Jump to content

Appreciations - Can't Hide It


Gointoagogo
 Share

Recommended Posts

This is currently sitting at £1750 on Tim Brown's auction with an hour to go. It seems extremely high to me (100+% above price you would expect?)

Is it one of those that's flavour of the month?

Am I right in thinking that on these auctions the bids don't go up in increments - so If I put a bid in now of £2000 and no ne else had a bid then I would get it at £2000 even though previous high bid was £1750?

Link to comment
Social source share

2 hours ago, Premium Stuff said:

Yes - they are blind auctions - somebody could bid a tenner and you could bid a grand - and you would win at a grand ...

Frightening! I know I pay over the odds occasionally but I could never see me getting involved in a blind auction.

The last I saw of this Appreciations record it was at £1810 - Admittedly it's a fantastic oldie (but not an overplayed oldie), but £1.8k??

Link to comment
Social source share

18 hours ago, Premium Stuff said:

Yes - they are blind auctions - somebody could bid a tenner and you could bid a grand - and you would win at a grand ...

You would be unwise to contest an auction of this sort in the age of eBay. Blind auctions were OK pre-eBay but are now outmoded. Unless there is a record that you absolutely must have regardless of rarity, cost or condition, blind auctions are best avoided. A bit of patience will be rewarded in the future by steering clear of blind auctions and awaiting a set-sale or incremental-bid auction. John Manship's auction records may be a tad pricier than similar records elsewhere but the bid-system used is completely transparent and fair to all involved.

Link to comment
Social source share

5 hours ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

You would be unwise to contest an auction of this sort in the age of eBay. Blind auctions were OK pre-eBay but are now outmoded. Unless there is a record that you absolutely must have regardless of rarity, cost or condition, blind auctions are best avoided. A bit of patience will be rewarded in the future by steering clear of blind auctions and awaiting a set-sale or incremental-bid auction. John Manship's auction records may be a tad pricier than similar records elsewhere but the bid-system used is completely transparent and fair to all involved.

There's no such thing as a fair auction. If you don't like the way it's run, then don't get involved. How many times have I had a snipe on a record on ebay which has been pulled because somebody offered the seller a huge amount of money to do so?

Shill bidding is rife. At one time you could spot it easily, but ebay have made it impossible to see who is bidding these days. You can't even check what people have been buying on their feedback anymore.

Edited by Quinvy
Link to comment
Social source share

8 hours ago, Quinvy said:

There's no such thing as a fair auction. If you don't like the way it's run, then don't get involved. How many times have I had a snipe on a record on ebay which has been pulled because somebody offered the seller a huge amount of money to do so?

Shill bidding is rife. At one time you could spot it easily, but ebay have made it impossible to see who is bidding these days. You can't even check what people have been buying on their feedback anymore.

Maybe, but some auctions are fairer than others. If both buyer and seller are satisfied with the final bid then that counts as a fair auction. You are right to be alert to shill bidding as this occurs but is usually detectable.

Link to comment
Social source share

1 hour ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Maybe, but some auctions are fairer than others. If both buyer and seller are satisfied with the final bid then that counts as a fair auction. You are right to be alert to shill bidding as this occurs but is usually detectable.

But I'm sure the winners of the records on Tim's auction will be highly delighted, as will Tim.

It's impossible to tell who is bidding on eBay auctions now.

Link to comment
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Log in to Soul Source

Jump right back in!

Log in now!
 Share

  1. Appreciations!!!! I Cant Hide It.
    Record Wants by Ethan Brent James on Thu 15 Mar 2018
    • 3 / 797
    • Ethan Brent James on 15 Mar 2018
    • 3 / 546
    • on 06 Sep 2014
  2. Appreciations "i Can't Hide It" Aware
    Record Sales by hootenannie on Thu 10 Jan 2013
    • 3 / 896
    • hootenannie on 10 Jan 2013
  3. The Appreciations - I Can't Hide It (aware)
    Record Wants by Nick Soule on Mon 23 Aug 2010
    • 5 / 1082
    • colouredman on 23 Sep 2010
  4. Blue Green - " Cant Hide It" (easter's Records)
    Record Sales by Dandm on Tue 30 Jun 2020
    • 1 / 352
    • Dandm on 30 Jun 2020
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.