Records Gone Missing At Prestatyn Weekender

Guest matt tees

Guest matt tees

After finally sorting out my records after a very busy Prestatyn weekender, I have found out that the following records were removed from my boxes. I am still not sure if others have gone. I do believe these were hand picked from my 70s/Crossober Box.

ZZ & Company - Getting Ready For The Getdown - Columibus (Book Price) £350

Brothers Guiding Light - Gettin Together - Mercury £100

Pioneers - My Good Friend Jane - Ice - £150

Dells - Your Song - 20th Century - £75

I have been selling records for 13 years and as far as I know I have never lost a record. I have to admit I sometimes wonder from my boxes and chat to other dealers but I have always found the northern soul scene the most trusting and honest people I have met! I really feel gutted that somewhere out there has done this dirty deed.

This happened at Prestatyn last year when a couple of expensive records from another dealer went missing. So I am just letting record dealers out there to be on their guard in Future!!

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Glawsters Best

After finally sorting out my records after a very busy Prestatyn weekender, I have found out that the following records were removed from my boxes. I am still not sure if others have gone. I do believe these were hand picked from my 70s/Crossober Box.

I have been selling records for 13 years and as far as I know I have never lost a record. I have to admit I sometimes wonder from my boxes and chat to other dealers but I have always found the northern soul scene the most trusting and honest people I have met! I really feel gutted that somewhere out there has done this dirty deed.

This happened at Prestatyn last year when a couple of expensive records from another dealer went missing. So I am just letting record dealers out there to be on their guard in Future!!

if you find out who the culprits are sting the b**tards up

Edited by Glawsters Best
Social source share

ALWAYS GONNA GET SCUM AROUND.

I ASKED ONE DEALER IF I COULD SPIN A COUPLE FROM HIS BOX ON ROGER BANKS DECKS, AND HE OK'D IT.

FEW MINUTES LATER ONE'S BACK IN HIS BOX, THE OTHER I PURCHASED.

THE POINT IS, MOST ON THE SCENE ARE OK AND RESPECT EACH OTHER.

SOME ARE JUST PLAIN SCUM....HOPE YOU TRACK DOWN THE MISSING RECORDS,,KEV.

Social source share

The unfortunate part of this shitty act , S , is that the bastard who stole the records from you , could possibly be on this forum , and having a laugh to himself - or herself - at your expense ....

I hope the t**t has a seizure .....

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Dr Bob Jones

Matt

This is terrible, it really leaves a bitter taste in the mouth after such a good weekend. I sincerely hope you can salvage something from this.

We should keep any eye out, the tealeaf might have nicked to sell, it's obviously some one who knows their stuff.

Regards

Dr Bob Jones

Social source share

Sean sorry mate, I don't know what to say... I can remember seeing your song but can't remember seeing the others.. so may have been the early part of the weekend (Friday)... reason I say that is that I would have had the brothers off ya.

Have you checked in the £50 box?

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

I had some albums robbed about 10yrs ago now

a signed uk Rare Stamps Stax Album plus first issues on uk of Bobby Bland material and some Motown albums....so I know how you feel mate.....

I never ever forget anyone that shits on me no matter what or how little the actual thing may seem to some people.So I shall sooner or later get to the shite-hawk that took these albums and he will be minus a few snappers etc....

anyway mate

I hope you find out who took your records and I hope you make them suffer......

all the best

mel :rolleyes:

Social source share

I know how you feel mate, it's happened to me a couple of times over the years, about ten or tweleve years ago i had Ollie Jackson - Wipe Away The Teardrops, Velvet Satins Demo, Dickie Wonder - Nobody Knows, Hestitations - Built That Way Demo, Intros - Stop Look And Listen and several others all go on the same night from a local soul night, never found out who took them, still upsets me to this day, not the fact that the records have gone more the trust thing as if someone shows interest in a record whos a bit skint then i'll give them the bloody thing and settle later kind of deal and to think that there are people out there on this scene that can steal is just mindblowing, i do hope you trace the records or someone out there has some information, however i hate to have to say it but don't hold your breath, just amazes me how someone can get any satisfaction or pleasure from playing a stolen record...may they have loads of bad luck for their actions.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest matt tees

I know how you feel mate, it's happened to me a couple of times over the years, about ten or tweleve years ago i had Ollie Jackson - Wipe Away The Teardrops, Velvet Satins Demo, Dickie Wonder - Nobody Knows, Hestitations - Built That Way Demo, Intros - Stop Look And Listen and several others all go on the same night from a local soul night, never found out who took them, still upsets me to this day, not the fact that the records have gone more the trust thing as if someone shows interest in a record whos a bit skint then i'll give them the bloody thing and settle later kind of deal and to think that there are people out there on this scene that can steal is just mindblowing, i do hope you trace the records or someone out there has some information, however i hate to have to say it but don't hold your breath, just amazes me how someone can get any satisfaction or pleasure from playing a stolen record...may they have loads of bad luck for their actions.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Mark, you hit it right on the nail, cost is not the point, it is the trust. I would have rather gave them away.

Social source share

I had around a dozen rare 45,s lifted from my dj box several years ago while i was dj,in its amazing

i did,nt see anybody do it several people where on the stage durin my spot and five or six people came up to ask for requests

i did,nt realise anything was gone until i was dj,in two weeks later and someone asked for the Ringleaders ,could,nt find it later someone asked for Herman Hitson same again got home later and realised around 12 45,s had gone from my box and it had been locked up since my last spot two weeks earlier and only opened again that nite ..

These days i keep my eye on them all the time i,m dj,in.......................

Social source share

I had around a dozen rare 45,s lifted from my dj box several years ago while i was dj,in its amazing

i did,nt see anybody do it several people where on the stage durin my spot and five or six people came up to ask for requests

i did,nt realise anything was gone until i was dj,in two weeks later and someone asked for the Ringleaders ,could,nt find it later someone asked for Herman Hitson same again got home later and realised around 12 45,s had gone from my box and it had been locked up since my last spot two weeks earlier and only opened again that nite ..

These days i keep my eye on them all the time i,m dj,in.......................

You know like we have unwritten laws on the scene like not spillin' ale on the dancefloor type thing then why not ban everyone but the dj and say the promoter on stage at any one time,kinell its like a sinkin ship on there sometimes,you don't know who's bloody who.

Social source share

There is hope. Dave Gillet from Salwick had 3 or 4 45's go missing out of his play box. He made it public knowledge then low and behold they were returned to the venue. Didn't Neil Jones get one returned or did I dream that. I also remember Richard Searling anouncing one Sunday that he'd had a whole sales box handed in at Jazz FM and I think that was before every one got those aluminium ones that all look the same.

For my part can't find my copy of Joe Mathews on Kool Kat but almost sure it's in the house somewhere you never know though.

Social source share

Sean I know it's a daft question but can you remember any other 'distinguishing' marks by which we might identify these if they 'turn up' in sales boxes? Stamps on labels/ that kind of thing? Then again, I reckon which ever twat did this though will be putting them into his/her own little box never to be seen again.

Just like Ian above, I had Alfie Davidson, Natural 4 & Bobby Hutton album filched whilst I was DJing. It really hurts to think there are people who would stoop so low on our scene.

Steve

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

It's great to see so many supportive responses to this one, add me to the list naturally.

I'd like to suggest you do what I did to restrict theft from sales boxes, not that I ever had one 45 stolen thankfully in my limited days of doing fairs.

From any decent builders merchants you should be able to find a long thin nut and bolt arrangement, perhaps the shaft being 8 to 10 inches long and max of quarter inch diameter. Drill a whole in your flight case or crate front and back and place the shaft thro it and the record centres, always maintaining the fastening nut on your side of the counter which only need be hand tight. Restrictive for UK 45's with a small hole admittedly, and slightly incovenient in some respects but saves a lot of potential heartache, so probably best to adopt this arrangement just for your high value boxes.

Hope the above helps.

Social source share

Guest rasfoz

The thing is its not like we are all spotty adolescents who dont know any better, the nature of the scene coupled with the age factor in a way makes it worse, that there is some little devious b*rstards out there quite happy to smile at you then mug you off as soon as your backs turned sad times are these

Social source share

Really sorry to hear about yet another thief helping themselves to vinyl

I hope that you find out who did this dirty deed

if you do, please name & shame them and hopefully the pillock will be banned from each & every venue

regards

Paul

Social source share

Sorry to hear about this sean, some wanker.gif s out there thats for sure, how anybody can get pleasue from having a nicked 45 is beyond me, the fact that I buy records out off my own hard earned cash gives me a sence of achevment, somthing to show for my efforts, only hope you get them back. good luck :thumbsup:

Social source share

Sorry to hear about this sean, some wanker.gif s out there thats for sure, how anybody can get pleasue from having a nicked 45 is beyond me, the fact that I buy records out off my own hard earned cash gives me a sence of achevment, somthing to show for my efforts, only hope you get them back. good luck :thumbsup:

Agree with this. Some people have no morals. You cannot let anything out of your sight for even seconds.

Social source share

Guest FREEANEASY

It's like lots have been sayin that there is a large percentage of not ya regular hardcore soulies attending this type of event.

Sean, There are some twats around and nicking anything is bang out of order.

Cant say I agree with the comment above "NOT YA REGULAR HARDCORE SOULIES". A thief is a thief im afraid, whether he's a regular attendee or not, its not an oppotunist theft looking at the records taken is it?

Brian

Social source share

I'm sure that nicking from sales boxes is not an isolated occurrence, the last time I went to Cleethorpes (5/6 years ago) I was sitting with Jo with our sales boxes in front of us like many others do. A group of three guys we didn't know came up and started looking in the boxes taking out a few records at a time and then swapping places. I'm a suspicious b*st*rd and it looked like a dodgy game to me so I took my records back off one guy and Jo did the same and we just shut our boxes and said if they wanted to look it was one at a time at one box at a time, they just wandered off.

I think Rob Messer had a whole box nicked at the same event off his sales stand in the record bar.

Unfortunately it is people on the scene that are doing it as they know what to nick and with "cheap" records being around 20 these days pretty much any small quantity is reasonably valuable.

If caught they should have their hands chopped off.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert