Johnny Starr - Who was he ?

Seems a bit strange if they're all the same guy as he seemed to have links to New York, New England, Nashville & Detroit … quite a wide geographic spread there ...  his Stag 45 had Detroit links as did the others tracks released on Stag … 

There was a vocalist with the Midnight Movers who MAY have been the same guy (the group had started out touring as Wilson Pickett's backing band but then went out on their own with Johnny handling vocals for them). There was another (?) Johnny Starr that operated out of Nashville who was more of a country folk singer (& could well have been the same guy who had Starr Studios and cut stuff released on Johnny Starr Showland Studios label).

JohnnyStarr71.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

• 1 year later...

I knew a Johnny Arnold Starr who lived in Hartford Ct USA around 1975. Pretty sure he played music in NYC previous to that. Their is a picture of him with Jimi Hendrix, Curtiss Knight and Jimi's manager on the internet. He had a book that he would show people,with maybe the same picture. He joined a band I was in and taught my friends and I some cool stuff,  he would play all the parts so we could learn some real 'funk'.  After that he formed a band called, 'Johnny Starr and Friends'.  I did sound and moved equipment for him. The band lasted about a year and played around Connecticut USA. He was friends with Harold Sargent from the band 'Wood Brass and Steel. Doug Wimbish played bass in that band. Also Johnny (Johnni) recorded 'I done found myself' with the help of Harold Sargent who I think played drums on the track  As far as I  know he is deceased as is Harold Sargent.  He was a talented man, and a good band leader. 

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Joe the Shark said:

To see a picture of the Johnny Starr I knew, the Johnny from NYC/ Hartford, go to Early Hendrix .com or google, Jimi Hendrix, Curtiss Knight, Johnny Starr picture. He's on the left. 

DBD4CCB2-DE4E-4A82-9662-4B2BB282A021.jpeg.ecf971da60a8cbb2e04c744ed5a3d0ea.jpeg

he is on the right according to the text under the photo on the site, presuming it reads left to right.  There is a question mark too so the author doesn’t seem too sure. 

https://www.earlyhendrix.com/knight2-menu-pictures-1965studio

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

4 hours ago, Chalky said:

DBD4CCB2-DE4E-4A82-9662-4B2BB282A021.jpeg.ecf971da60a8cbb2e04c744ed5a3d0ea.jpeg

he is on the right according to the text under the photo on the site, presuming it reads left to right.  There is a question mark too so the author doesn’t seem too sure. 

https://www.earlyhendrix.com/knight2-menu-pictures-1965studio

That might be him. But the picture I was referring to looked like it was taken in a control room of a studio with a couple of white guys seated to the right. Johnny was on the left with a cigarette in his hand. I don't have the pic in front of me, but one of the white guys had a familar name associated with Jimi H, manager or engineer? I'm pretty sure it was taken before Jimi went to England. Wish I could be more sure of dates etc. When I knew Johnny I was in my early 20's and my head was smoking. I'm not good at moving images around the internet, but that picture was on the same site as the one that was just posted on Feb.1 2021. I do have a couple of personal photos of Johnny but it would take me a hour to figure out how to upload them, maybe someday. Cheers!

Social source share

5 hours ago, Joe the Shark said:

That might be him. But the picture I was referring to looked like it was taken in a control room of a studio with a couple of white guys seated to the right. Johnny was on the left with a cigarette in his hand. I don't have the pic in front of me, but one of the white guys had a familar name associated with Jimi H, manager or engineer? I'm pretty sure it was taken before Jimi went to England. Wish I could be more sure of dates etc. When I knew Johnny I was in my early 20's and my head was smoking. I'm not good at moving images around the internet, but that picture was on the same site as the one that was just posted on Feb.1 2021. I do have a couple of personal photos of Johnny but it would take me a hour to figure out how to upload them, maybe someday. Cheers!

B6234F21-ED26-49E6-92E0-7FFAA420C992.jpeg.2604a823694a034bc8493ff334d3cc12.jpeg

Johnny Starr?, Jimi Hendrix, Curtis Knight, Ed Chalpin, unknown

Social source share

There's the Johnny Starr that I knew in the mid 70's in Ct. USA on the left. He played a gold Les Paul, uasally wore a red jump suit. He loved being on stage and would lead the band with his eyes and body language. A fun guy and always took care of the roadies. He is missed. Im glad I could get some info about him on the internet. Perhaps others who knew him will find this thread and add more information. 

Social source share

On 02/02/2021 at 04:54, Chalky said:

B6234F21-ED26-49E6-92E0-7FFAA420C992.jpeg.2604a823694a034bc8493ff334d3cc12.jpeg

Johnny Starr?, Jimi Hendrix, Curtis Knight, Ed Chalpin, unknown

I don't think this is our man. This Johnny was Frankie Gearing's sister and played with Jimi backing Little Richard in his band. Previously when he was only 13, Jackie Wilson spotted him and got him playing in his band.

He passed in 2005

https://www.tampabay.com/archive/1997/10/08/concert-to-pay-tribute-to-musician-johnny-starr/

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!