Counts On Shrine

THE COUNTS - PEACHES BABY/MY ONE AND ONLY LOVE . I know that Andy Rix located a copy that arrived cracked ! But does anyone know who currently owns the other copies? Got a feeling there are 2 other copies in the US , but not sure??? Anyone know??

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Seagrave

Surely this is still one of the few genuine 'ONE COPY ONLY' northern soul records which was produced for release with a proper label on. At least, as far as is known to us soulies who talk about such things.

Andy Rix's copy was not just cracked - according to the Kent CD sleevenotes it arrived in 6 pieces, and there is a photo of it in its broken state in Togetherness mag (issue 13, page 74), so it can't count (excuse the pun!) as a copy in any meaningful sense.

Unless someone is aware of another copy turning up since Lew's copy was used to dub Peaches Baby onto the CD in 2002, then Lew's must be the only one.

Fantastic 'proper' uptempo northern soul too IMHO.

Should have been mentioned in the 'Rarest' thread really, being the rarest item from the Shrine label (until others turn up?!?).

And, referring to another thread, I guess even the great Butch hasn't got one tucked away somewhere!?

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

J. lynn from the USA...Just out of curiosity could someone venture a guess as to what a nice copy of the Counts on shrine would fetch to the right buyer?

Social source share

Guest Seagrave

To the 'right buyer' anyone's guess??

Northern soul / one copy / Shrine: Stick it on Manship's auction with a bit of his sales pitch and it could go sky high. Would be fun to watch!

How many 'serious' Shrine collectors are there?

Social source share

To the 'right buyer' anyone's guess??

Northern soul / one copy / Shrine: Stick it on Manship's auction with a bit of his sales pitch and it could go sky high. Would be fun to watch!

How many 'serious' Shrine collectors are there?

the poster already put it on ebay, it's there now. the record is cracked though.

Social source share

Surely this is still one of the few genuine 'ONE COPY ONLY' northern soul records which was produced for release with a proper label on. At least, as far as is known to us soulies who talk about such things

More copies than people think...before Lew Stanley one certain Mike from CA sold one (along a copy of JD Bryant) to the UK around 2004...Mick H plays it out from tim eto time so he must have a copy (maybe the same one ?) plus there already was one on ebay before this copy....so its not a one copy only game but still a dead rare 45 that makes the Cautions look like as rare as sand in the desert :thumbsup:

Social source share

More copies than people think...before Lew Stanley one certain Mike from CA sold one (along a copy of JD Bryant) to the UK around 2004...Mick H plays it out from tim eto time so he must have a copy (maybe the same one ?) plus there already was one on ebay before this copy....so its not a one copy only game but still a dead rare 45 that makes the Cautions look like as rare as sand in the desert :D

I thought it was the Prophets Mike Noreaga had along with JD Bryant. Thats what Mick plays out.

Social source share

went for silly money but check out the winners feedback. :D

How weird - I could swear that the feedback was showing when I checked the auction at its end, but its now private - is it a soul sourcer who read your post :thumbsup::D:P

Social source share

How weird - I could swear that the feedback was showing when I checked the auction at its end, but its now private - is it a soul sourcer who read your post :D:thumbsup::D

how strange that. the feedback was there when i read it.

Social source share

More copies than people think...before Lew Stanley one certain Mike from CA sold one (along a copy of JD Bryant) to the UK around 2004...Mick H plays it out from tim eto time so he must have a copy (maybe the same one ?) plus there already was one on ebay before this copy....so its not a one copy only game but still a dead rare 45 that makes the Cautions look like as rare as sand in the desert :thumbsup:

I saw an extensive Shrine collection in Washington DC in early '80s at the home of Maxx Carl Kidd who was then Trouble Funks' manager. He had produced and written for Shrine - Prophets, Eddie Daye etc. Nearly 100% sure that The Counts was in there but I was more fixated with DC Blossoms at the time, it was on an old wants list since Levine played it at Mecca. May well have missed a golden opportunity.

Social source share

I thought it was the Prophets Mike Noreaga had along with JD Bryant.

He had the Counts as well as Prophets & J.D.Bryant when I was round his house about 4 or 5 years ago. We went down the bank where he had them in a safe. He was trying to complete the full set, I sold him one or two & he just needed one of the smaller price ones to complete. He then said he'd sell me the full set, but it was a lot of money. The Counts was a nice copy, but too expensive. They're all gone now from what i've heard.

Social source share

Guest Seagrave

So, at $6,776 (approx £3,500) have we established a new world record for a cracked 45 then?!!

Was considering a bid on it myself, but decided that the crack was never going to get any better and over time would most likely get worse.

Agree with Soulfulsaint - D C Blossoms absolutely stunning record! Hardly ever see it for sale. Never knew Ian Levine played it at the Mecca. What year would that have been? And was it the first Shrine 45 to be played in the Northern Soul clubs?

Social source share

I sold a cracked copy of Len Jewel Teri De that clicked loud on every revolution for £1750

Remember him calling into Hammie's do on the way back home after just picking it up off you Ted. Looked like the crack had moved so it didn't line up, probably just needed pushing back together, remember us all saying at the time well it's o.k. you probably only give fifty quid for it ohmy.gif

Wasn't that the copy that Steve Cooper got off Len Jewell in the mid 70's? Then did I see it on that guy up your ways list, Andrew Spencer ?

Social source share

Agree with Soulfulsaint - D C Blossoms absolutely stunning record! Hardly ever see it for sale. Never knew Ian Levine played it at the Mecca. What year would that have been? And was it the first Shrine 45 to be played in the Northern Soul clubs?

For me the D.C.Blossoms "i know about her" is the best Shrine. Really like Sidney Hall's "I'm a lover" as well.

Social source share

Remember him calling into Hammie's do on the way back home after just picking it up off you Ted. Looked like the crack had moved so it didn't line up, probably just needed pushing back together, remember us all saying at the time well it's o.k. you probably only give fifty quid for it ohmy.gif

Wasn't that the copy that Steve Cooper got off Len Jewell in the mid 70's? Then did I see it on that guy up your ways list, Andrew Spencer ?

I was selling him the Kell Osborne so i took the LJ with me knowing he had offered Carl F a lot for the mint LJ. when he saw the B side was different to the Fontana copy he realy got excited even thou there was masking tape holding it together. It had never played with out clicking and never would, got it of Andy at the same time as Kell Osborne £150 for the pair (£7250)

Social source share

I was selling him the Kell Osborne so i took the LJ with me knowing he had offered Carl F a lot for the mint LJ. when he saw the B side was different to the Fontana copy he realy got excited even thou there was masking tape holding it together. It had never played with out clicking and never would, got it of Andy at the same time as Kell Osborne £150 for the pair (£7250)

Just a modest profit then Ted, £7,100 :thumbsup: don't know how you can sleep at nights rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Guest Seagrave

For me the D.C.Blossoms "i know about her" is the best Shrine. Really like Sidney Hall's "I'm a lover" as well.

Agree completely Pottsy. The DC Blossoms flip is subtle and classy and has amazing anguished vocals. And beat ballads aren't normally my favourite thing, but that Sidney Hall is in a class of it's own!

Anyone got a Sidney Hall they'd like to sell me?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert