Hot Chocolate

Guest Lady Maverick

Guest Lady Maverick

Please forgive me as I know this is a Soul forum, but I was curious about them and thought you all could help me.

Here in the States, they are only known for YOU SEXY THING and I was reading about them and wondered why they weren't bigger here. I read somewhere that they had a hit every year on the UK charts?

Does anyone know of any collections they might have so I can get a glimpse of their work? What are their best songs in your opinion?

Thank you! :D

Social source share

• Replies 38
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Please forgive me as I know this is a Soul forum, but I was curious about them and thought you all could help me.

Here in the States, they are only known for YOU SEXY THING and I was reading about them and wondered why they weren't bigger here. I read somewhere that they had a hit every year on the UK charts?

Does anyone know of any collections they might have so I can get a glimpse of their work? What are their best songs in your opinion?

Thank you!
:)

Yes Maverick they did have a string of hits here in the mid/late 70's probably more than just one a year. Always considered a pop band over here I don't recall ever hearing one of thier songs in a soul club or seeing much mentioned in the UK soul press at the time. I'm sure there must be a compilation CD of thier stuff out there somewhere have you tried the major outlets Amazon etc?

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Thank you! :)

My fave by them is 'put your love in me', great atmospheric tune.

Shouldn't be too difficult to get hold of a greatest hits album, there was the classic one that everyone had in the 7ts/8ts with the malteser on the cover.

Simon :D

Social source share

Guest sigher the gutter snype

they blew up with "you sexy thing" but was produced by johnny cameron amongst others and no doubt had help from the cream of some of the u.k jazz players fom the early 1970's or took to their style

johnny cameron arranged loads of good stuff and even had his own lp on deram "off centre"

also scored my favourite ever film "KES" the music in that is just beautiful and so is the film

maverick if you ever want to see a gritty northern u.k film then just buy it.

the first lp isnt all pop and has a few downbeat ghetto type jams if im not mistaken

think they went popish in the early 80's.

always the way when you get a hit record

Social source share

they blew up with "you sexy thing" but was produced by johnny cameron amongst others and no doubt had help from the cream of some of the u.k jazz players fom the early 1970's or took to their style

johnny cameron arranged loads of good stuff and even had his own lp on deram "off centre"

also scored my favourite ever film "KES" the music in that is just beautiful and so is the film

maverick if you ever want to see a gritty northern u.k film then just buy it.

the first lp isnt all pop and has a few downbeat ghetto type jams if im not mistaken

think they went popish in the early 80's.

always the way when you get a hit record

Isn't the first album a funk album, i remember seeing a copy go on ebay for a few hundred quid a while back.

Simon

Social source share

Guest sigher the gutter snype

think you are thinking of the u.s group hot chocolate who was on lou raglands label

cant remember the label

oh! co co cleveland

thats right

lou ragland and hot chocolate

soul brother records re-issued it

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Yes Maverick they did have a string of hits here in the mid/late 70's probably more than just one a year. Always considered a pop band over here I don't recall ever hearing one of thier songs in a soul club or seeing much mentioned in the UK soul press at the time. I'm sure there must be a compilation CD of thier stuff out there somewhere have you tried the major outlets Amazon etc?

Cheers Paul

Yes I did...there are three I am interested in, but not sure where to start...thinking of the ESSENTIAL COLLECTION though:

14 Greatest Hits

https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Chocolate-14-Gre...TF8&s=music

More Greatest Hits

https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Chocolate-More-G...TF8&s=music

Essential Collection

https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Collection...-6286833#disc_1

My fave by them is 'put your love in me', great atmospheric tune.

Shouldn't be too difficult to get hold of a greatest hits album, there was the classic one that everyone had in the 7ts/8ts with the malteser on the cover.

Simon :D

Hey Simon...I didn't see that one...

think you are thinking of the u.s group hot chocolate who was on lou raglands label

cant remember the label

oh! co co cleveland

thats right

Thanks for that info!

Again thank you for this information and I apologize as I know this is a Soul forum, but I just needed help on this. :)

Edited by Lady Maverick
Social source share

cant remember the label

oh! co co cleveland

thats right

Oops! you learn something new everyday!

Simon :)

Social source share

Thank you! :)

This is the ONLY one u need from these guys - rest is pop/pap...'Go-Go Girl' is Funk/Psyche - killer actually - you'd never think it was the same group avtually...

Hot Chocolate 'You Will Always Be My Friend' / 'Go-Go Girl' (RAK 7"/UK/1973)

Best...MRez

Social source share

Thank you! thumbsup.gif

here you are since you are interested they really did have at least a hit a year till 1984

#6 love is life 8/70

#22 you could have been a lady 3/71

#8 i believe [in love]8/71

#23 youll always be a friend 10/72

#7 brother louie 4/73

#44 rumours 8/73

#3 emma 3/74

#31 cheri babe 11/74

#11 disco queen 5/75

#7 a childs prayer 8/75

#2 you sexy thing 11/75

#11 dont stop it now 3/76

#14 man to man 6/76

#25 heaven is the back seat of my cadillac8/76

#1 so you win again 6/77

#10 put your love in me 11/77

#12 every1's a winner 3/78

#13 ill put you together again 12/78

#46 mindless boogie 5/79

#53 going through the motions 7/79

#2 no doubt about it 5/80

#17 are you getting enough of what makes you happy 7/80

#50 love me to sleep 12/80

#52 youll never be so wrong 5/81

#7 girl crazy 5/82

#5 it started with a kiss 7/82

#32 chances 9/82

#10 what kind of boy are you looking for [girl]5/83

#37 tears on the telephone 9/83

#13 i gave you my heart [didnt i] 2/84

thats all i have up till 87, theres probibly was more most likely just remixes

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

The lead guitar riff in Everyones A Winner is phenomenal, an instant hit if ever I heard one, and along with Blockbuster by the Sweet these were two of the first records that ever caught my extremely young ears at the time. Such a shame those noisy irritating bastards Slade interupted ! I hate them and with a vengeance ! Anyone like to second that ?

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

yeah didn't think this band was soul. It started with a kiss is best song but really for me simple pop band of 70's and 80's

We don't consider them Soul either...more Disco. But was just interested because a couple of my DJ friends and myself were discussing them and they told me that they had other sides that were in their opinion better than YOU SEXY THING.

here you are since you are interested they really did have at least a hit a year till 1984

#6 love is life 8/70

#22 you could have been a lady 3/71

#8 i believe [in love]8/71

#23 youll always be a friend 10/72

#7 brother louie 4/73

#44 rumours 8/73

#3 emma 3/74

#31 cheri babe 11/74

#11 disco queen 5/75

#7 a childs prayer 8/75

#2 you sexy thing 11/75

#11 dont stop it now 3/76

#14 man to man 6/76

#25 heaven is the back seat of my cadillac8/76

#1 so you win again 6/77

#10 put your love in me 11/77

#12 every1's a winner 3/78

#13 ill put you together again 12/78

#46 mindless boogie 5/79

#53 going through the motions 7/79

#2 no doubt about it 5/80

#17 are you getting enough of what makes you happy 7/80

#50 love me to sleep 12/80

#52 youll never be so wrong 5/81

#7 girl crazy 5/82

#5 it started with a kiss 7/82

#32 chances 9/82

#10 what kind of boy are you looking for [girl]5/83

#37 tears on the telephone 9/83

#13 i gave you my heart [didnt i] 2/84

thats all i have up till 87, theres probibly was more most likely just remixes

Excellent! Thanks for the info!

Their first single was actually on Apple, a version of Give Peace A Chance, credited to the Hot Chocolate Band.

Pete...I did read that, but then the Apple deal fell through??

The lead guitar riff in Everyones A Winner is phenomenal, an instant hit if ever I heard one, and along with Blockbuster by the Sweet these were two of the first records that ever caught my extremely young ears at the time. Such a shame those noisy irritating bastards Slade interupted ! I hate them and with a vengeance ! Anyone like to second that ?

laugh.gif:thumbsup:

Social source share

Errol is now almost blue blood isn't he?

Isn't he a racehorse breeder with Liz Windsor connections these days?

Deffo worth a couple of bob anyhow.

It may have 'Started With A Kiss' but old Errol knew where he wanted to end up.

Social source share

Errol is now almost blue blood isn't he?

Isn't he a racehorse breeder with Liz Windsor connections these days?

Deffo worth a couple of bob anyhow.

It may have 'Started With A Kiss' but old Errol knew where he wanted to end up.

Their 'No Doubt About It' was inspired by the band having a close encounter with a UFO. Or so Errol said when I saw him at the Winter Gardens in Blackpool about '92. It makes sense if you listen to the lyrics but I can't vouch for how genuine the sighting was. :fool:

Social source share

Their 'No Doubt About It' was inspired by the band having a close encounter with a UFO. Or so Errol said when I saw him at the Winter Gardens in Blackpool about '92. It makes sense if you listen to the lyrics but I can't vouch for how genuine the sighting was. :fool:

If you want to know how soulful Hot Chocolate could / did sound , check out the Curtis Mayfield influenced track " Could Have Been Born in The Ghetto " , from their 1974 album " Cicero Park " , released in the U.K. on RAK , and on Big Tree in the U.S. ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

I remember including Hot Chocolate (the UK act) and their "Call The Police" on a soul mixtape I did back in the day, and then regretting it!

Quite simply because it was the only non-soul tune on the tape. But still that song has some sort of ghetto-funk feel to it :wicked:

I have the reissue of the LP by the US band Hot Chocolate. A nice album, the original LP is expensive, though I have come across it a few times.

/Melismo

Social source share

This is the ONLY one u need from these guys - rest is pop/pap...'Go-Go Girl' is Funk/Psyche - killer actually - you'd never think it was the same group avtually...

Hot Chocolate 'You Will Always Be My Friend' / 'Go-Go Girl' (RAK 7"/UK/1973)

Best...MRez

vulture boy :wicked:

Social source share

vulture boy :unsure:

A further addition to the Hot chocolate debate ......

I was looking through an old Blues & Soul ( number # 202 , dated July 20th 1976 ) , and one of the club reports in Frank Elson's " Checkin' It Out " column - Jingles in Chesterfield - has the DJ of the time , Steve Martell , listing HC's " Man To Man " as one of the big plays for him .

It was a 45 on RAK ( released in June of 1976 ) , but I cannot recall hearing it ; anyone remember this side from HC ?

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest mel brat

I thnk their first single was "love is Life" on Rak in the early 70s think produced by Mickie Most- Got in lower reaches of the top 20- rember buying it eoither 1974/75?

"Love Is Life" was released in 1970 if I remember correctly... :D

Social source share

Guest mel brat

steady on....the mighty slade were untouchable in the early 7t's

Were they really? "Untouchables" as far as I was concerned. I never forgave them for ripping off Little Richard's "Get Down And Get With It", amongst many other musical crimes!

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Thanks for your help on this group! I have seen an Essential CD I will be purchasing in the near future and marked some vinyl titles down for further browsing. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Worth mentioning a third 'Hot Chocolate' who recorded the sublime "Keep My Baby Cool" on Duke, in 1970. These were obviously not the UK lot and neither were they Lou Ragland's outfit - in fact, they seem to be a Bunny Sigler-led studio group, his voice is unmistakable and unmissable on the choruses especially. Don't know how such a wonderful Philly side ended up on a Houston-based label, but there you go.

The other side of "Keep My Baby Cool", "Who Do You Call" is, I'm convinced, by another group entirely.

BTW not Errol Brown but several of the other members of 'Our' Hot Chocolate were also previously in a 60s UK act, one that recorded for Decca, called the Soul Brothers.

TONE

Social source share

BTW not Errol Brown but several of the other members of 'Our' Hot Chocolate were also previously in a 60s UK act, one that recorded for Decca, called the Soul Brothers.

TONE

Hi Tone,

I presume they're the same Soul Brothers who had a minor (Top 50) UK hit with "I Keep Ringing My Baby" in 1965?

Gene

Social source share

Additional information - Hot Chocolate's first UK single was a cover version of the Plastic Ono Band (John Lennon)'s "Give Peace A Chance", released on Apple as the Hot Chocolate Band. Also a UK-only release - I think..............

On a less serious note, anyone know the record they released in support of George Michael at the time of his arrest in a gents' toilet? Keep a look out for it - "It Started With A P*ss"!

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Additional information - Hot Chocolate's first UK single was a cover version of the Plastic Ono Band (John Lennon)'s "Give Peace A Chance", released on Apple as the Hot Chocolate Band. Also a UK-only release - I think..............

On a less serious note, anyone know the record they released in support of George Michael at the time of his arrest in a gents' toilet? Keep a look out for it - "It Started With A P*ss"!

Gene my myopic pal, that looks amazingly like a post I made a few days ago in this very thread which said

" Their first single was actually on Apple, a version of Give Peace A Chance, credited to the Hot Chocolate Band."

great minds etc

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi Tone,

I presume they're the same Soul Brothers who had a minor (Top 50) UK hit with "I Keep Ringing My Baby" in 1965?

Gene

...Yes, the very same, my friend.

TONE

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi Tone,

Gene

...Yes, the very same, my friend.

TONE

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Worth mentioning a third 'Hot Chocolate' who recorded the sublime "Keep My Baby Cool" on Duke, in 1970. These were obviously not the UK lot and neither were they Lou Ragland's outfit - in fact, they seem to be a Bunny Sigler-led studio group, his voice is unmistakable and unmissable on the choruses especially. Don't know how such a wonderful Philly side ended up on a Houston-based label, but there you go.

The other side of "Keep My Baby Cool", "Who Do You Call" is, I'm convinced, by another group entirely.

TONE

That's quite interesting!

Oh lawd... rolleyes.gif:thumbsup::D:yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert