The Bloody Snake

Bitchdj

• Replies 122
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

thought i had nodded off on my sofa last nite and was having a nightmare when i heard al wilson -the snake...on a bloody advert...is there no escape from this dross???... :no:

cookie :thumbsup:

There's a lot worse played on the radio/adverts every day. Unfortunately, we don't have any control over it. For that matter, there was/is a lot worse played on the "rare" soul scene since the 6ts to the present day.

Just a matter of taste, opinion, attitude.

The Snake still holds a place in my heart from the first time around, ish. I don't play it out of choice nowadays, but when it comes on the mp3 player in shuffle mode, I certainly don't switch it off. But I obviously like dross!.

Paul

Social source share

dont get me wrong i never play it at home or out BUT its not dross in my opinion,its a good tune if judged as a tune and not on the ammount of times die hard soul fans have heard it over the last 40 years or so....so yes most on here are bored of it and dont wanna listen or dance to it but for those hearing it the first time (as with a lot of us)its very different.....thats what i think anyway :thumbsup:

Social source share

do you thinks those dance moves will catch on??? :( ......still they av kept it working class...lambrini ewwwwwwwww...i am such a snobbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

cookie :no:

Caught on with my Daughter.

Her & her mate were dancing round in my bloody living room last night to that.

They must have played it about 50 freaking times :thumbsup:

Social source share

Well I'm gonna come right out and say it, I F**** Love the Snake, wanna listen to some 2007 pop crap, or would you rather listen to the something like the Snake, I know which one I'm gonna go for

They are all oldies the rare uns, easy ones, overplayed, underplayed ones, does not matter to me if its a great track its a great track..!! and while I'm at it I'm gonna say i like Kiki Dee on a magic carpet ride as well...

There goes the little credibility I ever had!!! laughs

Mal.C. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Well I'm gonna come right out and say it, I F**** Love the Snake, wanna listen to some 2007 pop crap, or would you rather listen to the something like the Snake, I know which one I'm gonna go for

They are all oldies the rare uns, easy ones, overplayed, underplayed ones, does not matter to me if its a great track its a great track..!! and while I'm at it I'm gonna say i like Kiki Dee on a magic carpet ride as well...

Mal.C. :no:

Ok, ime with you on this. Ace record. My kids love the record. and all 3 of them have got it on there Ipods, one 19, ones 17, and ones 15 the oldist is at Huddlefield Uni, and she tells me that when there partying at night and this comes on the place erupts.She wants me to put some more similer Stuff on a CD so the DJ at the Night Club they use can do a Northern half hour. The 17 year old is a apprentice for Babcocks in Tipton similer story there hes in digs at the mo with 17 lads as there not allowed to drink they sit around in the digs listening to the Ipod through the Istation the snake comes on and there all up dancing and backfliping Now they want some more northern to cheer up a boring night in digs. the youngest is the same hes a school he loves his northern and is allway raiding my records for new tunes to play his mates at school, the snake is one of the school faves. for the last 2 years ive had to do a cd for the school discos of northern and motown as he Djs there and the Soul Hour is a big hit. out of this the teachers picked up on the craze and started to teach the kids about the civil rights movement, Martin Luther King. etc etc.

So it just gos to show what a record can do, an overplayed and much overlooked record to us old codgers. but to new ears it has become a door way to a new type of music and to some a means of expanding knowledge and as such means soul music has been exposed to another generation and maybe out of that. a few may take it further. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Mal, I agree with your Snake comments. However, i can't have you liking Kiki Dee. I insist that you send back that copy of Ray & the Bel Aires immediately. On a magic carpet ride indeed! ;-)

Sean

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Mal.C. :thumbsup:

Dont worry Mal, you cant lose what you never had.

BTW Mark is bringing the CDs down to the 100 on saturday. Are you going? If so he hasnt been able to copy them, if you can do the honours and send them bacl to me, that would be grand. (Sorry for going off topic.)

The Snake rools! As does fortune Teller, and Hide Nor Hair. Songs with stories Rool!

Social source share

Mal, I agree with your Snake comments. However, i can't have you liking Kiki Dee. I insist that you send back that copy of Ray & the Bel Aires immediately. On a magic carpet ride indeed! ;-)

Sean

Ha ha, yeah I know.....

I'm Sorry Sean.. :thumbsup: Hey Mike, I'll call you in a bit... thats it for off topic!!

COME ON LETS RALLY BEHIND THE SNAKE!!!

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Come on then who has danced to the SNAKE ?

i have and loads more people have ,cracking tune in its day ,so why slag it of you wanker.gif:thumbsup::no:

Ooooooooh wanker.gif indeed...am i not allowed an opinion???...sick of hearing it .....sick of being asked to play it...yes its there in the soul archives i probs danced to it.IN ITS DAY as you said..and yes it may sound good to fresh ears but i for one am sick of it ....next thing you know it will be in the bloody charts off the back of the advert...then there will be no escape...

cookie :(

Edited by bitchdj
Social source share

Ooooooooh wanker.gif indeed...am i not allowed an opinion???...sick of hearing it .....sick of being asked to play it...yes its there in the soul archives i probs danced to it.IN ITS DAY as you said..and yes it may sound good to fresh ears but i for one am sick of it ....next thing you know it will be in the bloody charts off the back of the advert...then there will be no escape...

cookie :no:

Get out of the closset young lady ,you love itttttttttttt not_i.gif:(:thumbsup:

Social source share

While it would take cattle prodders to get me to dance to The Snake, it is the sort of track that appeals to non soul people. I imagine many on SS don't particularly want to hear Ghost In The House, The Night, etc, but I've seen them fill a dance floor with people whom you wouldn't classify as soulies. They are enjoying it so no harm done.

I'm sure everyone has a favourite classic oldie, and are pleased when they hear it. And even some that are not particular favourites are nice to hear out occasionally. Judy Street's What always gets me out on the floor, you don't hear it that much do you? The other week I heard You've Got Your Mind On Other Things played, can't think who sings it, memory letting me down yet again. But it was nice to hear it.

However saying that, a whole evening of classic top 500 stompers begins to pall after a while. Yet I know people who find the rarer medium or slower tempo records boring, so just got to accept we are all different.

If The Snake became a hit, it may encourage some people to investigate our music further, and maybe give some money to Al Wilson or his family.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

While it would take cattle prodders to get me to dance to The Snake, it is the sort of track that appeals to non soul people. I imagine many on SS don't particularly want to hear Ghost In The House, The Night, etc, but I've seen them fill a dance floor with people whom you wouldn't classify as soulies. They are enjoying it so no harm done.

I'm sure everyone has a favourite classic oldie, and are pleased when they hear it. And even some that are not particular favourites are nice to hear out occasionally. Judy Street's What always gets me out on the floor, you don't hear it that much do you? The other week I heard You've Got Your Mind On Other Things played, can't think who sings it, memory letting me down yet again. But it was nice to hear it.

However saying that, a whole evening of classic top 500 stompers begins to pall after a while. Yet I know people who find the rarer medium or slower tempo records boring, so just got to accept we are all different.

If The Snake became a hit, it may encourage some people to investigate our music further, and maybe give some money to Al Wilson or his family.

Beverley Ann sung You got your mind... Geoff

I've happily danced to the snake many times.

At scooter rallies in the early and mid 80s, when the night was filled up with stuff like King Kurt, The Clash, Spear of Destiny, Reggae and TV Theme tunes. Al Wilson coming over the speakers sounded like pure heaven.

Social source share

when i first got into the scene i loved The Snake fed up hearing it now the wife loves it (but she has only been into our scene 6 years) in a way its a good thing only hope Al gets some money for it being used but like Geoff said i wouldnt mind if it got into the charts might even get some new blood into our scene. ( Geoff "beverly Ann you've got your mind on other things" Brill oldie)

Social source share

Beverley Ann sung You got your mind... Geoff

I've happily danced to the snake many times.

At scooter rallies in the early and mid 80s, when the night was filled up with stuff like King Kurt, The Clash, Spear of Destiny, Reggae and TV Theme tunes. Al Wilson coming over the speakers sounded like pure heaven.

Have to agree, Scooter rallies were such fun, you get to hear loads of music, I bought king Kurt and the Meteors and all that, just remember to leave the ring when the skin heads start wrekkin!

Ooo Walla Walla!!!

Mal

Social source share

Have to agree, Scooter rallies were such fun, you get to hear loads of music, I bought king Kurt and the Meteors and all that, just remember to leave the ring when the skin heads start wrekkin!

Ooo Walla Walla!!!

Mal

we are the wrekkkin crew :no: & the liberator brill tunes :thumbsup:

Jock

Social source share

Sometimes when something comes on that you haven't heard in years, it gets a new lease of life. That doesn't apply to the snake. Ever.

Pure Fromage.

Wonder if Wigans Chosen Few is next be afraid be very afraid can just hear it now Footseeeeeee yeah Advertising some foot cream nightmare Time :thumbsup:

jock

Social source share

do you thinks those dance moves will catch on??? :yes: ......still they av kept it working class...lambrini ewwwwwwwww...i am such a snobbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

cookie :lol:

God this could of been me talking :hypo: know just what u mean - nearly fell off my chair myself!!! This is a close second to when we went to Whitby and god help me this was played twice in the afternoon - and worse still people danced .......... needless to say I didnt go again........meeeeoooooooooow

Doris

Social source share

we are the wrekkkin crew :yes: & the liberator brill tunes :lol:

Jock

dont forget wipe out /the sufaris,psycho/the sonics and sanctuary by the cult !!

best northern tunes on the rallies in the 80s for me were im coming home and im gonna give you tomorrow...and i still luv em and judy street..sorry but its true....

Social source share

God this could of been me talking :yes: know just what u mean - nearly fell off my chair myself!!! This is a close second to when we went to Whitby and god help me this was played twice in the afternoon - and worse still people danced .......... needless to say I didnt go again........meeeeoooooooooow

Doris

they should have used it for Vodka kick :lol:

Jock

Social source share

I once argued with a friend who is in a succesful rock band about the merits of bands like Mcfly (on topic, stay with me) and busted, being a gateway band, and maybe a few 10 yr old busted fans will go on to find AC/DC or Moterhead.

No reason Big Al cant do that for us. Thought the ad was ace. :lol:

Social source share

Guest clanger v2

My daughter is 15 and into all this urban R&B tosh.....but she loves The Snake :lol:

As has been said........to most on the soul scene, it's pure cheese.....but to new ears it's an energetic, enthusiastic track that grabs you and makes you tap your feet.

This along with the energy and enjoyment of the dancers on the advert......it becomes infectious.

Dont be surprised if this charts.......

Edited by clanger v2
Social source share

My 2 girls love it and they are 10 & 14 they know all the words cos it was only a few years back it was new to me and yes it is still great to hear it out every now (blue moon) and maybe thats why Mischief plays it so much i dont know

Social source share

my daughters into crap rnb too,used to moan about me playing northern in the car but doesnt anymore,she wanted to go see "hairspray " the other week,i wasnt so sure at first but as it turned out to be about when us music was changing from rock n roll to rnb/soul i enjoyed it too....now she wants the cd..even queen latifahs character was called big maybelle....so if the snake charts too its gotta be good...youngblood in the scene is always good however they get here..

the half hour northern slots at clubs mentioned earlier reminds me of the 70s school disco/youth clubs when all the people who werent into it would stand in circles watching the dancers do there stuff...

Social source share

THE WINE THEY ADVERTISE IN A WORD IS PIFFLE (yak)

tut tut you don't get it ...its advertising to a "younger " market!!

If it brings in new blood to the scene looking for that kind of dance music then bring it on

Ps I drink gallons of it and I don't care who knows! :lol:

I know we have vinyl snobbery on here but alcohol snobbery shame on you all PMSL :yes:

Social source share

tut tut you don't get it ...its advertising to a "younger " market!!

If it brings in new blood to the scene looking for that kind of dance music then bring it on

Ps I drink gallons of it and I don't care who knows! :yes:

I know we have vinyl snobbery on here but alcohol snobbery shame on you all PMSL :hypo:

OH ...........PS thats probably why all my teeth are falling out LOL :lol:

Social source share

It won't bring new blood in... look at all the fat kids you see in KFC they could do with a good dance to loose some weight.. but did any of them show up after the last adverts ... NO

any way imagine some 18 year old and hes mates turning up at a do.. everyone would be checking there bags was ok..

the 18 year olds would wonder why everyone in the room was the same age as there parents if not older...

Sorry can't see it ever happening..

On the scooter scene a lot of the kids have been going to rallys for years as soon as they are old enough the want to go with there mates and be part of the crowd... I really think being individual as a youngster has gone now.

you used to get more than 1 or 2 fashions on the St but now its Chav or Goth.. thats it.

(IMO) :lol:

Just like to add Bearsy's a CHAV

Edited by mischief
Social source share

I bet its not lambrinis fault tho eh? LOL :hypo:

Btw ...do you think the're trying to nick KFC's thunder???? :yes:

Mand

no it's not Mandy :lol: innocent :lol:

Don't forget the felix catfood adds used to enjoy felix runnin around to Rubin

KFC boring now since they stopped using the music

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Well, I like The Bloody Snake and I'm very proud of the fact that it's coming out on a Kent CD, for the first time ever, in January 2008, along with 21 other jolly good 60s and early 70s Al Wilson recordings for Soul City and Carousel...

...so there! :lol:

Social source share

It won't bring new blood in... look at all the fat kids you see in KFC they could do with a good dance to loose some weight.. but did any of them show up after the last adverts ... NO

any way imagine some 18 year old and hes mates turning up at a do.. everyone would be checking there bags was ok..

the 18 year olds would wonder why everyone in the room was the same age as there parents if not older...

Sorry can't see it ever happening..

On the scooter scene a lot of the kids have been going to rallys for years as soon as they are old enough the want to go with there mates and be part of the crowd... I really think being individual as a youngster has gone now.

you used to get more than 1 or 2 fashions on the St but now its Chav or Goth.. thats it.

(IMO) :lol:

Just like to add Bearsy's a CHAV

Where do the scooter rallies usually end up at the end of their journey? theres lots of old blokes on scooters too as well as on the N/s scene

I would say they arent following the old folks but the scooters and the music ?

Correct me if I'm wrong :yes:

Social source share

Ooo Walla Walla!!!

Mal

[/quote

I danced to the snake at Scooter rallies in the eighties,, mind you was allso into King Kurt,Meteors

and grass skirts :lol: all part of my youth!!

My daughter likes it.. not that I held onto it or anything from back in the day :yes:

Social source share

Where do the scooter rallies usually end up at the end of their journey? Depends where they are going IOW, Hemsby skeggy Mersey and so on

theres lots of old blokes on scooters too as well as on the N/s scene Yeh and some are an embarresment in thier 60's ridding round with Parkas on.. its not a good look.. they don't help you if you come off and they don't stop you getting wet in the rain.. when you have a 200 mile journey ahead of you they don't even keep you warm..

I would say they arent following the old folks but the scooters and the music ? what I meant is the youngsters stop going when they are old enough you don't get new blood on the rallies any more, and I really think a lot of scooterist out grow the scooter scene and move on to the soul scene, so when theres no new blood on the scooter scene it will dwindle away and you will only be left with the collectors with garages full of scooters and no one to sell them to... uuummm sounds like some thing else..

Correct me if I'm wrong :lol:about what?

Social source share

It won't bring new blood in... look at all the fat kids you see in KFC they could do with a good dance to loose some weight.. but did any of them show up after the last adverts ... NO...hang on a minute paul..didnt you and chris and pet kelross start coming to northern events at about that time?

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

It won't bring new blood in... look at all the fat kids you see in KFC they could do with a good dance to loose some weight..

Oi Mischief thats a bit sizeist !!!

I dance all night and i aint no size 8 not all fat people are lazy.......

You can go off people you know.

XX

Social source share

It won't bring new blood in... look at all the fat kids you see in KFC they could do with a good dance to loose some weight..

Oi Mischief thats a bit sizeist !!!

I dance all night and i aint no size 8 not all fat people are lazy.......

You can go off people you know.

XX

Helen I'm big round the middle so never meant it in an anti fat way... but I am lazy...

I just wanted to have a go at KFC kids thats all...and Chavs

xx

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert