Parkers Hotel Manchester

Guest marion

When looking through Topics that have been posted on All our Yesterdays, it would seem that alot relate to the sixties era. As I was only born in 1968 I did not start going out to Soul Events until the eighties. One event in particular always brings back fantastic memories ~ Parkers Hotel, Manchester. Alot of people used to travel to this monthly event and stay over night. I made the journey many times, along with the Boys from St Neots. Fond memories.

Social source share

• Replies 45
  • Views 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

When looking through Topics that have been posted on All our Yesterdays, it would seem that alot relate to the sixties era. As I was only born in 1968 I did not start going out to Soul Events until the eighties. One event in particular always brings back fantastic memories ~ Parkers Hotel, Manchester. Alot of people used to travel to this monthly event and stay over night. I made the journey many times, along with the Boys from St Neots. Fond memories.

I totally agree that Parker's was a superb venue - I consider myself privileged to have been asked to DJ there by Richard and Dean, when they ran it as a two-room event for a while. It near to broke my heart to go past the venue a couple of weeks ago and to find that it had been turned into student flats or something like that...

I always used to go up for Friday night, go to Dean's 'warm up' do at the little club at the top of Whitworth Street (can't remember the name!), spend all day Saturday record shopping at "Expansion", Rod Shard's stall in Affllecks market and the first version of "That Beatin' Rhythm" in Shambles Square, stay overnight after the dance (how many venues have there ever been where you can get from the last record to your bed in under 5 minutes?) and return back to London on the Sunday in eager anticipation of the next one.

Brilliant times for any soul fan!

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

Unfortunately I don't remember much about those nights - especially after drinking (dribbling) with the Alkaline Brothers......

oh yeah - Allo Marion :thumbsup:

Girf

Social source share

I always used to go up for Friday night, go to Dean's 'warm up' do at the little club at the top of Whitworth Street (can't remember the name!), spend all day Saturday record shopping at "Expansion", Rod Shard's stall in Affllecks market and the first version of "That Beatin' Rhythm" in Shambles Square, stay overnight after the dance (how many venues have there ever been where you can get from the last record to your bed in under 5 minutes?) and return back to London on the Sunday in eager anticipation of the next one.

Bloody hell Tony, you've said it all for me really. A crowd of us from South London/Surrey would go up on a regular basis. If I was lucky, it would co-incide with City/Utd away game. I think the London influence played a big part, as they would get a few of the London jocks like Norman Jay etc. It was great for me in particular as 2 step was prevalent and I soaked it all in like a sponge. Like you Marion, I am one of the younger ones and remember those days with great fondness

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

I loved Parkers!

As Tony pointed out, one minute you could be on the dance floor and the next minute in your pyjamas-excellent! :D

I still have a couple of souvenirs from the time-a soap in it's little miniature cardboard box with "Parkers" printed on and I think a bubble bath and shower cap too.

I am sure I saw Ronnie McNeir there, I have a vague memory of him sitting at the piano but I could have made that bit up. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I loved Parkers!

As Tony pointed out, one minute you could be on the dance floor and the next minute in your pyjamas-excellent! :D

I still have a couple of souvenirs from the time-a soap in it's little miniature cardboard box with "Parkers" printed on and I think a bubble bath and shower cap too.

I am sure I saw Ronnie McNeir there, I have a vague memory of him sitting at the piano but I could have made that bit up. :thumbsup:

Ronnie McNeir was definately on. Great night, he sang "sitting in my class" impromptu after a few shouts from the crowd.

The building changed to flats quite quickly after the night ended. I was in a spot of trouble in 1994 and went to have a look at the accomadation. Did'nt fancy it, too upsetting.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

I totally agree that Parker's was a superb venue - I consider myself privileged to have been asked to DJ there by Richard and Dean, when they ran it as a two-room event for a while. It near to broke my heart to go past the venue a couple of weeks ago and to find that it had been turned into student flats or something like that...

chull from preston was one of the original DJ's,think the venue on whitworth street was the gallery,some great two room nights with various themes and quite a few northern nights in the early nineties,the diversity of the playlist was something to behold,pre-release exclusives,seventies monsters,beloyd,almeta latimore etc,steppers and sixties classics like barbara lewis "hello stranger" all recieved with equal enthusiasm,sure derek pearson will add to this,being a regular attender as well

Mick

Social source share

Hello Girf, Your right, you certainly wouldn't remember that fantastic New Years Eve Doo....I would being tea total !

Parkers was a Doo where alot of people made an effort to travel to, the music and atmosphere was great.

Love the Joe Hinton clip ~ its great when nobody else is in the office, I can have the choons blasting out.

Social source share

Guest soul4life

I loved Parkers!

As Tony pointed out, one minute you could be on the dance floor and the next minute in your pyjamas-excellent! laugh.gif

I am sure I saw Ronnie McNeir there, I have a vague memory of him sitting at the piano but I could have made that bit up. blush.gif

parkers was brilliant and ronnie mcneir did appear there remember it like it was yesterday! priceless moment was when ronnie forgot the words to sitting in my class and the crowd began singing it to him which literally brought the great man to tears! cherished memories indeed....

Social source share

I had some awesome nights up there in the early 90s...always loved the atmosphere in the main room (where the cool people hung out) and the music in the second room....

I remember a great new-years eve do there with Sam and Bob Hinsley in the back room....nights to die for........

Chris

I remember you giving me a lift up there Chris, Great memories , beleive it was NYE 1994...... :(

Social source share

I remember you giving me a lift up there Chris, Great memories , beleive it was NYE 1994...... :thumbsup:

It must have been NYE 93 into 94. It was me and Bob Hinsley who did the back room together all night.

Bob turned up with a radio so we could hear the midnight chimes and make the usual happy new year announcement. We managed to forget and missed it by two minutes but did'nt tell anyone and proceeded to play the Dells "Make Sure" at midnight or two minutes past midnight to be precise.

The last record was Holland Dozier Holland "why can't we be lovers" with people dancing around in a circle!

I stashed my records in Chalkys room collecting them the next day.

I'm sure Sam did do the back room as a Northern special assisted by Phil Wainwright.

Too be honest, Parkers for me was Richard and Dean leading the way. They had the best mix of music by far. Where else would "Stupidity" Solomon Burke and Sounds of Blackness fill the floora tone venue. I'm biased of couse. Miss it loads.

Regards Alan

Social source share

Guest barnsey

never realy been big into modern but had some good nites in there with phil and alex.bit like a busmans holiday.liked applejacks in st helens aswell :thumbsup:

Social source share

Always remember that every inch of floorspace was being danced on when the lights went on. Wasn't Areatha's "Dont let me lose this dream" (see sperate topic) one of Dean's big Parkers tunes? I remember going to record fairs and picking copies up for a couple of quid around that time. I also remember Kev Johnno telling Richard what his Darlene Love "Too late etc was, he was not best pleased. :angry: :thumbsup: Great great nights.

BH

Social source share

top, top venue. carried on when thorne left us high and high. a mini bus from derby with "wedge" willets driving." whole lotta you in me" on the tape player. gonna be a great night. it was!!! other nights include the jazz room downstairs, al johnson doing it to death.AND hearing " home is where the hatred is" other than my house. dean to thank here i think.

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

barbara lewis "hello stranger"

:thumbsup:

....for some reason, this is what sticks in my mind when I think of Parker's.....just looking out over that packed room & hearing 'HS'....

Oh well..... that and the soap I nicked....but I had partly used it, so I'm not a common thief, unlike other people who were not brought up as well as what I was. There was never any thievery of any sort in my family.

I also remember Adam B's unusually 'tired & emotional' spot and his countenance the next morning. :lol: It's the only time I've actually seen another person green in the face...

Erm...happy days...

Social source share

1968 My Arse !!! whistling.gif:thumbsup:

Hope I'v got the right Marion :thumbsup:

Social source share

Always remember that every inch of floorspace was being danced on when the lights went on. Wasn't Areatha's "Dont let me lose this dream" (see sperate topic) one of Dean's big Parkers tunes? I remember going to record fairs and picking copies up for a couple of quid around that time. I also remember Kev Johnno telling Richard what his Darlene Love "Too late etc was, he was not best pleased. :angry: laugh.gif Great great nights.

BH

Where's the separate thread ? is it a Parkers playlist thread? If not can somebody start one as I loved those nights :thumbsup:

Social source share

Like everyone else I adored Parkers, I remember the new years eve do's and Richard Searlings 40th ? in the back room after the main room had shut (ticket only). Richard proceeded to play a superb set of his favourites from all decades. I remember hearing Beau Williams- give him up and Loleatta Holloway- I just can't help myself.

Dean used to play some quality mid tempo/ballads early doors.

Floyd Smith -getting nowhere fast and JJ Barnes - I think I've got a chance.

Miss it a hell of a lot sad.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...Funny how none of us remembers the same specific 'Parkers' record, innit? For me, it's two that I'm sure nobody else will recall especially vividly - "Do You Believe In Love At First Sight" by Sweet James Epps (the very definition of an early doors classic) and a brave Dean play that actually filled the floor, Granddaddy I.U.'s hip hop remake of "Sugar Free" on Cold Chillin'...

...But of course, there were hundreds more goodies besides these, so let's hear some more of your preferred Parker's plays and see what memories they evoke!

TONE :lol:

PS: I do actually have one bad Parker's memory, from when I played the small room as part of the "Sidedoor Soul Collective". Thanks to Mole, nowadays of MonuMENTAL fame, my styrene copy of Walter Jackson's "Let Me Come Back" is now cracked from edge to centre due to his hamfisted and ultimately tragic attempt to push the vinyl onto a centre that was too big to fit the hole. Amazingly we are still friends - and, if nothing else, I always think of Parker's when I hear this tune, wherever I am... :)

Social source share

...Funny how none of us remembers the same specific 'Parkers' record, innit? For me, it's two that I'm sure nobody else will recall especially vividly - "Do You Believe In Love At First Sight" by Sweet James Epps (the very definition of an early doors classic) and a brave Dean play that actually filled the floor, Granddaddy I.U.'s hip hop remake of "Sugar Free" on Cold Chillin'...

...But of course, there were hundreds more goodies besides these, so let's hear some more of your preferred Parker's plays and see what memories they evoke!

TONE :lol:

PS: I do actually have one bad Parker's memory, from when I played the small room as part of the "Sidedoor Soul Collective". Thanks to Mole, nowadays of MonuMENTAL fame, my styrene copy of Walter Jackson's "Let Me Come Back" is now cracked from edge to centre due to his hamfisted and ultimately tragic attempt to push the vinyl onto a centre that was too big to fit the hole. Amazingly we are still friends - and, if nothing else, I always think of Parker's when I hear this tune, wherever I am... :)

"I ain't into that" The Rappin Reverend is one I aways remember. But my favourite is Jon Lucian "Would you believe in me", and Jimmy Cobb, both were played elsewhere before but will always remind me of Parkers.

Loads more when I get the time. The best stuff was early doors before the crowds turned up. They also played all the new releases. Teddy P "Believe in love" was hot off the press.

Regards Alan

Social source share

It was always a full day out for coming down from Kendal as we did - get to Manchester at lunchtime, something to eat, then in the afternoon, letting Dean drain bleed my credit card of about £500 each time, then get changed in Parkers hotel and usually one of the first in to hear some of the fantastic things they played early doors before the bulk of the crowd showed up around 10.30/11pm. I could not (and still can't) understand why people would turn up late and miss all that fantastic music, most of which they probably couldn't get away with later on. Had some of the best soul nights out ever at that venue, and some when I think of Parkers a few records immediately spring to mind - Sharon Ridley "Where Did You Learn To Make Love The Way You Do", Chapter 8 "How Can I Get Next To You", Bobby Boyd's "Why Are You Crying" which nearly made me drop my pint when Richard Searling first played it, and yes, Dean always finishing with Jimmy Cobb. Great memories indeed. :)

Social source share

This was at a time when I was in a lull going out to gig wise........early days of owning first house and stuff..........so despite Dean's best efforts on the occasions I went to the old Expansion shop, it's a gig I never went to...............have always felt I missed out here :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Guest soul4life

This was at a time when I was in a lull going out to gig wise........early days of owning first house and stuff..........so despite Dean's best efforts on the occasions I went to the old Expansion shop, it's a gig I never went to...............have always felt I missed out here :D:D:(

Cheers,

Mark R

believe me mark you would hav been at home! unique at the time! quality soul music from start to finish...one of the best monthly soul events EVER..nuff said
Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

:D

....for some reason, this is what sticks in my mind when I think of Parker's.....just looking out over that packed room & hearing 'HS'....

Oh well..... that and the soap I nicked....but I had partly used it, so I'm not a common thief, unlike other people who were not brought up as well as what I was. There was never any thievery of any sort in my family.

I also remember Adam B's unusually 'tired & emotional' spot and his countenance the next morning. :D It's the only time I've actually seen another person green in the face...

Erm...happy days...

Who would bother taking a "partly used" soap home, I ask you? There's never been any of that in my family.

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Ronnie McNeir was definately on. Great night, he sang "sitting in my class" impromptu after a few shouts from the crowd.

The building changed to flats quite quickly after the night ended. I was in a spot of trouble in 1994 and went to have a look at the accomadation. Did'nt fancy it, too upsetting.

Regards

Alan

Thanks for confirming Ronnie McNeir. Now perhaps you could confirm that he was wearing a white trouser suit.....I think that bit of the memory is wrong isn't it? :D

Social source share

Thanks for confirming Ronnie McNeir. Now perhaps you could confirm that he was wearing a white trouser suit.....I think that bit of the memory is wrong isn't it? :D

Not sure about that one Karen, but Al Johnson in a shell suit if my memory serves me right. Eddie Parker in a white jump suit with leopard skin trim and matching headband at Stafford.

Next :D

Social source share

Not sure about that one Karen, but Al Johnson in a shell suit if my memory serves me right. Eddie Parker in a white jump suit with leopard skin trim and matching headband at Stafford.

Next :D

You seem to have no trouble remembering what they were wearing....but lets see you remember what YOU were wearing........ :D

Girf

Social source share

You seem to have no trouble remembering what they were wearing....but lets see you remember what YOU were wearing........ :D

Girf

On one of the new years eve do's I was wearing a Juventus top ( No idea why! )

And I nearly got a good hiding from some locals who thought it was a Newcastle top :D

Happy days

Ps I used to stay in the family room at parkers ( on a fold up bed) with Val & Dave, to keep the cost down.

Thrifty Binsy

Social source share

TONE

Aretha's beautiful "Never Let Me Go" spun by Dean, early doors.

Bloody hell. I'd had it for years but it, somehow, never sounded better!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

It must have been NYE 93 into 94. It was me and Bob Hinsley who did the back room together all night.

Bob turned up with a radio so we could hear the midnight chimes and make the usual happy new year announcement. We managed to forget and missed it by two minutes but did'nt tell anyone and proceeded to play the Dells "Make Sure" at midnight or two minutes past midnight to be precise.

The last record was Holland Dozier Holland "why can't we be lovers" with people dancing around in a circle!

I stashed my records in Chalkys room collecting them the next day.

I'm sure Sam did do the back room as a Northern special assisted by Phil Wainwright.

Too be honest, Parkers for me was Richard and Dean leading the way. They had the best mix of music by far. Where else would "Stupidity" Solomon Burke and Sounds of Blackness fill the floora tone venue. I'm biased of couse. Miss it loads.

Regards Alan

Remember the night well Alan........well sort of :D:thumbsup: great night it was too :yes:

Such a shame that venues like this now only a memory.....and to turn the place into flats is a joke ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Anyone got soundclips for these? Or any of the other Parkers sounds?

taking a "partly used" soap home? There's never been any of that in my family.

What, soap? I thought as much... tongue.gif

Social source share

Martyn - yes birth certificate is definately for 1968 wink.gif , honest - so you probably have the right Marion...god help ya if there were 2 of me loose on this planet !!

Social source share

Martyn - yes birth certificate is definately for 1968 :D , honest - so you probably have the right Marion...god help ya if there were 2 of me loose on this planet !!

:yes: That would have made you 12 when you were going to Yate & Peterborough in my car...However the possibility of 2 Marions from St Neots is remote :thumbsup:

Social source share

Martyn - your luck must be in - there must 2 Marions in St Neots.....never been Yate i'm afraid :yes:

:D:D:D Phew........Thanks for clearing that one up then ! ! ! :D:D

Sorry for the original comment,I'm sure it won't be the last time I make a t*** of myself on here though :lol:

Social source share

Martyn - I would of replied earlier but have only stopped laughing - seriously though did you ever go Parkers Hotel ?

No Marion,it was after I had stopped going-I'm affraid I'm one of the returnees :unsure:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert