARES if the non-soul folk "get it" or not? They probably never will, and 'serves 'em right fa' bein' tone-deaf dopey little divvies!! :thumbsup::sleep3:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Steinways is fantastic, both sides. But wasn't it played in 1973, possibly 72?

Frankie Beverley ITWYW or Love Love Love for me!

Steinways was being played by Max at The Catacombs (of course!) C.October 1973. (I have it on tape...)

Frank Beverly still sounds great to me also, as does Bobby Hebb.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I WILL mention The Ambers!!! It's just gotta be one of my favourite soul sides EVER (even tho', paradoxically, it's quite difficult to dance to!) But that "everything including the kitchen sink" production, which STILL never comes near drowning out those superb harmonies.... Ooooh!

I'm certain I'll never hear such a deft all round production on a record again, and I should rejoice that I was privileged to bear witness to such thrilling and uplifting vocal harmony. THE AMBERS. God bless 'em! :sleep3::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

from my very early wigan days,hit and run-rose battiste,dena barnes if you ever walked out of my life,christine cooper heartaches away my boy,three great tunes that used to blast out of wigans "lo-fi" system!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: ,grrrreat times at wigan with my old mates from st neots/bedford/biggleswade,who remembers,paul kirschner,benny,dave portway,paul aisbett,lastly tony warot(but everyone knows that old git!!!!!) :sleep3:

Social source share

from my very early wigan days,hit and run-rose battiste,dena barnes if you ever walked out of my life,christine cooper heartaches away my boy,three great tunes that used to blast out of wigans "lo-fi" system!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: ,grrrreat times at wigan with my old mates from st neots/bedford/biggleswade,who remembers,paul kirschner,benny,dave portway,paul aisbett,lastly tony warot(but everyone knows that old git!!!!!) :sleep3:

Social source share

I've put off answering this topic, but I'm ready now :P

My tune would be, Dobie Gray, Out On The Floor!

Why?

As so many have proven, the choice of record seems to be propelled by memories of their inaugral slant into the soul world. Of course, these inaugral tunes have a very special hold over us. Without them we wouldn't be here today, loving all the other tunes on offer.

As I've said, so many times before, Dobie did it for me and still does. That in your face drum entre with the classic piano and hey hey hey. The beat, timing, lyrics - it's pure Northern Soul.

At the tender age of 14 I stood in a full to bursting Town Hall - the DJ played 5 Northern Soul (as he called them) records 3 times throughout the night. I stood there, eye's closed, and danced my fu cking feet right off the ends of my legs.

I don't care that people take the piss out of it. I don't care that people belittle it. I don't care that people disrepect it. I don't care that it costs two pounds fifty. For that short 2.5 minutes it was mine.... and it still is. I'm going to be buried to that tune.

Like what you like, love what you love :boxing:

Social source share

I've put off answering this topic, but I'm ready now :P

Why?

As so many have proven, the choice of record seems to be propelled by memories of their inaugral slant into the soul world. Of course, these inaugral tunes have a very special hold over us. Without them we wouldn't be here today, loving all the other tunes on offer.

As I've said, so many times before, Dobie did it for me and still does. That in your face drum entre with the classic piano and hey hey hey. The beat, timing, lyrics - it's pure Northern Soul.

At the tender age of 14 I stood in a full to bursting Town Hall - the DJ played 5 Northern Soul (as he called them) records 3 times throughout the night. I stood there, eye's closed, and danced my fu cking feet right off the ends of my legs.

I don't care that people take the piss out of it. I don't care that people belittle it. I don't care that people disrepect it. I don't care that it costs two pounds fifty. For that short 2.5 minutes it was mine.... and it still is. I'm going to be buried to that tune.

Like what you like, love what you love :boxing:

cant share the choice but respect the opinion

ere ere !!!

Social source share

I've put off answering this topic, but I'm ready now :thumbsup:

Why?

Like what you like, love what you love :rolleyes:

i like that tune out on the floor, and i thought u never had taste lol. billy

Social source share

Guest kevnewry

I've put off answering this topic, but I'm ready now :rolleyes:

Why?

Like what you like, love what you love :shades:

Social source share

Dobie Gray?

I guess it just got a tad overplayed, but it's still part of the gold standard by which Northern Soul is defined. And I'm guessing there's not a soul out there who didn't get goosebumps the very first time they heard it. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Dayo
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert