• Replies 53
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest ShaneH

full respect to the artists. i hope you all get a few quid out of it. its obvious there is some talent on there.

however, the bloke behind it all, with his £30 casio and camcorder, should take this to show to Benidorm. They will love it there

Sorry, but that was awful. Who on earth produced it? Even all the pop acts of today (sugababes, girls aloud etc) have fairly sophisticated production. Why didn't they get a band in? The Jools Holland crew would have done a so much better job of this.

Its a real shame to see these acts paraded like this

Shane

Social source share

Guest Neil-ok

:D

That is bloody awful,i would sooner have a dose of Gonorrhoea,Chlamydia & Syphilis all in one go than listen to that shit.

Social source share

full respect to the artists. i hope you all get a few quid out of it. its obvious there is some talent on there.

however, the bloke behind it all, with his £30 casio and camcorder, should take this to show to Benidorm. They will love it there

Sorry, but that was awful. Who on earth produced it? Even all the pop acts of today (sugababes, girls aloud etc) have fairly sophisticated production. Why didn't they get a band in? The Jools Holland crew would have done a so much better job of this.

Shane

My thoughts exactly Shane

Social source share

Shane

its the ian levine cd.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

What a bargain with the added bonus of a free DVD :D

That is everything i hate in music, someone buy it for Simom M as its right up his disco street :boxing:

awful truly awful :lol:

Social source share

I bought a Noel Mckoy record from Crazy beat it's

Diplomats Of Soul - Feat Noel Mckoy

Someday - cover version of the Donny Hathaway classic, follow the link great voice..

https://www.crazybeat.co.uk/Noel-Mckoy.htm

also a bit about him here..

https://www.soulwalking.co.uk/Noel%20McKoy.html

I just think its a shame they just want to sing in the style they enjoy.. . Then some pants producer makes them sound silly, and hes mate videos them in the street or in the park so then they look silly as well.....

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Great effert by the artists vocaly but..Mr Levine as a terrible choice for the backing tracks for these songs...Me Says YUCK..feel sorry for the artist Ian has convinced to record by laying some great voices of soul over a poor poor produced cheap electronic backing track...Crapppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp.

Edited by biggray1
Social source share

"Coming in September 2007 the most important brand new album in the entire history of the Northern Soul scene"

Whoever wrote this ought to be offered a job writing sitcoms for the BBC, it's the funniest thing I've heard since Derek and Clives "Live".

Was thinking the same!

Social source share

the bloke behind it all, with his £30 casio and camcorder,

If he'd tried some 60's esq numbers with maybe the Angelo Starr chap.. Stabbing horns, backing singers, a few (real) instruments .. Could have been interesting.

As is - cheap tacky crap. thmbdn.gif

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

Guest Neil-ok

Isn't that Man Citys midfield ?

:lol:

If he'd tried some 60's esq numbers with maybe the Angelo Starr chap.. Stabbing horns, backing singers, a few (real) instruments .. Could have benn interesting.

As is - cheap tacky crap. thmbdn.gif

Must admit the Angelo Starr input nearly got me to buy it :lol: .

Social source share

Guest Neil-ok

Excuse me,but if no one likes the thing why have they posted it up wacko.gif

Since when was it a "i like it" post?,toodarnsouldful was asking if anyone had seen it,the comments it got are reflective of what people think are they not?.

Social source share

Stars on 45 northern soul megamix :lol:

Now THAT's an idea. If I put my money into doing such a project can I count on all Soul-Sourcers to support it and buy a copy? I'll do a good discount, especially if you pay in advance.

RRP £12.99, Soul Source price only £5.00 + £1.25 P&P must be paid in advance by paypal to wouldilie@soulon45mix.com

Phil

Social source share

Playing devil's advocate here............but is the Angelo Starr material acceptable because it's Edwin's brother??? Seems an interesting coincidence that it's he who has been singled out!!!

I'd personally recommend you listen to Vanessa Haynes own recent solo album...............she's a real talent............but I think a lot on here would not identify with that either, so ya can't win really can ya???

If it's new and not Northern/rare/on 45 etc then it's pants..............make something new that emulates the Northern sound and it's pants................no discussion to be had is there??? The outcome is predictable.

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Playing devil's advocate here............but is the Angelo Starr material acceptable because it's Edwin's brother??? Seems an interesting coincidence that it's he who has been singled out!!!

I'd personally recommend you listen to Vanessa Haynes own recent solo album...............she's a real talent............but I think a lot on here would not identify with that either, so ya can't win really can ya???

If it's new and not Northern/rare/on 45 etc then it's pants..............make something new that emulates the Northern sound and it's pants................no discussion to be had is there??? The outcome is predictable.

Cheers,

Mark R

hi mark

do you like it?

would you play it out?

shane

Social source share

Guest Neil-ok

Cheers,

Mark R

Why is it a coincidence Mark? just a pot shot from me,it could have been Jimmy James would that be ok?.

No disrespect to the individual artists but more the whole set up and the way it is aimed at the Soul market.

Social source share

This just shows that Berry Gordy knew exactly what he was talking about. The most important thing, the song writers. Then the producers, arrangers, session musicians.......oh and we need a singer......er get someone out of the office.....Sorry but decent singers are two a penny, all the others are not.

Instead of trying to help out struggling singers, Ian should be looking for song writers, producers, and top notch musicians. Instead of dumbing down northern soul to sound like all the latest electronic pap.....It's not just the voice that makes northern sound so good, it's the whole production of people playing real instruments......

Better still, just leave us alone and get another boy band, PLEASE!

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I bought a Noel Mckoy record from Crazy beat it's

Diplomats Of Soul - Feat Noel Mckoy

Someday - cover version of the Donny Hathaway classic, follow the link great voice..

https://www.crazybeat.co.uk/Noel-Mckoy.htm

also a bit about him here..

https://www.soulwalking.co.uk/Noel%20McKoy.html

I just think its a shame they just want to sing in the style they enjoy.. . Then some pants producer makes them sound silly, and hes mate videos them in the street or in the park so then they look silly as well.....

Not bad, but his "determined man" on the same page, is better, I would consider playing it out!

RealPlayer_Session_20070813_2359.mp3

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

This just shows that Berry Gordy knew exactly what he was talking about. The most important thing, the song writers. Then the producers, arrangers, session musicians.......oh and we need a singer......er get someone out of the office.....Sorry but decent singers are two a penny, all the others are not.

Instead of trying to help out struggling singers, Ian should be looking for song writers, producers, and top notch musicians. Instead of dumbing down northern soul to sound like all the latest electronic pap.....It's not just the voice that makes northern sound so good, it's the whole production of people playing real instruments......

Better still, just leave us alone and get another boy band, PLEASE!

very true :)

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Bit of a missed opportunity really, i'm prepared to give Ian the benefit of the doubt but i couldn't hear the music for the intrusive voice-over :)

Social source share

hi mark

do you like it?

would you play it out?

shane

I didn't even think of it from that angle to be honest Shane...........I'm not a Northern jock, so it's largely irrelevant to me................I'd need to listen again mate to make that judgement, but I would hazard a guess that I could find merit in at least some of the tracks in terms of playing out............but of course I wouldn't do that cos I'd be scared of what the soul police thought!! :)

In reality, whatever folk think of Levine, I don't think he's naive enough to think he's gonna sell many copies to folks on boards like this............with the interest in the NS in recent years, I'm sure it's people on the fringe he's expecting to sell to.

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Northern Soul is not a product that you can make its something that's found and not of the mainstream.

Where will this get played ?, I can't see it being played at a 4 year olds birthday party.

Like things like "Peanut Duck" then.............but.............wait a minute...........

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Like things like "Peanut Duck" then.............but.............wait a minute...........

Cheers,

Mark R

Mark,

Do your seriously think this forthcoming project is good on any level at all?

Derek

Social source share

What Market is Ian Levine aiming for.. the album is called Northern Soul 2007 or some thing, but Ian must know what makes the Northern Scene tick.. love him or hate him he has been around long enough, to understand it.. if some one had played this album to him when he was younger what would he have thought...

If you could actually hear the tracks in full it would only probably be the music and production side that lets it down. Ian knows how all this is important to the soul scene.. I don't mean this in a nasty have a go at him way but I wonder if he has lost the feel for real soul music.

I imagine he even put some of hes own money into it.. which is a bit of a shame as I don't think he will be geting that back..

I wonder who he really thinks will buy this CD..

Social source share

Reading these posts and listening to it on You Tube, my opinion is that most peoples problems are with the backing tracks. Well my main problem is. The music sounds shite, not the artists voices necessarily. As one of my old school reports once said "could do better". I'm actually surprised he didn't have his other X Factor mate on there. :)

Social source share

I'd personally recommend you listen to Vanessa Haynes own recent solo album...............she's a real talent............

Listened to her track and thought "nice voice, shame about the backing track" so maybe I'll follow your advice.

but I think a lot on here would not identify with that either, so ya can't win really can ya???

Don't see any need for that sort of comment really, but everyones entitled etc

I'm going to play them to my missus and see what she says cos she is absolutely infallible in identifying good records having not been involved in anything Northern Soul related since 1975.

It is the most humbling thing having lashed out on some must have record and when it finally arrives and is flashed onto the deck to hear the words "That's nice dear" in that "not really" tone.

More to follow ...

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Why?.. Mark its trying to get sales buy calling it a Northern cd when it clearly isn't,i cant say more than that.

But what's "Northern" anyway Neil? It was a phrase based on geography, coined to distinguish it from the funkier music being played elsewhere. I conceed that by definition at that time these were 60's & early 70's recordings, but this terminology and what it encompasses have got stretched beyond belief over the years. In fact, I always think of it as signifying a way of life as much as the musical content these days.

I'll ask again..............would a CD containing a host of tracks like, say, Mike Vickers "On The Brink", be a Northern CD?? It might be, but surely only because that record found acceptance on the scene.........not because it's "proper 60's soul" or whatever!!

BUT............the point is, you pays your money and you takes your choice............and most on here will choose to ignore this new material and that's their perrogative.

I'm not trying to dig at anyone, or the NS scene at all here.........absolutely not.........I staunchly defend it all as far as I can if it's "knocked" when in company, and though I moved away from it years ago I still love most of the music to bits...........I just try to keep an open mind and get really interested in understanding the psyche behind some of the attitudes/opinions etc associated with it. Threads like this bring that to the fore, and I don't mean to offend!

Respect, as always,

Mark R

Social source share

Mark ® I read your posts and I agree with some of what you say.. I have moved on maybe a bit slower than others but its a start.

I have also in my previous posts put a link up to crazybeat records and Noel Mckoys - version of someday. which I think is a quality bit of soul.

but listerning to the you tube clip.. there is no way on earth any one can say that this is a Northern Soul CD.. this isn't even soul its Crap.. the arrangments let the artists down.. if the backing on these cd's was as good as the artists I wouldn't think twice at buying it..

Social source share

I really cant understand Ian Levine, he went from hero to villain and in a nostalgic way seemed to be getting a lot of credit again for what contribution he made to the NS scene, certainly in the late 90s

Just look at the individual record notes in Kev Roberts top 500 NS records book to see his name on virtually every 3rd record as the 'discoverer'. He should leave it at that or go and discover some more stuff, not try and make it.

Its as if he wants the world to think that he can manufacture a sound that puts Northern Soul into a 'one size fits all' box.

If he wants to make records, thats great but nobody ever manufactured a NS record and had it 100%accepted. He could produce something on the scale of 'Too Darn Soulfull' and it would still get rubbished. He is on a hiding to nothing.

He should just make the records as pop. If it sells, it sells. It must be almost impossible to label a record as Northern and get it to sell enough to chart, simply by the fact that there would not be enough 'NS' buyers to acheive it.

Whatever credibility he had as an NS icon, he is loosing very quickly.

Ed

Social source share

Just had a look at it on You Tube and to be honest I could only stand to watch 3 minutes tops, the artists looked good & as previously said I hope they make a couple of quid for their efforts but every song sounded as if it had the same backing track. I use to have a lot of respect for Mr Levine (sure its his) & I give him 10 out of 10 for persistance but it's not for me & I'm sure I'm not alone on this, time for him to return to boy bands me thinks? I'd sooner listen to played out oldies than this stuff. :lol:thmbdn.gif

Soulfully Yours,

Spot. :lol:

Edited by spot
Social source share

Excuse me,but if no one likes the thing why have they posted it up wacko.gif

I have to assume you're not from these parts stranger. It's a part of the British heritage

to stand on the sidelines, achieve nothing yourself but slate everyone who does. The bloke

has been a self made millionaire (the rumours he got money from Dad is b**lsh*t and

fantasy) got a few hit records in his time, DJ'd at all the big 70T's all-nighters, tried valiantly

to get a true NS style all-nighter going in London....................the bastard...........how

dare he..............let's rip the a*se out of him, I mean, he likes Dr Who, that's close enough

to being a child molester, he collects Superman comics, that's on a par with suicide bombing,

c'mon let's all get 'im............................b u n d l e..................................

sleep3.gif

Social source share

Guest Neil-ok

But what's "Northern" anyway Neil? It was a phrase based on geography, coined to distinguish it from the funkier music being played elsewhere. I conceed that by definition at that time these were 60's & early 70's recordings, but this terminology and what it encompasses have got stretched beyond belief over the years. In fact, I always think of it as signifying a way of life as much as the musical content these days.

I'll ask again..............would a CD containing a host of tracks like, say, Mike Vickers "On The Brink", be a Northern CD?? It might be, but surely only because that record found acceptance on the scene.........not because it's "proper 60's soul" or whatever!!

BUT............the point is, you pays your money and you takes your choice............and most on here will choose to ignore this new material and that's their perrogative.

I'm not trying to dig at anyone, or the NS scene at all here.........absolutely not.........I staunchly defend it all as far as I can if it's "knocked" when in company, and though I moved away from it years ago I still love most of the music to bits...........I just try to keep an open mind and get really interested in understanding the psyche behind some of the attitudes/opinions etc associated with it. Threads like this bring that to the fore, and I don't mean to offend!

Respect, as always,

Mark R

No problems Mark thumbsup.gif every one is allowed their opinion and you make some valid points.

But no matter how you look at it its not the sort of stuff i would buy and would be surprised if it sold that many copies.

Social source share

Guest Neil-ok

I have to assume you're not from these parts stranger. It's a part of the British heritage

to stand on the sidelines, achieve nothing yourself but slate everyone who does. The bloke

has been a self made millionaire (the rumours he got money from Dad is b**lsh*t and

fantasy) got a few hit records in his time, DJ'd at all the big 70T's all-nighters, tried valiantly

to get a true NS style all-nighter going in London....................the bastard...........how

dare he..............let's rip the a*se out of him, I mean, he likes Dr Who, that's close enough

to being a child molester, he collects Superman comics, that's on a par with suicide bombing,

c'mon let's all get 'im............................b u n d l e..................................

sleep3.gif

So that means we all have to like it then Chris L?.

I have no problem with the man himself.

Social source share

But no matter how you look at it its not the sort of stuff i would buy and would be surprised if it sold that many copies.

I wouldn't necessarily say I'd disagree actually mate..............certainly not something I'd buy...........go to the modern soul Refosoul thread for that thumbup.gif

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert