Four Voices

Go to solution Solved by Mrmick,

I bought a Soulettes about 18 months ago for 1200 having bought one that had a warp like a roller coaster in 1988 for 100. The Professionals is between 3/5 k.. I got a telling of when I bought mine of George Sharp in 1989 as I paid 30 quid  more than the 90 it had always sold for 😂

Edited by Ted Massey
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Ted Massey said:

I bought a Soulettes about 18 months ago for 1200 having bought one that had a warp like a roller coaster in 1988 for 100. The Professionals is between 3/5 k.. I got a telling of when I bought mine of George Sharp in 1989 as I paid 30 quid  more than the 90 it had always sold for 😂

If the soulettes is in good nick Ted,i think £1200 is great price considering its rarity. Chris. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Ted Massey said:

Professionals, brilliant😂😂 you definitely got stung at £120!! My absolute favourite record ever, it has everything!!.......Rob

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Soulettes has always been rare but the prices it has sold for have never matched the rarity.  Neither has it ever really taken off with the dance floor.

I wouldn't have thought Four Voices is in the same league as Gwen Owens rarity wise?

I agree with you on both chalky,but i haven't seen four voices up for sale for a while and was just wondering what it may now sell for. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Wheelsville1 said:

I agree with you on both chalky,but i haven't seen four voices up for sale for a while and was just wondering what it may now sell for. 

Hi Chalky, didn't realise the Soulettes was so rare. Got to agree about the dance floor reaction. Last time I played it, think Mojacar 2019, it was probably the least danced to. Four Voices filled the floor though!

Happy belated birthday by the way.

Julian and Carolyn xx

Social source share

2 hours ago, Julianb said:

Hi Chalky, didn't realise the Soulettes was so rare. Got to agree about the dance floor reaction. Last time I played it, think Mojacar 2019, it was probably the least danced to. Four Voices filled the floor though!

Happy belated birthday by the way.

Julian and Carolyn xx

Hello mate.  Hope you are both well?  Thanks for the BD wishes.

Yes Soulettes always dance floor death which is a shame as it is a good record.  Four Voices is quality and a keeper, probably why you never see it for sale.

Social source share

It was one of my mates favourite records and he always danced to it on the rare occasions we heard it and I can't remember many others on the dancefloor. It does have a fast awkward beat with strings, sounds like a lot going on. Good record though. Scary thought, it was probably 25 years ago that I last saw my mate dance to it, cheers

Social source share

I'ts great reflecting on these topics. Back in the early eightees John Anderson had both Four Voices 45's on his front page 'Ghetto' was £4 and  'Love is getting stronger' i'm pretty sure was £8 certainly no more than £15. I purchased both but quized John regarding the price difference! Dispite the the later title having a more complex arrangement compared to most of the uptempo Detriot bangers being played at the time I always found it a really soulfull record, the flip was nice too.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

24 minutes ago, Still Diggin said:

I'ts great reflecting on these topics. Back in the early eightees John Anderson had both Four Voices 45's on his front page 'Ghetto' was £4 and  'Love is getting stronger' i'm pretty sure was £8 certainly no more than £15. I purchased both but quized John regarding the price difference! Dispite the the later title having a more complex arrangement compared to most of the uptempo Detriot bangers being played at the time I always found it a really soulfull record, the flip was nice too.

Its got to be one of the best male group double siders, I bought my copy off Andy Dyson several years ago,he had 2 copies,Mick H got the other. 

Social source share

I bought the Four Voices of Dim Dave (remember him) when he sold up in 1990 me and Carl Fortnum were bidding on it I got it in the end for 150. On the same list Tony Parker won the Montclair’s Hey girl for I thought 15 quid but he says more I think 

Edited by Ted Massey
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

22 hours ago, Mick Boyle said:

Professionals - just flip it over and enjoy. 

Its the same (exactly) as steve mancha-did my baby call? I wonder why it ended up on the bside of the professionals?  Its not even the same label! Was steve mancha in the group i wonder?

Social source share

Also i agree that soulettes and four voices are equally as rare as each other,and both are top quality tunes,but the four voices is a much bigger seller and has much more dance floor appeal! Soulettes id image being in the 1500 quid mark and four voices in 2.5/3k mark!

Social source share

1 minute ago, Dobber said:

Its the same (exactly) as steve mancha-did my baby call? I wonder why it ended up on the bside of the professionals?  Its not even the same label! Was steve mancha in the group i wonder?

2 minutes ago, Dobber said:

This topic has been covered several times,this is another take by Steve Mancha.He was never a member of the Proffesionals,Don Davis the label owner didn't have another song for the flip side so he used this. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

45 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Also i agree that soulettes and four voices are equally as rare as each other,and both are top quality tunes,but the four voices is a much bigger seller and has much more dance floor appeal! Soulettes id image being in the 1500 quid mark and four voices in 2.5/3k mark!

I've seem more Four Voices than Soulettes over the years, I would say Soulettes is far rarer just not as desirable for the Djs and dancefloor, if it was it would be just as expensive

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 24/10/2021 at 15:42, Dobber said:

and the four voices in 2.5/3k mark!

A long time ago when things were different, I was offered a Four Voices for £5. I regret I didn't take it because it had a few marks on it!    Back in the day, you never knew what was going to prove rare, or turn up in quantity.

Edited by D9 Ktf
Social source share

brought our last 4 voices and soulettes back from detroit  around 2000/2001.both brilliant double headers .and reasonably rare.i still like chuck holiday as not played to death as much .professionals ...now your talking i,ll never forget  when my pal came back from detroit with 3 copies amongst  a fabulous haul...professionals is at least 5/6k tune .think i,m on my 2nd but lovely mint copy.i know its sold easy for 5k twice within last 18months...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Soulettes - probably the worst deal I've ever done - did a trade for it with Tim Ashibende at Bretby back in the mid 90's - must of been 1500 £'s worth - including a Lonnie Russ - Soulettes was stone mint but I could never get any action on it when dj'ing and relegated it to the sale box fairly quickly  and can't remember where it finished up.

Professionals a different story - 1st copy in late summer /early autumn 72 - got in a trade in Selectadisc  - Arkwright St cellar - Nottingham - Not even sure what the catalyst for the deal was but they were desperate to get my Vel-vets which like the Soulettes decades later was at the time a dance floor failure - Too fast even for that time and almost unknown. I Didn't want any cash so asked what they had for swaps - out came a small pile of 45's - including a Professionals - I'd no idea what was to come out of that giant base speaker a few seconds later - hairs on the back of the neck moment - play it again!! - what's the deal on this then - @How does £12 + Professionals sound - I said I didn't have a spare £12 - it was 72 remember and I was on £12.50 a week then. - No I'll give you £12 and the Professionals in the trade - er OK. Always a monster for me from that week onwards. Always in my box at the Torch. Sold it to JM in 1984.

2nd copy - Steve Kennedy when he sold up in the early 90's - £500 - That's another story with all the others he was forced to sell.

Wish I still had one

'

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Vadnochka said:

Soulettes - probably the worst deal I've ever done - did a trade for it with Tim Ashibende at Bretby back in the mid 90's - must of been 1500 £'s worth - including a Lonnie Russ - Soulettes was stone mint but I could never get any action on it when dj'ing and relegated it to the sale box fairly quickly  and can't remember where it finished up.

Professionals a different story - 1st copy in late summer /early autumn 72 - got in a trade in Selectadisc  - Arkwright St cellar - Nottingham - Not even sure what the catalyst for the deal was but they were desperate to get my Vel-vets which like the Soulettes decades later was at the time a dance floor failure - Too fast even for that time and almost unknown. I Didn't want any cash so asked what they had for swaps - out came a small pile of 45's - including a Professionals - I'd no idea what was to come out of that giant base speaker a few seconds later - hairs on the back of the neck moment - play it again!! - what's the deal on this then - @How does £12 + Professionals sound - I said I didn't have a spare £12 - it was 72 remember and I was on £12.50 a week then. - No I'll give you £12 and the Professionals in the trade - er OK. Always a monster for me from that week onwards. Always in my box at the Torch. Sold it to JM in 1984.

2nd copy - Steve Kennedy when he sold up in the early 90's - £500 - That's another story with all the others he was forced to sell.

Wish I still had one

'

Hi Steve,i was the first person to pay over 1k for the profesionals when i got it of J.Manship several years ago,i paid £1,100 for it. I well and truely got my balls chewed off at the time for hiking up the price. I dont understand why people dont play the flipside of the soulettes,its much slower and a great side. Chris. 

Social source share

5 hours ago, Wheelsville1 said:

I dont understand why people dont play the flipside of the soulettes,its much slower and a great side. Chris. 

Just played it via youtube vid, didn't know it before. You're spot on. great flip side. I can imagine the lowrider collectors going mad for it if they haven't done already.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

It’s all a bit hypothetical as John Manship doesn’t have copies of the Four Voices or the Soulettes currently up for auction...

Don’t forget, the Four Voices has two very good sides, with some people possibly preferring ‘With A Lonely Heart’. Records with two sides should really command bigger price tickets at auction.

For the record, I won my Four Voices in one of John’s auctions a long time ago. It was a top-all-bids offer that cost £1,200. My Professionals cost $3. A second Professionals cost $100 but went in a cash/trades deal that netted the Silhouettes on Good Time.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!