Just An Observation But

I'm not selling any 45s here so I'm hoping this is the right forum for this, if not could the moderators please move to correct one. Ta.

I buy records on a daily basis, I sell odd bits too, but wouldn't class myself as a dealer as I only do it to raise dosh for more records for my collection. I receive lists from all over, probably 10 a day at least, as well as checking the usual online locations same as everyone else I expect. I am one of those colectors who after 30 yeras has learnt that patience is a virtue and so I tend to wait for stuff, as I know, just like London buses, usually three will be along sometime in the future. So, here's my observation.

There's a lot of folks "chancing it" with their sales in the sales sections at the moment dont you think? It's becoming like a series of "reverse" auctions. Put summat up at a ridulous price and see if some Herbert bites, if not, drop it a bit a few days/weeks later and see what happens.

People who own the said overpriced records then come on and bolster the price by saying I would rate it at..(insert insane amount here), simply because

a. They personally paid too much for theirs.

or

b. They bought theirs from a source that is 50% dearer than the majority of collectors.

or

c. They have one and everyone likes to think they got a bargain.

I used to buy quite regularly from S Sourcers, but have only bought 2 in the last 3/4 months and they were both at top prices, (but were absolute MINTERS though, which is important to me).

So here's a question? What percentage of sales on S Source do folks think actually sell? It'd be better if dealers allowed a few non dealers/collectors to chip in before claiming that you can only speak for yourself, but you sell 95% of your stuff. whistling.gif

Not wishing any confrontation with any dealers, (God Forbid! I might need you in the future :no: ), just looking at a trend and wondering if any other collectors have any thoughts? Or have I dreamt it all? :yes:

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

waiting can't hurt you, I know you'll make some how! biggrin.gif

Hang on in there Dave. thumbsup.gif

Would think any members are free to use sales section and folk buy em or they don't. Where's the biggie? :yes:

Yep,

No biggie Mate, Take it or leave it. That's exactly what I do. :no:

Just an observation is all.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

Social source share

I'm not selling any 45s here so I'm hoping this is the right forum for this, if not could the moderators please move to correct one. Ta.

I buy records on a daily basis, I sell odd bits too, but wouldn't class myself as a dealer as I only do it to raise dosh for more records for my collection. I receive lists from all over, probably 10 a day at least, as well as checking the usual online locations same as everyone else I expect. I am one of those colectors who after 30 yeras has learnt that patience is a virtue and so I tend to wait for stuff, as I know, just like London buses, usually three will be along sometime in the future. So, here's my observation.

There's a lot of folks "chancing it" with their sales in the sales sections at the moment dont you think? It's becoming like a series of "reverse" auctions. Put summat up at a ridulous price and see if some Herbert bites, if not, drop it a bit a few days/weeks later and see what happens.

People who own the said overpriced records then come on and bolster the price by saying I would rate it at..(insert insane amount here), simply because

a. They personally paid too much for theirs.

or

b. They bought theirs from a source that is 50% dearer than the majority of collectors.

or

c. They have one and everyone likes to think they got a bargain.

I used to buy quite regularly from S Sourcers, but have only bought 2 in the last 3/4 months and they were both at top prices, (but were absolute MINTERS though, which is important to me).

So here's a question? What percentage of sales on S Source do folks think actually sell? It'd be better if dealers allowed a few non dealers/collectors to chip in before claiming that you can only speak for yourself, but you sell 95% of your stuff. whistling.gif

Not wishing any confrontation with any dealers, (God Forbid! I might need you in the future :no: ), just looking at a trend and wondering if any other collectors have any thoughts? Or have I dreamt it all? :yes:

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

I think people's prices are insane here. However, it's also probably not worth saying anything -- if certain people are going to list the same records for months or even a year (often putting them on ebay at impossible starting bids, then back here, then back on ebay) and not figure out that their prices are ridiculous (probably blaming everyone else for being jerks somehow), they're not going to listen to your post either. I still lurk and occasionally pay up for something I want (it's always still more than it would be on ebay though), but I'm also a heavy buyer and very few of my purchases are from here.

Social source share

Guest Tommy

See exactly what your saying Dave. What gets to me more than big prices is; "Offers". Seems like approximately 5 out of 10 records for "sale" (apparently for sale) are offers only. I admit i've used the Offers route a couple of times myself, due to not knowing a price on a certain record, or if condition is down and not knowing what a sensible price would be. However, putting offers on records that have well established prices really does amaze me...

Social source share

Guest moggy

See exactly what your saying Dave. What gets to me more than big prices is; "Offers". Seems like approximately 5 out of 10 records for "sale" (apparently for sale) are offers only. I admit i've used the Offers route a couple of times myself, due to not knowing a price on a certain record, or if condition is down and not knowing what a sensible price would be. However, putting offers on records that have well established prices really does amaze me...

Tommy

I made an offer only the other day mate, on a record thats hard to find, I put in an offer well below

going rate, at least a third cheaper, and made the deal, and was well pleased, and yes I knew the going rate,

I understand some of the pricing is top end, but you also have to realise, a lot of stuff put up for sale is a lot cheaper than you would find elsewhere, due to the fact some members need the cash & they need it fast, so I do think it works both ways

Bloody hell every week after JMs finishing prices are posted, we always see folk post remarks about, I wouldnt pay that, or I sold mine a lot cheaper, ie there always moaning how much he got

At the end of the day, its a service to members, you either take it or leave it, there are a lot of good, hard to find records that crop up in sales, so if you want something that bad well sometimes you have to pay, or you could just wait, at the end of the day its your choice,

I havent tried it yet, but I am sure a lot of sellers on here, accept an offer well below there set prices, which are on the whole nearly always less than current going rates, unless its a mega rare choon

Only my opiniun mate thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Tommy

Tommy

I made an offer only the other day mate, on a record thats hard to find, I put in an offer well below

going rate, at least a third cheaper, and made the deal, and was well pleased, and yes I knew the going rate,

I understand some of the pricing is top end, but you also have to realise, a lot of stuff put up for sale is a lot cheaper than you would find elsewhere, due to the fact some members need the cash & they need it fast, so I do think it works both ways

Bloody hell every week after JMs finishing prices are posted, we always see folk post remarks about, I wouldnt pay that, or I sold mine a lot cheaper, ie there always moaning how much he got

At the end of the day, its a service to members, you either take it or leave it, there are a lot of good, hard to find records that crop up in sales, so if you want something that bad well sometimes you have to pay, or you could just wait, at the end of the day its your choice,

I havent tried it yet, but I am sure a lot of sellers on here, accept an offer well below there set prices, which are on the whole nearly always less than current going rates, unless its a mega rare choon

Only my opiniun mate :thumbsup:

Totally agree Moggy. At the end of the day it's a take it or leave it thing. But what i'm saying is (and this has nothing to do with high prices) i'm sick to death of clicking on a post to find that most of the records on the sales list are 'offers'. I understand the whole offers route if it's a tough record, but having to e-mail the seller to see what the offer is so far, and to establish if i would even want to then have a go at it seems a complete waste of an e-mail when the seller is e-mailing me back saying "offers so far are..."; and 9 times out of 10 i think to myself, "well for that price, why the hell havent you sold it yet?".

All i'm saying is, it'll be nicer to see more $--- than $offers, in my opinion of course.

Social source share

We've all seen records overpriced on here. Most know a reasonable value for a record. Everyone knows about Popsike - therefore those that shoot to high will miss and have to go the 'bump' route, usually followed by a price reduction.

Offers thing, well some of the time these may be things people have had for years and are unsure of the current value and they don't want to sell themselves short, so they put offers on it. Still room there though to pick up a bargain maybe?

Just think anyway you slice it, it kind of comes out even. And the overpricing loons, well maybe they'll know better next time?

Having bought and sold records on ss many times, can safely say, (touch desk) I've never had a problem.

If the Sales forum was suddenly done away with, I'd be more than a bit miffed to be honest...

Social source share

As a dealer, I'm often left open mouthed by the prices a lot of people selling on here charge and wouldn't dream of attempting to sell records at those prices. Often you want to comment and say "you're having a laugh" but you get accused of sabotaging sales lists when you're really trying to stop people being ripped off.

If I ask 100 quid for a record and it doesn't sell, next week it's 80 quid. Then 60 quid. And it goes down and down til I reach what I paid for it, then it disappears for a few months.

Social source share

I had better be careful here as I get my head bitten off when questioning a price.

It amazes me how most of the records on here are exactly the same from different people as they are just using the price guide. At a car boot sale I sell things to get rid of them not to look flashy! Pete S is one of the few dealers who shows at least some imagination around the price of buying and selling records!

Its all well & good saying the record is worth what someone is prepared to pay- Does that mean that if it does not sell its worth nothing!

Rod bought George Carrow off me here afew months back and admitted he thought it was abit cheap at £25.00 as its probably worth £35-£40 based on rarity popular listening etc. - I was dumbstruck when someone on here or on behalf of somebody else was selling it for over a £100.00 The gap in the 2 prices is just too wide and deserves critical appraisal! Thats what this forum is for IMO! and hopefully should temper members to be realistic with their prices!

Social source share

I had better be careful here as I get my head bitten off when questioning a price.

It amazes me how most of the records on here are exactly the same from different people as they are just using the price guide. At a car boot sale I sell things to get rid of them not to look flashy! Pete S is one of the few dealers who shows at least some imagination around the price of buying and selling records!

Its all well & good saying the record is worth what someone is prepared to pay- Does that mean that if it does not sell its worth nothing!

Rod bought George Carrow off me here afew months back and admitted he thought it was abit cheap at £25.00 as its probably worth £35-£40 based on rarity popular listening etc. - I was dumbstruck when someone on here or on behalf of somebody else was selling it for over a £100.00 The gap in the 2 prices is just too wide and deserves critical appraisal! Thats what this forum is for IMO! and hopefully should temper members to be realistic with their prices!

I got a George Carrow off ebay last week for about £25 - it'll go on the list at £50 to start with.

It is a real shame that prices can't be discussed, the worst case was the chap last week selling common pressings for £20 upwards, as a way of a comment the next day I put out a list of many of the same things but with everything at a fiver each. But you know what, I bet he sold more. Why for goodness sake??

Social source share

As a collector, who only sells duplicates I'd make the following comment records are listed at different prices because they are worth different amounts to the person selling them. I rarely list items here or on ebay but often have a small box out with me for sales. If I take the box out and don't sell anything I don't care particularly. If I price something at say £50 I may sell it at £40 if offered that for it or I may just prefer to keep it sometimes it's nicer to have multiple copies of things than a few more quid in the bank. I've sometimes sold records at the prevailing going rate and regreated it because in hindsight they were worth more to me than the going rate some times I've done the reverse. I sold a spare of E. Lampkins - Music Turn Me Loose on here in response to a want being posted, I've never seen one for sale, most people don't know it, it's not listed in any price guide I let it go for £50 I don't regret that even though I've been offered many times that for my other copy since because to me it was worth £50.

A record isn't just worth what someone will pay for it, it is also worth what the seller will not sell it below (at least to the seller).

Dealer's are different to them it's stock and there little point in having dead stock lying around tying up cash that can be invested in other stock that will turnover more quickly.

Social source share

I did notice on here one member ask for value of a couple of records (graded as vg++). The values other members put on them were approximately £300 & £400. Then the member lists them both for sale at £500 & £550. Not only that, but the ones for sale are graded as NM. :huh:

Why ask for values if you're going to disregard them? Why not just stick the price on them that you want for them?

As for buying off here I haven't had any problems previously, but saying that I'm still waiting for one record that I sent off for on 25 May (I must stress that the seller isn't a SS member). :ohmy:

Social source share

i was talking to a dealer that i no longer use and he said that it was easier to make £50 selling a over priced record than trying to sell 10 records making a fiver on each or five records and make a tenner on them.

he said with the amount of wanna be djs there is always one who is prepared to pay top wack to get a tune in his box before others.

he said you can always come down in price and then the buyer thinks hes got a good deal but once you have given a starting price you cant go upwards

now why do you think i dont use him anymore ?

Edited by davidwapples
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I will pay what i think is right for me and sometimes i have probably paid a bit over the top at that time but not for one you see pop up for sale on a regular basis as i would prefer to wait until next time and hopefully get it then at the right price but ive also paid well under the current value too,

Buying tunes is a supply and demand and if someone wants a tune enough then its up to them if they pay more than whats its worth or less, is it really that much difference between buying cars or houses ?

Social source share

Guest kent soul club

is it really that much difference between buying cars or houses ?

Yeah, your missus knows how much the house cost. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Dante

I mostly list Mexican editions, so for the 98.00% of them there is no price list anywhere, so they're way more difficult to price. I ussually put the price on them according to the rarity and comparing with Us records of the same availability and priced mexican records. For example, a mexican edition I see alot goes around the 10 mark, and If I found a record I've never seen or heard of, I'll list it at30-40 tops. I also accept offers on them 'cause the price I putted might be totally out of place...

Cheers

Dante

Social source share

As a dealer, I'm often left open mouthed by the prices a lot of people selling on here charge and wouldn't dream of attempting to sell records at those prices. Often you want to comment and say "you're having a laugh" but you get accused of sabotaging sales lists when you're really trying to stop people being ripped off.

If I ask 100 quid for a record and it doesn't sell, next week it's 80 quid. Then 60 quid. And it goes down and down til I reach what I paid for it, then it disappears for a few months.

I think you're missing the point a bit Pete, most sellers on here are collectors like me who only sell to fund other wants. Usually, I only ask for the same amount (and in some cases less) that I paid for the record in the first place. This is done on the basis that if I can't get most of my money back for any particular record then I'd rather just put it back in my collection. If you're not making a living from it then there's no need to discount records by as much as 50% just to shift them out.

Can't speak for anyone else but I've sold and traded a lot of stuff in the past without too much difficulty but would have to say that money seems very tight with everyone at the moment and most dealers I have spoken to aren't selling much at the moment either. Cleethorpes the other week was a good example, most dealers said that they had hardly sold anything much.

Social source share

Good topic! Got a few opinions on this myself shades.gif

As a seller I buy records to sell to fund the purchase of other records, I also sometimes sell stuff from my collection that I don't want any more but again it is to fund other purchases. Pricing records is pretty hard really as I find there is only an accepted "going rate" for records that are around the 50-100 quid level. Particularly these days when people will blow 20 on a boot quite happily, and also 500 quid on a record seems to be getting quite common..

Records from my collection I always price at a level that I will sell it at rather than selling just for some money - if they don't sell at the price I have put on them then I'll just have to keep them :(

Records I have bought to sell on; I price for profit and try to be under what they would generally be priced at, if I can't do that then I don't buy them in the first place.

When I put a list on here I normally sell about 50-60% of the records listed. Anything that doesn't sell goes back in my sales box to be sold later. I only put stuff on eBay now if it is in demand or I need to raise cash quickly. I quite often buy things off eBay and put them back on and get more for them, particularly classic oldies for some reason (recently got £35+ for a 2nd issue of Dust My Broom).

I too think that comments on pricing should be OK cos quite often I cannot believe what people ask for records but at the end of the day if you don't like the price then don't pay it.

I always hate seeing records listed for offers as I never know what to offer, I am normally too tight to make a decent offer :P whereas if they were priced I would probably pay a price I wouldn't offer to get a record I wanted (if that makes sense :wicked: ). Mind you, worse than seeing records for offers is making an offer then not even getting a reply, these people go straight on my never-buy-from list.

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Good topic! Got a few opinions on this myself :P

As a seller I buy records to sell to fund the purchase of other records, I also sometimes sell stuff from my collection that I don't want any more but again it is to fund other purchases. Pricing records is pretty hard really as I find there is only an accepted "going rate" for records that are around the 50-100 quid level. Particularly these days when people will blow 20 on a boot quite happily, and also 500 quid on a record seems to be getting quite common..

Records from my collection I always price at a level that I will sell it at rather than selling just for some money - if they don't sell at the price I have put on them then I'll just have to keep them :D

Records I have bought to sell on; I price for profit and try to be under what they would generally be priced at, if I can't do that then I don't buy them in the first place.

When I put a list on here I normally sell about 50-60% of the records listed. Anything that doesn't sell goes back in my sales box to be sold later. I only put stuff on eBay now if it is in demand or I need to raise cash quickly. I quite often buy things off eBay and put them back on and get more for them, particularly classic oldies for some reason (recently got £35+ for a 2nd issue of Dust My Broom).

I too think that comments on pricing should be OK cos quite often I cannot believe what people ask for records but at the end of the day if you don't like the price then don't pay it.

I always hate seeing records listed for offers as I never know what to offer, I am normally too tight to make a decent offer :( whereas if they were priced I would probably pay a price I wouldn't offer to get a record I wanted (if that makes sense unsure.gif ). Mind you, worse than seeing records for offers is making an offer then not even getting a reply, these people go straight on my never-buy-from list.

Cheers

Paul

Think that reply just about puts it in a nutshell i think :wicked:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert