John Manship grading

Psamsara

Hello all,

I have not bought from JM that often, I have only won 2 auctions once in the past.
I am satisfied, but am not overly excited either.
One copy was M- and the other was the pre-Christmas "Manship-Mint".
The M- copy is a VG++ for me and the Manship Mint was now also not quite clean, also between M- and VG++.

But it is my personal opinion.

I see things quite differently with another main dealer who often buys beautiful and rare records from large US dealers and constantly upgrades them by at least one grade. That is not possible. That's why I know that if I were to buy a VG+ copy there (which can be quite pleasant under normal circumstances) I would get a G copy.
Too bad

Z

• Up vote 2
Social source share

All grading of records can be hit or miss. Some things are ok for some, but not for others. 

I did win an expensive record on John Manships auction and it is beautiful mint condition, I think it must one of the best condition copies in existence.

I don't mind certain faults, but others I can't put into the collection. These are usually for Ex gradings. Mint- for a very small imperfection.

But if it's stated as Mint it should look as good as the day it was made!

Edited by D9 Ktf
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 13/03/2022 at 17:23, Zanetti said:

Hello all,

I have not bought from JM that often, I have only won 2 auctions once in the past.
I am satisfied, but am not overly excited either.
One copy was M- and the other was the pre-Christmas "Manship-Mint".
The M- copy is a VG++ for me and the Manship Mint was now also not quite clean, also between M- and VG++.

But it is my personal opinion.

I see things quite differently with another main dealer who often buys beautiful and rare records from large US dealers and constantly upgrades them by at least one grade. That is not possible. That's why I know that if I were to buy a VG+ copy there (which can be quite pleasant under normal circumstances) I would get a G copy.
Too bad

Z

Generally US and UK grade differently, and usually there is one grade difference, with the US grading lower - but better - if you get what I mean. So as an example the US may state VG, whereas UK might say Ex. The US guys, particularly the big dealers don't use Ex, that seems to be a UK grade, but in fairness some have started using it recently. 

So if I buy from the US I think that G would be UK VG, US VG would be UK Ex and so on. There have been the odd exception where a US grade has been the equivalent UK grade, but these situations are few and far between.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

Generally US and UK grade differently, and usually there is one grade difference, with the US grading lower - but better - if you get what I mean. So as an example the US may state VG, whereas UK might say Ex. The US guys, particularly the big dealers don't use Ex, that seems to be a UK grade, but in fairness some have started using it recently. 

So if I buy from the US I think that G would be UK VG, US VG would be UK Ex and so on. There have been the odd exception where a US grade has been the equivalent UK grade, but these situations are few and far between.

Thank you for your input, of course I am aware of that. I don't think any person here on this forum struggles with that knowledge gap. I'm just referring to a too strong upgrading of the actual grading.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Not commenting on JM grading and this dispute either..

But can we please agree to not disclose personal data without affected people's permission on here? In my view, this is absolutely inappropriate.. could be just me but I think this is a basic rule of respectful togetherness on a board like this (and in general). Thanks!

• Up vote 2
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Midnight Drifter said:

Not commenting on JM grading and this dispute either..

But can we please agree to not disclose personal data without affected people's permission on here? In my view, this is absolutely inappropriate.. could be just me but I think this is a basic rule of respectful togetherness on a board like this (and in general). Thanks!

But to anonymously smear a business is OK?  Works both ways I think.  

Social source share

4 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Thank you for your input, of course I am aware of that. I don't think any person here on this forum struggles with that knowledge gap. I'm just referring to a too strong upgrading of the actual grading.

But you seem not to be....

"I see things quite differently with another main dealer who often buys beautiful and rare records from large US dealers and constantly upgrades them by at least one grade. That is not possible".

I think I explained why is is possible to upgrade by one grade.

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

But you seem not to be....

"I see things quite differently with another main dealer who often buys beautiful and rare records from large US dealers and constantly upgrades them by at least one grade. That is not possible".

I think I explained why is is possible to upgrade by one grade.

... not if you go from G to VG+ ... there are a few more levels in between :hatsoff2:

Social source share

1 hour ago, Theresa said:

2 hours ago, Psamsara said:

Ok enough is enough

At first the topic seemed to be about a member asking others members their views of a dealers grading

However as we now have gone down the road of talking about a past dispute on a third party sales site, it's time to call a halt

Am not sure why the posting up of lengthy details of this one past dispute or indeed the personal details/records of customers was felt needed or acceptable.

I suggest that these are edited out by both parties asp

Can't see anything to be gained by leaving this topic open, so will close it shortly, ideally after both members have made the requested edits.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Source said:

Ok enough is enough

At first the topic seemed to be about a member asking others members their views of a dealers grading

However as we now have gone down the road of talking about a past dispute on a third party sales site, it's time to call a halt

Am not sure why the posting up of lengthy details of this one past dispute or indeed the personal details/records of customers was felt needed or acceptable.

I suggest that these are edited out by both parties asp

Can't see anything to be gained by leaving this topic open, so will close it shortly, ideally after both members have made the requested edits.

What do you want me to edit out?

Social source share

9 minutes ago, Psamsara said:

What do you want me to edit out?

your posts concerning disputes on other website

the topic was about a dealers grading not some past dispute on another site

12 minutes ago, Psamsara said:

post dropped, if you wish to discuss other website dealing disputes via this site, then do it via pms

Social source share

It's an odd thing grading and since I've only really collected seriously since 2020 it's also been a steep learning curve.

Those dealers who I can rely on to supply decent properly graded records in a timely fashion, packed properly and at a fair price get my repeat, repeat & repeat again business -they know who they are!

I'd probably say JM and silver fox are at the very top of my 'sigh of relief' score board when I see they have what I want.

They won't be the cheapest, but they'll tick every other box.

NB: I'm ignoring the complaint within this thread as I have nothing to add or comment on it apart from to say the thread asked about JM grading and these are my views.

Edited by Timbo58
Social source share

ok looks like no edits from either member...

so 3 posts involving trading disputes on other sites and containing personal trading details have been dropped

quite why you both felt that this was the place to post such is beyond me and have to say not welcome at all

topic closed

Social source share