Scarborough Deadbeat!?

Guest soulmaguk

Guest soulmaguk

oh no, has the Deadbeats-No Second Chance STRATA 104. been booted?? Just heard it last night at my favourite little club in Scarborough..The Beat Club, a place where we like to go and listen to obscure R&B originals, DECCA obscurities and generally be underground music fans. Is nothing sacred...thought there were only about 4 or 5 copies in the country!? last one i saw went for £600..gota be worth more now. This record was covered up as The Phantom Janitor by Richard Searling as i remember. Obviously was a Psych/Garage obscurity, and to reach Northern Soul Dancer status must of been some stretch by Richard. Ok, back to the old quibble about Bootlegs or Originals, should a track like the Deadbeats be played in bootleg form, or left in rare collectors boxes only to be played at good rare dances?? this record surley is a symbol of where Northern Soul can lead in terms of greatness of the 45?? and power of the DJ. Well done Richard, Butch, Mick H and anyone that can push the boundaries of Rare/Northern Soul music. And boo to the DJs that insist on spinning poor quality fakes that they never discovered.... here's a picture of a real one for you fellow anoracks. Keep on Pushin' Love..Jock

Social source share

• Replies 28
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

there are far more that 4-5 copies of the Deadbeats these days, probably more like a couple of hundred IMO. Perhaps you should check with the organisers before accusing its DJ's of playing boots - must be loads of 'non famous' DJs at smaller local nights spinning this off original vinyl these days... no longer £600+ either, which is a shame as I'll be selling mine soon angry.gif

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk
there are far more that 4-5 copies of the Deadbeats these days, probably more like a couple of hundred IMO. Perhaps you should check with the organisers before accusing its DJ's of playing boots - must be loads of 'non famous' DJs at smaller local nights spinning this off original vinyl these days... no longer £600+ either, which is a shame as I'll be selling mine soon angry.gif
Social source share

at the smaller dos you often hear better music from people who dont make a noise about there collections, a case in point is bob cornocks soul nites at all blues club in gloucester, steve green des parker andy hutchins and others played a nite of very rare northern any big club would have been proud of mostly semi known at best. so never underate anyones collection as most people have something in there to suprise you!!!!!! especially around the east coast of the north, that lot seem to me to delight in knowing stuff others dont, a legacy of little john and his mates attitudes!!! back to the point.there are always its seems more copies of rare records than there owners would hope, that includes me, in a very small way!

Social source share

Guest edsuede

oh no, has the Deadbeats-No Second Chance STRATA 104. been booted?? Just heard it last night at my favourite little club in Scarborough..The Beat Club, a place where we like to go and listen to obscure R&B originals, DECCA obscurities and generally be underground music fans. Is nothing sacred...thought there were only about 4 or 5 copies in the country!? last one i saw went for £600..gota be worth more now. This record was covered up as The Phantom Janitor by Richard Searling as i remember. Obviously was a Psych/Garage obscurity, and to reach Northern Soul Dancer status must of been some stretch by Richard. Ok, back to the old quibble about Bootlegs or Originals, should a track like the Deadbeats be played in bootleg form, or left in rare collectors boxes only to be played at good rare dances?? this record surley is a symbol of where Northern Soul can lead in terms of greatness of the 45?? and power of the DJ. Well done Richard, Butch, Mick H and anyone that can push the boundaries of Rare/Northern Soul music. And boo to the DJs that insist on spinning poor quality fakes that they never discovered.... here's a picture of a real one for you fellow anoracks. Keep on Pushin' Love..Jock

As one of the resident DJs (and not, I must stress, the promoter) at The Beat Club I thought I'd have to comment on this topic as this thread directly names our venue.

At The Beat Club the majority of stuff played (rnb, soul, blue-eyed, 60s beat, skinhead reggae and ska, dance-floor jazz) is on 'original' vinyl - i.e. first or subsequent offical issues in which I include official UK/Canadian, etc releases. However, re-issues, pressings and bootlegs do also get played as well. The Beat Club philosophy is simple - we're a small club (now more than 12 years old) playing a broad spectrum of music to people who as a whole, come to hear and find new sounds or to re-visit under-played sounds. Like the majority of small clubs which form the lifeblood of our rich and varied scene - we exist purely because we're passionate about what we do and wish to share our music with others. We're not trying to compete with big name 'originals only' Djs and their venues.

For the record (no pun intended) I don't know who played this 'alleged' boot on Friday - personally it doesn't worry me - I'm too busy enjoying myself and listening to what is being played to care!! As DJs we certainly don't insist on inspecting each others records before allowing people on the decks - the DJs attitude is what counts most, which probably explains why all the Beat Club DJs get on so well and don't indulge in slagging each other off.

If you want to be 100% sure that you're listening to the original vinyl complete with correct matrix marks and run off numbers etc then I'm afraid that The Beat Club will inevitably continue to disappoint you. If on the other hand you're prepared to accept that the music comes first regardless of what type of vinyl it's played on we will always strive to give you and others damn good value for your £2 door tax! :thumbsup:

Social source share

As one of the resident DJs (and not, I must stress, the promoter) at The Beat Club I thought I'd have to comment on this topic as this thread directly names our venue.

At The Beat Club the majority of stuff played (rnb, soul, blue-eyed, 60s beat, skinhead reggae and ska, dance-floor jazz) is on 'original' vinyl - i.e. first or subsequent offical issues in which I include official UK/Canadian, etc releases. However, re-issues, pressings and bootlegs do also get played as well. The Beat Club philosophy is simple - we're a small club (now more than 12 years old) playing a broad spectrum of music to people who as a whole, come to hear and find new sounds or to re-visit under-played sounds. Like the majority of small clubs which form the lifeblood of our rich and varied scene - we exist purely because we're passionate about what we do and wish to share our music with others. We're not trying to compete with big name 'originals only' Djs and their venues.

For the record (no pun intended) I don't know who played this 'alleged' boot on Friday - personally it doesn't worry me - I'm too busy enjoying myself and listening to what is being played to care!! As DJs we certainly don't insist on inspecting each others records before allowing people on the decks - the DJs attitude is what counts most, which probably explains why all the Beat Club DJs get on so well and don't indulge in slagging each other off.

If you want to be 100% sure that you're listening to the original vinyl complete with correct matrix marks and run off numbers etc then I'm afraid that The Beat Club will inevitably continue to disappoint you. If on the other hand you're prepared to accept that the music comes first regardless of what type of vinyl it's played on we will always strive to give you and others damn good value for your £2 door tax! :thumbsup:

Personally I coul'nt give a monkeys what the matrix says or what colour the label is,I go out to enjoy myself and hear the music I love

folks dont travel hundreds of miles to hear a particlar record these days,we have other commitments that just dont allow us too do it...

I love some of the big money tunes such as

Classics - so glad I found you

nabay -

Vondells -

Magnetics - I have a girl

Cautions -no other way

and many others

I want to hear em

the only good DJ is a rich DJ ,dont do it for me

Bazza

Social source share

Deadbeats isn't that rare, what is tough is getting a minter as most are only vg/vg+ or so, also most have a marker pen on one side, know of 3 copies in collections within a mile or 2 of here, mine included, all minty too, personally I play the other side out. Incidentally, most people don't know they have another version, totally rawer, same 2 songs but really different, also on Strata.......

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

This is exactly my point, if you have an original one, why do you have one? because you love the track and love to play in its original format of course. To hear that sound only an original piece of vinyl can give you, it's the vibration of the original grooves which can create deep warm sound waves. If you just love the track and want to DJ it, why play a Cd track? the sound is too perfect and not DJ friendly, and your only playing it to yourself at the end of the day, why not wait till you aquire the original before playing it, there's always someone out there that will know the difference of a recent re-issue which usually the sound quality is poorer, there are so many undiscovered original 45s out there waiting for your/our pleasure! We could argue the toss forever on this, some will say I'm right, some will say I'm not. Those who agree with me thats fine, and those that agree the other thats fine also. But i still will prefere the original over the boot/re-issue/2nd issue whatever. Thats just my opinion of which i am entitled to.

Social source share

why does original mean expensive,

we allowed some boots but we moved on now,

if your djn try and find some lesser known stuff to keep the scene fresh.

if you play boots it usually means you aint got the cash, time, imagination or dedication to source some new soul,

Social source share

Some of you DJ's / collectors dont half talk some twaddle...

this

"if you play boots it usually means you aint got the cash, time, imagination or dedication to source some new soul,"

and this

"why not wait till you aquire the original before playing it"

priceless

:thumbsup::(laugh.gif:thumbup::shhh::no::)

Bazza

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

what i meant to say was "try to aquire the original before exposing yourself with an inferior sound on the decks" Stompers is absolutely right, excellent sounding original vinyl is sometimes not hard to find, but with reading and listening you can find it, inexpensively. Anyway, deadbeats track 'No Second Chance' can now be found on the Up All-Night 3 CD/LP. Everyone with an ear for music will tell you that LP tracks especially compilations with 10 tracks either side are low noise reproduced and cannot be made to sound like a 45 on the decks. The Up All Night CDs/LPs i believe are now becoming quite sought after, excellent for home use.

Social source share

The title says 'some records\are too good to be booted' and then goes on to talk about The Deadbeats.

Surely some mistake here.

What a pile of garageband sh*t.

Actually as a 60's garage record it's really good but I don't think it makes it as a northern record and never have, people can't slag off The Seeds for instance then say this is great because this is one of the most unsoulful records ever played...then again I can imagine how great it must have sounded blasted loud at a nighter and why it became popular

Social source share

I started a thread a few months ago about oldies that are not available except in original 45 format.

I cant remember anything being suggested, so with so much money being at stake, I think anything that can be reproduced either by 45 boot or CD will be.

Even some poor to average tracks are on CD compilations, and that makes it worse, as it spoils the CD. Of course mp3 format is great for getting rid of the crap on CDs etc.

Ed

Social source share

Actually as a 60's garage record it's really good but I don't think it makes it as a northern record and never have, people can't slag off The Seeds for instance then say this is great because this is one of the most unsoulful records ever played...then again I can imagine how great it must have sounded blasted loud at a nighter and why it became popular

They wouldn't agree with you on the Garage forums though Pete. Over there they refer to horn players as "Hot Valve Men" and the purists reckon they have no place in garage music. I loved it at the time and still have a bit of a soft spot for it from a nostalgic point of view. Always thought of it as a sort of rock band with horns sound in much the same way as Manifesto though (ducks for cover) but as you suggest it did sound immense at w*g@n.

Godz

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

Just so Godz, i first heard the Deadbeats when i was maybe 17/18 i loved it. To me it was like the first time i heard 'The Q-Thats The Way' it just blew me away. Think Richard introduced that also, heard at Clifton Hall a few times and was talked about more and more, eventually got massive at Top Of The World.

Social source share

If you want to be 100% sure that you're listening to the original vinyl complete with correct matrix marks and run off numbers etc then I'm afraid that The Beat Club will inevitably continue to disappoint you. If on the other hand you're prepared to accept that the music comes first regardless of what type of vinyl it's played on we will always strive to give you and others damn good value for your £2 door tax! :D

Excellent.

The Beat Club - filed away as somewhere to visit when I get the chance, do you have a web site with dates etc?

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

This thread obviously went absolutey no-where, as usual, with reading thread after thread, it was aswered by enthusiasts then joined in by no nothings, then finished by cant be doing withits. what a fargin josh of complete troll-der-dash. Havn't read it, but now convinced....Kev Roberts Top 500 rules Northern Soul...Does not matter which way you look at it. Kev is right...Even though thats not a real word anymore. Northern Soul is dead. Long live N. Soul. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. AHH Janette. Its Motown init??

Social source share

This thread obviously went absolutey no-where, as usual, with reading thread after thread, it was aswered by enthusiasts then joined in by no nothings, then finished by cant be doing withits. what a fargin josh of complete troll-der-dash. Havn't read it, but now convinced....Kev Roberts Top 500 rules Northern Soul...Does not matter which way you look at it. Kev is right...Even though thats not a real word anymore. Northern Soul is dead. Long live N. Soul. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. AHH Janette. Its Motown init??

Blimey - the government have surely got it right this time with their concerns about the dangers of Super Skunk!

Anyway this whole thread is full of the usual hypocrisy about about bootlegs. I mean just look at Soulmaguk's dalek avatar:

post-1918-1185001470.jpg

Obvious Boot

Original below

post-1918-1185001552_thumb.jpg

60s press to satisify demand from international dalek fans

post-1918-1185001620_thumb.jpg

Officially licensed reissue from a couple of years ago

post-1918-1185001727_thumb.jpg

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

thanxs man. i needed that. Mere club do tonight, i know how much you wanna go. i gonna turn up as usual, is my birthday today so gonna be a real treat!..Woomble & Yokie on, should be OK. soz missed your last few DJ slots around the town, will catch you soon funkmyster. Regards.

Social source share

Guest soul kitten

ok Jock see as it s your birthday we ll make the trip over from York tonight,hope you ve settled down by then :(:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest edsuede

Blimey - the government have surely got it right this time with their concerns about the dangers of Super Skunk!

Anyway this whole thread is full of the usual hypocrisy about about bootlegs. I mean just look at Soulmaguk's dalek avatar:

post-1918-1185001470.jpg

Obvious Boot

Original below

post-1918-1185001552_thumb.jpg

60s press to satisify demand from international dalek fans

post-1918-1185001620_thumb.jpg

Officially licensed reissue from a couple of years ago

post-1918-1185001727_thumb.jpg

Godz

:hypo::(:thumbsup: What I want to know is, where does Davros figure in all this?

Social source share

Guest edsuede

thanxs man. i needed that. Mere club do tonight, i know how much you wanna go. i gonna turn up as usual, is my birthday today so gonna be a real treat!..Woomble & Yokie on, should be OK. soz missed your last few DJ slots around the town, will catch you soon funkmyster. Regards.

:thumbsup: Happy Birthday Jock.

Social source share

Guest edsuede

Excellent.

The Beat Club - filed away as somewhere to visit when I get the chance, do you have a web site with dates etc?

Cheers

Paul

:thumbsup: Thanks for your interest Paul - appreciated! Would be only too pleased to see you at our humble club.

Dates for rest of the year -

Friday Aug 10th

Friday Sept 14th

Friday Oct 12th

Friday Nov 9th

Friday Dec 14th

8 - late, £2 entry. Info: askbeatclub@yahoo.com

Social source share

Guest edsuede

Oh we're in for a quiet night then........ :lol:

Steve, it was you played that crackin ska - type R n B instro at the Lakeside Soul Club tonight wasn't it? - Baby Earl and the Trinidadians? Can you confirm this is the group, and what the track is called please? Just got back from the Mere and have to say that's one of the best tracks I've heard at a northern night in years!!!! :thumbup:

Social source share

:wub:laugh.gif:D What I want to know is, where does Davros figure in all this?

Have to agree with Pete Smith...At the time this tune (phantom Jainitor ) was great on a loud PA...lost it's appeal to me now..

on another thread....seems you are all into doctor who and Daleks ( even levine likes them) my cousin is Maureen O,Brien and she was Vickie with Mr Hartnall in the first series..... here is a link to her her bio........ i always remember asking her in awe about the daleks as a kid and she replied ..there not real there are blokes inside them ...they are not robots...... so i guess all daleks are boots then :-)

pete m

https://www.shillpages.com/dw/obrienm.shtml

my cousins bio

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert