venue clashing

Billywhizz

Probably had this topic before, people falling out with each other, clashing on the same night, i can remember back in the early 70s 2 all nighters on in peterbourgh, got so bad about 3 in the morning they empty the venue because there was a bomb scare, some stayed in the car some went to the other venue, im not to sure how the ending was on that one. at the end of the day surely (she was a good dancer). its down to the punter, if the music is right and the djs and the venues are good, they got the choice, even if its clashing on the same night, sometimes it cant be helped, as i said its the paying punter that makes the choice. i know money gets payed out on these venues but thats the chance you take. if anyone want to comment, much appreciate, cheers billy. 

Social source share

18 hours ago, whereismy record said:

Instead why not just go to nights listen to tunes, get to know them and enjoy the scene I.E do your apprenticeship.  

How long does ones apprenticeship last?

Who decides that someone has completed their apprenticeship?

Would you obtain a NVQ or do you have to hold an original  City & Guilds to qualify to attend an OVO event?

I've read some cobblers in my time... :g:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Not an easy answer to any of this, can argue about 'apprenticeships' and rights and wrongs! but really it could be down to opportunity and market forces if you like?

Back in the 70s/80s was definitely not as much on and if you wanted to hear 'Northern Soul' other than tape swaps and/or buying records blind you had to go! Obtaining disco gear back then was relatively an 'arm and leg' to buy and most venues did not want to know about Northern Soul 'pufters' with the drug thing and why would they bother! Most Working Men's Clubs and the like were packed at the weekends any way.

Fast forward to today most people interested in the music older, maybe no or little mortgage more leisure time, almost any Northern Soul tune known or not so well known available to hear and buy in the format of your choice with the click of a mouse! Disco Gear relatively cheap today and nearly every Club Pub up and down the country trying to stave off closure by putting on anything to swell the coffers.

Not saying this is the definitive answer to the question but understanding these facts goes a way to explaining.

One thing i would add, with today's media it can be easy to portray an event as being the next big thing etc. but in reality i bet as many nights fail and pack up as start up these days.

Go where your Soul takes you folks! :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

from my prospective as one of the great unwashed ,think its great when we have so much choice , don't get this we were here first or we are doing the right thing in whatever shape or form , venues stand or fall on their own merit and not because of clashes with other venues ,if your good enough you will survive and prosper if for whatever reason you don't get the footfall then try something else , no one holds the deeds to northern soul ,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 25 November 2015 17:37:37, billywhizz said:

Probably had this topic before, people falling out with each other, clashing on the same night, i can remember back in the early 70s 2 all nighters on in peterbourgh, got so bad about 3 in the morning they empty the venue because there was a bomb scare, some stayed in the car some went to the other venue, im not to sure how the ending was on that one. at the end of the day surely (she was a good dancer). its down to the punter, if the music is right and the djs and the venues are good, they got the choice, even if its clashing on the same night, sometimes it cant be helped, as i said its the paying punter that makes the choice. i know money gets payed out on these venues but thats the chance you take. if anyone want to comment, much appreciate, cheers billy. 

Hi Billy it was the mid 80s and the venue was The Wirrina. To fill in the gaps the police found a shoebox type set up without anything in it apart from some wires, and I was DJ-ing straight after the venue re-opened and the police left. The atmosphere was electric as everyone came back inside to make the most of it and were determined to have a good time.  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Steve G said:

Hi Billy it was the mid 80s and the venue was The Wirrina. To fill in the gaps the police found a shoebox type set up without anything in it apart from some wires, and I was DJ-ing straight after the venue re-opened and the police left. The atmosphere was electric as everyone came back inside to make the most of it and were determined to have a good time.  

I was there that night Steve, wasn't Bunny Sigler live on stage? The promoters of the other all-nighter were responsible and received custodial sentences. It was a few months after the IRA had bombed an army barracks in London and was, quite correctly, treated very seriously.

Regarding the clash of venues, Frank is right, just do your homework. Promoters of the more quality events try not to clash, you're always going to find numerous events on the same night but just go where your heart and soul leads you...   

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Sad to say it's getting worse Billy.... Now we have the weekenders to contend with as well....  

You would think these promoters could sit down and talk it through but they act like spoilt children...

It's true, we are awash with djs and now these folk all want to promote also..,

You can't affect the weather Billy ,  wrap up tight , a northern soul  sunami is coming..

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!