Getto Kitty - Stand Up & Be Counted - Stroud

Sunnysoul

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Was this played on the soul scene in the 70's ? Mecca perhaps ?

Or has it ever been played to any great degree on the scene at any time since ?

Appeared on one of Keb Darge's funk/disco compilation LP's a few years ago, was Keb the main man for playing/breaking this sound ?

think you'll find it was one of dr.bob jones's contributions on the album

Social source share

Was this played on the soul scene in the 70's ? Mecca perhaps ?

Or has it ever been played to any great degree on the scene at any time since ?

Appeared on one of Keb Darge's funk/disco compilation LP's a few years ago, was Keb the main man for playing/breaking this sound ?

Occasional plays really - been more of a funk record than a northern one. We've all dabbled with it from time to time...Steve

Social source share

Tried it years ago and it didn't work then because its a Funk record.

Yep, that's what I thought, but when playing it recently, got a great reaction from the soul crowd, so made me think it's a "just right for today" kind of record ... stylistically not so far removed from Gil Scott-Heron's "The Bottle" and records like that.

Social source share

Yep, that's what I thought, but when playing it recently, got a great reaction from the soul crowd, so made me think it's a "just right for today" kind of record ... stylistically not so far removed from Gil Scott-Heron's "The Bottle" and records like that.

And that's what it's all about isn't it? Trying a 45 - And getting a reaction good or bad. Just because it's labelled as a 'funk 45' doesn't mean it shouldn't be played! Great record. And there's one on Gemm for a bargain price too.....

Rich

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Great record that. I wouldn't consider it funk as such though. More a 7ts soul track with a funk edge to it. I wish more tracks like this were played at Northern nights. I would love a main room that mixed up traditional 6t's with funky soul, 7ts, r&b even a bit of funk.

Social source share

This is a blinder of a track!! gets played constantly in my house, TUNE!!!

Its funny what the soul collectors consider Funk, I used to play what I considered funk to a colleague (Funk collector - Ms Goldie) that I did a radio show show with and she always said What the F*** are you talking about, thats not funk...

Just goes to show..

Mal:)

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

I love the tune. I get to play this on my Soul Jazz show, considering it's an Weldon Irvine production. Truly a brilliant song. Interesting how regionally and internationally songs get put into different genres based on their composition. In my case we look to the producer for classification. Considering the personnel and Irvine's history, we consider this a Soul Jazz single. Much in the vain, as previously stated, as Gil Scot Heron.

"Stand up and be counted, peace and freedom is my goal" - doesn't get much more powerful than that.

Edited by SoulBoy74
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert