Mad For It

Guest Johnny One Trout

I am not alone then!

Actually, I used to meet up at the Queens Hall Allnighters with a big firm from Nottingham. Great crowd they were, although a bit older than me (I was 16-17 then), Curtain hair-cuts and pony tails, all slick designer clothes. We used to go down to Renaissance at Mansfield for a 'Club' night and go to Bradford for our Soul nights.

I did all the clubs: Hac, Shelleys, Venus, Shoom, Quadrant Park, Legends.

Thing was, even though I loved the Soul, there was never any nice women my age, that's why we went clubbing.

Nothing changes  :yes:

link

Wasn't it Geoff Oakes who used to own/run Renaissance a soulful link there as Shute and i used to go to Wigan with that reprobate Biddulph lad :thumbsup: well if not that one, one of the big club nights on the House scene :yes:

Used to do the Hacienda quite a bit in it's early days myself best band i saw there was either ACR or Defunkt tough call between the two the real heydays with Pickering et al were later after i had moved down to Cornwall

Social source share

• Replies 90
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

what is that brilliant "Saints" track (Austrailian Punk outfit?)

plus another i loved was the one that went..."I'd go the whole wide world to find her" can't remember band.

Social source share

plus another i loved was the one that went..."I'd go the whole wide world to find her" can't remember band.

link

This Perfect Day??

Whole Wide World is by Wreckless Eric.

I can mp3 you any of this sort of thing, shows how sad I am, I sold my northern and kept all that stuff!

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

link

I'll let you slide :thumbsup::yes::yes: No really i know the one you're on about off the first album very Iggy wink.gif

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I'm stranded - The Saints

Classic Punk :thumbsup:

Is that the one Brett?????

Chooooooooooooonn

Edited by Johnny One Trout
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Then there was Erotic Neurotic with the classic lines "I wanna be your lover baby, i wanna be yo maaaan" :yes: they even covered River Deep Mountain High but we really shan't go there :thumbsup:

Social source share

Wasn't it Geoff Oakes who used to own/run Renaissance a soulful link there as Shute and i used to go to Wigan with that reprobate Biddulph lad  :thumbsup: well if not that one, one of the big club nights on the House scene  :yes:

Used to do the Hacienda quite a bit in it's early days myself best band i saw there was either ACR or Defunkt tough call between the two the real heydays with Pickering et al were later after i had moved down to Cornwall

link

It was the very same Mr T.

Always had a shaved head. Was he a bit of a martial artist from memory??

I knew another kid from Stoke, his real name escapes me, but I knew him as 'Animal'. Really dark hair, always in a pony-tail. Involved in 'Smoke & Mirrors' operations. I saw Animal about 5 years ago in Leeds, but he'd had all his barnet cut off. Great fella.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

It was the very same Mr T.

Always had a shaved head. Was he a bit of a martial artist from memory??

I knew another kid from Stoke, his real name escapes me, but I knew him as 'Animal'. Really dark hair, always in a pony-tail. Involved in 'Smoke & Mirrors' operations. I saw Animal about 5 years ago in Leeds, but he'd had all his barnet cut off. Great fella.

link

Geoff was always a dapper lad when we went to Wigan he was the first i saw with a Leather Levi jacket i always lusted after that coat :thumbsup: but to be honest Geoff was one of the quieter ones back then, great dancer though yes.gif:yes: I heard that (allegedly) he is a bit of a bad lad nowadays :P:P:yes::P

Actually come to think of it Animal rings a bell as well did he have a beard?

Edited by Johnny One Trout
Social source share

I am not alone then!

Actually, I used to meet up at the Queens Hall Allnighters with a big firm from Nottingham. Great crowd they were, although a bit older than me (I was 16-17 then), Curtain hair-cuts and pony tails, all slick designer clothes. We used to go down to Renaissance at Mansfield for a 'Club' night and go to Bradford for our Soul nights.

We'll know each other; regular downstairs at Bradford Nighters along with Jocko, Kerso, Walls brothers, Colin Law, Pepsi etc. And got a load of stick for dancing to that there puffy boys music. Also regular at Renaissance when at Mansfield - big crowd of 20 - 30 from Notts Derbys and Manchester used to decend on the place on a regular basis. Oh by the way confesion time- I did have a pony tail :thumbsup:

Nothing changes  :yes:

link

Social source share

Wasn't it Geoff Oakes who used to own/run Renaissance a soulful link there as Shute and i used to go to Wigan with that reprobate Biddulph lad :thumbsup: well if not that one, one of the big club nights on the House scene :yes:

Your right it was Geoff Oaks, along with another Stokie called Mark Wheeton.

Social source share

We'll know each other; regular downstairs at Bradford Nighters along with Jocko, Kerso, Walls brothers, Colin Law, Pepsi etc. And got a load of stick for dancing to that there puffy boys music. Also regular at Renaissance when at Mansfield - big crowd of 20 - 30 from Notts Derbys and Manchester used to decend on the place on a regular basis. Oh by the way confesion time- I did have a pony tail

I used hang about downstairs at the back by the pool tables. It must have cost them a fortune in lightbulbs, they went missing every week as they cast too much light on what was going on :thumbsup:

I had a pony tail too. It was down near my ass before I cut it off about '94 :yes:

I was a slick mutha though :P:yes::P

Where you from fella?

I think we should have a few beers some time. :P

Jamie yes.gif

Social source share

This Perfect Day??

Whole Wide World is by Wreckless Eric.

I can mp3 you any of this sort of thing, shows how sad I am, I sold my northern and kept all that stuff!

link

Bang On Pete....love that footage of Wreckless Eric singing that tune....guy with beard playing sax (if memory serves me right) :thumbsup:

Social source share

Blimey, opened a can of worms there didn't I?

Afternoon Mr Byrne!

Here's something for you shoegazers.....

link

As a young fella on the terraces in 1980, those were Adidas denim...the others look like a pair of bass weejun loafers..got a pair from J. Simon Covent garden, then gave them my old man to decorate in.........

Edited by Brett
Social source share

Fair enough.  Apart from the fact that Nirvana almost singlehandedly resurrected rock music from certain death......

Yeah - you see? There's another f**king reason to hate them ! :thumbsup::yes::yes:

Hammy

Social source share

As a young fella on the terraces in 1980, those were Adidas denim...the others look like a pair of bass weejun loafers..got a pair from J. Simon Covent garden, then gave them my old man to decorate in.........

link

They look like Addidas Jeans to me, although the black looking toe-band makes me slightly unsure.

I did have Jeans '88 what had a lovely Yellow pin-stripe around the sole.

Social source share

They look like Addidas Jeans to me, although the black looking toe-band makes me slightly unsure.

I did have Jeans '88 what had a lovely Yellow pin-stripe around the sole.

link

They're not Jeans - adidas Tahiti and they're ..er.. mine ,Mr Smith I belive?

Btw Original adidas jeans - fecking lovely shoe

Social source share

They're not Jeans - adidas Tahiti and they're ..er.. mine ,Mr Smith I belive?

Btw Original adidas jeans - fecking lovely shoe

link

your right i'm wrong.......used to own samoa..brown suede with tan stripes.....man alive what a shoe

Social source share

We'll know each other; regular downstairs at Bradford Nighters along with Jocko, Kerso, Walls brothers, Colin Law, Pepsi etc. And got a load of stick for dancing to that there puffy boys music. Also regular at Renaissance when at Mansfield - big crowd of 20 - 30 from Notts Derbys and Manchester used to decend on the place on a regular basis. Oh by the way confesion time- I did have a pony tail

I used hang about downstairs at the back by the pool tables. It must have cost them a fortune in lightbulbs, they went missing every week as they cast too much light on what was going on :P

I had a pony tail too. It was down near my ass before I cut it off about '94 :yes:

I was a slick mutha though yes.gif:P:yes:

Where you from fella?

I think we should have a few beers some time. :P

From Nottingham, I'll be bumping into things at Prestatyn, we're have a bevvy then Jamie if youre going.

Just decided, I'm off to the pub, followed by Mick H's doo at the Trent Bridge Inn :thumbsup:

Social source share

Back to the "Mad For It" bit of the thread. Here's how my mates were warding off the cold winter months a couple of years ago. It's supposed to be tongue in cheek as you can tell by the lyrics but to be honest, when you heard it live it was an absolute monster.

Sorry, but I wouldn't bother downloading unless you have broadband as it's pretty big (MP3) file.

Ladies and Gentlemen - I give you - THE MAD CYRILS:

Godz

Social source share

Guest Duncan3k

I'm stranded - The Saints

Classic Punk  :thumbsup:

Is that the one Brett?????

Chooooooooooooonn

link

The Saints

One of the greatest Aussie Punk Bands of all time, Roaring out of Brisbane, Australia, in 1977 with the punk-era classic "(I'm) Stranded," the Saints, despite going through numerous incarnations, were a part of rock & roll for more than 20 years, thanks mainly to their indefatigable leader (and founder) Chris Bailey. Although they didn't play anything that passes for punk rock after about 1978, and despite extended dormant periods, the Saints never officially broke up, Ed Kuepper left to form the arty Laughing Clowns and eventually made a number of very successful records as a solo act.

Chris Bailey now lives in Holland and still plays as the Saints with Kuepper's blessing.

Cheers

Ozy Dunc, not just a soul fan

Social source share

I believe this guy had a ponytail also.....

link

I was just about to say what the f**k have you started Mr Smith, all this talk of Madchester etc, was also about to say I only know about soul but then noticed Byrnie has outed me below!! :yes:yes.gif

Have been watching this with delight today but too busy to join in! I have had the occasional pony tail, one fine specimen, one pathetic attempt, :thumbsup:

Hope you are well and your finger is healing nicely! Must say I do look quite handsome in that picture. :P

Hi Byrnie, Not sure Colin went to Bradford all that often but quite an impressive roll call neverthe less, they were good times as were the nights in Venus (with cross dressing Elton dancing around Pepsi!) and Venus/Renaissance. Fave memory of Mansfield is going down with Kerso and slagging him all the way for playing that horrible anthem to be for the Labour party (Things will Get Better) and saying how I hated Sasha to then be seen dancing around at end of night, arms raised to Sasha playing very record!!!

Have a good night out and see you soon, your legendary breakfast from a few weeks ago is still being talked out in the O'Connor household, say Hi to Kelly from us.

Jamie cant believe we never met as that was the very corner we used to hang at Bradford, sometimes to be seen flat out on pool table after taking one of Kersos headache tablets. :yes:

Have a good one tonight Jamie, I ma working yet another weekend so will be looking for details of the evenings!!

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

The Saints

One of the greatest Aussie Punk Bands of all time, Roaring out of Brisbane, Australia, in 1977 with the punk-era classic "(I'm) Stranded," the Saints, despite going through numerous incarnations, were a part of rock & roll for more than 20 years, thanks mainly to their indefatigable leader (and founder) Chris Bailey. Although they didn't play anything that passes for punk rock after about 1978, and despite extended dormant periods, the Saints never officially broke up, Ed Kuepper left to form the arty Laughing Clowns and eventually made a number of very successful records as a solo act.

Chris Bailey now lives in Holland and still plays as the Saints with Kuepper's blessing.

Cheers

Ozy Dunc, not just a soul fan

link

Actually Dunc i think (I'm) Stranded may have originally come out in 76 :thumbsup:

Troutus

Social source share

link

Not wanting to be a smartarse Brett but they were actually called Adidas Jeans,did them in red with blue stripes I had a pair of each(sad Tw*t)

As for the Clash saw them in '77 at the Electric Circus supported by the Slits & Subway Sect.Same year also saw The Damned & The Jam at Middleton Civic.Stayed away from punk gigs for a while after getting my arse felt at the Damned gig bit scary when your 15. :thumbsup::yes::yes:yes.gif

Just thought about that last line its a bit scary at 43 never mind 15 :P

Stamford :P

Social source share

Not wanting to be a smartarse Brett but they were actually called Adidas Jeans,did them in red with blue stripes I had a pair of each(sad Tw*t)

As for  the Clash saw them in '77 at the Electric Circus supported by the Slits & Subway Sect.Same year also saw The Damned & The Jam at Middleton Civic.Stayed away from punk gigs for a while after getting my arse felt at the Damned gig bit scary when your 15. :yes:   :yes:   yes.gif   :P

Just thought about that last line its a bit scary at 43 never mind 15  :P

Stamford :P

link

Not jeans but as stated earlier Tahiti..........remember my mate had them at Sheff Utd......does anyone remember adidas jogger navy with white stripes and a wonderful white all around sole..?

still got my old Fila BJ navy with light blue...dog eared and would fit an eleven year old but i will not part with it......... :thumbsup:

Social source share

I was just about to say what the f**k have you started Mr Smith, all this talk of Madchester etc, was also about to say I only know about soul but then noticed Byrnie has outed me below!! :thumbsup::yes:

Have been watching this with delight today but too busy to join in! I have had the occasional pony tail, one fine specimen, one pathetic attempt, smile.gif

Hope you are well and your finger is healing nicely! Must say I do look quite handsome in that picture. :yes:

Theres more where they came from!

Finger fine!

Tony

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

Because they are the most untalented, useless bunch of c*nts ever to make a record??

i saw them play about the same time as step on was out, and they were much worse than that pete, in fact i would go as far as to say that your comment is an insult to untalented useless c*nts

btw, i've just read your post about walking into an outstretched foot - funniest thing i've read for ages :thumbsup: we must be equally mentalistic

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

Actually Dunc i think (I'm) Stranded may have originally come out in 76  :thumbsup:

Troutus

link

yeah, definitely - i remember it beat new rose the first proper punk single, it was a real early one

Social source share

I couldn't name a song from either  :yes:   If the grungy pillock was still alive I doubt anyone else would  :thumbsup:

link

Tee hee, Chalky. Very true. The way his ex-missus has parlayed all that shit into a career makes me want to vom too.

Anyone else on here ever into 9 Below Zero or Dennis Greaves' later band The Truth? The former were awesome, the latter a bit plastic but great fun.

Was also big into The Redskins, saw them four weeks on the trot at the Mean Fiddler in Harlesden in about 1988, they were great.

Also, anyone else ever go to the Eclipse rave nights in Cov? First legal raves in the country, absolutely blinding if you were on one matey.

Social source share

yeah, definitely - i remember it beat new rose the first proper punk single, it was a real early one

link

"New Rose" on Stiff came out Oct´76, Saints came out August, they were somewhat damaged by being on EMI´s prog label Harvest, crappest band Stukas or Stinky Toys??, mind you the Vibrators were pretty bad too!

Tony "Safety Pin Thru My Heart" Snot

Social source share

Anyone else on here ever into 9 Below Zero or Dennis Greaves' later band The Truth? The former were awesome, the latter a bit plastic but great fun.

Saw 9 below a few times in the early 80´s, once at Hammersmith with the late Alexis Korner brill night!

Used to like Dr. Feelgood an´all!

Social source share

Was also big into The Redskins, saw them four weeks on the trot at the Mean Fiddler in Harlesden in about 1988, they were great.

I was a big fan of NBZ and was enthusiastic to see Dennis Greaves front The Truth.

When I went to see the Truth at Flicks in Kilwinning, it was like a Mod go-go and the dj sounds that warmed us up was 60's and Tamla, brilliant. They did a good set with Stevie Wonder covers and the like, but not a match on NBZ. Can't say too much about the local boys in Kilwinning as they burnt the place down as soon as the place emptied. The Mod contingent was too much for them I suppose.

What happened to the Redskins? They could put a tune together in the same vien as Dexy's could.

H

Social source share

Saw the Redskins a couple of times in Glasgow, sure the lead singer also wrote in the nme as X Moore or something along those lines.

Always liked Nine Below Zero also after the performed Sugar Beat & Rythm Sweet on the Young Ones.

Used an NBZ lp for recreational purposes once on a journey down to Thorne, Canal Tavern and then on to a niter in Chesterfield. Often wonder what happend to said lp as it was skimmed out the car window after it had served it's purpose this really helped me to appreciate the worth of aforementioned band. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert