Mexborough [who Remembers]

Guest Byrney

Can anyone remember Guy's site, his northern friends reunited type site? Someone put a load of photos on there from the likes of Mexborough and other venues of the time, anyone know who it was who had them?

Think it was called Looking for you - Northern Soul Chalky

Social source share

Think it was called Looking for you - Northern Soul Chalky

summat like that mate although I don't think it had the Chalky in it :thumbup::lol:. It is the photos I'm after or whoever posted them, I think it was a female who put them up there but can't remember her name.

Social source share

Guest Derek White

Brickyard club made the transition for me from "youth club" records to proper northern soul.

I even helped run it for a while.

Thought about this thread today while driving around south yorks and north notts, and have to say that Mexborough has punched far above it's weight as a small town hosting NS venues.

Long may it continue.

Cheers,

Derek.

Social source share

Guest Derek White

me, our bri & steve mank ran a monthly do thruout 1994 at the royal electric theatre. initially very sucessful but again we had trouble with finishing times ( they wanted us out for midnight) so after the november one we knocked it on the head. also had a go at running the empress in the90`s with varying degrees of sucess

dave

Hey up Dave.

Those early nights at the royal electric were great

Cheers,

Derek.

Social source share

Brilliant thread!

Happy days of Swinton and Mexborough!!

Me n Mick Scott of Doncaster used to go all over, Canklow, Doncaster Catholic Club, and Swinton Civic, Bottom Club at Swinton for some mega soul nights!

Here is me n Edwin, he was the last ever star to play at Mexborough and not may turned up! It was a disaster!! He was heckled by some local trollops so he insisted on singing unaccompanied!

EDWINMEX.JPG

I met my wife in Swinton, the mad mile was tops on a Sunday and I have so many fond soulful memories of the Manor.

Whispering Bob, Stuttering Stu, Bub (RIP), tony, Sanch, Averill, too many to mention and always glad to see them when I come home to visit from the yon side of Barnsley.

Love the people, Rotherham's got soul, Donny, in fact there is a Soul mine under this area!!!!!

Complete noncense about the people being ruff, they are honest and modest, they don't like wingers waffelers and wankers! Salt of the earth!

Social source share

Guest Derek White

Hey up Simon.

I still live in Swinton, the mile isn't what it used to be, sad really, used to be chaos between the bridges on Sun night.

The night someone ripped the "C" from the Canal Bar sign was a classic,

Happy days, Cheers.

Derek.

Social source share

l only went to one l think and l think it was at The Town Hall....What l do rememember though was that they sold 'Jublies' (Frozen Calypsos) ........try putting them back into the holder when you've some 'Back Street Blueys!!' laugh.gif:lol:

It is more likely to have been The Civic Hall Phil , which has staged many a soul night down the years ( I ran several of them in the mid 70s and early 80s ) .

I never sold " Jubblies " at any of them :lol:

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

The next time I go to Mexborough , I will ask about a Town Hall : more likely to be told there is F**k Hall laugh.gif .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

When i was running The Corner Pocket several years ago , I pulled up one Saturday night to go in and set up ( 7 PM ) , to find two heavily wazzed up youths engaged in kicking / punching seven colours of sh*t out of each other in the doorway .

As i cautiously approached , they stopped and apologised to me , allowing me to pass ........ as soon as I had done so , they started again :laugh:

Malc Burton

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I just knew Derek Trotter was based on someone.

Were they wearing ski masks Malc?

Social source share

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I just knew Derek Trotter was based on someone.

Were they wearing ski masks Malc?

When I was running a regular monthly night at The Civic Hall in Mexborough in 1979 , the local piss heads would attempt to get in after the pubs in the town had closed .

First . let me set the scene . The entrance / door of the CH is situated mid way down a long flight of steps , going from the road at the top down to the main road at the bottom .

Lady B used to sit on the door , and on one occasion had to refuse entry to two knobs who were worse for wear . they started mouthing at her , demanding to come in .

She stood her ground , and told them calmly " look - you have a choice . You can either go out the doors and up the steps on your own , or be taken out through them and thrown down the steps . Make up your minds what "

They looked at her , turned and went without saying a word ...... and the people inside gave her a round of applause :laugh: .

The moral to this story is always marry a Yorkshire lass : they are pretty , cook well and are a damn good bouncer ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

When I was running a regular monthly night at The Civic Hall in Mexborough in 1979 , the local piss heads would attempt to get in after the pubs in the town had closed .

First . let me set the scene . The entrance / door of the CH is situated mid way down a long flight of steps , going from the road at the top down to the main road at the bottom .

Lady B used to sit on the door , and on one occasion had to refuse entry to two knobs who were worse for wear . they started mouthing at her , demanding to come in .

She stood her ground , and told them calmly " look - you have a choice . You can either go out the doors and up the steps on your own , or be taken out through them and thrown down the steps . Make up your minds what "

They looked at her , turned and went without saying a word ...... and the people inside gave her a round of applause :laugh: .

The moral to this story is always marry a Yorkshire lass : they are pretty , cook well and are a damn good bouncer ......

Malc Burton

'kin hell Malc, bet they're ain't many arguements in your house.

You just carry on doin' as yer told mate :laugh:

Social source share

'kin hell Malc, bet they're ain't many arguements in your house.

You just carry on doin' as yer told mate :laugh:

Never a truer word said Dave .

She always told if I did her any wrong , she would wait until I wasasleep , and caress my head with a milk bottle .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

any more pics seems amazing that there does not seem to be any -is it because we were all hiding ??? lol.

BAZ A

some one has plenty Baz, they used to be on Guy's site. But now that is no longer dunno where they are that's why I asked if anyone can remember who put them on Guy's site.

Social source share

Hey up Simon.

I still live in Swinton, the mile isn't what it used to be, sad really, used to be chaos between the bridges on Sun night.

Happy days, Cheers.

Derek.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

Hey up Simon.

Happy days, Cheers.

Derek.

I once attempted a regular Tuesday night at the Canal Tavern ( 1973 I think ) .

On the first night , they started fighting at 8.30 PM , and the place was closed by 9.00 PM .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I once attempted a regular Tuesday night at the Canal Tavern ( 1973 I think ) .

On the first night , they started fighting at 8.30 PM , and the place was closed by 9.00 PM .

Malc Burton

And that was the soul fans laugh.gif

Social source share

Oh No please don't put on the back burner for the future!! :tumbleweed3::sleep3::sleep3:

Anyway definetly Mexbro

AND definetly JUBLIES!! :tumbleweed3:

I promise :)

I have a feeling that it was the Soultown ( Guy Hennigan ) all nighters at The Empress that you went to Phil .

The selling of Jubblies would not have been unusual , as the manager of The Empress at the time - Tony Tarber - was not averse to trying " new lines " to bring in money .

A couple of years before Guy , Bill Payne ans and I ran all - nighters there ( 1980 ) , and we went in one day to arrange for the next set of dates . While we we talking , Tony produced a box of cashmere socks , and told us he was going to sell them , tellling us that " they are lovely on your feet when you are ballroom dancing "

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Yes Baz... fantastic niters for sure!

I'm like Byrney... only things i can remember about the place are you, Gaz Simon and Kev Cane... incredible music... oh.. and Pete Lawson on all fours... but with his knees straight... trying to sneak in without paying...

.... and whoever it was taking the money just sitting there... watching his arse going passed the counter... laugh.gif

Yes indeedy Joan, Guy Heinekens nights at Mexboro, to my memory the best venue, socially and musically that I have been.

Kev

Social source share

Which venue ?????????????

a few mentioned on this thread ???laugh.gif

Earliest I remember going to was the Catholic club, but earliest I was aware of was the Jesters up near the Grammar.

Heard lots of stories about it being good before it closed. Anybody on hear ever go?

Also went to many a good northern night across the road at Swinton Civic.

Ed

Social source share

Earliest I remember going to was the Catholic club, but earliest I was aware of was the Jesters up near the Grammar.

Heard lots of stories about it being good before it closed. Anybody on hear ever go?

Also went to many a good northern night across the road at Swinton Civic.

Ed

Hi eddie, are your ears burnin, was talking about you the other night to a soul chum.

All the best Ado.

Social source share

Guest 1STFRIEARL

I promise whistling.gif

I have a feeling that it was the Soultown ( Guy Hennigan ) all nighters at The Empress that you went to Phil .

The selling of Jubblies would not have been unusual , as the manager of The Empress at the time - Tony Tarber - was not averse to trying " new lines " to bring in money .

A couple of years before Guy , Bill Payne ans and I ran all - nighters there ( 1980 ) , and we went in one day to arrange for the next set of dates . While we we talking , Tony produced a box of cashmere socks , and told us he was going to sell them , tellling us that " they are lovely on your feet when you are ballroom dancing "

Malc Burton

Still got my membership card from when you ran the niters malc. Once watched a fight on the top of the steps next to the cash desk that was john hanley, gordon trow, Scotch, fighting with a few young mexborough soulies still on the scene today.

As you no malc the empress is still going run by myself recently had dave evison on who spoke fond memories. Kev Cane, Gaz Simon, Col Denham all due back as dj's soon.

Next nite is the 24th april with brian rae, Col Denham, Gas Simon, Dave & Bri Pinches, John Durant.

Mexborough has moved on from the battle ground it was. Pubs are dead most nites if open at all. And a somerfields has been built straight across on the derilect land that was there in the late 70's and 80's.

Blink, yogi, and me ran the Athletic club in the late 90,s with some brill nites sweat hanging in the air, we broke the club record for takin's on bubs 45th birthday this was the last time he ever djed, He was that wrecked me and blink had to push him on stage.

Be nice to see you malc

John

Social source share

Still got my membership card from when you ran the niters malc. Once watched a fight on the top of the steps next to the cash desk that was john hanley, gordon trow, Scotch, fighting with a few young mexborough soulies still on the scene today.

As you no malc the empress is still going run by myself recently had dave evison on who spoke fond memories. Kev Cane, Gaz Simon, Col Denham all due back as dj's soon.

Next nite is the 24th april with brian rae, Col Denham, Gas Simon, Dave & Bri Pinches, John Durant.

Mexborough has moved on from the battle ground it was. Pubs are dead most nites if open at all. And a somerfields has been built straight across on the derilect land that was there in the late 70's and 80's.

Blink, yogi, and me ran the Athletic club in the late 90,s with some brill nites sweat hanging in the air, we broke the club record for takin's on bubs 45th birthday this was the last time he ever djed, He was that wrecked me and blink had to push him on stage.

Be nice to see you malc

John

I remember that night well John .

I was in early doors , and David ( Bub ) had already had several drinks . He greeted me with his usual " get thi hand in thi pocket Burton " , and told me that he was on a mission to get heavily pissed ...... and he did :lol:

I have sympathy with you and Blink getting him on stage . I once took him home in a similar state ( not as bad as he was at The Athletic ) from The Londoner , and it was a battle for his dad and me to get him up the stairs :no: .......

I am unable to get to the next Empress , but will attempt to make the one after : what date is it ?

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

By the way, Mexborough still hosts two good venues, The Corner Pocket (majestic suite) next one 2nd may,

Empress ballroom, next one 24th april, both cracking venuesthumbsup.gif

All we need is The Athletic and The Civic Hall to start up , and we could have world domination :D

Malc Burton

Social source share

I'll leave it in your very capable hands Malc,thumbsup.gif

I have considered doing a one - off " Disc A Go - Go " Reunion at The Civic for over seven years Tony , but the main stumbling block is getting Gary Cooper - the original DAGG DJ - to do it , but he keeps declining .

Other than that ever coming off , I will never promote in Mexborough again : the people who are doing it now with / at The Empress and The Corner Pocket are doing a sterling job , and long may it continue .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest MickD

Hi guys, feel I must add my take on Mexborough and to dispel the myths that for me did not exist. I was working in Mexborough with The South Yorkshire Times and were some of the happiest times I spent on the soul scene. I was a regular at Jesters and the Brickyard and those times for me hold a special place in my heart. To say the locals were a bit rough is a gross injustice as coming from Glasgow I was used to some dodgy places. But I will hear none of the comments as regards the people I met when living down there as they made me very welcome and made my stay down there a pleasure. I even had a couple of spots in Jesters at the top of the hill. It was a great venue and the Brickyard was equally just as good for the sounds and the company. And to make things even better it was only round the corner from where I stayed. Spent many a hour in the company of my workmates in The Boy and Barrell. Yes fond memories indeed and ones that I will never forget.

fdsoul6345789

How refreshing your comments are, as Mexbrough along with many other towns in the locale (my locale) are very often (in my humble opinion) too harshly portrayed. The collective essence of the scene was 'moving around', going to cities, towns even villages where 'thee music' was there to be had and of course this was totally new and at times 'scary' (albeit there were certain pharmacutical contributors to that). In the main though, my personal reflection now is irrespective of venue there was always a warm collective in the venues and those outside the scene were very often merely intrigued but not overtly hostile. The image of South Yorkshire men dragging their bloodied fists along the floor behind them seeking out victims is a myth that has to be dispelled or at least put in perspective. I remember queing outside Samantha's in Sheffield as the night club revellers spilled out and some of them reasonably asking; 'where you lot going then?' 'What no ale, are yah mad or what?' But that was it and it was at times quite funny to see one or two couples going back into the nighter and enjoying 'in their own way' the dance floor and the music with no hostility from either side. I'm of the firm opinion that the NS scene can very rightly boast as being one of the least troublesome movements of all time in this country, both for those on the scene and those in view and aside of it.

Social source share

How refreshing your comments are, as Mexbrough along with many other towns in the locale (my locale) are very often (in my humble opinion) too harshly portrayed. The collective essence of the scene was 'moving around', going to cities, towns even villages where 'thee music' was there to be had and of course this was totally new and at times 'scary' (albeit there were certain pharmacutical contributors to that). In the main though, my personal reflection now is irrespective of venue there was always a warm collective in the venues and those outside the scene were very often merely intrigued but not overtly hostile. The image of South Yorkshire men dragging their bloodied fists along the floor behind them seeking out victims is a myth that has to be dispelled or at least put in perspective. I remember queing outside Samantha's in Sheffield as the night club revellers spilled out and some of them reasonably asking; 'where you lot going then?' 'What no ale, are yah mad or what?' But that was it and it was at times quite funny to see one or two couples going back into the nighter and enjoying 'in their own way' the dance floor and the music with no hostility from either side. I'm of the firm opinion that the NS scene can very rightly boast as being one of the least troublesome movements of all time in this country, both for those on the scene and those in view and aside of it.

Nicely - and very well - put Mick .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Thanks for that MickD just had to get my point across that along with my own breed of Scots the people of Yorkshire are the salt of the earth as far as I am concerned and I will never waver from that opinion. I believe we have a common bond in the way we see life and know instinctively when someone is an all-round good person and treats them as such.

respect Fraser.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest son of stan

as we were queuing to get in, the locals were talking about a spate of murders of elderly women in gruesome detail, really depressing. . rolleyes.gif

I remember that! Horrible. Also travelled up from London on the train that night. (Sorry for the rather belated reply.....)

I used to love Guy's Mexborough All Niters.

Random memories.. Bought Joan Baker "Everybody's Talkin'" off George Sharp first time I went (£80 - funny how you remember stuff like that). Buying a copy of "Independent Woman" for 20 quid and then having paranoia attacks all night that it wasn't a proper one (it was - still got it). Buying the Natural Four on Boola Boola for a similar amount the being gutted when I got home and realised it wasn't the same as the one on abc (actually I'm still gutted about that)...

Lorraine Rudolph "Keep Coming Back For More" is a record I'll always associate with there.

Also, one time when I actually got a cab there with someone all the way from one of the early Blackpool soul weekenders to attend. Greeted at the door by Guy who uttered the immortal words, "There's not many in tonight.." There must have been about 30 or so in attendance...

Happy days indeed. 60s newies!

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Cheers Chalky, just found out how slow my computer is now opening those pages to veiw.laugh.gif

don't think it's your PC, the scans are each over 2meg, I should have reduced them but our lass is tapping her feet waiting for me to take her out after me being out all weekend :thumbsup::no:

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!