What Percentage Of The Scene Is Gay?

Guest Marisa

Over the years I have brought various people along to northern soul do's who aren't into the scene. They are always taken aback by how dominated the scene is by men, especially considering that alot of the lyrics are about 'love' or songs are tortuous and gut-wrenching, with so much emotion. One recurring question that keeps coming up is 'are they all gay?' Indeed I have been to many a soul venue where there are obviously gay couples in attendance but have tried to explain a little of the history of the scene and it's hetero, male, working class beginnings. (correct me if I'm wrong). One friend in particular is particularly interested so I told her I would post this up to see what response there is as she is keen to fine-tune her gaydar!

Social source share

• Replies 70
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

funny you should say that my, missus says that we all look like homosexuals the way we all dance about, & that a large chunk tends to be blokes doing the dancing, after 12 yrs she still cant get her head round it silly girl

Social source share

Over the years I have brought various people along to northern soul do's who aren't into the scene. They are always taken aback by how dominated the scene is by men, especially considering that alot of the lyrics are about 'love' or songs are tortuous and gut-wrenching, with so much emotion. One recurring question that keeps coming up is 'are they all gay?' Indeed I have been to many a soul venue where there are obviously gay couples in attendance but have tried to explain a little of the history of the scene and it's hetero, male, working class beginnings. (correct me if I'm wrong). One friend in particular is particularly interested so I told her I would post this up to see what response there is as she is keen to fine-tune her gaydar!

Only thing i`ll swop is me records,maybe :lol: me i`m not gay,it`s the others :unsure: where Simsy he`s the S/S gay expert,ax him whistling.gif

Social source share

Marisa , let me tell you, as far as the the Northern scene goes , that "all singing all dancing macho blokiness having fun together" that characterises the scene has much more to do to with the very straight music hall sing along tradition in the United Kingdom or should even just be likened to just a group of blokes having a healthy pub singalong, rather than any "gay" thing ... "not that there's anything wrong with that", as Seinfeld would say ...

Of course there's always been a gay element in the soul scene, as there always has been in any section or group of our society, but really at the end of the day it's always been a MINOR element .

Had an interesting discussion recently with some people about the origins of the Disco scene in the US and the way that it's been documented in various music history books. The gay element in the Disco scene has always been strongly emphasised, with its origins often claimed to emanate from the bath house culture and loft parties in New York in the late 60s early 70s. But really, that gay-centric, New York-centric perspective of the origins of Disco, is not really accurate at all and has been unduly over-emphasised, if anything.

The real driving and creative force behind the development of Disco in every aspect (ie music clothes culture clubs etc), was in fact black heterosexual teens . For evidence of that one only only needs to read the chapter on "Dances" in Robert Pruter's brilliant book "Chicago Soul". That and the emergence of the Soul Train program on US TV screens in 1971 proved to be crucial in the development of disco and dance music in the 70's. This slightly politically incorrect view may raise a whole new issue for debate here but your comments and posts are encouraged !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shades.gif

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

I'm sorry to ask, but are you serious???

...Who cares, who shags who.

Just tell your mates that because the songs are mainly about love, they'd rather not look at that woman they see every day rolleyes.gif . Besides, if the music moved them and they met some nice people on the scene, they would not care about statistics unrelated to vinyl or artists.

m

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

this is a bloody stupid question with no relevance whatso-fuckin-ever ....

does it matter ? who gives a bollox

maybe i'm being a bit spiritual but it is the same as the female dj thing , if a soul fan is male , female , black , white , yellow ,gay , straight , both , english , scottish , even welsh it DOES NOT HAVE ANY RELEVANCE

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

this is a bloody stupid question with no relevance whatso-fuckin-ever ....

does it matter ? who gives a bollox

, even welsh it DOES NOT HAVE ANY RELEVANCE :unsure:ranting_1.gif

you are not serious with that little angry face are you? :lol::lol:

David Henry Llewelyn Hudson

Social source share

TBH I think I am Gay!.

I often get the feeling I am a Lesbian trapped inside a mans body!. rolleyes.gif

dont you think you should change your user name to JARPOT instead then :unsure:

Bearsy

Social source share

=================

Maybe you should give a recurring answer............pi should do the trick biggrin.gif

Social source share

Marisa , let me tell you, as far as the the Northern scene goes , that "all singing all dancing macho blokiness having fun together" that characterises the scene has much more to do to with the very straight music hall sing along tradition in the United Kingdom or should even just be likened to just a group of blokes having a healthy pub singalong, rather than any "gay" thing ... "not that there's anything wrong with that", as Seinfeld would say ...

Of course there's always been a gay element in the soul scene, as there always has been in any section or group of our society, but really at the end of the day it's always been a MINOR element .

Had an interesting discussion recently with some people about the origins of the Disco scene in the US and the way that it's been documented in various music history books. The gay element in the Disco scene has always been strongly emphasised, with its origins often claimed to emanate from the bath house culture and loft parties in New York in the late 60s early 70s. But really, that gay-centric, New York-centric perspective of the origins of Disco, is not really accurate at all and has been unduly over-emphasised, if anything.

The real driving and creative force behind the development of Disco in every aspect (ie music clothes culture clubs etc), was in fact black heterosexual teens . For evidence of that one only only needs to read the chapter on "Dances" in Robert Pruter's brilliant book "Chicago Soul". That and the emergence of the Soul Train program on US TV screens in 1971 proved to be crucial in the development of disco and dance music in the 70's. This slightly politically incorrect view may raise a whole new issue for debate here but your comments and posts are encouraged !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shades.gif

I'm always on the lookout for a good read especially leading up to Xmas so i'll try and get hold of the book 'Chicagi Soul'.

Thanks for your contribution to good, healthy discussion, which, after all is what I thought forums were about.

I've met many fab people on the scene over the years both gay and straight!

Social source share

I'm always on the lookout for a good read especially leading up to Xmas so i'll try and get hold of the book 'Chicagi Soul'.

Thanks for your contribution to good, healthy discussion, which, after all is what I thought forums were about.

I've met many fab people on the scene over the years both gay and straight!

============

I've met many who were grey and in a state biggrin.gif

Social source share

Not suprised to see posts from Maria and George, both having grown up in one of the biggest gay cities of the world therefore making sexual politics a non issue.

BTW There has been a strong affinity within drag queen culture and soul music since the days of Stonewall.

Seriously though, first it was gender based threads now sexuality based ones.... are people just clutching at straws for topics????

Social source share

Yea Come on SIMSY, Where's your input ? ? ? ? :unsure:

Bucky

As a serving member of the Royal Navy I would just like to add that women are ok if you cant get the real thing !!! gotta dash its my turn in the barrel whistling.gif .

Do you not also think there may be an element with women/girls who are not completely on the soul scene that cos we really arnt interested that much in chicks when we're talking/dancing to soul music they get the hump, especially if they are used to getting pestered up down the local trapping joint. Nothing like watching attractive girls/women dance but paranoia & small penis syndrome as well as the tendancy not to stop talking bollox once started are not traits non soul women find attractive in their men.

BTW what percentage of women on the soul scene are lesbians ??? I dont mean those ones in comfortable shoes I mean those real ones that you see in the magazines :lol::lol: .

Russ

Social source share

As a serving member of the Royal Navy I would just like to add that women are ok if you cant get the real thing !!! gotta dash its my turn in the barrel whistling.gif .

Do you not also think there may be an element with women/girls who are not completely on the soul scene that cos we really arnt interested that much in chicks when we're talking/dancing to soul music they get the hump, especially if they are used to getting pestered up down the local trapping joint. Nothing like watching attractive girls/women dance but paranoia & small penis syndrome as well as the tendancy not to stop talking bollox once started are not traits non soul women find attractive in their men.

BTW what percentage of women on the soul scene are lesbians ??? I dont mean those ones in comfortable shoes I mean those real ones that you see in the magazines :unsure::lol: .

Russ

=====

we went to a gay fireworks nite the other week

all the fireworks went off with a puff!

sorry

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

=====

we went to a gay fireworks nite the other week

all the fireworks went off with a puff!

sorry

:thumbsup: Maybe its because its Monday but that is funny. I once saw a gay friend fall over a small stool in a pub, a poof falling over a pouffe. My how we laughed. All of us.

Erm, does it matter who is gay? My mate reckons that your average soul night looks like a football firm's retirement party, not a night in Heaven, we're all too ugly to be gay.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

It does not matter really anyone can come on the scene we don't care as long as they enjoy it. only 2 things though

1. if your gay and try chatting me up i will be off before you can goodbye, i am not gay and to be chatted up by one would make me not happy

2. if you see a girl you chat to and she says i am a lesbian it makes me think oh man my plan has gone up the duff

Social source share

Who me dear gay dear no dear....

I think there's a lot of truth in this...I've always threatened to do an article about how big the influence of Gay men has been on the Northern Soul scene. It's hardly the butchest music in the world...all those strings, the emotion, the tempo, the drama...oh hang on thats High Energy.

All together now...

'A touch of V ( *) enus is a wonderful moment..... there's nothing worse than being a clone...excuse me while I kiss this guy.....he's all I got...' 'You Didn't Say A Word Is' socamp it's untrue... and as for those whoops in tracks like The Velvets 'I Got To Find Me Somebody'. Of course, this is only a problem if you think Gay, or even camp, is a bad thing...

All together now...boopity boop boop.....can't help loving that man of miiiiiiiine....

Social source share

:thumbsup: Maybe its because its Monday but that is funny. I once saw a gay friend fall over a small stool in a pub, a poof falling over a pouffe. My how we laughed. All of us.

Well Stuart, I hope whoever was responsible for the small stool eventually cleaned it up, and vowed to keep his dog under control!

I don't really think it's appropriate to question ones sexuality on the soul scene, let alone in general. We are now in the millenium, and with the fact that homosexuality/bisexuality has been brought out in the open and, therefore, more widely accepted, I believe that every music scene has a gay element, same as it does a mixed race element.

After all, isn't the soul scene all about the music? Should diversity be brought into it?

Yours,

Gene (straight, married, and doesn't give a monkeys!)

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

It does not matter really anyone can come on the scene we don't care as long as they enjoy it. only 2 things though

1. if your gay and try chatting me up i will be off before you can goodbye, i am not gay and to be chatted up by one would make me not happy

2. if you see a girl you chat to and she says i am a lesbian it makes me think oh man my plan has gone up the duff

I hope one day your real identity is uncovered!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::):D:lol:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I think there's a lot of truth in this...I've always threatened to do an article about how big the influence of Gay men has been on the Northern Soul scene. It's hardly the butchest music in the world...all those strings, the emotion, the tempo, the drama...oh hang on thats High Energy.

All together now...

'A touch of V ( *) enus is a wonderful moment..... there's nothing worse than being a clone...excuse me while I kiss this guy.....he's all I got...' 'You Didn't Say A Word Is' socamp it's untrue... and as for those whoops in tracks like The Velvets 'I Got To Find Me Somebody'. Of course, this is only a problem if you think Gay, or even camp, is a bad thing...

All together now...boopity boop boop.....can't help loving that man of miiiiiiiine....

My brother does a wonderfully camp Drag Queen impression to 'Kiss my love goodbye'. One that would look great in Prescilla Queen of the Desert.

Northern Soul helped this small town boy have a more enlightened attitude towards gay and black men especially. Lezzer's are less visible on the scene, but I obviously know one or two. I guess it is because at all nighters these guys could and can be themselves without some local heroic neanderthal wanting to bash them cos they are queer or a different colour. Its one of the sides to the northern soul scene that we can really be proud of.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

My take on this is that men have trouble expressing emotions and feelings. Football may be an outlet for venting those such as anger,frustration etc whilst the music appeals to that softer side that we don't like to admit we have.

As for working class roots/attitudes etc I think we get an extremely biased press. I'd agree NS is a working class phenomena but from the beginning there was an atmosphere of tolerance and friendliness. I've witnessed more trouble down the pub or student disco over a weekend than I have attending various venues over the past 38 years.

Similarly those middle-class orgies of self-congragulation such as Rock against Racism or Live Aid for Africa where hardly a black face is to be seen out of the context of "victim" make me cringe.

We may not have caught on to the PC jargon but we all live together and in the main get on with those of different faiths,colours and sexuality cos a bit of respect and politeness cost us nothing.

The idea that the working class is some kinda unintelligent mob to be mobilised en masse against minorities of any kind is a fallacy put about by

the Media who are predominantly middle class and only condescend to pay any attention when there are flare-ups, which IMO is down to social/economic conditions and not cos we're a bunch of racist homophobes.

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

All together now...

OUCH! That hit home Simon! Good post.

Social source share

My take on this is that men have trouble expressing emotions and feelings. Football may be an outlet for venting those such as anger,frustration etc whilst the music appeals to that softer side that we don't like to admit we have.

As for working class roots/attitudes etc I think we get an extremely biased press. I'd agree NS is a working class phenomena but from the beginning there was an atmosphere of tolerance and friendliness. I've witnessed more trouble down the pub or student disco over a weekend than I have attending various venues over the past 38 years.

Similarly those middle-class orgies of self-congragulation such as Rock against Racism or Live Aid for Africa where hardly a black face is to be seen out of the context of "victim" make me cringe.

We may not have caught on to the PC jargon but we all live together and in the main get on with those of different faiths,colours and sexuality cos a bit of respect and politeness cost us nothing.

The idea that the working class is some kinda unintelligent mob to be mobilised en masse against minorities of any kind is a fallacy put about by

the Media who are predominantly middle class and only condescend to pay any attention when there are flare-ups, which IMO is down to social/economic conditions and not cos we're a bunch of racist homophobes.

ROD

You have a point there.......... But I think it's much better to got to a football match and vent one's frustrations there than in a say, one on one road rage incident. In fact, there's nothing better than an afternoon up the Cobblers ( :thumbsup::thumbsup: ) shouting yer head off at someone else's inadequacies, whether the ref or players. Win or lose, I look forward to a complete contrast of un-macho ness at a soul night. :)

Social source share

I don't think it's un PC just not very accurate ! Ian Levine in biker leathers....no. It's wrong just plain wrong. Did you know one of the current fashionable Gay looks was those brightly coloured workmen Hi Vis things and boots? It's hilarious.

YMCA it's fun at the YMCA go west go west a touch of penis oh my god walk like a man, don't pity me, high drama of the first order.

Social source share

I don't think it's un PC just not very accurate ! Ian Levine in biker leathers....no. It's wrong just plain wrong. Did you know one of the current fashionable Gay looks was those brightly coloured workmen Hi Vis things and boots? It's hilarious.

YMCA it's fun at the YMCA go west go west a touch of penis oh my god walk like a man, don't pity me, high drama of the first order.

=============

The inaccuracy was what made me laugh, and what a fantastic answer to such a strange question. Give people stereotypes, it makes them feel so much safer :thumbsup:

I had no idea about the latest gay fashion statement, but my postman has just come to my door in a high visibility jacket, which has left me wondering......................

What percentage of postmen are gay? :thumbsup:

Social source share

You need to worry if you are sat at the bar and he offers to push your stool in...

Social source share

Guest sydney bridge

=============

The inaccuracy was what made me laugh, and what a fantastic answer to such a strange question. Give people stereotypes, it makes them feel so much safer :thumbsup:

I had no idea about the latest gay fashion statement, but my postman has just come to my door in a high visibility jacket, which has left me wondering......................

What percentage of postmen are gay? :thumbsup:

Just a silly answer to a ridiculous question really.Isnt it funny that this type of enquiry always seems to come from `freinds`?

Sorry Winnie,being PC was never my forte but how do know I`m not gay?

Social source share