Is There Any Solidarity On The Soul Scene?

Guest Simon

Just recently reading about the Blackpool weekender Kev Roberts was involved in running & by all accounts was a massive success with a large turnout has got me thinking. There were some posts on here very recently about people puportedly being tucked up Mr. Roberts & threatened with lawyers etc.

A fair few people posted in saying they would have nothing to do with his events again & from the posts it looked like he had lost a serious amount of support however from reading this latest Blackpool thread it doesn't seem to have affected him one iota!

So my question is, is there any solidarity on the Soul scene, do peeps really care if somebody gets tucked up by a supposed greedy & despicable promotor or will most people just turn a blind eye as long as they're having a good time?

Simon :(

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

A fair few people posted in saying they would have nothing to do with his events again & from the posts it looked like he had lost a serious amount of support however from reading this latest Blackpool thread it doesn't seem to have affected him one iota!

You'll probably find that those that went to Blackpool never said "they'd never have anything to do with KRL promotions". It is their choice to go, just as much it is others to stayaway.

It's not as though we are all card carrying members of the National Soulcalist Party. :thumbsup:

Finally can I just say that I have never been to any KRL promotion, but that isn't to say I wouldn't in the future. Although from what I have read in the past and the opinion that I have formed, is that his customer relations could do with a bit of improving.

Social source share

Only a small proportion of the soul crowd are posters on here and some just read it for the events listing. I'm surprised KRL gets so wound up by what a few SS members post on here.

===========

Pretty much how I see it as well. Plus you have to factor in that most of us on here have been to a KR event at some time or other, and haven't really had any major problems. So whilst those who went to Whitby etc got the thin edge of the wedge, most people have to have something happen to them personally before they'll react.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

most people have to have something happen to them personally before they'll react.

Winnie:-)

I was hoping someone would post something similar to this, in other walks of life in the past in this country people have come out in support of people who have been done wrong to because they believed in the cause.

As it seems from various posts on here people were done wrong to & threatened so i'm assuming most people are ok with this or would rather not back them or support them?

Simon

Social source share

I was hoping someone would post something similar to this, in other walks of life in the past in this country people have come out in support of people who have been done wrong to because they believed in the cause.

As it seems from various posts on here people were done wrong to & threatened so i'm assuming most people are ok with this or would rather not back them or support them?

Simon

Well I for one wouldn't go to any KRL event , especially after him coming on here threatening people after Whitby. I'd rather spend my money on supporting a local event that's put on for the love of it by decent people who treat the people coming through the door with respect- not just another number!

Social source share

As in life - the soul scene isn't perfect - but what are the alternatives? In the main I think everyone enjoys themselves - 'cos that's what it is really all about.

We even like having a moan & a whinge on here - it is all part of the life we choose to lead.

Long may it continue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

As in life - the soul scene isn't perfect - but what are the alternatives?

The alternatives are not to go & to support people who have been done wrong to, it's called solidarity, believing in a cause, it's how change is brought about & things are improved.

Simon

Social source share

Simon

===============

In other walks of life pay and conditions are usually concerned, or closures of factories etc. This is about music, which to most doesn't have as higher a profile IMO. I did also agree with Martin's point, only a few of the people attending soul events are regular posters on SS, so some may not be aware of any problems at Whitby or anywhere else. Not sure whether it really should be condensed into a one out all out scenario?

Social source share

There has always been "solidarity" on the Soul Scene. We drink together, we fall out, we support each other, but we are not a union. We do not picket. We treat as we find. We never fight each other, we just get on with listening to the music.

If people are upset or dismayed, or affected in any way by Whitby, they must choose to do what they feel they must do.

Will everyone never ever attend another KR event because of Whitby? Its up to them and no one else.

Blackpool was tremendous. The records were too safe, but the venue jaw dropping. Whitby by all accounts was simply unfair. We just get on with it, and people will continue to make their own choices in life and on the Soul Scene.

Is there also a bit of displeasure from the purists because the weekend was a success?

ATB

Brian

Social source share

I wont be going back as I am banned :thumbsup: . I wont want to either. Winnie is right though, I think you have to have something happen to you to keep you away.

It's like someone telling you they had a bad experience in Asda, it dosent stop you shopping there.

That said my best friend went to Blackpool Tower & she was one of the one's that got locked out at Whitby. That was her choice though & I wont have expected her not to go just because of the treatment I received. Though I have to say I was very suprised.

That said I have been told that Richard Searling has more to do with the running of Blackpool then KR, I think that was one of the reasons she went.

Kirstyx

Social source share

I think I'm banned too :thumbsup: But like KirstyM I wouldn't attend any of his venues again anyway, the man has no respect for anyone to which he proved at Whitby ... all that was needed was an apology ... but hey he obviously thinks he's too big to do that sort of thing :D

Social source share

It's like someone telling you they had a bad experience in Asda, it dosent stop you shopping there.

Not true i'm afraid Kirsty, tis fact that if you tell peeps about a bad experience they will tell 10 other people, if you tell of a good experience they will tell only 1 person, would you go in a Restaurant if someone told you the food & service were cr*p?

Simon

Social source share

Not true i'm afraid Kirsty, tis fact that if you tell peeps about a bad experience they will tell 10 other people, if you tell of a good experience they will tell only 1 person, would you go in a Restaurant if someone told you the food & service were cr*p?

Simon

==========

Si,

If you'd have been to that restaurant 3 times and twice it was good and once it was bad, when describing it to a friend, which one would you mention? More than likely the once it was bad. Now as someone aware that people tend to focus on negatives rather than positives, I find it better to find things out for myself :thumbsup:

Social source share

Si,

If you'd have been to that restaurant 3 times and twice it was good and once it was bad, when describing it to a friend, which one would you mention? More than likely the once it was bad. Now as someone aware that people tend to focus on negatives rather than positives, I find it better to find things out for myself :thumbsup:

Fair dos Win but i have tried the 'Restaurant' out before & it made me feel a bit Tom Dick!

Simon :D

Social source share

Simon

I cant speak for anyone else, but I would go & have been to a restaurant if someone had told me it was crap, because I would want to try it for myself. People like different things, one person can think a meal is crap, someone else can like it.

It would be the same if someone told me a do was crap, I would still go & try it myself.

That's just my view though.

Social source share

Fair dos Win but i have tried the 'Restaurant' out before & it made me feel a bit Tom Dick!

Simon :thumbsup:

=========

Agree with you Si, If a restaurant has a consistently bad record of say food poisoning, perhaps you wouldn't return, and would advise friends similarly. How well you know your friends and their tastes would also factor in though.

Social source share

As far as i know I've been to two KRL events in the last 6 years. Both were enjoyable events but I had moans about both. The second was in Blackpool last year...a bloody great weekend with such a wonderful mix of people from our scene but felt a tad bitter about the lack of allnighters and a lack of BIG Named DJs on the sunday night....with the exception of Sean Chapman and Chalky of course.

Has it put me off going to a KRL promoted do...maybe...I was up in Matlock the other weekend but decided to give the M/Bath bash a miss.......

Some of the friends I've made since returning to the scene have nothing but good to say about KR and others are less than complimentary......people speak as they find.

I know I was unhappy about the way KR's wife was treated by some at Whitby.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert