Newly discovered Marvin Gaye material in Belgium.

Belongs to Marvin's family, bullshit he gifted it to them. Marvin was known to be tight in giving credit/points on records.

Take sexual healing for example, David Ritz sued Marvin Gaye for songwriting credit; Ritz received credit only after settling with Marvin Gaye's estate after the singer's death

Edited by Fiftyboiledeggs
Social source share

I would imagine most of these recordings are nothing more than a few jams and Marvin singing a few lines/chorus to new songs he was trying  out which were not complete, be nice if something can be done with them to make them available though.

Social source share

16 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

Nice to know there are so many moaning Minnies on here still ... :lol:

I'd have thought that the prospect of 30 unheard MG tapes with 66 demos of unheard songs on them would have been met with a tad more enthusiasm to be honest ... :rolleyes:

Here's hoping there are a few real gems amongst them to cheer you miserable buggers up a bit ... :wicked:

Morning Mr Woodbutcher glad to see you are now in a happy place you always seemed to be ss Mr Angry 😂😂

Happy Easter .

Sad that it is 40 years on Monday since Marvin's death. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Shinehead said:

Morning Mr Woodbutcher glad to see you are now in a happy place you always seemed to be ss Mr Angry 😂😂

Happy Easter .

Sad that it is 40 years on Monday since Marvin's death. 

😂🤣

Social source share

Played through samples of quite a few on channel 4 news. An album's worth of jazz standards, fly me to the moon ect. He sounded in fine voice on the samples, however the material would perhaps be of less interest to soul folk, it could have almost been a tribute to old blue eyes! No original compositions or soul related material.

Edited by Geeselad
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

6 hours ago, Geeselad said:

Played through samples of quite a few on channel 4 news. An album's worth of jazz standards, fly me to the moon ect. He sounded in fine voice on the samples, however the material would perhaps be of less interest to soul folk, it could have almost been a tribute to old blue eyes! No original compositions or soul related material.

I can not remember which documentary or who said it, but they state that Marvin only ever wanted to be a "crooner"

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!