Before Northern Soul Was Invented

• Replies 79
  • Views 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

OK then Kev! Instrumentals - You Gotta pay the price Al Kent, Secret Home Willie Mitchell, Wade in the water Ramsey just for a kick off!

Cheers Steve.

Struggling now Steve.

Recently had a bit of self indulgence by paying an entirely instrumental early doors set - and wish I could remember what they were!

Not too many from the very early days I reckon. You've already picked the best and most memorable three IMO, but what about:

You Can't Sit Down - Phil Upchurch Combo

Black Is Black - Paul Mauriat Orchestra

That Driving Beat - Willie Mitchell

Fife Piper - Dynatones

Cigarette Ashes - Jimmy Conwell

and just about anything from San Remo Strings.

I'm probably about to learn that my memory has embarrassed me again!

-Kevin

Social source share

Here's one for us older soul fans. What are your top sounds that you remember from the clubs etc of the mid to late 60's that have gone on to be established Northern classics. Here's a few that I grew up with around Northants and Beds in the late 60's,

Girls are out to get you Fascinations

Right track Billy Butler

She blew a good thing Poets

Going to a happening Tommy Neal

Tightrope Charlie & Inez Fox

Washed ashore Platters

Driving beat Willie Mitchell

Walking up a one way street Willie Tee

Mr bang bang man Little Hank

Whats wrong with me baby? Invitations

There's a quick 10 tunes from this area. How does that compare with other parts of the country?

Also, is it just nostalgia or do these tunes still sound good today however many times you've heard them?

Cheers, Steve.

Circa 1968,Burnley Mecca (Rose Room),

Most of above,plus i remmember the DJ playing the same three together every week,wednesday&sunday,

Flamingos Boogaloo party

Mitch Ryder Breakout

Tony Clark The Entertainer.

Plus a host of others including motown.

Geoff.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Circa 1968,Burnley Mecca (Rose Room),

Most of above,plus i remmember the DJ playing the same three together every week,wednesday&sunday,

Flamingos Boogaloo party

Mitch Ryder Breakout

Tony Clark The Entertainer.

Plus a host of others including motown.

Geoff.

Also at the Burnley Cats Whiskers on Sundays,

A Quitter Never Wins

You Get Your Kicks

So Hard Being a Loser the Contours

... and all of the others quoted!!!

Do you remember Mick the Fed the Sunday night DJ? Modelled himself on Rosko!

Social source share

Looks like this thread has run its course so thanks guys to all that have contributed.

I would like to leave you with this thought, the same tunes were being played up and down the country at a time when transport was limited and expensive and there was no internet. Just shows the old grapevine must have been working well!

Thanks, Steve B.

Doh!!

Edited by ken
Social source share

Also at the Burnley Cats Whiskers on Sundays,

A Quitter Never Wins

You Get Your Kicks

So Hard Being a Loser the Contours

... and all of the others quoted!!!

Do you remember Mick the Fed the Sunday night DJ? Modelled himself on Rosko!

Flipping great record IMHO!!

And Jim, did Max Romeo get played at the Torch??? Sounds hard to believe to me, hundreds of "speeded-up" soulies dancin' to skin reggae? :thumbsup: Great track, also hehe

Also like Dreams to Remember, the instrumental version by the Hippy Boys if I remember well :lol:

Cheers from Mexico

Dante

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Been lookiing at the tunes mentioned on this thread....they were / are fantastic ...I dont think theres been anything since that can touch them...probably cos I was a lad and it was all new ,and I was dancing my socks of to all these great tunes

Great great days

Bazza

Social source share

Here's one for us older soul fans. What are your top sounds that you remember from the clubs etc of the mid to late 60's that have gone on to be established Northern classics. Here's a few that I grew up with around Northants and Beds in the late 60's,

Right track Billy Butler

Washed ashore Platters

There's a quick 10 tunes from this area. How does that compare with other parts of the country?

Also, is it just nostalgia or do these tunes still sound good today however many times you've heard them?

Cheers, Steve.

Darn Sarf would have been (circa 68/69)

Fontella Bass - Rescue me

Eddie Floyd - Things get better

Impressions - You've been cheatin'

William Bell & Judy Clay - My baby specializes

Edwin Starr - 25 miles

Moses & Joshua - My elusive dreams

Homer Banks - A lot of love

Johnny taylor - Who's making love

Shirley & the Shirelles - Look what you've done to my heart

Little Hank - Mr Bang bang man

Charlie & Inez Foxx - Tightrope

Peggy Scott & Jo Jo Benson - Soulshake/Lovers holiday

J J Jackson - But it's alright

Plus loadsa Tamla (Isley Bros, 4 Tops, Jim Ruffin, Marv Johnson, Contours, etc)

:lol::lol:

Social source share

this is an interesting thread. chris has mentioned the stuff played darn sarf, which to a sprog like me, looks pretty much like traditional northern fare. would it be true to say that 'pockets of resistance' remained in the south, & that not everybody got into the more funkier sounds coming out of black america towards the end of that decade? & what about venues? did they fizzle out? the history books have left us with this north-south divide business, but I'm sure life wasn't that black & white, was it?

M

Social source share

OK, I'd hear some of these tunes sprinkled amongst the Hippy shit and the likes of Status Quo's "Pictures of Matchstick Men" at your ordinary Disco, but if you wanted a soul only night in the late 6T's there were places to go - you just had to know where.

Perhaps it was different in your neck of the woods, in which case you were a very lucky young man.

Not from Kent are you Kevin?

Think Staus Quo would have cleared the floor quicker than a Turd in a Swimming Pool up in South Yorkshire mate.

I know what you mean though. There was the 'odd' non Soul record played around our way too, but they were the exception to the rule and were always aimed at the dancefloor.

Remember things like "Hi Ho Silver Lining" "Spirit In The Sky" in the late 60's and "Resurection Shuffle" in 71 in amongst the Motown etc.thats Kevins set nowadays as he say it never fails him but it always clears the floor but he doesnt notice cos he is as blind as a bat and as deaf as a post :unsure::D

Nobody mentioned "That Driving Beat" Willie Mitchell. That was just MASSIVE in our neck of the woods (along with Wooly Bully :yes: ) whether you were into Soul or not!

:rolleyes:

Sean

Social source share

this is an interesting thread. chris has mentioned the stuff played darn sarf, which to a sprog like me, looks pretty much like traditional northern fare. would it be true to say that 'pockets of resistance' remained in the south, & that not everybody got into the more funkier sounds coming out of black america towards the end of that decade? & what about venues? did they fizzle out? the history books have left us with this north-south divide business, but I'm sure life wasn't that black & white, was it?

M

There were many venues playing soul music, The Marque club probably most famous, also all those

Mecca/Locarno/Top Ranks played loadsa soul, all went pear shaped with the advent of funk, that's

what drove us up north in '71. Yes "Spirit in the sky" "Fire" "Quick Joey Small" and others like them

got a lot of play too I'm afraid.

Chris L

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Gordon

How about the carrols - were in this thing together - cbs?

agent 00 soul

back street

scratchy

Right track Billy Butler

Washed ashore Platters

Cheers, Steve.

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...

Happy Days...... :thumbsup:

TORCH SOUNDS 68 (FRIDAYS)

WYNDER K FROG GREEN DOOR

DYNATONES FIFE PIPER

TOM+JERRY O BOO-GA-LOO

CHUBBY CHECKER CUM-A-LA-BE-STAY

ROBERT PARKER HAPPY FEET

EQUALS I GET SO EXCITED

SUE THOMPSON PAPER TIGER

BARBARA MILLS QUEEN OF FOOLS

DORIS TROY I'LL DO ANYTHING

BETTY EVERETT GETTING MIGHTY CROWDED

JAMES BROWN THERE WAS A TIME

DEON JACKSON OOH BABY

GUY DARRELL IVE BEEN HURT

RODGER COLLINS SHE'S LOOKING GOOD

MAX ROMEO WET DREAM

TOMMY JAMES MONY MONY

ASTORS CANDY

JAMES+BOBBY PURIFY LET LOVE COME BETWEEN US

ROY DOCKER MELLOW MOONLIGHT

LITTLE RICHARD LITTLE BIT OF SOMETHING

RONNIE MILSAP AINT NO SOUL (LEFT IN THESE OLD SHOES)

MITCH RYDER BREAKOUT

PAUL KELLY CHILLS AND FEVER

ROY HEAD TREAT HER RIGHT

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Still have my 1969 diary where I used to write tunes I liked and then tick them off when I bought them. See girls can be nerds too!! :no: (The 1968 diary was destroyed as too incriminating :lol: ) There were actually two tunes that only got ticked off a few years ago 'You're leaving me' by Ollie and the Nightingales and 'If you don't want my love' by Robert John, which I heard on Stuart Henry after an allnighter and never heard again.

a few old favourites -

Ain't no soul(left in these old shoes) Ronnie Milsap was our 'getting ready for the Wheel' tune

You ought to be in heaven The Impressions

With this ring The Platters (played it a wedding last week)

Love makes a woman Barbara Acklin

99 and a half Wilson Pickett - which would be considered far too slow for dancing now

You can't sit down Phil Upchurch Combo

Just look what you have done Brenda Holloway

Candy The Astors

Ain't love good, ain't love proud Tony Clarke

I got what it takes Brooks and Jerry

I gotta dance to keep from crying Jimmy James & the Vagabonds

Michael Geno Washington

Seven days is too long Chuck Wood

My weakness is you Edwin Starr

Heatwave Martha & the Vandellas

Chain reaction Spellbinders

A little bit of something Little Richard

60 Minutes Homer Banks

Somebody Somewhere (needs you) Darrell Banks

Social source share

Still have my 1969 diary where I used to write tunes I liked and then tick them off when I bought them. See girls can be nerds too!! :yes: (The 1968 diary was destroyed as too incriminating :lol: ) There were actually two tunes that only got ticked off a few years ago 'You're leaving me' by Ollie and the Nightingales and 'If you don't want my love' by Robert John, which I heard on Stuart Henry after an allnighter and never heard again.

a few old favourites -

Ain't no soul(left in these old shoes) Ronnie Milsap was our 'getting ready for the Wheel' tune

You ought to be in heaven The Impressions

With this ring The Platters (played it a wedding last week) :no: Still got the copy that I took along to be played as first dance at my own wedding in '74. Got married in army uniform and had it stashed in my hat all through the service!

Love makes a woman Barbara Acklin

99 and a half Wilson Pickett - which would be considered far too slow for dancing now

You can't sit down Phil Upchurch Combo

Just look what you have done Brenda Holloway

Candy The Astors

Ain't love good, ain't love proud Tony Clarke

I got what it takes Brooks and Jerry

I gotta dance to keep from crying Jimmy James & the Vagabonds

Michael Geno Washington

Seven days is too long Chuck Wood

My weakness is you Edwin Starr

Heatwave Martha & the Vandellas

Chain reaction Spellbinders

A little bit of something Little Richard

60 Minutes Homer Banks

Somebody Somewhere (needs you) Darrell Banks

Welcome aboard Kath! :wub:

Edited by KevinKent
Social source share

When I first started going clubbing, it was at a club in Leeds called 'The spinning disc' or the 'Old mecca' as it was known. It's where Jimmy Saville started out. They used to play Motown in the 60s, and the biggest tune that stands out for me was 'Behind a painted smile - Isley brothers', still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck when I hear it.

Edited by steveluigi
Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Steve, heard of the Old Mecca/Spinning Disc in The Grand ARCADE---only a small point Jimmy Saville started out at The Plaza --Oxford Road ,Manchester and did so well with his double deck turntables he was then given the job of re-viving another Mecca venue in Leeds (where he set a young Mr. Anthony Newton(soon to become Tony Banks(R.I P.) as assistant D.J.

Regards

long time no see

Tony Coleby

When I first started going clubbing, it was at a club in Leeds called 'The spinning disc' or the 'Old mecca' as it was known. It's where Jimmy Saville started out. They used to play Motown in the 60s, and the biggest tune that stands out for me was 'Behind a painted smile - Isley brothers', still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck when I hear it.

Social source share

Steve, heard of the Old Mecca/Spinning Disc in The Grand ARCADE---only a small point Jimmy Saville started out at The Plaza --Oxford Road ,Manchester and did so well with his double deck turntables he was then given the job of re-viving another Mecca venue in Leeds (where he set a young Mr. Anthony Newton(soon to become Tony Banks(R.I P.) as assistant D.J.

Regards

long time no see

Tony Coleby

Yes you may be right there, I was always led to believe that he started out at the 'Spinning disc', I know for a fact though, that he was the first ever DJ to request a mixer so that he didn't have to pause inbetween each record. Wasn't known as a mixer then of course, but it hailed the birth of the mixing DJ. WHAT A MAN!!!
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Willie Mitchell - The Champion/20-75?/Buster Brown

Jackie Wilson - Higher/Happy/Whispers/I'm The One 2 Do It

Drifters - Baby What I Mean

Major Lance - The Beat

Gospel Classics - More Love

Alvin Cash - Philly Freeze

Chris Jackson - I'll Never Forget You

Toys - Attack/Lovers Concerto

Len Barry - Just Like A Baby/123

Lee Dorsey - Ride Your Pony/Coalmine

Mitch Ryder - You Get Your Kicks

J&B Purify - Do Unto Me

Fontella Bass - I Can't Rest/Rescue Me

Roy Lee Johnson - Boogaloo No3

Turtles - Eleanor/She'd Rather Be With Me

Box Tops - Cry Like A Baby/The Letter

ANY MOTOWN/STAX/ATLANTIC

"Happy Daze" and as someone said earlier they still sound fresh! :P

Social source share

The Drifters-Ill Take You Where The Musics Playing

The Esquires-Get On Up

Inez & Charlie Fox-Baby Drop A Dime

Bill Black-Turn On Your Lovelight

Minnie Epperson-Grab Your Clothes

Booker t-My Sweet Potatoe

San Remo-Im Satisfied

Jaybirds-Somebody Help Me

Ike & Tina-Fingerpoppin

Supremes-I Hear a Symphony

Johnny Taylor-Changes

Peaches and Herb-Were In This Thing Together

Junior Walker-Shotgun

Social source share

Here's some more

Peaches&Herb - Satisfy My Hunger

Doris Troy - I'll Do Anything

Julian Covay - A Little Bit Hurt

Oscar Toney - Comin Home Baby

Sly Stone - Dance/M'Lady/Hot Fun/Thank u

Little Milton - Grits Ain't Groceries

Etta James - Security/Tell Moma

Betty Everett - Getting Mighty Crowded

Billy Preston - Billy's Bag

Fantastic Johnny C - Boogaloo Down Broadway

Memories don't leave like people do! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Ok, I underestimated the interest for this thread so here's another question. What sort of money was changing hands for some of the deleted UK stuff and imports around this time? In 1971 I paid £1.50 plus a Drifters record for 'The Right Track ' on Soul City. I think I earned about £12 a week at the time. This was before any 'Northern' imports were about but I remember things like The Drifters and Percy Sledge 'Baby Help Me' being around 85p from Carlows record shop in Bedford. They had a small import list which later morphed into a big list of the latest 'Northern' By todays prices they were bloody expensive! Motown etc on British were 50p.

Cheers, Steve.

Was Carlows the one by the bus station.?
Social source share

• 4 years later...
Guest popcorn boy

Hi mate , all these tunes before my time by a mile you old git biggrin.gif ....when i got into the music circa 1975 it had already been coined Northern Soul and i remember a lot of the Mecca style sounds being popular..however got to know Glenn Bellamy a few years later....who introduced me to a lot of these kind of oldies. which to me sounded so fresh then as they werent getting played also got me interested in collecting british label releases at the time...and i must confess to having a soft spot for some of these club classics that get sadly overlooked these days !

the problem these days there is no one we can play then to. the reason is they still want to here the handbag pop motown has well. so there's no way i would dj at a real classic pree northern soul night unless run properly with the right djs hey Gibby. he will agree with me.Glenn Bellamy.
Social source share

Slim Harpo's "Baby scratch my back" on Stateside was a big tune at one time...and going back even earlier, when I first started clubbing my local club always used to start the evening by playing a Sue white label promo LP with Homesick James, Elmore James, Bobby Parker etc....when they refitted the place in '68 I rescued it, battered and scratched, from the top of a cupboard. Still got it and wouldn't part with it!

Junior Wells... Gonna Cramp Your Style was another blues tune played

Social source share

Guest dicklincoln72

Some of the stuff I was playing in the late 60's included most of the ones already mentioned plus.

Fantastic Johnny C "Boogaloo Down Boadway"

Don Covay "See Saw" "Have Mercy"

Gene Chandler "Nothing Can Stop Me"

Shirley Ellis "Soul Time"

Betty Everett "Getting Mighty Crowded"

Rex Garvin " Sock It To Em JB"

Mohawks "The Champ"

Edwin Starr "S.O.S" "Headline News"

Olympics "Baby Do The Philly Dog"

Bunny Sigler "Let The Good Times Roll"

Three Caps "Cool Jerk"

Plus loads of Ska and dance stuff like Ides Of March, Pacific Gas & Electric Mr Blo and Sultana.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Were Chris Montez Let's Dance or Hang on Sloopy by The McCoys ever played at the Wheel ?

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert