So What Makes A Good Dj

Bazza

So what makes a good DJ

is it just the tunes he plays

or is it the tunes he owns and plays

supposing he borrows a few tunes and plays them along with his own (he does not own them) is that ok ?

I expect a few hypocritical answers to this one

shades.gif Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

• Replies 230
  • Views 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

So what makes a good DJ

supposing he borrows a few tunes and plays them along with his own (he does not own them) is that ok ?

shades.gif Bazza

Good taste, passion, individualism & the ability to understand how a dancefloor works.

Simon :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Hi Simon,yes thats dead right,could'nt agree more,but does he have to own the tunes he plays :wicked:

Bazza

Nope, as long as they are not nasty pressings, its fine to borrow tunes off a mate. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Not just the ones with cash mountains,thats for sure :wicked: ..Some out there have no fooooooookin clue how to put a set together but they have a box full of big ticket tunes :lol: ....Its not an easy question though is it??? some love a certain dj and others think they are crap..

No it isnt.. rolleyes.gif just trying to throw a mischievous spanner in :D

Bazza

Social source share

Nope, as long as they are not nasty pressings, its fine to borrow tunes off a mate. thumbsup.gif

Oh, i'm afraid i don't really agree with that Stu, think you should play yer own tunes, i'm sure though a man of your immense tunage would never have to resort to this.

Simon :wicked:

Social source share

Not just the ones with cash mountains,thats for sure :wicked: ..Some out there have no fooooooookin clue how to put a set together but they have a box full of big ticket tunes :lol: ....Its not an easy question though is it??? some love a certain dj and others think they are crap..

Dead Right Stevie, look how the promoters/dealers sucked up to Steve Chadwick cause he had pots of (someone else') cash. He hadn't a clue about DJing but hey he had lots of cash. ranting_1.gif

BH

Social source share

Good Taste - An ear for a tune!

Ability to put a set together - Presentation Skills & Diversity in the Playlist

Personality - No Deadbeats!

And at the end of the day, there's no substitute for experience!

Collectors who 'just play records' and call that entertainment leave me cold.... and the dancefloor empty.

IMO

Sean

Social source share

Collectors who 'just play records' and call that entertainment leave me cold.... and the dancefloor empty.

IMO

Sean

The first three qualities sum you up to a tee Sean, and good looks of course thumbsup.gif

BH

Social source share

IMO

Sean

Yes, right... but i would say a good collection helps...

Social source share

Good taste, passion, individualism & the ability to understand how a dancefloor works.

Simon :lol:

I think the ability to read the dancefloor is essential

what Djs have to remember is he/she will judged as good or crap dependant on what happens on the piece of wood in front of them!!!

Atho Ido have some favorite Dj's locally I find once I say I like them they go and play the crappest set ever!!! :wicked:

I have also known one Dj play a whole set to an empty dancefloor ( he hasn't been invited back to that club since)

Ive also seen Dj's play all their loved ones favourites and theyve been virtually the only people on the dancefloor

All I ask is for djs to look at the dancefloor if no one is on it play summat else

And before anyone pipes up there are folks who don't dance to consider I agree with that too

BUT...if they come to and oldies do expect that policy

if they go to a modern do expect that that policy

I expect clubs to do what they say on the flyer

Mand thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Looks and dress code make a dj in the city center clubs..Is that not the same on the northern scene :wicked: ..

If thats the case I dont think any of you are any good then whistling.gif:lol:

Social source share

Not just the ones with cash mountains,thats for sure thumbsup.gif ..Some out there have no fooooooookin clue how to put a set together but they have a box full of big ticket tunes :wicked:

Interesting one this, all the so called big name djs on the scene have big ticket tunes & that is in the main what they play, i know Butch occasionally plays the odd cheapie like the Belles but that usually becomes a big ticket tune before the record has even left the decks.

I'm sure there are some good djs out there with a box of cheapies but doubt seriously if they'd ever be given a chance on the big stage so to speak.

Simon

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Oh, i'm afraid i don't really agree with that Stu, think you should play yer own tunes, i'm sure though a man of your immense tunage would never have to resort to this.

Simon unsure.gif

Think quite a few people have borrowed records off mates over the years and the like. I don't mean someone who turns up with their entire set made out of someone else's records though, although that might work out okay if they know what they're doing. I've ponced a record off Sharnya for the next Solid Hit Soul and I'm not ashamed to admit it, it needs playing and I can't get one.

Social source share

Think quite a few people have borrowed records off mates over the years and the like. I don't mean someone who turns up with their entire set made out of someone else's records though, although that might work out okay if they know what they're doing. I've ponced a record off Sharnya for the next Solid Hit Soul and I'm not ashamed to admit it, it needs playing and I can't get one.

Okay, as it's you Stu & just the one track i'll let you off. :wicked:

And seeing as i'm in such a charitable mood if anyone wants to borrow my copy of Footsee to dj with just give me a shout!

Simon tongue.gif

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Love the new boards!!

Knowledge of the songs being played helps too (what album or CD it came from, producers, year released, etc.)! You can only imagine how many I have ran into that when I ask a question about a choon they are playing I either get a "I don't know" or "It's my own mix" (which could be a lie sometimes to cover up what they don't know). :shhh:

Social source share

Love the new boards!!

Knowledge of the songs being played helps too (what album or CD it came from, producers, year released, etc.)! You can only imagine how many I have ran into that when I ask a question about a choon they are playing I either get a "I don't know" or "It's my own mix" (which could be a lie sometimes to cover up what they don't know). :yes:

Its my own mix :shhh: ..Not sure that guy is playing anymore on the northern scene now...I have told a person that the tune was my dad and they then told others :lol: ,i had to come clean before the whole place thought i was the love child of Kenny Lynch :lol:

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Its my own mix :shhh: ..Not sure that guy is playing anymore on the northern scene now...I have told a person that the tune was my dad and they then told others :lol: ,i had to come clean before the whole place thought i was the love child of Kenny Lynch :yes:

:lol::yes::lol: :lol: :lol:

I would too!

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

And seeing as i'm in such a charitable mood if anyone wants to borrow my copy of Footsee to dj with just give me a shout!

Simon :shhh:

I thought it was my turn?

Social source share

So what makes a good DJ

:shhh: Bazza

=================

Someone who puts the needs of the dance floor above his/her own. Can't see a problem borrowing tunes at a local night if you're a local DJ, bigger nights I wouldn't expect that to happen.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

WOW :lol: everythings gone blue :lol: .... man.....COOL :shhh: ........oh yeah where was I ?....oh the DJ thing,let me see..

Be happy,keep the dancers happy...play something for everyone,play across the board,bias towards the majority,you'll know what's expected b4 hand,unless ya thick of course.

Good afternoon to all the readers.... :yes:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

=================

Someone who puts the needs of the dance floor above his/her own. Can't see a problem borrowing tunes at a local night if you're a local DJ, bigger nights I wouldn't expect that to happen.

Winnie:-)

Think that must be largely correct, although surely there are exceptions, say someone was DJing and had a mate who was a reclusive type who'd never DJ but who had some of the most amazing unknown one offs and offered to lend them for playing? They'd be mad not to to at least consider sharing the sounds with everyone else, surely? Personally I think that'd be the right thing to do. I'm still looking for such a friend.... :shhh:

Social source share

Im surprised at Stuart T. The cost of borrowing has risen sharply under this faux-pas Consevative administration and to contribute to that is reckless adventurism and damaging to fiscal prudence.

On the bright side the cost of burrowing has declined dramatically since exempting moles from VAT.

It would also suggest you ain't got enough good records for a spot. Of course Im not suggesting that. Im just saying it could in certain circumstances unconnected to myself.

Bloody lawyers.

ROD

Social source share

Think that must be largely correct, although surely there are exceptions, say someone was DJing and had a mate who was a reclusive type who'd never DJ but who had some of the most amazing unknown one offs and offered to lend them for playing? They'd be mad not to to at least consider sharing the sounds with everyone else, surely? Personally I think that'd be the right thing to do. I'm still looking for such a friend.... :shhh:

No Stuart

Just looking for any freinds i hear...... :lol: ..There are some call lines set up now for xmas,just dial one of those and they will pretend to be your freind..

Social source share

So what makes a good DJ

:lol: Bazza

Can't help wondering what's prompted this... is it a veiled swipe at a neighbouring DJ/Promoter like the "Proper Soulies" thread? :shhh:

Social source share

Sean, I was at Alan D's reception where you and Andy were playing. I do remember thinking who were these two tits.

ROD

:lol:

Yes, I take your point... the occasion did get to both of us.... and I even managed to squeeze in "Build Me Up Buttercup" on the night for all the Mums & Aunty Doris's... but the biggest Tit on the night was the lovable Dean... who managed to play the same record (Nina Simone - My Baby Just Cares For Me) twice inside 10 minutes!

Priceless.

:shhh:

Sean

Social source share

Can't help wondering what's prompted this... is it a veiled swipe at a neighbouring DJ/Promoter like the "Proper Soulies" thread? :shhh:

Wrong thread for you Dave....Pitching up in the other topic :lol: ...Go and tell them about your +5 stompers :yes: ...The board is alive and well today..Stuart on form after a call to Samaritans,Winnie just out of bed and gearing up now,Dave just back from Milking,its gonna be fun fun fun..

Social source share

No not a veiled swipe at anyone, :yes: infact i couldnt care less,I go out to venues for only one reason to enjoy myself,I dont get involved with the politics,CDs or Vinyl..not bothered,but some of the DJs on SS do have strong views on such things.just wondered thats all :lol:

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

A question, only because I felt this way at a recent outing:

Have you ever heard someone DJ and he/she was so horrible that you just wanted to jump behind where they were and save them? I must admit, I came close this one time. I mean, he was HORRIBLE! I ended up leaving the event early! :shhh:

Social source share

Wrong thread for you Dave....Pitching up in the other topic :shhh: ...Go and tell them about your +5 stompers :lol: ...The board is alive and well today..Stuart on form after a call to Samaritans,Winnie just out of bed and gearing up now,Dave just back from Milking,its gonna be fun fun fun..

And Steve's getting ready to polish off another 6 pack of mousses.... :yes: Fun Fun Fun!!!

A good dj tells me what the records are called (so I can pretend I knew all along) and lots of 70s...not too much crackly out of tune stuff that should have been left in Detroit :yes: This afternoon I've been listening to Johnny T and Flanny on Solar and they are very good by the way :lol:

Social source share

Have you ever heard someone DJ and he/she was so horrible that you just wanted to jump behind where they were and save them? I must admit, I came close this one time. I mean, he was HORRIBLE! I ended up leaving the event early! :lol:

Ahem, yes frequently!

Simon :shhh:

Social source share

============

Personally wouldn't have any problems with the above, very unlikely scenario, but in the interests of furtherance of the scene.......... :lol:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

No Stuart

Just looking for any freinds i hear...... :shhh: ..There are some call lines set up now for xmas,just dial one of those and they will pretend to be your freind..

:lol: Are they the really expensive lines routed through Guam that are staffed by half naked ladies with sexual problems? I've seen them advertised in the back of Viz. Do you really think that they'll be my friends?

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Im surprised at Stuart T. The cost of borrowing has risen sharply under this faux-pas Consevative administration and to contribute to that is reckless adventurism and damaging to fiscal prudence.

On the bright side the cost of burrowing has declined dramatically since exempting moles from VAT.

It would also suggest you ain't got enough good records for a spot. Of course Im not suggesting that. Im just saying it could in certain circumstances unconnected to myself.

Bloody lawyers.

ROD

Are moles exempt from VAT? I thought that they'd simply been zero rated as an interim measure until they achieve fiscal parity with voles? Under this government I understand that the Rhodent Czar has achieved significant bottom up change through an holistic scheme of reinvestment for disadvantaged mammalian clients in proto urbanised areas. They're all on crack cocaine you know.

Faux Conservative has been rebranded as "Tory Lite". The difference between Tory and Nu Labour is that the first has a surfeit of English, rather than Scottish, ex-public schoolboys in the cabinet. Its a subtle but important difference. :shhh:

Social source share

Wrong thread for you Dave....Pitching up in the other topic :shhh: ...Go and tell them about your +5 stompers :lol: ...The board is alive and well today..Stuart on form after a call to Samaritans,Winnie just out of bed and gearing up now,Dave just back from Milking,its gonna be fun fun fun..

:yes:

I'm keeping away from that topic Steve, for fear of being struck down by Earnshaw the NS god. :lol::yes:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

As somewhat of a new man in this age of equality and diversity I'd go for large breasts every time.

ROD

Good - that makes me a fabulous dj then.... :lol::shhh::yes: Jo

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert