Anything Soulful In London ?

Guest mark shepherd

Guest mark shepherd

On a buying trip, wednesday and thursday,

just wondering if theres anything on this wenesday evening london (august 15th)

(just to keep me out of the lap dancing clubs,and saving me money to spend on records cool.gif )

cheers, shep

Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

(just to keep me out of the lap dancing clubs,and saving me money to spend on records cool.gif )

cheers, shep

What happened to New Chapter in August . I think girthdevon might know ..

Social source share

cheers, shep

There used to be a dancer in Spearmint Rhino's (not too long ago), who liked the philly sound of PIR. She said that she liked them cos her dad used to play them when she was little. :wicked:

Any of you guys out there, got a lap dancing daughter?

It's also happy hour with 2 for 1 drinks from 5-7pm, which makes the beers good value.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

There used to be a dancer in Spearmint Rhino's (not too long ago), who liked the philly sound of PIR. She said that she liked them cos her dad used to play them when she was little. :wub:

Any of you guys out there, got a lap dancing daughter?

It's also happy hour with 2 for 1 drinks from 5-7pm, which makes the beers good value.

its happy hour in there for most men even if they gave away the beer for nothing,

even some quality soul couldnt tempt me to go into one of them places though as i personally find them very sad,

Anyway there was an evening somewhere in London but not sure what night it was on that a couple of fellas put on but it was all off CD but i remember seeing some pics and they got a good crowd in too, i will try and see if i can find any info on it :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

wasn't that london cd do some thing to do with the top 500 or some thing

yes Paul they mentioned it because they said they didnt have every single of the top 500 although they wished they had (dont we all £££££ ) as one may be requested or any tune outside top 500 too it would be better to do it all off of CD, they was just putting on a night so there was somewhere to go if people wanted too, did they call it Jukebox or something similar :wicked:

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

theres wheelybags at the pillars of hercules, greek st

not so much a soul thing but a mobile dj with a quiz, it's gotta be seen thats all i can say, he plays a nice mix of 60's music, rnb and all sorts, think it starts about 6

think there maybe something on after opposite but cant remember,

should be a few people in there that can help you out tho

Social source share

not so much a soul thing but a mobile dj with a quiz, it's gotta be seen thats all i can say, he plays a nice mix of 60's music, rnb and all sorts, think it starts about 6

Wheeliebag's on holiday at the moment. he might be back next week or the week after. it's on 6:30 - 10. the thing opposite is the Stag-O-Lee club at the New Evaristo, which is just a white doorway opposite, starts around 9:30 i think? has a late licence.

Social source share

Just to clarify things about "A New Chapter"

Last months event was called off a couple of days before due to the incompetence of the management (cocking up our dates for the second month running).

It`s something i was (and still am) very angry about.

I`ve been extremely busy since with other things and haven`t had time to contact Steve or Girth (i`ve not heard anything from them either) to discuss future nights/dates etc.

If we`ve been kicked out due to not enough punters then it`s news to me as we have constantly been told that the management were happy with the takings.

Mark Houghton

Social source share

Last months event was called off a couple of days before due to the incompetence of the management (cocking up our dates for the second month running).

I`ve been extremely busy since with other things and haven`t had time to contact Steve or Girth (i`ve not heard anything from them either) to discuss future nights/dates etc.

If we`ve been kicked out due to not enough punters then it`s news to me as we have constantly been told that the management were happy with the takings.

Mark Houghton

Mark

I'd imagine that Girth would drink enough to satisfy any bar manager :(

Derek

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

If There isnt anything going on in Shoreditch this week. Take a number 8 bus from Liverpool Street and it drops you more or less outside the Pleasure unit in Bethnal green (5 minutes from the tube).

Does the same guy still own it? Lots of mod/soul sounds over the speakers if he does.

Social source share

If There isnt anything going on in Shoreditch this week. Take a number 8 bus from Liverpool Street and it drops you more or less outside the Pleasure unit in Bethnal green (5 minutes from the tube).

Does the same guy still own it? Lots of mod/soul sounds over the speakers if he does.

it's a bit more band/indie orientated these days. has a website with what's on, should be easy to search for

Social source share

Mark Houghton

How many people do the management expect to get in there (Smersh or whatever it is called now)?

I think the top 500 thing mentioned was in Highbury somewhere.

Social source share

I think the top 500 thing mentioned was in Highbury somewhere.

the Buffalo Bar. run by the guy who does a successful indie club called How Does It Feel - which is a very bizarre mix of Belle & Sebastian style obscure twee indie and the usual overplayed soul oldies (Do I Love You, Nowhere to Run, etc), but seems to work with the indie kids

Social source share

the Buffalo Bar. run by the guy who does a successful indie club called How Does It Feel - which is a very bizarre mix of Belle & Sebastian style obscure twee indie and the usual overplayed soul oldies (Do I Love You, Nowhere to Run, etc), but seems to work with the indie kids

Thats strange, I used to work with a bloke who used to run a night named after a Belle & Sebastian record & they played the same mix as above. Think it used to be in Farringdon, can't remember his name but indirectly he was responsible for me getting back on the scene. He showed me a newsletter that he used to produce & it mentioned that they played northern. I said I used to be into it & did him a couple of tapes & he asked me to write a bit for his news letter. He then went on to change it, substituting ambience for atmosphere ( or should that be the other way round?) etc ...firkin twat.

But through talking to him about the scene it pricked my interest, so when I read that there was a northern night in Soho, out of interest I popped along ........oh dear what a pile of the mucky stuff but I met mad Janet & Ben who kept pestering me to come to a proper do which was how I ended up at the CSC in Shoreditch..... & I promised myself I wouldn't start buying any more records huh.gif:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Carrie Mehome

Hiya Jo, I thought Wheeliebag didn't have that venue anymore? Yeah directly opposite the Hercules there's a late nite schmoozy dimly-lit kinda place which I used to go to when I worked in Soho (ahem... as a P.A. not as anything else I hasten to add lol!). :thumbsup:

Social source share

cheers, shep

...soul....London.....Uh!......? tongue.gif:thumbsup:

Social source share

cheers, shep

I would'nt have thought so.......its darn sarf..they have'nt got a clue down there :lol::thumbsup:wicked.gif

Bazza

Social source share

Thats strange, I used to work with a bloke who used to run a night named after a Belle & Sebastian record & they played the same mix as above. Think it used to be in Farringdon, can't remember his name but indirectly he was responsible for me getting back on the scene. He showed me a newsletter that he used to produce & it mentioned that they played northern. I said I used to be into it & did him a couple of tapes & he asked me to write a bit for his news letter. He then went on to change it, substituting ambience for atmosphere ( or should that be the other way round?) etc ...firkin twat.

But through talking to him about the scene it pricked my interest, so when I read that there was a northern night in Soho, out of interest I popped along ........oh dear what a pile of the mucky stuff but I met mad Janet & Ben who kept pestering me to come to a proper do which was how I ended up at the CSC in Shoreditch..... & I promised myself I wouldn't start buying any more records :boxing::thumbsup:

The guy who ran the CD night (and How does it feel) is Ian Watson who used to be a music jurno NME it think. The management at the Buffalo closed it some time ago due to lack of numbers.

The How does it feel nights are running somewhere off Oxford Street - its 'interesting' to see all these kids shouting and dancing to the aforementioned oldies as long as you dont mind people standing on the dancefloor (and in my case being the oldest swinger in town lol)

Dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert