Record Of The Weekend

Chalky

Speaking of Laurence & Jaibi, I've been amazed that their released 45 on RCA, "You're Not Mine" / "Walk Away!" has been sighted on ebay for three figure sums on each of its' last few appearances. Is this in-demand on one scene or another? A good record, but not in the same ballpark as their solo 45s or indeed, the track Ady mentions above.

A record I've been playing lots again recently is Eugene Gaspard's "Holding On" on Rosemount from New Orleans. An early 70s mover unlike any other. A record so intense and powerful that I can honestly say it summons visions of an updated (and far more soulful) Cecil Washington. The reverse, "On and On" is a more than reasonable ballad too, so all in all, an ace double sider.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

• Replies 64
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I wonder if its the same coffee shop I heard playing David & the Giants - 10 miles high? Is it close to the LLoyds bank opposite the bus stop going towards highbury corner?

If you're walking from the Angel it's on the left by the bus stops. I remember that thread.

I'll pop in and schmooze them when I'm up there next.

Social source share

Picked up a few odds and ends, but one of the highlights for me was picking up the Rose Royce LP on Epic for $1 with the track "Still In Love".

Heard a lot of people talking about D-Train on here...I'm working on running the entire Prelude label and so far I've got quite a bit, but I constantly get doubles. If anyone's looking for Prelude stuff, let me know. I have many spare copies for sale. I don't have Lorraine Johnson or Gayle Adams "Baby I Need...", but have loads of other titles for sale. If anyone needs D-Train and stuff like that, bw sure to PM me about it.

KTF

Jas

link

Hi Jason, did you ever get your mid tempo cd from me? Third time lucky I hope, must revive that thread as Mr Bicknells is still outstanding, cmon Mark I am sure Mrs Bicknell (or your youngster) can explain the technology to you ? wicked.gif:wicked:

Re Rose Royce, try their other track Best Love (I think) great 80's dancer, their strongest for me and got a few plays at the time.

Re D-Train I think I was the only one talking about them, love them to bits, am very partial to prelude west end etc. Like to try and pick up WD's of them, also Salsoul WD's, last trip to NY they were all over the place but kept forgetting to get them!! I am on a bit of a buying freeze at moment but if you have spares drop me a list and I may be interested in some, have a few but not lots.

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

A record I've been playing lots again recently is Eugene Gaspard's "Holding On" on Rosemont from New Orleans. An early 70s mover unlike any other.

link

Is this the same as Eugene Blacknell (think thats title), that was more 80's if I remember rightly but sure was told there was another better version of that, although remember no details (as usual). If so I take its a hard piece to find?

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Hi Jock. Don't think there's any connection to Eugene Blacknell: I think that's from California. The Eugene Gaspard shouldn't be that hard to pick up: Anglo-American used to have loads of them about eight years ago, and used to feature it (heavily) on their sales tapes @ £10 or so; they may still have some. Give it a go: I think it's an awesome record.

Talk of labels like West End reminds me of a couple of great records on the logo from the early 80s: Sybil Thomas "Rescue Me" and Julius Brown "Never Too Late." Dug both out recently and have to say they didn't suffer from sounding dated at all. If anything, they both sound as fresh as paint.

To me, the 1980s are a much-maligned decade in soul terms. There were still some great records being made by some fantastic singers, like the two mentioned above. I've kept stacks of independents from Soul Bowl, and a proportion still stand up fairly well. A few are, I'm sure, guaranteed future rarities (not that it matters).

It only seems like yesterday that The O'Jays "Put Our Heads Together" was the biggest sound in the country. Played that immense record again recently and was stunned by the realisation that it was twenty-two years old!

Social source share

Right you've heard my record of the weekend, but these two are my records of today so far:-

1 Maurice Williams "I don' love you anymore" (CYCLONE) - f*king brilliant this why does nobody play it?

Billy :wicked:

link

Maurice Williams, brilliant tune, did get plays out some years back.

Social source share

The LP's called "Would you believe" on Smash. Just missed one at £60, was rated it at £70 in an erlier post. :wicked:

link

Just sold dutch/german philips,a lot more than smash copy?not tellin` though!anybody seen or got one of these?yours,backdoor 100club.

Social source share

Guest mattmale

I didn't go out this weekend, as my kids were 1 on Sunday and it would not have been politic if you know what i mean....

But last weekend my fav sound at NCSC was definately The Hamilton Movement - She's Gone.

Anyone got a sound file? :wicked:

Matt

Social source share

The flip of the 45 isn't the other good track on the lp. I can't remember the track but it is another goodie tho' not quite as good as "You dont love me ...." I'll post up when I get home and dig the lp out. The only way to get both tracks is to get the lp.

Jordi

link

The other northern-y track on the LP is called "One Stands Here", the bass riff always reminds me of a Sam Dees "Lonely For Me", although it is somewhat slower. I have not got my copy to hand right now but, whilst the 45 is on Cyclone the LP is on Paramount. A good album all round.

Re-visiting the Eugene Gaspard eh Gareth? Do you remember when we first heard this on Tim Brown's sales tape and bought our copies?

O' Jays "Put Our Heads Together" is still my all time favourite 80's soul record.

Social source share

The other northern-y track on the LP is called "One Stands Here", the bass riff always reminds me of a Sam Dees "Lonely For Me", although it is somewhat slower. I have not got my copy to hand right now but, whilst the 45 is on Cyclone the LP is on Paramount. A good album all round.

That's the track Noss, and very nice it is as well.

Jordi

Social source share

The Difosco track is getting a few spins at the moment , nice choice Mark

link

I think that this tune will go big in the not too distant future. It's been around for a while but Difosco-Sunshine love on a label called Earthquake doesn't exactly come across as being soulful, if I hadn't heard it before it's not something I'd have taken a chance on if you know what I mean. If I had to hazard a guess at what it was like I'd expect it to sound something like Ottowan's DISCO. Fortunately it doesn't & goes to show that you can't judge a book by it's cover.

Social source share

I think that this tune will go big in the not too distant future. It's been around for a while but Difosco-Sunshine love on a label called Earthquake doesn't exactly come across as being soulful, if I hadn't heard it before it's not something I'd have taken a chance on if you know what I mean. If I had to hazard a guess at what it was like I'd expect it to sound something like Ottowan's DISCO. Fortunately it doesn't & goes to show that you can't judge a book by it's cover.

link

Pete Lawson reviewed this in his Magazine sometime in the 80's. Was played years prior to this too so I'm led to believe. Record is from 1973 too...Big Dee Irwin.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Promatics - Think I'm Gonna Let You Go - Brown Door  :good:  :wicked:

Whats your record of the weekend?

link

I really liked a record I heard at Rugby on Sat ,played by Guy Hennigan titled " Soul Injection " or something like that ,blue label , wierd start , then a great modern - ish dancer , any idea what it was Chalky ? Best ,Eddie .

Social source share

I really liked a record I heard at Rugby on Sat ,played by Guy Hennigan titled " Soul Injection " or something like that ,blue label , wierd start , then a great modern - ish dancer , any idea what it was Chalky ? Best ,Eddie .

link

Not off hand Eddie. We left not long after Andy's set to go to Sheridans so didn't catch all Guys set.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert