Del larks job opening - legal reissue or bootleg?

Does anyone know 100% whether this is a legal reissue or a bootleg? It seems to divide opinion on whether it’s legal or not.

if it is legal, what’s the history behind it? Did the label owner release it or was it a member of the del larks?

many thanks in advance!

IMG_9695.jpeg

Social source share

I’ve always believed after 40 yrs of collecting and  thought that copy / reissue  you have put up was pressed early 80’s at the end of Wigan to satisfy the demand for it - below is a photo of an original and the 1976 2nd issue for comparison - although after 40 yrs every day is a school day if am gonna be corrected out there ! 😂👍🏻

IMG_2611.jpeg

IMG_2612.jpeg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Jamie Walker said:

Does anyone know 100% whether this is a legal reissue or a bootleg? It seems to divide opinion on whether it’s legal or not.

if it is legal, what’s the history behind it? Did the label owner release it or was it a member of the del larks?

many thanks in advance!

These were around about mid 70's, fairly sure they are boots (was of this opinion at the time), would be odd for a legal issue not to have the writers name credited.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

It's a bootleg.  The only time it divides opinion is when someone is looking for the Ok to play it.

I have about 6 boots that I will never afford without a lottery win. Am I OK to play them at home if no one is listening 🤔 lol.

Social source share

23 minutes ago, Goldsoul said:

Well fellas…………it’s totally and utterly legal. 
Ian Levine hooked me up with Sammy Campbell in 1975 and he pressed 500 copies. 
Remember Ian was already dealing with Sam(Tyrone Ashley). I continued a friendly relationship with Sam over the years, topping off with an appearance by the only 3 surviving members(at the time) in 2006 for a Soultripusa appearance at the Hilton, New Brunswick, NJ. 
Ironically Sammy was nervous at the time of manufacture, citing George Blackwell as an interested party but also as a hostile one. 
Apparently GB had manufactured the initial promo and failed to do anything with it, leaving the band to fund their own release in late 1965. 

wasn;t george blackwell the reason for sammys name change and relocation to philadelphia ?

Social source share

2 hours ago, Goldsoul said:

Remember Ian was already dealing with Sam(Tyrone Ashley). I continued a friendly relationship with Sam over the years, topping off with an appearance by the only 3 surviving members(at the time) in 2006 for a Soultripusa appearance at the Hilton, New Brunswick, NJ. 
Ironically Sammy was nervous at the time of manufacture, citing George Blackwell as an interested party but also as a hostile one. 
Apparently GB had manufactured the initial promo and failed to do anything with it, leaving the band to fund their own release in late 1965. 

Thanks Kev, that answers a long standing query of mine. I spoke to Sammy at New Jersey and Prestatyn and both times he wouldn’t talk about the demo saying “ I ain’t going up that avenue” knowing how bad things were with GB (especially the gun story) I now get it. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Goldsoul said:

Thanks Kev, that’s really great to know and explains that label credit.

much appreciated!

jamie

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!