Sparsity of New 45 Releases

Lots of folk complain that there isn't the quality of decent new soul 45 releases these days … I'd agree ...

BUT things weren't always so great back in (even) the 60's … to illustrate this, here's a list of mag singles reviews from a 2/3 week period back in July 1966 … I'm sure you'll agree, there's not much of interest to us here … 

Cashbox45revsJuly66x.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

Sparsity of New 45 Releases?

I have to respectfully disagree on this one, we are going through a time of consistently good new 45 releases, especially if you have a broad taste in soul music

I agree with his B+ for Mill Evans

Interesting rating system!

Social source share

I also have to disagree, you can’t be looking too hard if you think new releases are a bit thin on the ground.  

I would imagine the review from 66 is also a tiny fraction of records released with plenty released at that time that were of interest to us. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

I'm still buying new releases from the US, taking a hit on the shipping cost, by the time some of them get released in Europe (if at all) they are quickly sold out, keep digging

Social source share

Shufflin

2 hours ago, shufflin said:

Sparsity of New 45 Releases?   I have to respectfully disagree on this one

Shufflin, I like modern soul & so think I'm more likely to appreciate more newer releases than a 'dyed in the wool' 60's fan … but if you actually believe that these days we regularly get up to 30 good new US soul 45's release per fortnight (the reviews above are for new US 45's in July 66), then I would have to take issue with you.

Social source share

51 minutes ago, the yank said:

I believe it's also what week you decided to pick from the 60's- Here's 4 quality "Northern" releases from the week of 3/26/66 -

The Reflections, Tammy Wayne, Lorraine Chandler and Tony Hestor - 

rw.jpg

You missed just about the best 2 soul 45's reviewed that week -- the Impressions & the Otis Clay.

Social source share

7 hours ago, the yank said:

I was just Including the "Northern" tracks. So I guess there were 6 great releases that week ! 

I'm a soul fan, not a NS fan … so I always include ALL the soul 45's that get released / reviewed. I did know what you meant BUT being a Yorkshireman, had to try to wind you up.

Social source share

I'm a Soul Fan (actually a Black Music fan verging on Music Fan), not a (northern) soul on vinyls fan. I buy a couple of dozen albums a month and discovered years ago that the Amazon basket (the worst company in the world but in a monopoly situation) will only hold 600 items, though I could always cheat it a bit. I've recently found out I can only cheat it by another 50 items meaning I have about 200 items on hand-written sheets. I'm not desperate for new stuff to arrive.

Social source share

' ...there isn't the quality of decent new soul 45 releases these days.' 

In the past couple of years Hayley Records - which has been in operation since 2000 and was not mentioned in an earlier post by Baz

Atkinson- has issued the following previously unreleased records:

HR 026 THE STYLISTS I need your loving (to satisfy my soul) b/w JOHNNY GRIFFITH BAND Operator please.

HR 025 TONY HESTER Keep a hold on me b/w PERFECTIONS Just can't leave you

HR 024 BOBBY SHEPPARD Surely b/w JIMMY GILFORD & JIMMY SCRUGGS Don't let me lose it

HR 023 JIMMY DELPHS The flip side b/w BAND TRACK Don't tell me maybe

HR 022  J.J.BARNES Lucille b/w J.J. BARNES & STEVE MANCHA You brought love to my life

HR 021 SHARON McMAHAN I have no choice b/w Life ain't worth living (without you)

HR 020 JIMMY DELPHS Where there is love b/w Our last goodbye

HR 019 DEON JACKSON Pain in my heart b/w I've got so much love

and there are many more. They are all TOP QUALITY sides.

Check www.hayleyrecords.co.uk for details. 

Edited by Rob Moss
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

21 hours ago, Roburt said:

BUT things weren't always so great back in (even) the 60's … to illustrate this, here's a list of mag singles reviews from a 2/3 week period back in July 1966 … I'm sure you'll agree, there's not much of interest to us here … 

Cashbox45revsJuly66x.jpg

You must be joking? There are three great all time classic records in that chart! And the Mill Evans is a double sider!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Don't you just love lazy afternoons at work where you can just youtube choons. Been through the Hayley list and, while there's nothing I'd have sold a granny for (and my grannies came cheap) there's nothing terrible either. Would have appreciated them more in the mid-seventies when I was always on the lookout for stuff nobody was playing. Some great singing, especially Gilford and Scruggs, Delphs, Mancha and of course JJ. I'll no doubt have to buy all the albums on payday.  

Social source share

1 hour ago, solidsoul said:

You must be joking? There are three great all time classic records in that chart! And the Mill Evans is a double sider!

Ever heard of sarcasm … lots of us Brits use it all the time. Mayfield Singers, Flamingos, Little Milton, Freddie Scott, Janet & the Jays + Jimmy Radcliffe are my faves. 

Social source share

Guest Shufflin

I'm not really sure what this thread is really about tbh but someone might shed some light on it eventually, ofc I might just be thick 🙂

Social source share

1 hour ago, Roburt said:

Ever heard of sarcasm … lots of us Brits use it all the time. Mayfield Singers, Flamingos, Little Milton, Freddie Scott, Janet & the Jays + Jimmy Radcliffe are my faves. 

People cannot see facial expressions so unless you use some sort of emoji others don't know what you are implying

• Up vote 2
Social source share

12 hours ago, chalky said:

People cannot see facial expressions so unless you use some sort of emoji others don't know what you are implying

Well I posted up a set of reviews that included 16 great soul 45's, so it was pretty obvious when I said there were no decent releases.

Social source share

Guest Spain pete
1 hour ago, Roburt said:

Well I posted up a set of reviews that included 16 great soul 45's, so it was pretty obvious when I said there were no decent releases.

😂😂🎶 And something for the MODERN camp baggers lavern  baker !

Edited by Spain pete
Social source share

18 hours ago, Rob Moss said:

' ...there isn't the quality of decent new soul 45 releases these days.' 

In the past couple of years Hayley Records - which has been in operation since 2000 and was not mentioned in an earlier post by Baz

Atkinson- has issued the following previously unreleased records:

HR 026 THE STYLISTS I need your loving (to satisfy my soul) b/w JOHNNY GRIFFITH BAND Operator please.

HR 025 TONY HESTER Keep a hold on me b/w PERFECTIONS Just can't leave you

HR 024 BOBBY SHEPPARD Surely b/w JIMMY GILFORD & JIMMY SCRUGGS Don't let me lose it

HR 023 JIMMY DELPHS The flip side b/w BAND TRACK Don't tell me maybe

HR 022  J.J.BARNES Lucille b/w J.J. BARNES & STEVE MANCHA You brought love to my life

HR 021 SHARON McMAHAN I have no choice b/w Life ain't worth living (without you)

HR 020 JIMMY DELPHS Where there is love b/w Our last goodbye

HR 019 DEON JACKSON Pain in my heart b/w I've got so much love

and there are many more. They are all TOP QUALITY sides.

Check www.hayleyrecords.co.uk for details. 

never given a thought to listening to these hayley 45s........so played all these above in one go,just like listening to an old sales tape youve found hidden away...........quality stuff indeed .........opened my eyes up to be sure............

• Up vote 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, Roburt said:

Ever heard of sarcasm … lots of us Brits use it all the time. 

That's why I said you must be joking!  You were a little too subtle, I wasn't sure which way you meant it!

Social source share

44 minutes ago, ezzie brown said:

never given a thought to listening to these hayley 45s........so played all these above in one go,just like listening to an old sales tape youve found hidden away...........quality stuff indeed .........opened my eyes up to be sure............

Some great tracks, but they should improve the look of the label. Looks very basic! That's what's knocked me off buying many of them! Or maybe it's just the name Hayley! The red, black and white Kent label looks about the best of the current labels!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

2 minutes ago, solidsoul said:

Some great tracks, but they should improve the look of the label. Looks very basic! That's what's knocked me off buying many of them! The red, black and white Kent label looks about the best of the current labels!

Surely its what's in the grooves that counts! to coin a phrase

• Up vote 1
Social source share

11 minutes ago, smudger said:

Surely its what's in the grooves that counts! to coin a phrase

If it was just "Whats in the groove that counts" I would just listen to everything on You Tube and not bother buying records!

When I flick through my record box I like it to look good, not a bit dull and uninteresting!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

As someone who has consistently purchased new releases all of my life I would have to say that we are spoilt at the minute and its difficult to keep up, but keep up I must, the limited runs of some of these sevens are making these the rareities of tomorrow, I have at least 15 that have surfaced in the past 5 years that will have there day on the Northern scene as it expands once again into playing new, recent and decent, all have disappeared.

I spend two hours daily searching and finding new releases, Im having a ball, and so should you.

Gouch

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!