Soul Essence 25

Guest marion

Guest Gavin Page

Only just feeling halfway human again - we'll dig the playbox out later and try to suss out what we played on Saturday afternoon. There was some Osama Bin Laden record that I was very iffy about us spinning (well actually it was Charles Abdul Khaliq) but it sounded so Yarmouth !

Is Jilly OK Gav ?

Ali x

Baring up love - Thank you xx

• Replies 85
  • Views 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Gavin Page

Okay folks heres a first - A sort of play list from me :yes:

Did 3 sets, but have not got a Scooby Doo what I played when, but I know what I played unsure.gif

12s

1, Boozoo Bazou - Take It Slow

2, Leroy Hutson - All Because Of You

3, Metropolitan Jazz Affair - Find A Way

4, Mop Mop - Perfect Day

5, Johnnie Taylor - What About My Love

6, Harrison Crump - Ride

7, Jazztronic - Cannibal Rock

8, The Five Corners Quintet - Three Corners

7s

9,The TSU Toronadoes - What Good Am I

10, Charles Johnson - Never Had A Love So Good

11, Four Tops - Feel Free

12, Family Of Eve - Please Be Truthful

13, Joe Valentine - I Lost The Only Love I Had

14, Marvin Gaye - I Want You

15, Willie Hutch - Talk To Me

16, The Futures - Aint Got Time For Nothing

17, Ray Charles - I Don't Need No Doctor

18, Gene Chandler - Without You Here

19, Chester Rosewood - Everlasting Love C.U

20, Maze - While I'm Alone

21, Tuomo -Ourselves

22, Lamont Dozier - Breaking Out All Over

23, Leon Thomas - Love Each Other

24, Hudson People - Trip To Your Mind

25, Willie Hutch - Just Another Day

26, Spunk - LA Biimini

27, LA Voyage - Never Looking Back

28, Michelle Wiley - Feel Good

C.D Cuts

29, Carla Hampton - I Wanna Tha nk You

30, The Jazzinvaders - Love And Happiness

31, Mario Biondi -This Is What You Are

Album Cuts

32, Whatcha Gonna Do (Nocturna)

33, Be There In The Morning (Moving Along) Renee Geyer

34, Haunted House - Zingara

35, Morning Spring (Smouldering Soul) Copeland Davis

36, Give This Love A Try (My Pleasure) June Yamagishi and Womack

37, Your The Sweetest One (Forever For Always For Love) Luther Vandross

38, Our Hearts Will Shine (Glasses) Ozone

39, Keep It Up (Friends And Buddies) Milton Wright

40, You Did It Again (Intimate Connection) Kleer

41, Whats It Gonna Be (The Show Must Go On) Sam Dees

42, All The Heaven A Man Really Needs (Spills The Beans) Joe Tex

43, Easy Does It (In Tune) Willie Hutch

44, Make The Most Of It (Get Off With Us) Starfire

45, Ordinary Joe (Occasioal Rain) Terry Callier

46, Aiming At Your Heart - The Temptations

47, How Can I Help But Love You (Your The One) Don Thomas

48, Barbara Ann (Touch My Love) Webster Lewis

49, Hit And Run Lover (Do You Still Fell The Same Way) Tommy Young

50, Give Me Your Love (Super Fly) Curtis Mayfield

51, He Broke Your Game Wide Open (Yesterdays People) Frank Dell

52, Spanish Maiden (From The Street) Chito & The Latin Uniques

53, I Wouldn't Change A Thing (Comin At Ya) Coke Escovedo

54, Come To Me (Bazuka) Tony Camillo's

Sorry about set order's but all a little vague now

Great tuneage all weekend!

Great people all weekend!

Great company all weekend!

Smiling chatting dancing and drinking all weekend!

Buying records!

Selling records!

Getting away with an hour of LP only tracks on Friday night!

The 'TUNE' boards!

All the DJ's in the main room (couldn't venture into the Lounge cos of the record stall!)

Saturday afternoon collectors incl Flanny shaking it up a wee bit!

Lamont Dozier 'Family' from Girth in his excellent Saturday night set!

Bobby Womack acetate from Sean Hampsey in his excellent Saturday night set!

Gene West & Michael Rainey from Mike Charlton both nights!

Mario Bionde sounding fantastic!

bulmeisterian1 :-)

The 'snug'

The Orwellian meeting with a Monumental guest!

A Jazz or Northern selection in many sets!

Gary E seemingly in the centre of the dancefloor all weekend!

Brian Goucher 'ramming' the dance floor at 7.45pm Saturday!

Playing me top 3 record room spins on Saturday night!

Steve G's party selection on Sunday morning!

I'm sure there's loads more..............

Downside

Went too quick (as usual!)

Cheers

Steve

Steve i take it you missed the guy in the borat swimsuit with both his testicles hanging out running around the main room just as steve had finished his 3.00 - 5.00 saturday nite set . Bloody hysterical

Thanks Gary

Do we know who this was yet?

No steve maybe we ought to offer a ransom for his capture, fluorescant green borat swimsuits are in bad taste so it might be a case for the style police .

a few more highlights of the weekend

sitting on the beach on me lonesome watching the sun come up at 7.00 am saturday morning

the breakfasts in our b+b

andy etheridges sales box [pulled out 2 glorious tunes]

the drive home on autopilot [of course] and getting home in 3 and a half hours in the most wonderfull sunshine

Steves daybreak c/u

Gavin playing coke escavida on friday

and everything that makes yarmuth unmissable

now back in the land of the living Gary

Heres my first foray into the Lounge session @ Yarmouth.

Thoroughly enjoyed , and we even got a few dancing ( not sure this is supposed to happen !!).

Heres a list of some tunes I spun , not necessarily in correct order.

Sharon McMahan - GET OUT OF MY LIFE -45

Holly Maxwell - WINTER GO AWAY -45

Big Jims Border Crossing - YOU RE GOOD FOR ME GIRL -45

Jimmie Delphs - DO YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN -45

9th Creation - IM STILL YOURE FRIEND- 45

The Caprells - HEY GIRL WHY D YOU HAVE TO DO IT -45

Wee - IS IT ME Part 1 -45

Fontella Bass feat David Peaston - WAITIN' -CD

Marlena Shaw - SAVE THE CHILDREN -LP

Les McCann - SAD LITTLE GIRL -LP

Salena Jones -AM I THE SAME GIRL - LP

Willie Hutch - DONT LET NOBODY TELL YOU...-LP

Infernal BMc - AINT THAT LOVE -LP

Al Johnson -LET ME LOVE YOU -LP

Main Ingredient - LITTLE GIRL BLUE -LP

Anglo saxon Brown - HES THE MAN I LOVE -LP

Kim Weston - IF YOU GO AWAY -LP

Edited by glynthornhill

Absolutely brilliant. First time for me, and now I'm worrying about what ive missed before.

Didn't realise Jocko GarethX Mrs NormanMaine, BlakeH and others off here were there(Mind you, they might have known I was there and kept away !).

Seems churlish to pick out a spot on each night, with every dj being brilliant, but Steve Plumb just nicked it on Friday and my old mate Sean Hampsey on the Saturday. (Bobby Womack helped !)

Quality thumbsup.gif

Guest mrs norman maine

Didn't realise Jocko GarethX Mrs NormanMaine, BlakeH and others off here were there

Tarnation! If we'd have known, we could have organised a sandal-wearing, yoghurt-knitting, mini picket line to stop you getting in. Glad you had a good time. I shall make myself known next year and make a point of telling you how fantastic the other ones you've missed were :lol:

Edited by mrs norman maine

Absolutely brilliant. First time for me, and now I'm worrying about what ive missed before.

Didn't realise Jocko GarethX Mrs NormanMaine, BlakeH and others off here were there(Mind you, they might have known I was there and kept away !).

Seems churlish to pick out a spot on each night, with every dj being brilliant, but Steve Plumb just nicked it on Friday and my old mate Sean Hampsey on the Saturday. (Bobby Womack helped !)

Quality :thumbsup:

Thanks Steve, much appreciated :thumbsup:

Yep, there's been 24 Essence's before that that always seemed to be the best one ever!

Roll on #26 next April when we can do it all again and that one will no doubt become the best one ever too :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

Quality :thumbsup:

Better not be your last visit Steve.

Been telling you for years that it's the best thing in the country by a mile!

Glad you enjoyed the sets too (Good job I'd got the Womack with me though eh wicked.gif ) and we even got you on the floor to Darrow Fletcher. Priceless!

Loved having you there mate.

Don't be a stranger.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Tarnation! If we'd have known, we could have organised a sandal-wearing, yoghurt-knitting, mini picket line to stop you getting in. Glad you had a good time. I shall make myself known next year and make a point of telling you how fantastic the other ones you've missed were tongue.gif

Can't believe they let him in either Wendy.

The Blokes nowt but a Bloody Troublemaker.

Good meeting you though... and look forward to catching up at Monumental, next month!

Sean

Tarnation! If we'd have known, we could have organised a sandal-wearing, yoghurt-knitting, mini picket line to stop you getting in. Glad you had a good time. I shall make myself known next year and make a point of telling you how fantastic the other ones you've missed were :thumbsup:

I cannot believe that anyone did not know who you were , Sean ......

That devilish smile and those twinkling eyes are a dead giveaway ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton

I cannot believe that anyone did not know who you were , Sean ......

That devilish smile and those twinkling eyes are a dead giveaway ......

Malc Burton

Not me Malc, Wendy was talking about Mr Mannion!

Having never missed a Weekender there, my 'devlish eyes' are very well known in Yarmouth :boxing:

Looking forward to Mexborough tonight.

Think I'll be able to play my Yarmouth set there (listed earlier in this thread)... or am I better off with the 'Tribute to Bill Payne' set?

:unsure:

Sean

Not me Malc, Wendy was talking about Mr Mannion!

Having never missed a Weekender there, my 'devlish eyes' are very well known in Yarmouth :wicked:

:lol:

Sean

Devilish eyes, i=on sunday morning they looked like they hadnt been closed for a week and had been bathed in neat Jack Daniels.

Gouch

Devilish eyes, i=on sunday morning they looked like they hadnt been closed for a week and had been bathed in neat Jack Daniels.

Gouch

Mate,

They hadn't been closed for a week... but the JD went down the hatch... beautifully!

Really enjoyed 'The Lounge' Brian this year.

Them "George Jackson" boys are top drawer and Blake H, Pat Bickerstaff etc were all excellent!

12 more months is far too long to wait until the next un.

Just superb!

:wicked:

Sean

Guest vinylmaniac

Mate,

They hadn't been closed for a week... but the JD went down the hatch... beautifully!

Really enjoyed 'The Lounge' Brian this year.

Them "George Jackson" boys are top drawer and Blake H, Pat Bickerstaff etc were all excellent!

12 more months is far too long to wait until the next un.

Just superb!

:unsure:

Sean

Lets have one in october then.I loved every minute of it.Ta Ray
Guest Gavin Page

Hotel will not have 2 year any more :angry:

Do people not think that one a year is enough, with how much is on. I know we are a little different but there is only so much people can do and afford ?

Guest Karen Heath

Quality :sleep3:

Most of them would have been on the left side of the room. :yes:

Do people not think that one a year is enough, with how much is on. I know we are a little different but there is only so much people can do and afford ?

I thought there was going to be a European one ..Or was I dreaming . I always seem to be in Scandanavia in my dreams with blonde women :yes:

ps. actually I will be in Copenhagen 25th May :sleep3:

Edited by Simon M
Guest Gavin Page

I thought there was going to be a European one ..Or was I dreaming . I always seem to be in Scandanavia in my dreams with blonde women :yes:

ps. actually I will be in Copenhagen 25th May :sleep3:

No you are right, this is something we are looking at not sure where yet ?

People should sell their TV's if necessary! :yes:

It's unmissable Gavin.

I know the situation with the Raynscourt (with the Turkey & Tinsel thang) but the pangs really get to me in the Autumn and I start with the withdrawal symtoms.

Would be good to do another Essence weekender... 6 months apart... perhaps in the Midlands (Rotherham or Chesterfield :sleep3: ).

Or how about the 'Soul Essence Roadshow' hit a different place 3 or 4 times a year! (a bit like when we did the 'Yarmouth Comes To Yorkshire' at PITCHES.

Tis the Staff of Life, Gavin.

Love n'stuff.

Sean

Guest vinylmaniac

People should sell their TV's if necessary! :lol:

It's unmissable Gavin.

I know the situation with the Raynscourt (with the Turkey & Tinsel thang) but the pangs really get to me in the Autumn and I start with the withdrawal symtoms.

Would be good to do another Essence weekender... 6 months apart... perhaps in the Midlands (Rotherham or Chesterfield :lol: ).

Or how about the 'Soul Essence Roadshow' hit a different place 3 or 4 times a year! (a bit like when we did the 'Yarmouth Comes To Yorkshire' at PITCHES.

Tis the Staff of Life, Gavin.

Love n'stuff.

Sean

'Soul Essence Roadshow' :lol:thumbsup.gif:D:D:yes::yes::yes::yes: Ta Ray

Your Not Telling Me that the Hotel make more of out the "Turkey & Tinsel" brigade than they do out of the weekender crew! Mind You, if all of you where drinking in rounds with "Sean Hampsey & Tats" that statment well may be right !!!!!!!!! thumbsup.gif

What is that saying Sean and about a Yorkshire Man and his short arms and deep pockets!! :D

With Tats that is obviously understandable! Short Arms anyway, but surely his pockets should be shorter than most?

Still they often struggle to meet each other ! ! ! ! :thumbsup:

Guest Gavin Page

Bob and I do want to do more - The Roadshow and move more to the Midlands and Europe have all been requested by various people before. I assure you we will do something just not sure what or when yet ?

Bob and I do want to do more - The Roadshow and move more to the Midlands and Europe have all been requested by various people before. I assure you we will do something just not sure what or when yet ?

Gav - You already do a Yarmouth Roadshow!

Our 'Missing Yarmouth' special at The Orwell, which we have had for the last 3 or 4 Octobers is effectively a 'Yarmouth Roadshow' :thumbsup:

Seriously though, the roadshow thing is a good idea, we've done it with The Orwell a couple of times and it seems to work very well indeed!

Remember the 'Russ & Richard' roadshow trading on that place in Wigan's name in the 70's..............you could do the same again as the 'Gav & Bob' roadshow taking Yarmouth to the people biggrin.gif

Cheers

Steve

I think a second event somewhere else would help ensure the longevity of this unique weekender. There are various Yarmouth warm ups etc., some official some not, but an October event somewhere else with all the main DJs would I think be great.

why not join up with us in April 2008

www.seasidesoul.co.uk

if it works here this year and im sure it will

why not join forces with us????

orwell/seaside soul weekend brought together with the essence boys up here on the lancashire coast

sean@onthescene.co.uk

ive a bottle of john powers for you gavin if you do

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Guest Gavin Page

why not join up with us in April 2008

www.seasidesoul.co.uk

if it works here this year and im sure it will

why not join forces with us????

orwell/seaside soul weekend brought together with the essence boys up here on the lancashire coast

sean@onthescene.co.uk

ive a bottle of john powers for you gavin if you do

:rolleyes::thumbsup:

Mate, we have April 2008 date - Have 40 people booked already :unsure:

Hope all is good with you ?

Mate, we have April 2008 date - Have 40 people booked already :unsure:

Hope all is good with you ?

very well gavin apart from being knackered and no voice :unsure::unsure:

send me details gavin ive managed to persuade my better half to go next year so will be in touch

we will make a week of it in norfolk :rolleyes:

we had a great time this weekend and will be doing another next year

i think we will ensure its a little while after essence to get a few of you up here next year

reviews on its way tomorrow

hope youre well mate

will bring the jp for you :thumbsup:

cheers sean

• 2 weeks later...

Source Advert