What Percentage Of The Scene Is Gay?

Guest Marisa

Just a silly answer to a ridiculous question really.Isnt it funny that this type of enquiry always seems to come from `freinds`?

Sorry Winnie,being PC was never my forte but how do know I`m not gay?

==========

Never meant you weren't PC, was saying I wasn't PC for laughing out loud at it :thumbsup: But as you say, it was the madness of the question that would have made what you said such an good answer. ie: answer the question with what the questioner would like to hear :)

I have no idea about your sexual orientation, it has no relevance to me, but I do have a friend who'd like to know if you ever wear high visibility jackets :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 70
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest sydney bridge

==========

Never meant you weren't PC, was saying I wasn't PC for laughing out loud at it :thumbsup: But as you say, it was the madness of the question that would have made what you said such an good answer. ie: answer the question with what the questioner would like to hear :)

I have no idea about your sexual orientation, it has no relevance to me, but I do have a friend who'd like to know if you ever wear high visibility jackets :thumbsup:

:D:lol: No I like to stick with the more retro styles but these feathers keep hitting the ceiling when I walk round the house. Edited by sydney bridge
Social source share

My take on this is that men have trouble expressing emotions and feelings. Football may be an outlet for venting those such as anger,frustration etc whilst the music appeals to that softer side that we don't like to admit we have.

As for working class roots/attitudes etc I think we get an extremely biased press. I'd agree NS is a working class phenomena but from the beginning there was an atmosphere of tolerance and friendliness. I've witnessed more trouble down the pub or student disco over a weekend than I have attending various venues over the past 38 years.

Similarly those middle-class orgies of self-congragulation such as Rock against Racism or Live Aid for Africa where hardly a black face is to be seen out of the context of "victim" make me cringe.

We may not have caught on to the PC jargon but we all live together and in the main get on with those of different faiths,colours and sexuality cos a bit of respect and politeness cost us nothing.

The idea that the working class is some kinda unintelligent mob to be mobilised en masse against minorities of any kind is a fallacy put about by

the Media who are predominantly middle class and only condescend to pay any attention when there are flare-ups, which IMO is down to social/economic conditions and not cos we're a bunch of racist homophobes.

ROD

This is a good reply. Your opening quote sums things up quite nicely, plus if you look at any serious vinyl collectors scene, eg, Jazz, Reggae etc you will find it is mostly a male domain.

The thing I have always liked about going to Northern Soul do's myself is there are plenty of like-minded people who are there for the love of the music. Also, being married but going out with friends for a good dance without feeling you're at the local cattle market is another bonus (No atmosphere a la 'ladies free' promotion nites variety). Work it out Winnie why this friend is interested, she's single by the way.

Social source share

This is a good reply. Your opening quote sums things up quite nicely, plus if you look at any serious vinyl collectors scene, eg, Jazz, Reggae etc you will find it is mostly a male domain.

The thing I have always liked about going to Northern Soul do's myself is there are plenty of like-minded people who are there for the love of the music. Also, being married but going out with friends for a good dance without feeling you're at the local cattle market is another bonus (No atmosphere a la 'ladies free' promotion nites variety). Work it out Winnie why this friend is interested, she's single by the way.

==============

I had sort of guessed that she may be single, and assumed she'd wondered why she hadn't been chatted up. By improving her gaydar, maybe she'd cut down on what she sees as wasting her time chatting to the wrong guy? Personally I think the vast majority of the scene is doing what you say, going out and having a good dance and a good time, but I'm sure you've made her aware of that :)

Social source share

Never mind the question,i am sure some lads are wanting to see a photo of the single lady :):lol: ...

Social source share

Never mind the question,i am sure some lads are wanting to see a photo of the single lady :):lol: ...

here she is.

post-4635-1164646467.jpg

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

The music industry has always had many gay people and there are plenty of gay soul artists (in fact we had no less than THREE gay artists at Ardent / Zing / Forever).

And a lot of northern soul tracks are very camp - not to mention Motown, disco and high energy.

But how many gays are on the scene? ...I'm talking about the soul scene, not the gay scene.

:)

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Guest Brian J

TBH I think I am Gay!.

I often get the feeling I am a Lesbian trapped inside a mans body!. :unsure:

Somebody told me that's the only way you could get a woman! :D:lol:

Social source share

My take on this is that men have trouble expressing emotions and feelings. Football may be an outlet for venting those such as anger,frustration etc whilst the music appeals to that softer side that we don't like to admit we have.

As for working class roots/attitudes etc I think we get an extremely biased press. I'd agree NS is a working class phenomena but from the beginning there was an atmosphere of tolerance and friendliness. I've witnessed more trouble down the pub or student disco over a weekend than I have attending various venues over the past 38 years.

Similarly those middle-class orgies of self-congragulation such as Rock against Racism or Live Aid for Africa where hardly a black face is to be seen out of the context of "victim" make me cringe.

We may not have caught on to the PC jargon but we all live together and in the main get on with those of different faiths,colours and sexuality cos a bit of respect and politeness cost us nothing.

The idea that the working class is some kinda unintelligent mob to be mobilised en masse against minorities of any kind is a fallacy put about by

the Media who are predominantly middle class and only condescend to pay any attention when there are flare-ups, which IMO is down to social/economic conditions and not cos we're a bunch of racist homophobes.

ROD

ROD READ IRON JOHN BY ROBERT BLY,HE PUTS A STRONG ARGUMENT FORWARD ON MASCULINE STEREOTYPES,PM ME IF YOU WANT TO LEND IT.ALSO THE CLASS ARGUMENT IN MY OPINION IS FRAUGHT WITH CONDESCENDING CLICHES ,SURE THE SCENE WAS PREDOMONINANTLY WORKING CLASS WITHA SENSE OF TOGETHERNESS ETC,BUT f*** ME ITS NOW 2006 AND ALOT OF THOSE ESTATE KIDS HAVE FLED THE NEST HAVE BUSINESSES ,GOOD JOBS AND PAY FUCKING RIDICULOUS MONEY FOR RARE SOUL.,WELDERS WITH OVERTIME NOW EARN 50K A YEAR.

I THINK THE SENSE OF RESPECT AND TOGETHERNESS WE ALL FELT PARTICULARY IN THE SEVENTIES AT VENUES DID BREED A CERTAIN SPIRIT,BUT VENUES COMPETING ,DJS COMPETING,PROMOTERS FIGHTING CAN HELP CLOUD THE ISSUE SOMEWHAT.WHETHER WE LIKE IT OR NOT WE ARE NOT AS A TOLERANT AS WE USED TO BE ,ITS EASIER GIVING SOMEONE AN ASBO THEN SITTING DOWN AND TALKING TO THEM.

BAZ A.

Edited by baz atkinson
Social source share

Over the years I have brought various people along to northern soul do's who aren't into the scene. They are always taken aback by how dominated the scene is by men, especially considering that alot of the lyrics are about 'love' or songs are tortuous and gut-wrenching, with so much emotion. One recurring question that keeps coming up is 'are they all gay?' Indeed I have been to many a soul venue where there are obviously gay couples in attendance but have tried to explain a little of the history of the scene and it's hetero, male, working class beginnings. (correct me if I'm wrong). One friend in particular is particularly interested so I told her I would post this up to see what response there is as she is keen to fine-tune her gaydar!

GOOD JOB MY TROUSERS DON'T FALL DOWN, I JUST LUV WEARING TIGHTS KEEPS EVERYTHING IN PLACE, MIND U THEY GOT 2 BE CROCHULARS, I THINK I SPELT THAT RIGHT. BILLY

Social source share

:unsure: havnt read most of the bits on here but the original question is just the sort of thing i would expect some mindless moron coming off the street to say its the same with the scooter scene they think your gay if you ride a scooter dont want to get to serious because i aint that bothered but its the same old story if they ask that sort of question in the first place it aint worth explaining, poor things all theyve missed out on just the sort of people that think life revolves around goin down the pub on a fri sat nite getting rat assed acting tough bla bla bla who gives a toss :lol: you have to laugh, i love goin to scooter rallies and soul dos cos im surrounded by my people yes im passionate about the scene can you guess :D
Social source share

:unsure: havnt read most of the bits on here but the original question is just the sort of thing i would expect some mindless moron coming off the street to say its the same with the scooter scene they think your gay if you ride a scooter dont want to get to serious because i aint that bothered but its the same old story if they ask that sort of question in the first place it aint worth explaining, poor things all theyve missed out on just the sort of people that think life revolves around goin down the pub on a fri sat nite getting rat assed acting tough bla bla bla who gives a toss :lol: you have to laugh, i love goin to scooter rallies and soul dos cos im surrounded by my people yes im passionate about the scene can you guess :D

Johnny you are right on both accounts and i just laugh it all off too,

they think we on our scooters are sad little boys going through a mid-life crisis and same goes for my NS too but all they do is drink in the same 2 pubs year in year out with the same old faces getting bladdered and stagger home and think they are living the high life,

For me scootering and NS have introduced me to so many new places and untold amount of new friends and i dont know and dont care if any of them are gay.

ignorence is in the eye of the wanker.gif

Bearsy

Social source share

Can't believe this thread is being allowed. I admit I can banter with the rest of them & like the fun that can be had on Soul Source but I find this totally offensive.

Totally agree with you :thumbsup: who gives a f**k or even cares about anyones sexuality, but it is nice to see Winnie and Baz agreeing with each other for once :thumbsup:

QOFxx

Social source share

having read the thread i have yet to see anyone actually believe there is a valid point to the topic.

therefore i think we should close it.

shane

Social source share