What Tune Defines Northern Soul?

Bazza

Great tune...but its got a touch of the R&Bs to me :yes:

Bazza

Bazza, your having a laugh right????lol should be Sir George Blackwell or perhaps King George....lol

Good thread this..........the likes of Sam Williams, Morris Chestnut, Four Perfections, Luther Ingram, Duke Browner, Leon Heywood, Earl Jackson, Ronnie McNeir for me have to be in this mix...and dozens more.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

• Replies 174
  • Views 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Bazza, your having a laugh right????lol should be Sir George Blackwell or perhaps King George....lol

Good thread this..........the likes of Sam Williams, Morris Chestnut, Four Perfections, Luther Ingram, Duke Browner, Leon Heywood, Earl Jackson, Ronnie McNeir for me have to be in this mix...and dozens more.

Mark Bicknell.

Ronnie Mcneir.....come on Mark your avin a bubble right? most boring record out....both sides, can define northern IMO

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

You've got a point Richard....So apart from That Beatin' Rhythm, Out on the Floor, Dance Dance Dance, Stick by Me Baby, Just Can't Live My Life, You Didn't say a Word, Can't Lose My Head....what else has Northern Soul ever done for us :yes::D underfloor heating? aquaducts? straight roads? :D Ok, maybe Right Track.....Open The Door to Your Heart....Make Sure....i'll get my coat :D Jo

Ok....So apart from That Beatin' Rhythm, Right Track, Don't Pretend, Say it isn't So, Key to my Happiness, If that's what you wanted, Just Can't Get Enough, I still Love You, Open the Door to your heart, You just don't know, Out on the Floor, Dance Dance Dance, Stick by Me Baby, Just Can't Live My Life, You Didn't say a Word, Can't Lose My Head....what else has Northern Soul ever done for us :yes: .aching jaw muscles, Adidas holdalls, Brut, Johnson's Baby Powder :D well...maybe...Jelly Beans - You don't mean me no good, Sapphires - Gotta Have your Love, Time will pass you by.....Long After Tonight is All Over, Sweetest Feeling.....but then again.... :D Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Oh bollox - now I have to start the list again.....So apart from Sam Williams, Morris Chestnut, Four Perfections, Luther Ingram, Duke Browner, Leon Heywood, Earl Jackson, Ronnie McNeir,That Beatin' Rhythm, Right Track, Don't Pretend, Say it isn't So, Key to my Happiness, If that's what you wanted, Just Can't Get Enough, I still Love You, Open the Door to your heart, You just don't know, Out on the Floor, Dance Dance Dance, Stick by Me Baby, Just Can't Live My Life, You Didn't say a Word, Can't Lose My Head....what else has Northern Soul ever done for us :yes: Sleepless Nights :yes: Bedtime.... :D Jo

Social source share

What about records discovered in the last 5 years or so, every one so far seems to be a classic oldie.

Things like JJ jackson (ex) cover up?

Luther ingram?

Social source share

Ok....So apart from That Beatin' Rhythm, Right Track, Don't Pretend, Say it isn't So, Key to my Happiness, If that's what you wanted, Just Can't Get Enough, I still Love You, Open the Door to your heart, You just don't know, Out on the Floor, Dance Dance Dance, Stick by Me Baby, Just Can't Live My Life, You Didn't say a Word, Can't Lose My Head....what else has Northern Soul ever done for us :yes: .aching jaw muscles, Adidas holdalls, Brut, Johnson's Baby Powder :yes: well...maybe...Jelly Beans - You don't mean me no good, Sapphires - Gotta Have your Love, Time will pass you by.....Long After Tonight is All Over, Sweetest Feeling.....but then again.... :D Jo

Jo, you forgot keeps us skint mate....lol

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

What about records discovered in the last 5 years or so, every one so far seems to be a classic oldie.

Luther ingram?

Ok....so....deep breath...apart from.........oh sod that.......Luther Ingram - Oh Baby Don't You Weep...stunning choice...as well as his biggie....and Kim Weston's previously unreleased Gonna Make it Up to you Baby :yes: and her released 'I'm Still Loving You'...Jo

Social source share

Oh bollox - now I have to start the list again.....So apart from Sam Williams, Morris Chestnut, Four Perfections, Luther Ingram, Duke Browner, Leon Heywood, Earl Jackson, Ronnie McNeir,That Beatin' Rhythm, Right Track, Don't Pretend, Say it isn't So, Key to my Happiness, If that's what you wanted, Just Can't Get Enough, I still Love You, Open the Door to your heart, You just don't know, Out on the Floor, Dance Dance Dance, Stick by Me Baby, Just Can't Live My Life, You Didn't say a Word, Can't Lose My Head....what else has Northern Soul ever done for us :yes: Sleepless Nights :yes: Bedtime.... :D Jo

Nice link there Miss Wallace to 'Paris'...you got that one ain't you?.......lol cross off Ronnie McNeir, Baz thinks it's boring....lol so start the list again there's a good girl.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Nice link there Miss Wallace to 'Paris'...you got that one ain't you?.......lol cross off Ronnie McNeir, Baz thinks it's boring....lol so start the list again there's a good girl.

Mark Bicknell.

So apart from Sam Williams, Morris Chestnut, Four Perfections, Luther Ingram x 2, Duke Browner, Leon Heywood, Earl Jackson, Ronnie McNeir,That Beatin' Rhythm, Right Track, Don't Pretend, Say it isn't So, Key to my Happiness, If that's what you wanted, Just Can't Get Enough, I still Love You, Open the Door to your heart, You just don't know, Out on the Floor, Dance Dance Dance, Stick by Me Baby, Just Can't Live My Life, You Didn't say a Word, Can't Lose My Head, Jelly Beans, Sapphires, Jimmy Radcliffe, Jackie Wilson, Paris, Tobi Legend, Pat Lewis, Sidney Barnes, Motown, Masqueraders, Dells....what else has Northern Soul ever done for us :yes: Enriched our otherwise musically impoverished lives, lifted our flagging spirits, saved our souls.....not much then :D Jo

tough to pick a single tune but I'd probably go for

Mello Souls...

Timmie Williams...

Butch's Masqueraders cover up......

Butch's Diane Lewis cover up.........

JJ Jackson (Johnny Praye)....told you it was tough to pick one :yes:

Chalky, you can add them to the list yourself.... :D:D:D I'm exhausted - Jo

Social source share

Luther ingram?

=================

Obvious reason why most selections are classic oldies........they're better than what's been discovered recently :yes:

Social source share

Gonna be awkward and choose 3 :yes:

Gwen Owens - Just say your wanted ( speaks for it's self )

Barons of Soul - You need love ( got that certain something soooo good )

Hayes Cotton - Black Wings have my angel ( well...do I really have to say ) :yes:

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

Frank Wilson IMHO, it has the sound, the club history, the dancers suport and all that I think is northern soul...

Yeah, I live in the past, so what? hehe

Cheers

Dante

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

So apart from Sam Williams, Morris Chestnut, Four Perfections, Luther Ingram x 2, Duke Browner, Leon Heywood, Earl Jackson, Ronnie McNeir,That Beatin' Rhythm, Right Track, Don't Pretend, Say it isn't So, Key to my Happiness, If that's what you wanted, Just Can't Get Enough, I still Love You, Open the Door to your heart, You just don't know, Out on the Floor, Dance Dance Dance, Stick by Me Baby, Just Can't Live My Life, You Didn't say a Word, Can't Lose My Head, Jelly Beans, Sapphires, Jimmy Radcliffe, Jackie Wilson, Paris, Tobi Legend, Pat Lewis, Sidney Barnes, Motown, Masqueraders, Dells....what else has Northern Soul ever done for us :yes: Enriched our otherwise musically impoverished lives, lifted our flagging spirits, saved our souls.....not much then :D Jo

Chalky, you can add them to the list yourself.... :yes::D:D I'm exhausted - Jo

Ah the Peoples Front Of NorthernSoul!

Splitters!

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Ah the Peoples Front Of NorthernSoul!

Splitters!

Mikey, aren't Splitters those strawberry lollies with icecream in the middle :D or is it Mivvis :yes: Come the Revolution..... :yes: Comrade Jo

Social source share

4 for me would be

Keep on keepin On- NF Porter - Everyone Clapps at the certain time

Quittin Time - Big Maybelle - Crazy frantic record that reminds you of past girlfriends

Ever again - bernie williams - Again the Clap thing at the breaks

I cant help loving you - Paul Anka - Because no one would belive a Brat pack artist could make such a good soul record.

Obviously tons more as well - Frankie Crocker/ Epitome of sound/ James Bounty / Mel Britt/ too many to say thats why we love this music!

Social source share

Guest soul_hull

JEAN CARTER - LIKE ONE

EDWIN STARR - SOS (COZ IT 'SOUNDS LIKE MOTOWN BUT ISN'T')

(oops caps)showmen - our love will grow (reminding people that the genre isn't so easily defined - i loved this when i first heard it)

tony galla - in love - was a good choice above, instant appeal (would put this in the 'good to play at a student night' thread).

sandi sheldon also, as mentioned, is a great 'NORTHERN' sound imo.

something gritty in the mix - and whilst typing.....Judy Clay 'since you came along' has come on - good enough to grace any list.

however, for me, the most NORTHERN sounding Northern record is Bobby Paris - Night Owl. this for me is the N-O-R-T-H-E-R-N S-O-U-L defined, in style anyway.

Social source share

Luther ingram?

JJ Jackson has been getting played by Butch since the days I used to wear hotpants on a regular basis :shhh: Prob about 91/92

Records for me would be Gwen Owens, Don Varner, Eula Cooper, Hyperians - and actually way too many to mention - but those always have and always will get me dancing blush.gif

Social source share

"Epitome Of Sound" for me i think, exactly what it says on the tin whistling.gif

Slight leaning towards the Motown sound of the time & tugs in equal measure at the Heart strings, the Hairs on the back of your neck & your Dancing feet !

Social source share

=================

Obvious reason why most selections are classic oldies........they're better than what's been discovered recently whistling.gif

:yes::yes::(:(:lol: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Johnny Praye, Luther Ingram, Voices Inc, Cecil Washington (My Proposal), Sensations (Demanding Man), Nancy Wilcox, The Swans, The Magicians (or is this Cheating) Vanguards, Milton Bennet, etc, ect, ect :(:(:(:lol: All as good as the classic oldies IMVHO.

Russ

Social source share

Darrell Banks - "Our Love Is In The Pocket"

Intro that instantly grabs you.

Mr Banks's vocal is superb.

Brilliant chorus - even a bit to clap yur hands to.

Fantastic break

What more could you want?

:wicked: Yep, another good call, got everything :thumbsup:

Social source share

:thumbsup::yes: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Johnny Praye, Luther Ingram, Voices Inc, Cecil Washington (My Proposal), Sensations (Demanding Man), Nancy Wilcox, The Swans, The Magicians (or is this Cheating) Vanguards, Milton Bennet, etc, ect, ect :yes: All as good as the classic oldies IMVHO.

Russ

=================

Firstly Russ it was in answer to Baz, because we always have newies/oldies banter, it wasn't meant to be taken too seriously :wicked:

Secondly, and I've asked this question before, why do people go for oldies when they want to introduce a newcomer to the scene. Are they more comfortable with them, are they genuinly better, would a newcomer 'get it' listening to an oldie rather than a newie? There must be an answer, but no one ever seems to come up with it :yes: Look through previous threads on the same subject, it always follows a similar pattern to this one

Winnie:-)

PS. Sorry had to take some of the emoticons out as it wouldn't let me send the message.

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

...It was, it is and it always will be the absolute definition of Northern Soul. Even if I haven't got every single word right, every line of that verse speaks directly to the scene.

Let's hear it, one more time, for the unbeatable Mr. Richard 'Jimmyconwell' Temple and his 'Beatin' Rhythm'...

TONE :P

:tumbleweed3: beautifully put Mister Rounce.

I arrived at this thread too late, but I'd have gone for this and Gwen Owens too, so :thumbsup: to Kirsty and Sanquine/(Karen) for nominating the latter.

Social source share

the epitome of sound "you dont love me" i am 46 and i have known this tune for 30 years, i still sometimes play this and dance around the front room as if im at wigan or sams, i play this in my car to work mates and can not understand why they are not blown away....

i walked away, the drifter, walk with a winner, there is too many to mention, these memories by almeta latimore, the next great record i hear, whats that thing called "where did you go" by the hi lites, over all i dont know

Social source share

=================

Firstly Russ it was in answer to Baz, because we always have newies/oldies banter, it wasn't meant to be taken too seriously :tumbleweed3:

Secondly, and I've asked this question before, why do people go for oldies when they want to introduce a newcomer to the scene. Are they more comfortable with them, are they genuinly better, would a newcomer 'get it' listening to an oldie rather than a newie? There must be an answer, but no one ever seems to come up with it :unsure: Look through previous threads on the same subject, it always follows a similar pattern to this one

PS. Sorry had to take some of the emoticons out as it wouldn't let me send the message.

Simple answer is yes.

Social source share

=================

Firstly Russ it was in answer to Baz, because we always have newies/oldies banter, it wasn't meant to be taken too seriously :tumbleweed3:

Secondly, and I've asked this question before, why do people go for oldies when they want to introduce a newcomer to the scene. Are they more comfortable with them, are they genuinly better, would a newcomer 'get it' listening to an oldie rather than a newie? There must be an answer, but no one ever seems to come up with it :unsure: Look through previous threads on the same subject, it always follows a similar pattern to this one

Dont want to start the oldies newies thing again..................just saying that there are always good new tunes coming thru as always that are as good as anything played on the scene in years gone by. Nothing wrong with oldies, just prefer to keep the scene progressive, as it was always intended to be.

Russ

Social source share

If I had to play a record for a non-soulie to define northern soul to them it would be - Luther Ingram - Exus Trek firstly, then the flip.

For me this record could be catagorised as nothing other than Northern Soul. I thinks that's what this thread is getting at :tumbleweed3:

Edited by Briles
Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Just added a white label Mirwood demo of this gem to the collection - a real hard piece to turn up, but without a doubt it just has to be one of the most timeless and brilliant northern soul masterpieces of all time - as Tony says, the lyrics just sum it all up :

"Theres that groove that makes me want to move

Now that groove is filled with soul and I cant help but loose control

Our music is such an attraction -----watch me now as I go into action......."

What more can you ask for ?

Brilliant :rolleyes::D:(:lol:

Take care

Johnny Mack

"There's That Beat, And I Must Dance,

Now There's That Rhythm That Puts Me In A Trance,

Well, That Beat And That Rhythm Just Keeps Movin' Up,

It's Too Hot For Me To Slow Down,

And My Feet Are Filled With Happiness

And I'm Determined to Dance Around"...

...It was, it is and it always will be the absolute definition of Northern Soul. Even if I haven't got every single word right, every line of that verse speaks directly to the scene.

Let's hear it, one more time, for the unbeatable Mr. Richard 'Jimmyconwell' Temple and his 'Beatin' Rhythm'...

TONE :(

Social source share

northern soul popular peoples liberations front,larks tongues in aspic anyone :rolleyes:

ThanK fcuk for that

How about Run for cover The Dells

And

The Victors HURT

The atmosphere on both theses gives me the chills!!!

Plus Hurt a well known clapping sound

They both have an echo quality ad of course are brilliant to dance to

Mand :O)

Social source share

THE tune that defines northern soul for me is Man o Man, Little Walter - what a fab intro - watch the dancers run to the floor - gets me every time!

Took years to track it down after first hearing it as a cover up, bought every 45 going with similar words in the title (what could I do? What should I do? etc etc etc) and finally got a copy at Prestatyn a few years a go (no not an original!). I love it and treasure it!

Social source share

ThanK fcuk for that

How about Run for cover The Dells

And

The Victors HURT

The atmosphere on both theses gives me the chills!!!

Plus Hurt a well known clapping sound

They both have an echo quality ad of course are brilliant to dance to

Mand :O)

Yep your right Mand both pure northern tunes ,Dells still gives me chills an all :lol:

Bazza

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

If some one asked me this ,and I could only play one tune,it would have to be

Valentinos - Sweater Than The Day Before

always thought of it as a pure solid Northern tune

what single tune would you use to try and explain it

Bazza

Tony Middleton - Paris Blues.

Del-Larks - Job Opening (for an experienced heart mender).

Superlatives - I Still Love You.

Adams Apples - Don't Take It Out On This World

None of them can be beat!!

Martin

Social source share

If some one asked me this ,and I could only play one tune,it would have to be

Valentinos - Sweater Than The Day Before

always thought of it as a pure solid Northern tune

what single tune would you use to try and explain it

Bazza

Would have said Willie Hutch but someone has chosen that.

What about The Elusions - You Didn't Have To Leave.

Love the horns in the vocal break.

Sums it up for me and definately would give a none soulie a good idea of what it's all about. whistling.gif

Great thread.

KTF.

Drew

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert