SOULSOURCE RECORD CLUB 2016, YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT?

dthedrug

12 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Another quick one from me, a real back of the cupboard find that I originally bought cheap from Rudzi in Leicester for the ballad flip 'I can't take it', and hadn't even played this side. Guess probably well known - has it been spun out much? The Orlons 'Don't you want my lovin' (Cameo Parkway):-

Chris

Works for me,another newie to the list.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

1 hour ago, hullsoul said:

Martha Reeves-Love,Guess Who Gordy

Top tune Martyn, used to hear it out a lot late 90's - remember it at a really good though short lived niter at Notts County football club - did you get to that?

Always thought this one from the same LP (Natural Resources) unfairly overlooked, 'Easily Persuaded' - stormer :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Garland Green top class, made so many good records - did you see the 'Jealous kind of fella' video on here the other day? Great stuff

Having a bit of a Holland Dozier week for some reason, and this is top of the pile for me currently. Got to be the instrumental version though, the vocal is too busy. 'Don't leave me' - love it

• Helpful 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, hullsoul said:

Here's another one of those stalwart nighter tunes from awhile back that you don't hear much these days.One of those tunes that was always well received even though it was a cheapie?

Garland Green-Angel Baby Uni

JUST SIMPLY A FANTASTIC TUNE.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

36 minutes ago, Kev John said:

Double header time from me today of the highest order  !!! :wink:

The Fabulous Appollos - Determination / The One Alone - Valtone 

Enjoy you weekend where ever you are :)

Atb Kev :hatsoff2:

Fantastic Kev always loved Determination real mid nighter northern tune.I always play the Andrea Williams Ric Tic release with the same backing track

• Helpful 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Kev John said:

Double header time from me today of the highest order  !!! :wink:

The Fabulous Appollos - Determination / The One Alone - Valtone 

Enjoy your weekend where ever you are :)

Kev

Both brilliant sides but "Determination" just blows me away whenever I hear it :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Patto said:

Love that Four Shells Martyn my kind of sound.Gonna serve a girlie group sound straight back with a great record and even better you tube clip of them performing the song.This is the Dolls and l have it on a Loma Demo

Patto

Brilliant!!

I bang on about gritty soulful tunes then something like this comes on & I'm off bopping away singing my head off :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just now, hullsoul said:

Patto

Brilliant!!

I bang on about gritty soulful tunes then something like this comes on & I'm off bopping away singing my head off :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

Yep that Dolls record is totally infectious and they look so cute in the clip.Gonna leave it today with one that just might be soulful and gritty enough.This i have on a Calla Demo.Never heard it played out but what a power house of a tune from Shirley Wahls.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest BabyBoyAndMyLass

Beautiful thread, full of total class!

Here's a record that cost me a quid bit I wouldn't part with it! Sticking with Rosco Gordon, 'I want revenge'. Stellar!

Social source share

On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 08:29, Kev John said:

The one i'm going to post today was played on Saturday @ Spirit reloaded & what a night it was 

The spinner was Sean Hayden 2nd record in his 2am to 3am spot his 1st played an instrumental of Clean up the ghetto he got the floor then 

he put a slab of awesome of soul IMHO on the needle the floor exploded 

luckily  got the record & it made my night as Ged Beggs was standing next to me & noticed my reaction

BTW i also played it Tommy Cheadles @ The Torch Scooter Club Open Day Sunday & went down very well as they say 

So here it is 

Geater Davis - My Love Is So Strong For You - House Of Orange

Enjoy !!!! :wink:

Always a big fave of mine Kev,gots lots of 90s action but sadly not heard enough these days.Ive got one too and its going no where.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Patto said:

Always a big fave of mine Kev,gots lots of 90s action but sadly not heard enough these days.Ive got one too and its going no where.

Patto

Heard it out a couple of times recently,might be due to Sean starting to play it again?One of the great cheapies although it seems to be going up in price recently.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Just now, hullsoul said:

Patto

Heard it out a couple of times recently,might be due to Sean starting to play it again?One of the great cheapies although it seems to be going up in price recently.

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Martyn

Good to hear its getting spins again.Did i once see it on a different label or different Orange label design,maybe or could be mistaken

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Patto said:

Hi Martyn

Good to hear its getting spins again.Did i once see it on a different label or different Orange label design,maybe or could be mistaken

Patto

Can't say I remember seeing any different label ones,was it maybe a demo?

If you put " Geater Davis - My Love Is So Strong For You " into You Tube half way down the page there is one that's a different coloured label or is it just a bad photo????

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Guest BabyBoyAndMyLass

Didn't know the Geater Davis side, I agree though great record, I'll be looking out to get a copy now you said it's a cheapy, great Maracas!

Social source share

5 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Didn't know the Geater Davis side, I agree though great record, I'll be looking out to get a copy now you said it's a cheapy, great Maracas!

There some here,various prices & certainly looks like it's gone up from a tenner like it used to be...........worth every penny if you get one.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=990276&ev=mb

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

1 minute ago, gogger said:

saw some martha reeves and the vandellas on here last week , just been getting a few uk motown tunes , sorry if this was posted but can't see it

martha reeves and the vandellas / i gotta let you go , tamla motown label

Gogger

One of her best imo.

A few years back there was an unreleased version by Jimmy Ruffin I think it was,can see why it was unreleased as it was shite compared to this.......imo of course :wicked:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

52 minutes ago, hullsoul said:

Kev

Thanks matey,wonder why it was re-issued??

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Martin 

I'll Play The Blues For You is a NEW release on Odd & Ends just gave it a listen on You Tube very nice indeed 

Strong on B side may have been just put on as he didn't have any other material ? or it could be a re edit ie remix 

Just to add The Orange & Green Label 1 on the Tube may be Styrene just can't tell, Mine got a Music City matrix stamp in the run out same 1 on the vid i posted vinyl

There is also a W/D 

Atb Kev:hatsoff2:

Edited by Kev John
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Kev John said:

Hi Martin 

I'll Play The Blues For You is a NEW release on Odd & Ends just gave it a listen on You Tube very nice indeed 

Strong on B side may have been just put on as he didn't have any other material ? or it could be a re edit ie remix 

Just to add The Orange & Green Label 1 on the Tube may be Styrene just can't tell, Mine got a Music City matrix stamp in the run out same 1 on the vid i posted vinyl

There is also a W/D 

Atb Kev:hatsoff2:

Kev

Great stuff.

White demo here...............

Hear - Rare Northern Soul 45 - Geater Davis - Love Is So Strong For You - M -

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now