SOULSOURCE RECORD CLUB 2016, YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT?

dthedrug

As iv'e posted this next record on LAYB earlier this week & as i do have the 1st & 2nd presses only the 2nd press on You Tube at the mo :wicked:

The Victones - My Baby Changes - Front Page 

Rare 1st press below

P1000902.JPGAtb Kev :hatsoff2:

Edited by Kev John
Added 1st press photo
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

5 hours ago, hullsoul said:

Patto

Tune,did you see the rare issue go on here the other day?

Cheers

Martyn

YEP Saw that Martyn real holy grail stuff, was it Mr Parker selling.Never seen an issue with my own eyes,the orig demo is hard enough these days.Realise these big oldies are not everyones cup of tea but try playing em and watch peoples eyes light up as their minds do a timewarp back to the days of no joint pain :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Keeper said:

Cheers Kev .....Martyn has given me a dummies course in posting them up ...so watch this space ..........prepare to be bombarded with mediocre tunes !!!!!!!:D

Neil

Welcome  aboard lookin' forward to your posts no matter what martyn thinks :thumbsup:

Atb Kev :hatsoff2:

Edited by Kev John
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

18 hours ago, Patto said:

YEP Saw that Martyn real holy grail stuff, was it Mr Parker selling.Never seen an issue with my own eyes,the orig demo is hard enough these days.Realise these big oldies are not everyones cup of tea but try playing em and watch peoples eyes light up as their minds do a timewarp back to the days of no joint pain :)

Patto

Yes it was JP selling it along with a Flash Mckinley,would rather have had the FM if I had the pennies,one of my fave tunes of all time.

Keep posting those great oldies,no problem hearing them this end :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

On 30/10/2016 at 09:35, hullsoul said:

Feeling slightly fragile this morning so something smooth & mellow today,can't be doing with any boom boom just yet :facepalm:

Isaac Hayes-Cafe Regio's Stax

Having heard Shaft played on radio 6,sunday, my thoughts turned to Cafe Regio's, funnily enough always my

avourite track on the LP.

Still remember enjoying the movie first time around, and the impact of Issac clad in brass ring waist coat picking up his Oscar.

Different and nice choice.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

46 minutes ago, Mick Sway said:

This is another I heard on a Levine Mixcloud Episode while on holiday recently.

While I think that this is great and refers to it getting plays, he doesn't half push the boundaries,

good job I like sunshine pop too. Anyway I'm guessing that Martyn must have bought this one to our

attention at some time and having made an offer on discogs for a vg copy at $40 the guy turned it down

while on the same day I managed to reel one in Ex, on ebay for half that.

Ronnie Milsap  Thousand Miles From Nowhere Scepter New Breed/RnB

Mick

New to me & another added to the ever expanding wants list :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, hullsoul said:

Mick

New to me & another added to the ever expanding wants list :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Did play it for you once at Bradford....come on Byrd pay attention!! Quoted it on here a while back as it has some of my favourite lyrics" I've got to find a companion ....i don't care if she's deaf ,dumb crippled or blind ".....Don't you hate these fussy bastards !!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Keeper said:

Did play it for you once at Bradford....come on Byrd pay attention!! Quoted it on here a while back as it has some of my favourite lyrics" I've got to find a companion ....i don't care if she's deaf ,dumb crippled or blind ".....Don't you hate these fussy bastards !!!

But Neil you know I never listen to a thing you play(as you've usually bought them after I've played them:wicked:) but on the other hand I always listen to what Mick plays :thumbup:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, hullsoul said:

But Neil you know I never listen to a thing you play(as you've usually bought them after I've played them:wicked:) but on the other hand I always listen to what Mick plays :thumbup:

Cheers

Martyn

AAh yes ...i remember when he mis-cued one and  played the slip mat.......went straight to the top of your wants list !!!!!:lol:

Sincerely hope you enjoy this ???....and also hope you haven't got it !!! ..........Yet ??

• Helpful 2
Social source share

27 minutes ago, Keeper said:

AAh yes ...i remember when he mis-cued one and  played the slip mat.......went straight to the top of your wants list !!!!!:lol:

Sincerely hope you enjoy this ???....and also hope you haven't got it !!! ..........Yet ??

Neil

The slip mat I played was a rare demo,you know I do a lap of honour when I get the right side on :lol:

Great tune,always rated it but thought it a tad pricey?

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, andybellwood said:

Confunkshun 'move on up' 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=74vVKOSpM6w

being playing this on radio show and DJ spots - gets a 'love it' or 'it's awful' reaction . Obviously it's the former for me .....

Andy

Not quite in the "awful" camp but it's not great imo,it's a brave man who would take on a Curtis M classic.

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Loving the banter between Martyn and Neil cant beat two old soul men taking the respectfull piss out of each other.

By now it should be clear im a 60s mafia man but today its a 70s record that took a massive chunk out of me when i first heard it and danced to it in cleggy winter gardens many moons ago.Its a prized jewel in my box in its U.K Demo clothes.Pure Northern Soul 70s style and a monster oldie that crossed to all venues here are The Skull Snaps

• Helpful 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, Keeper said:

Perk Lee ‎– Peanut Butter Sandwich / The Docks

Discogs tells me that this is a nice, but quite a pricey item.

According to that source it was released on two labels then as the clip is showing Boss and if so is one more affordable

as I like it a lot. ? Nice one

• Helpful 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Mick Sway said:

According to that source it was released on two labels then as the clip is showing Boss and if so is one more affordable

I think it's more a case of grab the first one that comes along........not seen many come up for sale??...or in the sales boxes out and about. .......well that was helpful wasn't it !!!:huh:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

19 hours ago, Patto said:

Loving the banter between Martyn and Neil cant beat two old soul men taking the respectfull piss out of each other.

By now it should be clear im a 60s mafia man but today its a 70s record that took a massive chunk out of me when i first heard it and danced to it in cleggy winter gardens many moons ago.Its a prized jewel in my box in its U.K Demo clothes.Pure Northern Soul 70s style and a monster oldie that crossed to all venues here are The Skull Snaps

Patto

If you like the banter between me & Neil on here you should hear us when we bump into each other when we are out...........not for the faint hearted.........but great fun :lol:

Skull-Snaps great choice,one of the great openings to a dancer,what follows those few bars ain't bad either.

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 2
Social source share

18 hours ago, Mick Sway said:

Mick

Few prices here that might give you a rough idea...................

https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=perk+lee+the+docks&thumbs=&currsel=&sortord=ddate&endfrom=&endthru=&ipp=&sdc=&x=15&y=9

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, gazman said:

So much to catch up on here. Here's a Friday double sider that just blows me away

Hi Gaz 

Love this had it a long time 

I Need You came out on another label quite expensive can't remember the group it was played out @ DTown soul club Derby Saturday didn't like that mix 

This one by these guys is the DB's IMHO & a lot cheaper 

Edited by Kev John
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Martyn's posting of the excellent "this I beg of you" brought to mind the Shirley Vaughan track,

both of which I bought from Richard Domar for around the five quid mark, probably 25 years ago.

Sadly there seems to have been a ton of them around over the years, so they've stayed in the

Northern for under a tenner boxes.

Shirley Vaughan "Watch out Mr Lonely" Double RR

• Helpful 2
Social source share

1 minute ago, Mick Sway said:

Martyn's posting of the excellent "this I beg of you" brought to mind the Shirley Vaughan track,

both of which I bought from Richard Domar for around the five quid mark, probably 25 years ago.

Sadly there seems to have been a ton of them around over the years, so they've stayed in the

Northern for under a tenner boxes.

Shirley Vaughan "Watch out Mr Lonely" Double RR

Mick

It's not how much they are worth it's how good they are & this is a cracker :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, hullsoul said:

Mick

It's not how much they are worth it's how good they are & this is a cracker :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

True.

a fiver is still about my limit though.

To be fair we had no idea about scarcity 25 years ago.

Not that we do now, but there are some tunes that might have broken had they not turned up

in huge numbers.

Has anyone been watching Luke Cage?

What a (qualified by "todays standards" ) brilliant sound track.

I like my Marvel  series', but the NETFLIX ones are like watching paint dry.

Must be a thread on Soulsource about somewhere I guess.

Great music though.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

20 hours ago, Kev John said:

Hi Gaz 

Love this had it a long time 

I Need You came out on another label quite expensive can't remember the group it was played out @ DTown soul club Derby Saturday didn't like that mix 

This one by these guys is the DB's IMHO & a lot cheaper 

Kev

The other version is by Th LMNOP's on JBP Records and i totally agreeit's not as good a version.

gary

• Helpful 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, geeselad said:

first post on this thread for me, purchased last month, kept on seeing all the copies on ogs disappearing so thought I'd better get it. other side play at the mecca maybe? but this is the one for me layed back but still danceable.

Hi Geeselad & Welcome :)

Yes tother side was a Mecca spin & this side did get on my playlist a few years back Soul Liberation 1st anni, Oaklands Hotel 

Social source share

Junior Walker & All Stars 'Gotta Hold On To This Feeling'

used to be massive at Brighouse Ritz for Ginger many moons ago , now rarely gets played anywhere (?) and ripe for revival ? 

Appologies for not posting a sound file - anyone ? They all seems 'blocked' on YouTube . 

Edited by andybellwood
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, geeselad said:

first post on this thread for me, purchased last month, kept on seeing all the copies on ogs disappearing so thought I'd better get it. other side play at the mecca maybe? but this is the one for me layed back but still danceable.

Spaceark - Welcome to my door - Color world

Very nice bro.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Kev John said:

Not sure if this has been posted before but hey ho here i go 

Arthur K Adams - Gimmie Some of Your Lovin' - Blue Horizon here :wink:

Enjoy your weekend :)

I note that the Youtube clip shows the UK release on Blue Horizon.

The label was regarded as a mainly UK Blues label, being the original label for Fleetwood Mac.

A bit of a strange release for the label at that time, I would of thought and quite rare ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Another from "soul for under a fiver" sales boxes.

Got this in Anglo Modern Soul pack many moons ago.

Again loads of em about, I think Levine played it on his "soul pack" podcast.

May have appeared on here at some time over the years.

Little Royal "I want to be free" , though mines on Try-Us

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!