Soul Essence 25

Guest marion

Guest marion

Booked up for the whole weekend but due to mum in hospital thursday and daughter at the doctors friday evening only managed to arrive at 9pm saturday! Still great time was had by all who attended, I really enjoyed the superb soul music that I managed to catch saturday night. Great to meet up with old friends from manchester, essex, leighton buzzard, hemel and norwich. :thumbsup: Heres to next 25! Many thanks to Bob Cosby and Gavin for yet another excellent weekender...or saturday night in my case !

• Replies 85
  • Views 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Fantastic weekend ,only our 2nd here but for us it is the best weekender for music by far. Thanks to Greg & Elaine for introducing us to this last year and for organising everything both times and for your company, we really do appreciate it. Also thanks to Ray & Elaine (Mansfield), Mick & Lynn (York) and Geoff & Sarah(Rotherham) for your company all weekend.

On to the music , best spot of the weekend for us is a tie between Steve Plumb's LP tracks only on Friday Night and Sean Hampsey on Sat Night although that said we would have liked to hear more of Brian Goucher who was excellent at 'The Frobisher' last year and we have heard him before on the superb Sunday Soul Selection with Shaun Robbins ,unfortunately Brian had the early spot both nights(6pm and 7pm) and this clashed with eating and being forced to watch the mighty reds crush Watford (Bring On Chelsea).

Hope you make it to The Wilton some time this year Brian.

Another DJ we missed was Steve Guarnori who we know is the business and judging by playlist on his Blog we missed a cracker on Sunday morning but not being seasoned proffessionals at this allnighter thing I'm afraid we didn't last until 3am leaving midway through Sam's spot.

Also enjoyed Steve Plumbs hour on Sat Night (Thanks for 4 Sonics) and Flannys spot on Sat afternoon , first time i've heard Insights, I Need Your Loneliness

played out anywhere. Must get over to 'The Orwell' again soon.

Also great to hear Joe Tex , All The Heaven A Man Needs - TUNE! which Gavin played on Friday Night.

Overall all contributors deserve credit and a big thanks to Gavin & Bob and all concerned, see you next year.

Paul & Sue , Doncaster

whistling.gif:thumbsup::thumbsup::wicked:thumbsup.gif:lol::P:thumbsup:

P.S - Would be great to see playlists from everyone!!

Guest deketh

HIA ALL ANOTHER SOUL ESSENSE DONE AND DUSTED GREAT TIME HAD AS ALWAYS AT ENGLAND`S PREMIER SEASIDE RESORT THAT IS YARMUFF.

A BIG THANKYOU TO GAVIN/BOB & SUE FOR KEEPING THIS UNIQUE WEEKENDER GOING (25 AND I DID SURVIVE) A LITTLE BRUISED FROM WHERE BULLY THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO PUNCH ME AND GIVE ME A DEADLEG.

THE CROWD WAS GREAT AS USUAL SOME FIRST TIMER`S , SOME REGULARS MISSING , NO SPANISH CONTINGENT (AND THERE WAS STILL NO ROOM ON THE DANCEFLOOR) A COUPLE OF GERMAN`S , AND THE USUAL SUSPECT`S GETTING UP TO GET DOWN AS THEY SAY , THANK`S TO ALL THE DJ`S FOR KEEPING THE TUNAGE FLOWING AND FOR PLAYING AT LEAST ONE JAZZ TRACK (AS PLUMB`Y SAID IT`S IN THERE CONTRACT) GREAT STUFF PLAYED BY GOUCH EARLY DOORS ON FRIDAY AND KEPT GOING ALL WEEKEND BY THE REST OF `EM IN BOTH ROOMS , AS FOR THE BORAT-ESQUE STRIPPER I WAS UP WHEN HE CAME RUNNING THROUGH THE VENUE SUNDAY MORNING BUT DIDN`T SEE A THING (THE GOUCH SAY`S IT WASN`T HIM AND WHEN HAVE YOU KNOWN A POLICEMAN LIE).

THE WEEKEND DID SEEM TO GO REALLY QUICK (SHAME THE JOURNEY HOME DOSEN`T) WHAT IS IT THEY SAY WHEN YOUR HAVING FUN.

AGAIN THANKS TO S.E.CREW FOR A GREAT WEEKEND AND ALSO LETTING ME AND GARY PLAY SOME TUNES ON SATURDAY AFTERNOON , TO PAUL FOR BUYING ME A DRINK WHEN I`D LEFT MY WALLET IN MY ROOM (GENUINE MISTAKE) , TO MY BROTHER FOR GETTING US HOME SAFELY , ALSO TO GAVIN FOR MAKING ME BUY METRO JAZZ 12" , TO GOUCH FOR TELLING ME TO BUY MARCELL AND THE TRUTH "MAYBE I`M NOT THE MAN" (IT IS A BIT SPECIAL) , TO THE BARSTAFF FOR SELLING ME ALCOHOL WHEN THEY CAN SEE I`VE HAD ENOUGH , AND TO THE MANAGER OF THE HOTEL I`D STAYED IN FOR NOT KICKING ME OUT (IT`S A LONG STORY QUITE FUNNY AND NONE OF MY DOING) I NEVER FIND TROUBLE , TROUBLE ALWAYS FINDS ME.

ANYWAY THAT`S ENOUGH JUST TO SAY YOU GO TO YARMUFF WITH A SMILE AND LEAVE WITH A BIGGER ONE.

ALL DA BEST - KEVIN "J" ETHERIDGE

HIA ALL ANOTHER SOUL ESSENSE DONE AND DUSTED GREAT TIME HAD AS ALWAYS AT ENGLAND`S PREMIER SEASIDE RESORT THAT IS YARMUFF.

A BIG THANKYOU TO GAVIN/BOB & SUE FOR KEEPING THIS UNIQUE WEEKENDER GOING (25 AND I DID SURVIVE) A LITTLE BRUISED FROM WHERE BULLY THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO PUNCH ME AND GIVE ME A DEADLEG.

THE CROWD WAS GREAT AS USUAL SOME FIRST TIMER`S , SOME REGULARS MISSING , NO SPANISH CONTINGENT (AND THERE WAS STILL NO ROOM ON THE DANCEFLOOR) A COUPLE OF GERMAN`S , AND THE USUAL SUSPECT`S GETTING UP TO GET DOWN AS THEY SAY , THANK`S TO ALL THE DJ`S FOR KEEPING THE TUNAGE FLOWING AND FOR PLAYING AT LEAST ONE JAZZ TRACK (AS PLUMB`Y SAID IT`S IN THERE CONTRACT) GREAT STUFF PLAYED BY GOUCH EARLY DOORS ON FRIDAY AND KEPT GOING ALL WEEKEND BY THE REST OF `EM IN BOTH ROOMS , AS FOR THE BORAT-ESQUE STRIPPER I WAS UP WHEN HE CAME RUNNING THROUGH THE VENUE SUNDAY MORNING BUT DIDN`T SEE A THING (THE GOUCH SAY`S IT WASN`T HIM AND WHEN HAVE YOU KNOWN A POLICEMAN LIE).

THE WEEKEND DID SEEM TO GO REALLY QUICK (SHAME THE JOURNEY HOME DOSEN`T) WHAT IS IT THEY SAY WHEN YOUR HAVING FUN.

AGAIN THANKS TO S.E.CREW FOR A GREAT WEEKEND AND ALSO LETTING ME AND GARY PLAY SOME TUNES ON SATURDAY AFTERNOON , TO PAUL FOR BUYING ME A DRINK WHEN I`D LEFT MY WALLET IN MY ROOM (GENUINE MISTAKE) , TO MY BROTHER FOR GETTING US HOME SAFELY , ALSO TO GAVIN FOR MAKING ME BUY METRO JAZZ 12" , TO GOUCH FOR TELLING ME TO BUY MARCELL AND THE TRUTH "MAYBE I`M NOT THE MAN" (IT IS A BIT SPECIAL) , TO THE BARSTAFF FOR SELLING ME ALCOHOL WHEN THEY CAN SEE I`VE HAD ENOUGH , AND TO THE MANAGER OF THE HOTEL I`D STAYED IN FOR NOT KICKING ME OUT (IT`S A LONG STORY QUITE FUNNY AND NONE OF MY DOING) I NEVER FIND TROUBLE , TROUBLE ALWAYS FINDS ME.

ANYWAY THAT`S ENOUGH JUST TO SAY YOU GO TO YARMUFF WITH A SMILE AND LEAVE WITH A BIGGER ONE.

ALL DA BEST - KEVIN "J" ETHERIDGE

Kev,

YOU DON'T HAVE TO SHOUT!!! Great weekend, fav sets Flanny, Steve G and Bob Cosby on Saturday night. Thanks guys

Annie x

Guest deketh

Kev,

YOU DON'T HAVE TO SHOUT!!! Great weekend, fav sets Flanny, Steve G and Bob Cosby on Saturday night. Thanks guys

Annie x

HI ANNIE I`M NOT SHOUTING IT JUST LOOKS BETTER IN capitols.

all da best - KEV.

Guest Glawsters Best

WHAT A GREAT WEEKEND THANKS TO BOB,SUE & GAVIN FOR PROVIDING US WITH THIS FANTASTIC WEEKENDER ALL THE DJ'S PLAYED GREAT GREAT TUNES GAIL'S ASLEEP ON THE SOFA NOW SHE'S WORKING TO NIGHT LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT YEAR THANKS

LEON & GAIL

PS GOOD CROWD OVER THE ROAD IN THE MARINE LODGE TO WATCH UTD DESTORY WATFORD

( MOST ONLY CAME OVER TO BARRACK ME )

Edited by Glawsters Best

My previous visit to Soul Essence was in October 2002, just after I started going out to soul nights again, so though I enjoyed it, I don't think I appreciated the music as much as perhaps I should have. Since then I've began to appreciate Modern Soul much more, through visits to New Chapter and MonuMental Soul, and of course CDs from friends. Therefore a visit to Great Yarmouth for the 25th SE seemed a good idea.

One of my friends, Dave Swift, fancied it as well, so he booked up to go with his wife; and kindly offered me a lift to Great Yarmouth.

So just gone mid day on Friday 13th, Dave and his wife arrived at my house, popped my case in the boot and off we went. It wasn't a bad drive; the worst traffic encountered was just as we entered GY. They dropped me off at my B&B, just around the corner from the Raynscourt Hotel, and arranged to meet up a little later.

I strolled round to the Raynscourt, took about 90 seconds, and met Dave outside. I got my wristband, and we were joined by his wife, and went for a stroll along the sea front. Very nice too, lovely weather with just the normal breeze off the North Sea you always get on that part of the coast.

As we were hungry a quick meal of fish and chips at Harry Ramsden's went down well. Then back to our respective hotels to prepare for the night ahead.

I walked into the Raynscourt just gone 7pm, Dave was already there with a drink, chatting to a friend. I'm not sure if the DJ playing at that point was Bob Cosby, but during his set I made my first foray onto the dance floor to These Memories. He played a nice set including Gene Chandler's Without You Here, definitely my favourite record of the moment.

I began to lose track of which DJ was on after that, it wasn't the drink, honest. While looking through the record boxes Frank Dell's He Broke Your Game Wide Open came on, just had to go and dance to it, unreconstructed Northern Soul lover that I am. I think it was Gavin Page that played that, he also played one that stuck in my mind, Willie Hutch's Easy Does It, an LP track.

By this time there was quite a number of people in, nice to see so many people that I knew from MonuMental and elsewhere. What I also found good, was that I could actually enjoy a drink, normally I've got my car with me, and have to be sensible, so to be free to drink was a bit of a novelty.

The dance floor at the Raynscourt is small, about the size of the one at These Old Shoes, but without the slope. Personally would have liked a bit of talc on it, but they don't seem to use that at Modern Soul do's. I spent quite a bit of time watching people dance, interesting to watch the different style that many do. When the floor was really busy I tried to do what I assume is called "two step", but found it quite hard to do, I am used to NS dancing, side to side, that slidey dance as they call it where I work.

I was particularly looking forward to Steve Plumb's set, which started at midnight. I've long wanted to get up to the Orwell, having heard so many good things about it, and I enjoyed his set when he guested at MonuMental in June 2005, the first time I went there. Steve came on at midnight, and played a set of entirely LP tracks including Freddie Butler's That's What I Wanted and Clydie King's I Need Your Love. He plays tracks I find fairly easy to dance to.

Mike Charlton followed Steve; then it was Gavin again. Tiredness overcame me at about 2.30 in the middle of Bob Cosby's second set and I went back to my B&B.

The following morning (Saturday), after breakfast, I went for a walk along the front and sat in a park for a while. Then back to the Raynscourt for the afternoon session. I was in time to hear Marcus, a regular at MonuMental, do a set, nice mix of familiar and unfamiliar tunes.

Then Alison and John Nightingale took over for an hour. I hadn't seen them DJ since Whitby weekender 2005 in the Modern room there. I can't remember the first track they played, mainly instrumental, but the second one was Harlem River Drive by Mardon Hill. It was one my wife heard at Whitby and she liked it, she was a big fan of instrumentals. Strange how a record without vocals can bring a lump to your throat, but it did. Ali and John always do a nice set, they included Kool Blues' Try Love Again, one I asked them about and then realised I'd got it. Writing this review reminds me that my memory must be really poor, so many good records heard, but so little titles remembered in the cold light of day.

Flanny, of the Orwell, took over at 3pm, and got me on my feet straightaway when he played the Parisians' Twinkle Little Star, a nice little mover, hope I was too, lol. He played some other nice ones too, the Sparktones' Lonely Man was just the sort of track I like to hear at a Northern do, and he also played Frank Wilson's unissued version of Tell Me, first time I've heard that out, great dance track.

After his set, Dave, his wife and I went out for some air and food; found quite a nice restaurant with an international cuisine menu. After a leisurely meal, I went back to shower and change, and then met Dave again at about 7.45, just in time for Steve Plumb's second set. Again he played a very danceable set, mainly Crossover. I must thank him for playing Without You Here and dedicating it to Lesley, very kind of him.

Steve was followed by Mike Charlton, Gavin Page, Gareth Donovan, Sean Hampsey and Bob Cosby. All played good sets, but mainly tracks I didn't know, so playlists please chaps. Gareth played a nice jazz track, he later told me the title, but I can't remember it now. Not one that I could dance to, but nice for just listening to.

Finally at 2am, it was time for Soul Sam, one of the UK's premier DJs. When I've seen him do a set before, it is normally at a Northern night, so I was interested in what he'd play at Yarmouth. He played some I knew: Joseph Webster (my request), Ellipsis, Mixed Feelings, sadly no Margaret Little, but that might well have been too Northern; but others were new to me including versions of What's Going On and Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now that I hadn't heard before, in fact, ANSUN sounded like it was something to do with a basketball or American football team. No doubt someone will tell me I've got it all wrong, nothing unusual there then. He also played Fluorescent Smogg, one I've only heard once before.

At 3pm Steve Guarnori took over, I danced a little bit more, but tiredness took over and I decided to go back to my bed.

The next morning I packed my case, had my breakfast and went out for a walk. At noon I went back to the Raynscourt for the final session, some nice slower sounds being played by Paul Thrower and Sean Hampsey. Then at about 2pm, we drove home to London. Dave dropped me off at about 4.15.

SE was a very enjoyable weekend, good music and friendly people. As I said above, I heard loads of good sounds, but naturally can't remember without a reminder. My one regret is that I didn't spend more time in the Lounge at the back; they were playing nice slower sounds in there when I did look in.

Thanks to the organisers and the DJs.

I hope no one minds but I'll be posting this on a couple of other forums I belong to.

Echoing everyone else's comments, once again a superb weekender - Many thanks to all involved.

Pat Biggerstaff :shades:

Here's my playlist from The Lounge - Saturday afternoon

Willie Johnson - It's Me (Savannah International)

Maurice Starr - When(I Thought It Was Over) (Catawba)

Oscar Hughes - One & Only Lover (Ethiopa)

Paragons - Con Me (Buddah issue)

Lee David - Dirty Work (Janus)

Jimmie 'Okera' Hightower - Love and Life (BCN)

Louise Freeman - How Could You Run Away (Shout)

Freeman Brothers - You Got Me On A String (International Allied)

The Supreme Jubilees - Standing In The Need Of Prayer (S&K LP)

Sanders & Co - It's Only A Matter Of Time (S&C LP)

David Ruffin - So Soon We Change (Warner Bros LP)

Loveman Ronnie Stokes - Lonely Boy (Philly City 12'')

Tommy Tate - Do You Think There's A Chance (Malaco LP)

Eddie Billups - Sweet Sweet Love (Solid Gold)

Lucky Jamal Davis - Love Is Better (Big City)

Jesse Green - Your Love (Eaglesound)

Al Christian - I'm A Lonely Man (Chant)

Edited by s7oul

What a fantastic weekend in the biggest Soul-Livingroom I have ever been. I enjoyed every minute of it. Such a friendly atmosphere, fantastic Soul Music (and of course one Jazz track in every set wink.gif ) and so wonderful people. This Bobby Womack song on sturday night ( runaway???) was one of the highlights for me, Steve Plumbs set on the saturday afternoon another. Songs from Tommy Tate, Willie Walker, Aretha Franklin( 4th April ??)....and other gems. A playlist would be great Steve! thumbsup.gif It was a nice experience to hear the whole spectrum of soulful songs in one place, doesn't matter which jear of release or on which format it is.Just good music from Mario Biondi ( TUNE!!!) to Leroy Hutson or New World.Thanks To Gavin and Bob and everybody who is involved to create this great weekender :D ,

special thanks to Gareth and his friends for having a drink on the saturday morning...................... :P See you all next yearTim

Guest stromberg

..finally recovered from the weekender and how fantastic it was! I somehow knew what to expect musically and of course I heard what I wanted to hear..great soulful music throughout the whole weekend. Just a shame I missed most of the saturday early afternoon and the lounge, due to sleep and need of fresh air/food, especially I was looking forward to the lounge room, but you can't have everything, I guess, I know better next time.

The social aspect was also just perfect, meeting people I didn't know before at all, people I only knew via e-mail before or people, well, in Angelo's case, I've known for nearly 15 years and haven't seen for years.

As it was my first time, I really liked the mixture of a cozy atmosphere, friendly people and great music.

The weather wasn't bad, either.

Thanks to all for making Tim and me very welcome; Steve, we should have come along with you to the Thai restaurant, the one we picked wasn't really nice..

And there needs something to be done about the proportion of, in my case, 25 hours of travelling and 36 hours of Soul Essence, especially the 14hours back were quite annoying, belated flight, missed the train etc.

Good start to that next year would be arriving earlier on friday :D

But it was worth every minute, thanks to Tim for being great company thumbsup.gif

Stefan (from germany)

Another brilliant weekend....best people, fab music all weekend......shame it all ends too quickly......

Here's my playlists - thanks as always for those who had nice words about my spots. Always really enjoy playing at Essence...the quality of the crowd giving us DJ's the confidence to play some of those things we've always wished to play out.

Friday Night 10-11pm

Ace Spectrum Moving On Atlantic LP

Gene Redding Gotta Find A Way (To Keep You Loving Me) Haven LP

Jesse James More Than A Friend Of Mine Gunsmoke LP

Maxi Lover To Lover Blue Note LP

Spaceark Phantom Lover Colorworld LP

Round Robin Monopoly I'd Rather Loan You Out Truth LP

Anthony Hamilton Change Your World Arista CD

Israel & New Breed Real Integrity CD

Jennifer Holliday It's In There Arista CD

James Bradley I Can't Get Enough Of Your Love TK 12"

Bobby Rush I'm Still Waiting London 45

Garland Green Don't Let Love Walk Out On Us RCA 45

Gene Chandler You're A Lady Mercury 45

Nobles Jealousy Vanguard 45

Sharon Paige New To You ABC 45

Saturday Night 11-12pm In play order

Norman Hutchins I Really Love You JDI CD

Maze feat Frankie Beverly Joy & Pain Capitol LP

Sweet Charles Yes It's You People LP

Hesitations Is This The Way To Treat A Girl GWP 45

Otis Leaville Love Uprising Atlantic 45

JP Robinson Keep Me Satisfied Blue Candle 45

Sampson & Delilah You Bring The Tears Polydor 45

Mario Biondi This Is What You Are Schema CD

Bill Summers It's On My Mind Prestige LP

Tommy Tate I Can't Do Enough For You Baby Malaco LP

Three Prophets I Think I Really Love You Together 45

Second Re$surrection You Done Let Daylight Catch You Stanson 45

Raw Soul Express The Way We Live Cat 45

Lamont Dozier Family WB LP

Four Tops (It's The Way) Nature Planned It Motown LP

Thoroughly enjoyed Mr Plumbs LP spot on Friday, one of the sets of the weekend.....gutted I missed Sat afternoon entirely but great laughs had in the conservatory on Sat morning til the sun was well & truly up. Sorry for keeping so many people awake...

Great drink and chat with the Orwellians v early Sun morning....almost ruined me !!! and Who ?? was the green thong clad streaker ????

Another year to wait for the next one..... sad.gif

Girf

Edited by Girthdevon
Guest marion

Tried Marion ??? succeeded, i'll have you know biggrin.gif twas a track by Sampson & Delilah on Polydor - see playlist below.....knew it was a tricky one but you gotta try haven't you :P

- some people just don't recognise a tune when they hear it, that's what I say. whistling.gif

Talking of tunes Girth, Bob Cosby played a very classy number, introduced it by saying 'stick with it, this is new' ~ who was that by? And, best not forget that instrumental track Soul Sam dropped ~ that certainly livened up the feet.... :D

Another brilliant weekend....best people, fab music all weekend......shame it all ends too quickly......

Saturday Night 11-12pm In play order

Norman Hutchins I Really Love You JDI CD

Maze feat Frankie Beverly Joy & Pain Capitol LP

Sweet Charles Yes It's You People LP

Hesitations Is This The Way To Treat A Girl GWP 45

Otis Leaville Love Uprising Atlantic 45

JP Robinson Keep Me Satisfied Blue Candle 45

Sampson & Delilah You Bring The Tears Polydor 45

Mario Biondi This Is What You Are Schema CD

Bill Summers It's On My Mind Prestige LP

Tommy Tate I Can't Do Enough For You Baby Malaco LP

Three Prophets I Think I Really Love You Together 45

Second Re$surrection You Done Let Daylight Catch You Stanson 45

Raw Soul Express The Way We Live Cat 45

Lamont Dozier Family WB LP

Four Tops (It's The Way) Nature Planned It Motown LP

Thoroughly enjoyed Mr Plumbs LP spot on Friday, one of the sets of the weekend.....gutted I missed Sat afternoon entirely but great laughs had in the conservatory on Sat morning til the sun was well & truly up. Sorry for keeping so many people awake...

Great drink and chat with the Orwellians v early Sun morning....almost ruined me !!! and Who ?? was the green thong clad streaker ????

Another year to wait for the next one..... :yes:

Girf

Hiya Gareth

Thanks for the compliment matey - it was great leaving the 45 box locked :unsure:

To return it, I absolutely loved your set on Saturday night - Just right in every respect! Lamont Dozier was the most pleasing part of the whole weekend for me, as it's a track from one of me favourite LP's of all time..........and I've NEVER heard it played out before BUT it sounded the DB's

Smithy nominated Norman Hutchins as one of his tracks of the weekend too :rolleyes:

Your rep as a JD hound was kept intact too as there must have been half a pint in that glass I gave you :wicked:

Just finished typing me playlist, will post it up in a bit.

Cheers

Steve

Think it's all been said..........TOP weekend, possibly me favourite Yarmouth EVER (and that's saying summat!)

Great tunes, great people, great crack...................and someone told me the weather was nice too! Must pop me head out the hotel one of these days!

So many highlights which i'll post later.

Thanks once again to Bob & Gav

Who was responsible for the 'TUNE' boards.................fantastic stuff!

Here's me playlist from Friday and Saturday

Steve Plumb - Yarmouth 25

Friday Night 11pm-Midnight

LP Tracks only!!!!!!!!!!

Clydene Jackson - I need your love - Crossover

Freddie Butler - That's when I need you - Kapp

Tempests - Someday - Smash

Eliminators - Loving explosion - BRC

Dells - Dont trick me treat me - Mercury

Trammps - Stop and think - Phil Int

Clyde McPhatter - Please give me one more chance - Decca

Archie Bell & The Drells - 1000 wonders - Atlantic

Spanky Wilson - Easy lover - Westbound

Tommie Young - I'm not going to cry anymore - Pvine

Jon Hendricks - Bet you never thought I'd find you - Arista

Khemistry - Can you feel my love - Columbia

Leroy Hutson - Get to this you'll get to me - Curtom

Mary Mundy - You put a hurtin' on me - Prism

Three Ounces Of Love - In the middle of a feeling - Motown

Lovelites - Certain kind of lover - Uni

Jesse Butler - Let my love bring out the woman in you - Southbound

Gene Townsel - I'm walking away - Dobre

Bobby Taylor - Don't be afraid - Gordy

Saturday Night 8pm-9pm

45's only!!!!!!!!!!

Impressions - Wherever she leadeth me - Curtom

Gene Chandler - Without you here - Curtom

Wee Willie Walker - I don't want to take a chance - Kent

Jimmy Burns - I tried - Minit

George Wilson - Come back to me - Stang

Nancy Butts - I want to hold your hand - Flaming Arrow

Charts - Nobody made me love you - Wand

French Coffey - Nothing from nothing - Pick a Hit

Chuck Mangione - As long as we're together - Mercury

Theodis Ealey - If you leave I'm going with you - Ichiban (on a 45!)

Teah Louise - You happened to me - Coastal

Aretha Franklin - April fool - Atlantic

Four Sonics - Easier said than done - Sport

Tommy Tate - I'm taking on pain - Okeh

Volumes - That same old feeling - Inferno

Summits - Can't get over losing you - Dontee

Young Devines - Ain't that sharp - Note

BJB - Gotta make you believe in me - Tee Ti

Satin - Your loves got me - Shell

Wilson Pickett - You can't stop a man in love - Atlantic (from a CD actually!)

Here's to #26

Cheers

Steve

Stevie Baby

Why don't ya post it on this thread too! We can keep all the playlists etc together in the one thread?

Cheers

Steve

Ok here goes....

These are my sets:

Friday 9-10 pm....a mix of known and lesser known

Jimmy Burns "I really love you" (Erica)

Bill Coday "A man can't be a man without a woman" (Epic)

Billy Proctor & Love System "Keeping up with the Joneses"(Epic)

G C Cameron "You're what's missing in my life"(Motown)

Frankie Kar'hl "Don't fan the flame"(Gordy)

Johnny Scott "Let me be a winner" (Portra)

Wizdom "I'm so in love with ytou" (Drive)

Al Dos Band "Doing our thing with pride"

Ron Van Horn "Got to get together" (Rav)

Roy Robbins "So much in love" (Sugar)

StarQuake "Don't you know I love you" (Starquake)

Daybreak "Stay" (cover up)

New World "We're gonna make it" (Polydor)

International Four "Equal love" (Diane)

Dwight Franklin "Foxy Lila" (Franklin)

Betty Wright "Tonight's the night" (Alston) dedicated to those fed up with the crappy Genesis version!

Summits "I can't get over losing you" (Dontee)

Minits "Still a part of me" (MGM SOM)

Ronnie McNeir "the good side of your love" (Tortoise Intl)

Saturday afternoon - a few claasix, then push the boat out

Silhouettes "Not me baby"

Freedom "High on you"

Steeplechase "Never coming back"

Trumains "Ripe for the Kicking"

Ad libs "I don't need no fortune teller"

Cloudburst "I'm loving you"

Jimmy Lee Jones "Love sweet love"

Guitar Ray "I wouldn't change it" (cover up)

Black Nasty "Make believe girl" (cover up)

Arvin Toillivers Pleasure Seekers "Come inside"

Extra Special People "It's a miracle" (was suggested I cover this one up, but as everyone knew it, there's no real point)

Flashlight "Get inside your mind" (Not on the LP - great Philly uptempo funky dancer)

Soul & Blues Union "Restless"

Santiago "Feeling good" (Bam-Boo) (old Mecca spin - sounding good again)

Steve Long "Your lips tell me go, your body says no"

Infinity "Queen of my universe"

Monofide "Time will change your mind"

Fish "This is life"

Wildflower "Sugar baby" (Dash - how many good records on this label?)

Dale Darby "Don't put our love off another day"

Velma Perkins "Yes my goodness yes" (Vee Allen)

Sam Dees "I found love in my own backyard"

Rozetta Johnson "How can I miss something I never had"

Don Thomas "Calling me home"

Floyd Beck "Don't trust him"

Richard Marks "Innocent bystander"

Gerald Wayne "Now I can see"

Bobby Jackson "I need you girl like a fire"

Bernard Drake "I've been untrue"

Saturday night PARTY..

Al Scott "What happened to yesterday"

Buddy Connor "When you're alone"

Eddie Billups "Ask my heart"

Marvin Gaye "Come get to this"

Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes "The love I lost"

Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes "Bad luck"

Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes "Satisfaction guaranteed"

Sex "It's you, baby it's you"

Freedom "High on you"

Jon Lucien "Would you believe"

G C Cameron "No matter where"

Sisters Love "Give me your love"

Chuck Propehett "Love love love"

Charles Mintz "Lucky guy"

Percy Stone & Explosions "Chained"

Natural 4 "Hanging on to a lie"

Barbara Stant "You've got to try it again"

Daybreak (cover up) - really hammering this one now!

Ultimates "Girl I've been trying to tell you"

Topics "Booking up baby"

Spinners "I'll be around"

Spinners "it's a shame"

Edwin Starr "Running back and forth"

Leroy Hutson "All because of you"

Jean Carn "Don't let it go to your head"

Corey Blake "How can I go home without you"

Mel Williams "Sweet girl of mine"

Bobby Sheen "Something new to do"

Bobby Kline "Say something nice to me"

Ty Karim "Lighten up"

Frank Dell "He broke your game wide open"

L J Reynolds "Key to the world"

Sam dees "Funny!"

Roosevelt Mathews / Billy Ball "You got me digging you"

Satin "Your love's got me"

Virgil Henry "you ain't saying nothing new"

Brand New "thousand years"

John Gary Williams "The whold damn world is going crazy"

Johnnie Mae Mathews "I have no choice"

Walter Wilson "Not now but later"

bonus record

Universal Love "It's you girl"

Here`s my little effort from the lounge Saturday afternoon:

Benny Johnson - Visions of paradise

Impressions - I`m a fool for love

MTW Express ft Marva Taylor - Nothing ide rather be than your weakness

Gene West - Free at last

Eddie Floyd - Can we talk it over

Caeser Frasier - Just a little bit longer

Millie Jackson - It`s easy going

Ronnie McNeir - Im your lover

Badwater Bridge - Don't take your love away

Bobby Hutton - Twenty years later

Willie Clayton - Best years of my life

Gerald Levert - In my song

Lemar - Baby I love you

MeLvin Williams - True Love

Norwood ft Jennifer Holliday - Easier said than done.

Trev

Guest Marcus B

Best weekender ever for me I think ! Top choons and laughs and too much to drink again...hehehe.

Girth it also took me 10 mins to realise I was knocking on wrong door for blowey too and he was down in the BAR. !!!

Here's my playlist for Saturday 1-2.

Playlist (not all correct order.)

Tony Owens - (When you're wrong )you got to pay the price

Phillip & Lloyd (Blues busters) - Baby I'm sorry

Rotations -If I could be like Columbus,where would we be

Michael Prowlte - What you're looking for is here

Archie Bell and the Drells - Girls grow up faster then boys

Houston Outlaws - What Am I going to do

Gangsters - I just can't go on

Faye Marshall - Broken Promises

Dyson's Faces - Don't worry bout the Jones

Jerry Warren - I Really Love you

M.J. Wade - I'm Gonna Ball Baby

Linda Tillery - Secrets

Prince Phillip Mitchell - I'm gonna build California from all over the land

Carl Sims - Smooth Ride

Tommy Tate - If I gave you my heart

Jewel Bass - Let you love rain down on me

Marcus - Love they don't know you

Mighty Pope - If you want a love affair

Brown Sugar - The game is over

Gerald Sims - You're never be sorry

Four Flights - All I want is you

Dee Dee Warwick - Funny How we've changed places

Bessie Banks - Don't you worry Baby,The best is yet to come

Larry Wedgeworth & Clique - No More games

Thanks again for everything special that SOUL ESSENCE brings us all and for Gav and Bob for asking me.

A very Happychappy,

Marcus

Well I cannot believe that it was my first visit to the Raynscourt Hotel! Felt like part of the furniture there - or was that looked like part of the furniture there - Well Worn and Comfy :unsure: !

Everybody that I spoke to, could not believe it either?

Really Enjoyed the Friday Night, but by 2.30 it started to become a drunken haze! And despite what Kev J Etheridge states, I was on my best behaviour , I had been under strict orders from the Ayatollah ( Melissa - My Missus ). Was Read the Best Behaviour Manual before we hit the Raynscourt! He may have suffered a little love tap! :boxing: But NOT the Real Deal!

Late Night Haze kicked in after 2.30 as I already previously stated! However I was still there talking Crap with the little gang in the conservatory near the deep room. ( Jayne & Tony, Paul Stead, Girth & Russ, Jock, German Tim etc, etc, ).

Saturday - woke up with the mother of all hangovers! at 11.30a.m. to my phone ringing. - Went for dinner in the greasiest cafe we could find on the Sea Front. Had to leave quite a bit of the meal swimming in grease on the plate. Then back across to the Raynscourt for the Beer Swilling Marathon that the saturday dinner session usually develops into!

Thank God it was only Carling Extra Cold and NOT Stella that I was bathing my tonsils in.

Had a really good afternoon, one of the highlights being the first hearing of Sam Dees and the AWESOME "I found love in my backyard". Tune!!!! Also caught quite a bit of Pat Biggerstaff's set in the deep room and enjoyed much of that.

Paul Stead introduced me to Boydy and George, had a couple of Beers with them before I went to the Marina to get changed for the evening meal at the Thai. Gave the Man Utd fans a bit of an ear bashing in the bar as I passed, siding up with my mate Dave (The Liverpool Fan who was outnumbered at the bar).

Met in the bar ten minutes later, and had a couple of pints before hitting the Thai Restaurant.

Had some grub, with Tats & Ali, Paul & Sonia Stead, Clare & Nicola & Jock, not forgetting the Ayatollah. We had quite an enjoyable meal, before we had a table of 4 turn on us for Tats constantly swearing as he told the others his collection of Bully Tales. ( Also the tale about Teff's Wan***g Budgie). They just wanted to enjoy a quiet meal, they complained after they had eaten their meal and where just about to pay. Jock took off his glasses and called the complaining man in a glasses a Speckie F**K! Not sure what that was all about Jock ?

Headed back to the Raynscourt and had a cracking Saturday Night, Top Spots by all and everyone, and to be quite honest, I did not hear a bad record all night. Each DJ played a spot of Magic. Girth the Sweet Charles - not stopped hummimg it since.

Sean Hampsey played a blinder, but the track of the night was the Sam Dees acetate - "Funny" which Steve G played for Sonia later that night in his spot. Sean played a blinding spot and to me that was the highlight. Steve G also played Johnnie Mae Matthews which is probably my favourite record!

But there were so many other tunes, Bob Cosby played a tune which I went to ask him what it was, and knocked the decks as I did - Happy Chap he wasn't - don't blame him really either! But I cannot for the life of me remember what the tune was!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Sam did a blinder and all in all what a great weekend was had by all, All I can say is that Hats Off to Bob & Sue Cosby and Gavin for what was a truly storming weekend, Roll On Next Year!

Did you really mean what you said about the Supplies next year Girth????????

Cheers

Bully :thumbsup::no::shades::D

Ok here goes....

These are my sets:

Betty Wright "Tonight's the night" (Alston) dedicated to those fed up with the crappy Genesis version!

Freedom "High on you"

Extra Special People "It's a miracle" (was suggested I cover this one up, but as everyone knew it, there's no real point)

Flashlight "Get inside your mind" (Not on the LP - great Philly uptempo funky dancer)

Fish "This is life"

Saturday night PARTY..

Freedom "High on you"

Topics "Booking up baby"

Spinners "it's a shame"

Ty Karim "Lighten up"

Sam dees "Funny!"

bonus record

SOME QUALITY TUNEAGE DROPPED THERE STEVE :thumbsup:thumbsup.gif:ohmy::(:lol:

roy robbins and al dos indeed

Guest mrs norman maine

Well it was fantastic, even better than last year. From the 'George Jackson' start right through to the finish. What a great bunch of people and sounds. Nice to see some old faces and meet some new ones.

Special thanks to:

- whoever played the Darrow Fletcher on the Sat night (and to Kev E, who told me

what it was: I've even managed to retain the information, for once in my silly life).

- Jock: good to see you again and thanks for the much-needed pep talk, appreciated

more than you'll ever know.

- Mr. G, for giving me an excuse to chat about Bernard Herrmann. I promise not to

stalk you anymore biggrin.gif

Louise, Binnsy (sic) and everyone else.

See you at Monumental Mr. Hampsey, Tats and Bully :unsure:

Guest Karen Heath

I cannot believe I missed this....it sounds like the best one ever, and without the usual requirements of mittens and bobble hat too!

It was all paid for and planned out but due to a series of miscellaneous traumas it was not to be. sad.gif

Does anyone else have photos so I can rub some more salt into my wounds? There only seem to be some from D'Arcy and they are all of Binsy and are identical! looking forward to seeing some more. :unsure:

Here ya go!

Saturday Night - The Midnight Hour!

John Legend - Each Day Gets Better

Daryl Hall - All By Myself

Dells - Closer

Al Green - Sha La La

Ann Peebles - If This Is Heaven

M J Wade - I'm Gonna Ball Baby

Sepandiya - Thank You

Sandra Wright - I'll Come Running Back

Aretha Franklin - Don't Let Me Lose This Dream

Towana - Wear Your Natural Baby

Tommy Tate - If You Got To Love Somebody

Luther Ingram - Trying To Find My Love

Bobby Womack - Runaway

Sam Dees - Funny

Chuck Jackson - What's With This Loneliness

Willie Tee - First Taste Of Hurt

Buddy Causey - There's A Way

Darrow Fletcher - It's No Mistake

Temptations - Beauty's Only Skin Deep

Betty Swann - I Want Sunday Back Again

Jean Wells - What Have I Got To Lose

Sunday Afternoon - Goodbye Songs

Lonie Jones - Treat Your Woman Right

Sam Baker - It's All Over

Otis Clay - I Paid The Price

Joe Graham - Somethings Wrong With our Love

Jimmy Tig - Everybody's Laffing

Al Green - True Love

Jean Plum - Look At The Boy

Na Allen - I was Telling Her About You

Brothers By Choice - How Much I Feel

Johnny Taylor - I Can Read Between The Lines

Donnie Ray - I Never Dreamed

Monique Ford - No Getting Over Me

Mike Avery - Miss Lady

Ace - If I Could Open Up My Heart

Latimore - One, Man, One Woman, One Love

Bobby Womack - I Don't Wanna Be Hurt By Your Love Again

Quenestine Strong - One Hundred Years From Now

Candi Staton - Too Hurt To Cry

Originals - I'm Someone Who Cares

Enchanted Five - Darling I Need You Now

Aretha Franklin - I Can't see Myself Leaving You

Barbara Hall - Drop My Heart Off At The Door

Think that's about it... but there may have been more. I'll add 'em later if I remember any.

It was great catching up with all the old faces... and meeting, for the first time, quite a few new ones.

I say it everytime, but this Soul Essence was 'probably' the best one ever... and I should know cos I've never missed one yet!

Heartfelt Congratulations and thanks to Bob & Gavin and all those that made it possible.

Only '360 sumfink' sleeps :unsure: until the next one folks!

biggrin.gif

Sean Hampsey

This was my first Soul Essence and I didn't fully know what to expect. Even more worrying was the fact that I was spinning records as part of the George Jackson collective on the Friday Afternoon. Talk about not feeling worthy!

My fears were wholly unfounded. I was blown away by the response of the people that turned up to indulge us. Sincere thanks for all the kindness shown to us Soul Essence rookies. This event is a national treasure. Long may it continue.

I'm sure the other Jacksonians will be posting their sets soon, but here's my meagre contribution.

Friday Afternoon in the Downbeat Lounge

It Tears Me Up - Percy Sledge (Atlantic)

Mirror Mirror On The Wall - The Saints (Revue)

This Is My Prayer - Billy Hambric (Fury)

I Still Love You - Jean Stanback (Peacock)

Please Take Me Back - The Masqueraders (Bell)

Salty Tears - Thelma Jones (CBS)

How Can You Put Out The Flame - Candi Staton (Fame)

Just Out of My Reach - Sam Dees (Atlantic)

The Dark End of the Street - James Carr (Goldwax)

I Need You - Chuck Jackson (Pye International)

I Need You Baby - Arthur Alexander (Monument)

It's An Uphill Climb to the Bottom - Walter Jackson (Okeh)

So Very Hard To Make It - Paul Burton (Music-Go-Round)

Train Start Moving - Don Thomas (NuVJ)

Give it To Me - Mike James Kirkland (Bryan)

First Taste Of Hurt - Willie Tee (Gatur)

Peace of Mind - Rance Allen Group (Capitol)

What Have I Got To Lose - Jean Wells (Calla)

I Want My Baby Back - The Ethics (Vent)

Baby I'm Gonna Love You - Phylis Hyman (Desert Moon)

I Can't Go Without You - Dorothy Morrison (Brown Door)

Can't Live Without You - Connie Laverne (GSF)

Independent Woman (Part 2) - Jan Jones (Day-Wood)

Edited by sweeney

Here's my contribution as part of the George Jackson mob. Again my first Soul Essence. Unfortunately I had to leave early on Saturday, but thoroughly enjoyed the time I was there. I could not quite believe the standing ovation. Many, many, thanks to you all. You made my day.

Friday Afternoon in the Downbeat Lounge : George Jackson Collective

Jaibi - You Got Me - Kapp (French P/S)

Jeannie Reynolds & The Re-leets - I Don't Mess Around - Washington

Oscar Toney Jr. - I Wouldn't Be A Poor Boy - Capricorn

Bobby Thomas - The Road Is Rough - Boblo

Walter Rhodes - I Worship The Ground You Walk On - Mascot

Jimmy Armstrong - You're Getting Next To Me Baby - Two Brothers

Jimmy Armstrong - I'm About To Say Goodbye - Shrine

Al Johnson - Love Waits For No Man - South Camp

Willie Tee - My Heart Remembers - Nola

Ann Peebles - Give Me Some Credit - Hi

Wee Willie Walker - I Don't Want To Take A Chance - (Unissued Goldwax) Vivid Sound LP

John Edwards - It's Those Little Things That Count - Bell

Towana & The Total Destruction - Wear Your Natural Baby - Romark

Aretha Franklin - You Got All The Aces - Atlantic LP

Ciff Gober - Poor Wayfaring Stranger- Calvary

Edited by noss

Another fantastic Essence. Too many highlights from all deejays to list, and as the other George Jackson boys have said, a privilege to be asked to play. Knew it was going to be a fun weekend from the moment I walked through the door, stretched out my hand to shake Gav's and my record box promptly disintegrated, depositing the contents on the hallowed Raynscourt turf. Good comedy writes itself, as they say.

Anyhow, a few tunes:

The Ordells "Sippin' A Cup Of Coffee" (Dionn)

Gene & Eddie "Darling I Love You" (Ru-Jac)

Timmy Norman "I'm Coming Home" (Bronze)

Lee Mitchell "How Can You Be So Cold" (HL&M)

Thomas Bailey "Wish I Was Back" (Federal)

Johnny Truitt "Baby, I Need You" (A-Bet)

Barbara Brown "Can't Find No Happiness" (Atco)

Vivilore Jordan "What You Gonna Do" (Boblo)

The Blue Notes "This Time Will Be Different" (Uni)

Bobby Womack "Baby, I Can't Stand It" (Minit)

Willie Walker "Reaching For The Real Thing" (Hi)

L.J. Reynolds & The Relations "Stop, Look Over Your Past" (Monique)

John Freeman & Almeta Latimore "I Need You" (VR)

Tony Borders "Promise To Myself" (Quinvy)

Tony Lampkin "Trouble Being A Man" (SRI)

Frank Hutson & The Exposures "Old Man Me" (Goodie Train)

Herman Hitson "You Can't Keep A Good Man Down" (Sweet Rose)

Gwen McCrae "I'm Losing The Feeling" (Columbia)

Gwen McCrae "I Found A Love" (Cat)

Kim Tolliver "I'm Losing The Feeling" (Chess)

Benny Latimore "Have A Little Faith" (Dade)

Edited by garethx

Ok here goes....

These are my sets:

Freedom "High on you"

Fish "This is life"

Saturday night PARTY..

Freedom "High on you"

Topics "Booking up baby"

Spinners "it's a shame"

Ty Karim "Lighten up"

Sam dees "Funny!"

bonus record

NICE playlists, saliving all over the keyboard. :unsure:

I can't add anything new to what has been said, just fantastic, great spots all over the place.

Particularly enjoyed Sean Hampseys sets, but pretty much every spot was excellent.

Anyway this was my spot in the downbeat lounge as part of the George Jackson collective

Ben E king & Dee dee sharp- whatcha gonna do about it

Brenton Wood - Two time loser

New Birth- Mr dream merchant

Jean Plum -Here I go again

Ovations - Sweet thing

Charlene & Soul serenaders - Love changes

Betty Wright- Who'll be the fool

Denise Lasalle - Married but not to each other

Ernie Hines -Electrified love

Sensations Wild -You got to love somebody

George Jackson - How can I get next to you

Al Williams - The other side of your love

Dells/Dramatics- Love is missing from our lives

Charades - Never set you free

Herman George -What have you got

Chuck Armstrong -A better place

Willie Johnson -It's got to be the night

Lee Jones & sound of soul -This heart is haunted

Joe Tex - All the heaven a man really needs

Joe Chapman - Beautiful lover

Ollie Nightingale - I don't know why

Lovelites -Not like the others

Frankie Gearing -Say you love me

Phillip Mitchell - Falling from heaven

Candi Staton -Can't stop being your fool

Benny Johnson -Give it up

Ann Sexton - I'm his wife

Frankie Gearing - Teardrops

I am now regretting not spending some more time in the lounge after reading the playlists, some great tracks there. Salty Tears is one of my favourite slow soul records.

I went to the George Jackson night a couple of times when it was at the Smersh bar, any chance of it starting up again?

I am now regretting not spending some more time in the lounge after reading the playlists, some great tracks there. Salty Tears is one of my favourite slow soul records.

I went to the George Jackson night a couple of times when it was at the Smersh bar, any chance of it starting up again?

Hi Troops;

The 'George Jackson' guys played a blinder and whilst I was spinning tunes in the main room as part of my now normal 5 hour welcome set, my spies kept me informed, the high quality was maintained throughout Saturday too, a personal thankyou to all the spinners in this years 'lounge' which has helped maintain its position as the number one room for all things soulfull.

Gouch

Hi Troops;

The 'George Jackson' guys played a blinder and whilst I was spinning tunes in the main room as part of my now normal 5 hour welcome set, my spies kept me informed, the high quality was maintained throughout Saturday too, a personal thankyou to all the spinners in this years 'lounge' which has helped maintain its position as the number one room for all things soulfull.

Gouch

Thanks Brian for giving us a chance to play to such a knowledgable crowd. We all got a real buzz out of it and can't wait to come back :thumbsup:

Hi Troops;

Gouch

Thanks for the kind words Brian. It was a true honour to have been able to play in the legendary Downbeat Lounge.

Edited by sweeney

Whilst they're still in me head - A few Yarmouth favourite moments for me

Great tuneage all weekend!

Great people all weekend!

Great company all weekend!

Smiling chatting dancing and drinking all weekend!

Buying records!

Selling records!

Getting away with an hour of LP only tracks on Friday night!

The 'TUNE' boards!

All the DJ's in the main room (couldn't venture into the Lounge cos of the record stall!)

Saturday afternoon collectors incl Flanny shaking it up a wee bit!

Lamont Dozier 'Family' from Girth in his excellent Saturday night set!

Bobby Womack acetate from Sean Hampsey in his excellent Saturday night set!

Gene West & Michael Rainey from Mike Charlton both nights!

Mario Bionde sounding fantastic!

bulmeisterian1 :-)

The 'snug'

The Orwellian meeting with a Monumental guest!

A Jazz or Northern selection in many sets!

Gary E seemingly in the centre of the dancefloor all weekend!

Brian Goucher 'ramming' the dance floor at 7.45pm Saturday!

Playing me top 3 record room spins on Saturday night!

Steve G's party selection on Sunday morning!

I'm sure there's loads more..............

Downside

Went too quick (as usual!)

Cheers

Steve

Sandwhiched between the awsome Trev Cox and the sublime Pat Biggerstaff's spots was my miniscule contribution to another brilliant weekend at Soul Essence.

The Informations "I'm holding you responsible" Date

The Tripps "Here comes those heartaches" Victoria

Butch & Newports "Out of my hands" Black Rock

Chuck Armstrong "How sweet it is" SS7

Brenton Wood "I want love" Brent

Marvin Gaye "Its madness" Columbia

Reason Why "So long letter" Polydor

Soul Children "Midnight sunshine" Epic

Soul Bros Six "I cant live without you" Atlantic

Gene Chandler "To be a lover" Checker

Obrey Wilson "My ancestors" Columbia

Ann Sexton "Come on home" 77

Don Gardner "Your love is driving me crazy" Mr G

Linda Jones "What've I done" Loma

Freddie Scott "One heartache too many" Columbia

Donnie Elbert "In between the heartaches" Polydor

Timmy Willis "Give me a little sign" Epic

Bill Wright "A man in love" Midtown

Ron Kenoly "Take it easy" Audio Forty

Thanks Brian for the chance to play a few of my faves, any of the other djs fancy a cd swop??

Roll on April 08

Blake Helliwell

Guest Gavin Page

Whilst they're still in me head - A few Yarmouth favourite moments for me

Great tuneage all weekend!

Great people all weekend!

Great company all weekend!

Smiling chatting dancing and drinking all weekend!

Buying records!

Selling records!

Getting away with an hour of LP only tracks on Friday night!

The 'TUNE' boards!

All the DJ's in the main room (couldn't venture into the Lounge cos of the record stall!)

Saturday afternoon collectors incl Flanny shaking it up a wee bit!

Lamont Dozier 'Family' from Girth in his excellent Saturday night set!

Bobby Womack acetate from Sean Hampsey in his excellent Saturday night set!

Gene West & Michael Rainey from Mike Charlton both nights!

Mario Bionde sounding fantastic!

bulmeisterian1 :-)

The 'snug'

The Orwellian meeting with a Monumental guest!

A Jazz or Northern selection in many sets!

Gary E seemingly in the centre of the dancefloor all weekend!

Brian Goucher 'ramming' the dance floor at 7.45pm Saturday!

Playing me top 3 record room spins on Saturday night!

Steve G's party selection on Sunday morning!

I'm sure there's loads more..............

Downside

Went too quick (as usual!)

Cheers

Steve

And that certain comment :wicked:

Guest Gavin Page

It is always so hard to know what to say after every Essence -

Thank You, Paul and Donna (Hotel Owners)

Thank You, Ken (Door Man)

Thank You, Bob And Sue

Chris James the Sound Man

Thanks to all the Djs for making it what it is !

Big Thanks to Brian again ! For sorting the Dead Beat Lounge :wicked:

And lastly thanks to all that came to our little soul house party.

N.B

Thank you to everybody for there kind words to Gill after her sad news on Sunday.

Guest alison

Only just feeling halfway human again - we'll dig the playbox out later and try to suss out what we played on Saturday afternoon. There was some Osama Bin Laden record that I was very iffy about us spinning (well actually it was Charles Abdul Khaliq) but it sounded so Yarmouth !

Is Jilly OK Gav ?

Ali x

Edited by alison

Source Advert