JMAuction - 02/11/2022 - Results!

Zanetti

Betty Wilson is a great tune to these ears but over a grand in not great vinyl condition (definitely a dj record to play out) seems a lot? Don't get me wrong, I'm well out of collecting now so will stand corrected by you lot with your finger on the pulse!!! Thank you...Rob

Edited by Lionelonthevinyl
Social source share

Kim Weston madness !!! Minimum 3 or 4 times today's commanding price. Rare it is. But not withdrawned I believe. More likely not pushed or properly promoted. For what is one must admit not her 'highlight' tune. Far from it even. And as for "rarity" matters involving 3 USA pressing plants for the yellow stocker copies and at least one white label promo. Few copies out there with drill hole/cut to attest the not "withdrawn" theory... Still a Tamla completist collector high ranker. But I'd have thought that by now most would have their copy home...

Social source share

1 hour ago, Tlscapital said:

Kim Weston madness !!! Minimum 3 or 4 times today's commanding price. Rare it is. But not withdrawned I believe.

The well researched liner notes to "The Complete Motown Singles Volume 4- 1964" calls the Kim Weston single "withdrawn" while the Don't Forget The Motor City web site says the single was "released in Europe only". 

Edited by The Yank
Social source share

1 hour ago, The Yank said:

The well researched liner notes to "The Complete Motown Singles Volume 4- 1964" calls the Kim Weston single "withdrawn" while the Don't Forget The Motor City web site says the single was "released in Europe only". 

Certainly not only released in Europe but in the UK only more precisely as far as the 'old continent' was conerned. But also released in the USA involving 3 pressing plants. This after it had some "action" in the West Coast. Attesting that at Motown they decided to press commercial copies also in the mid and north west.

I get the story that Kim Weston deserved a more striking 'starting block' of a tune. That which followed. We can all relate to that fact. 'A Little `More Love' is really not that. But if Gordy would have called-off all the copies out there judging by the numbers of copies found it would have been rather late... Looks more like a let down.

And if these had been withdrawned all the unsold copies would have been destroyed. That which is clearly not the case. And copies had already been sent-out to other countries representatives as I got one in Belgium from the Belinda/Melinda record's representative. I wouldn't be surprise that a "well documented" thing had it wrong.

Social source share

Certainly not only released in Europe but in the UK only more precisely as far as the 'old continent' was conerned. But also released in the USA involving 3 pressing plants. This after it had some "action" in the West Coast. Attesting that at Motown they decided to press commercial copies also in the mid and north west.

I get the story that Kim Weston deserved a more striking 'starting block' of a tune. That which followed. We can all relate to that fact. 'A Little `More Love' is really not that. But if Gordy would have called-off all the copies out there judging by the numbers of copies found it would have been rather late... Looks more like a let down.

And if these had been withdrawned all the unsold copies would have been destroyed. That which is clearly not the case. And copies had already been sent-out to other countries representatives as I got one in Belgium from the Belinda/Melinda record's representative. I wouldn't be surprise that a "well documented" thing had it wrong.

I personally think that this was withdrawn very shortley after being released in the same way Eddie Holland -You deserve what you got was,i have always wondered why no promo copies exist of the Kim Weston recording. 

Social source share

48 minutes ago, Wheelsville1 said:

I personally think that this was withdrawn very shortley after being released in the same way Eddie Holland -You deserve what you got was,i have always wondered why no promo copies exist of the Kim Weston recording. 

Monarch (normal for a L.A. production) and if withdrawn not quickly... Nor destroyed but 'cut( (drill hole) for whole sale. Involving 3 pressing plants to press stockers to supply the records shops stalls in the North and Mid-West further and even time to send out copies worldwide to record's reprensentative for foreign releases (hense the TMG sole one). Withdrawn does not make sense. Letted down yes or sensible.

1401812728_Capturedecran2022-11-03a08_26_56.png.66df889a2191c5487618ece647b246da.png

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Monarch (normal for a L.A. production) and if withdrawn not quickly... Nor destroyed but 'cut( (drill hole) for whole sale. Involving 3 pressing plants to press stockers to supply the records shops stalls in the North and Mid-West further and even time to send out copies worldwide to record's reprensentative for foreign releases (hense the TMG sole one). Withdrawn does not make sense. Letted down yes or sensible.

1401812728_Capturedecran2022-11-03a08_26_56.png.66df889a2191c5487618ece647b246da.png

Nice one,first time i have ever seen a promo copy.Your theory now makes more sense and it being a case of poor sales rather than being withdrawn. 

Social source share

12 minutes ago, Wheelsville1 said:

Nice one,first time i have ever seen a promo copy.Your theory now makes more sense and it being a case of poor sales rather than being withdrawn. 

Wether it has been withdrawn or just suffered from poor sales, fact remains today it is a very rare, in fact one of the rarest, US Motown releases. I only remember one going thru ebay (a demo which is the one tlscapital posted) and I remember considering bidding on it back then but as I already had an issue in the end did not. Not one copy slipped thru discogs in all those years. Musically I am with you though...not her best shot.   

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Marc Forrest said:

Wether it has been withdrawn or just suffered from poor sales, fact remains today it is a very rare, in fact one of the rarest, US Motown releases. I only remember one going thru ebay (a demo which is the one tlscapital posted) and I remember considering bidding on it back then but as I already had an issue in the end did not. Not one copy slipped thru discogs in all those years. Musically I am with you though...not her best shot.   

It's not weither IMO. Withdrawn makes it more 'elusive' that which is not. Where it was most likely only not well promoted or pushed. Left there like floating around... Never kicking anyone's excitment logically and so never went anywhere commercialy wise.

The few very well known withdrawned copies from Motown are much rarer and sought after than this one. The "withdrawn" attribute here was given long ago for purely speculative reasons I believe. To give this item a "hottie" edge factor that it does not have.

Hence the finishing price here in this auction given likely from deep pockets who relly on the auctioner's reputation and knowledge (that he has) but that can be seriously questioned at times like in this case. Just taking for fact old collectors boys rumors.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

17 hours ago, Nick Soule said:

The Kim Weston was withdrawn. I know several collectors that heard it on the radio in different parts of the US at the time it came out and tried to buy a copy from their local record store, who then called the distributor and were told that it was withdrawn from sale.

Despite being pressed at ARP, Monarch, and Southern Plastics, it's definitely rare. I've been stuck with a VG- ARP pressing for years, and I've had zero chance at an upgrade despite posting want lists and having saved searches. I see 7 copies on Popsike. One of the 7 is the same copy auctioned twice, so actually only 6 copies with the last one being sold in 2014. Of those 6 there are only 2 that were given a grade above VG+. I agree that the price is high considering what it's gone for historically, but I think the main selling point was that it was a M- copy.

So it had it's little "air play" nationaly... And copies have been sold (used copies about) and unsold copies found their ways into whole sale "cut-out/hole-drill" record's stalls. The remaining copies at the distributors were then called off to stop the sales at one time but not that quickly. A rather late withdrawall in the process then. OK.

Rare it is ! I'm not saying otherwise. But not that elusive as some seem to claim with no more than 'completists collectors' for target. I mean in comparison with DJ's, in-demand or a momentary 'hyped' records fetching sky high prices. Internet history sales is never that complete or "smart". I.A. gathering 'entry' key words has flaws.

Still it is a good reference. The best source we have yet to "count" factualy recent referenced sales FWIW. But it does not count sales/trades outside those two major sales plateforms ! And this record also often went through those channels I believe. One of those record regarded as an "old collector" to have but not to listen to really.

Why I'm inclined to believe not too many came out in the 'open' market Y2K+. Likely the few about are stuck in big record collections stateside. FWIW I've had my 'minty/EX' copy (coming from a record's reprensenative collection) that I swapped for like £400 (pushing it) worth 10 years ago. Today's worth I'd believe double max !

That is still too much I believe. That since Motown 'raries' are not so much subject to the recent speculations of the market from what I saw. Where the previously not so rare ones that got exposed through the resurection of the northern soul 'mania' suddently saw a crazy boost in price (Frances Nero & Co.) but this Kim is not that...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!