discogs fees going up?

Mike

Selling Fees Will Update on May 22, 2023

April 30, 2023

Discogs has made significant investments in recent years to ensure compliance with various regulatory programs, including tax support and privacy protection. These efforts have ensured a trusted international marketplace for buying and selling music, but they also come with real costs to provide these valuable services.

After careful consideration, we are updating our selling fee for the first time in over 10 years. The selling fee will change from 8% to 9% on May 22, 2023. The new 9% selling fee applies to both the item and shipping costs. It is still free to list items for sale.

so a 1% rise, will this have any effect on you buying/selling on that platform?

Social source share

I haven't bought of discogs for a while I am using it to cataloge what I have. I know other people can access and search what I have on there even though they aren't listed for sale. I was thinking if people put their details on here then others could contact each other with a view to buy/sell without fees and avoid possible scam sales

Social source share

Anything requiring electricity will be more expensive in these times. The surprise is that rates have stayed at 8% until now. Was it necessary to increase rates by a full percentage point (= 68% increase), rather than e.g. only a half percentage point to 8.5% (= 34% increase)? Perhaps, depending on what sort of electricity supply contract that Discogs' server host has, in addition to other things like staff.

We're accustomed to thinking of the internet as cheap or free. Given how pervasive it is now with smartphones and all the other devices including televisions, the demands on its services are only growing. Sales of advertising can get platforms and websites only so far in this kind of situation.

How does this price increase compare with the costs of running Soul Source over the last year?

Social source share

10 minutes ago, Sutty said:

Currently it’s 8% of the sale items. (80p on £10 sale)

Now it’s going to be 9% of the sale items plus postage (1.35 on £10 plus £5 post)

that’s a 68% increase in fees not 1%

Plus 20% vat on top of your fees.

Was 8% + 20% which equals 9.6%

Now 9% + 20% which equals 10.8% and now has charges on your postage cost too.

Social source share

4 hours ago, Alan T said:

Plus 20% vat on top of your fees.

Was 8% + 20% which equals 9.6%

Now 9% + 20% which equals 10.8% and now has charges on your postage cost too.

No VAT within the UK unless you’re a business account. VAT to EU goes straight out from Discogs. The big change really is they’re now going to charge fees on the postage costs, presumably to stop people pricing lowly and setting high post, at present they only charge fees on the cost of the sale, not postage. This is worse than their claim of 8 to 9% as they’ve moved the goalposts.

Helpfully (not) sending out mails advising sellers to put their prices up to cover their greed is a wind-up.

Social source share

19 minutes ago, Sutty said:

No VAT within the UK unless you’re a business account. VAT to EU goes straight out from Discogs. The big change really is they’re now going to charge fees on the postage costs, presumably to stop people pricing lowly and setting high post, at present they only charge fees on the cost of the sale, not postage. This is worse than their claim of 8 to 9% as they’ve moved the goalposts.

Helpfully (not) sending out mails advising sellers to put their prices up to cover their greed is a wind-up.

I always get charged 20% vat on the fees only, not the sale price.

I dont think i have a business account on there. I'll need to look in to it.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Alan T said:

I always get charged 20% vat on the fees only, not the sale price.

I dont think i have a business account on there. I'll need to look in to it.

I just checked and I def don’t get charged VAT at all as a seller within the UK, or Rest of the world outside the EU. The buyer does on the sale and post if they are in the EU, it goes straight to discogs so I never see it. The joys of the oven ready Brexshit.

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

VAT charges on discogs deals are mentioned above ...

I am not allowed (by the wife) to buy records any more from any source, so this is purely a rhetorical question ....😉

But if I was to buy 45's from Canada & was charged VAT on that deal, does that mean I won't get charged VAT by UK customs + a collection fee by Royal Mail ?? 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!