Tape swappers

Anybody still do this?

I used to send out tapes and then cds up until about 1990 and then stopped.

Last one I received was an alt version mix of big tunes by lesser known versions.

Obviously today, you could just send a list or even a link, and probably most folks could YouTube the tracks themselves.

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Tapes went to cds

CDs went to CDR mp3s

Cdrs went to DVDs of mp3

Then it went to flash drives and then to dropbox files

People tend to make their own podcasts these days or just send a virtual playlist with YouTube or other links I have found or just live streaming on Facebook 

Social source share

Mixcloud is, in many respects, the modern day equivalent of tape swapping.

And where once upon a time the audience for your selection was limited by the number of tapes you recorded, posting a mix online can attract a much bigger audience - although looking at the number of listens of some of my mixes, that isn't always true. :lol:

Social source share

Yes, I still make them. Always have done, and intend to long into the future. Records bought on trips to the USA and compilations of recent purchases are recorded when there’s a decent quota to fit on a C90 tape. The tape-to-tape machine is long gone, so it’s not possible to duplicate tapes for swaps. The CD’s made on the double-CD machine did not last long before they started skipping. Taping records is way better than making CD’s, especially if you have a decent player. Great to see a recent surge of interest in buying cassette tapes to make  DIY compilations; just like the resurgence of new vinyl, it’s good to see the tried and tasted old formats still proving their worth.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!