Double O's Demingo - Color One Tear Black

Nigeljag
Go to solution Solved by Chalky,

Very happy to be proved wrong as I would love to learn that there was enough material for an LP, maybe lurking unreleased somwhere, but I searched several years ago and asked around at Soul Essence in Yarmouth where I first heard it played out, found nothing unfortunately…what an album that could’ve been!

The wonderful 45 like no other both sides has been reissued this week on Symphonical Records, so maybe we’re in for a treat if they managed to find the LP 🤞🏻

Meanwhile the reissue was waiting on my doormat when back from work today, which I’m quite happy about having regrettably sold mine a few years back…the release sounds amazing compared to the beat up copy I had! 😆

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

I'm not too surprised at that price, since it's a much better record IMO than "1000 Tears Too Late" / "The Crawl" which has been sold a number of times on eBay and itself fetches quite a bit of money. Curious whether "Color One Tear Black" is really so much rarer, or whether it's just that no one is willing to sell.

Social source share

18 hours ago, Ephraim said:

I'm not too surprised at that price, since it's a much better record IMO than "1000 Tears Too Late" / "The Crawl" which has been sold a number of times on eBay and itself fetches quite a bit of money. Curious whether "Color One Tear Black" is really so much rarer, or whether it's just that no one is willing to sell.

"A Thousand Tears Too Late" is rarer, but not by much I guess. It may look like several different copies have sold on ebay, but the ones that sold in 2010 for $226, the one in 2017 for $1136 and the one in 2022 for $1375 were all the same copy changing hands.

The reason "Color One Tear Black" goes for more is because it's better and more in-demand.

Edited by Sebastian
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, Scotters said:

I kept and also still love the early 80’s version by Billy Peterson Jr with the female backing (also on Split)…just noticed that 45 also quotes taken from an album ‘Hitman’, but again no knowledge of such LP.

Hadn't heard of that - thanks Scotters!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, Sebastian said:

"A Thousand Tears Too Late" is rarer, but not by much I guess. It may look like several different copies have sold on ebay, but the ones that sold in 2010 for $226, the one in 2017 for $1136 and the one in 2022 for $1375 were all the same copy changing hands.

Oh, good observation. I'm also curious how many stock copies are out there... I own the one sold in 2014 but haven't seen any others.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Nigeljag said:

All produced & Arranged by Bill Smith, would this be the same Major Bill Smith the owner of Le Cam Records?

Le Cam was Fort Worth, Texas, Split was Ohio, not saying they aren't the same Bill Smith, but I think it makes it seem unlikely 

Kev 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Bill/William Smith is one of the group members as far as I can ascertain.  Nothing to do with Major Bill.  Both James Bowens and Bill Smith were part of James Bowens and His Agents who did the storming northern side Baby I Want You

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!