Al Downing- I Am Nobody

Citizen P

• Replies 28
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just glancing through Mr. Manships latest auction and came across this.

Surely not that rare or hard to get is it????

Or are we looking at another Party Time Man scenario?

Tony

Yes this actually is very rare but I am willing to let my mint copy go for the first ridiculously high bid, check out the b side it's a must for all modern rooms :rolleyes:

Social source share

The difference with Al Downing and Party time man is simple

"I'm Just Nobody" isnt shit its a nice 7ts dancer

I was only made aware of this 45 a couple of years ago and it was being touted as buy it now before it goes big which I did .There was until quite recently a lot on buy it now from the Ebay at cheap prices. I like it but am amazed just how quickly its shot up in price .

Funny though I havent heard it out or seen it on many playlists in the recent past not that I go out that much.Anyone know whos pushing it?

Adam

Social source share

Guest the dukester

I was only made aware of this 45 a couple of years ago and it was being touted as buy it now before it goes big which I did .There was until quite recently a lot on buy it now from the Ebay at cheap prices. I like it but am amazed just how quickly its shot up in price .

Funny though I havent heard it out or seen it on many playlists in the recent past not that I go out that much.Anyone know whos pushing it?

Adam

Played it at Easington Ocktobernortheastsoulfest, great record (forget the party time man scenario) me thinks this has got a little more.

Social source share

Played it at Easington Ocktobernortheastsoulfest, great record (forget the party time man scenario) me thinks this has got a little more.

Party Time Man Scenario- Let me explain.

I was talking more in terms of silly prices being paid for a tune that is not that rare, not in terms of the quality of the record itself.

Tony

Social source share

Come on all, it's not like this hasn't happen a hundred time before.

People paid high prices for the first copies of 'The Flasher' way back when.

There will always be a cue of trophy hunters or dj's that see a record fill the floor for someone else and want a piece of the action. Their are few of us out there that can't say we haven't been caught up in the buzz or fever around one record or another in the past. A record gets popular, supply outstrips demand so the price goes up, cuz no one will wait. In many cases there is a supply big enough to satisfy demand (like, 'Party time man'), but the speed of that supply getting to the market, didn't match the moment in time everyone wanted it.

Is any of this wrong? hell no, just makes the 'scene' what it is, and why we love it (and we do love it). Drama, intrigue, hero's and villians, better than a soap opera.

Back to the record in question, nice tune. If you want it now, for what ever reason, you'll have to pay the price (make a great song title biggrin.gif ). If you already have it cuz you buy tunes you like, good on ya.

Social source share

Adam

Er it's had a few spins at The Orwell? You know that place where you go virtually every month :lol:

I remember selling Sam a copy a couple of years ago at The Orwell (£25) and he played it in his set on the same night and said it was gonna be a future monster!!!! He gave it a couple of spins over a few months if memory serves but haven't heard him play it out for a while now!

btw I don't think this is easy to find! I don't think it's a mega rarity either BUT young Mr Thorley hit the nail on the head with his succinct views on how this has happened loads of times on the scene!

I reckon it's nowhere near as common as the other 70's things that have crossed over to the Northern scene (Ace Spectrum, Futures, Spinners etc). In the past i'd always sold it at £25 before it was known about on the Northern scene but supply and demand has pushed it up to circa £75 now, so time will tell whether this will rise or drop I guess? Pete Warner on the same label did pretty much the same thing and went from £25 to £150 in a very short period of time too!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Er it's had a few spins at The Orwell? You know that place where you go virtually every month :lol:

I remember selling Sam a copy a couple of years ago at The Orwell (£25) and he played it in his set on the same night and said it was gonna be a future monster!!!! He gave it a couple of spins over a few months if memory serves but haven't heard him play it out for a while now!

Cheers

Steve

Yes I know it was played at the Orwell Steve but couldnt remember who by because it was a while ago :lol: .

To be honest I was meaning the playing of it at Northern venues because you know how much I like going to those on a regular basis :D .

Adam

Social source share

Guest ruffsounds

first issued on Columbia 443185 in 64 but was the a side so i'm wondering why it is b side on the Polydor 76 issue and why is it seemingly gonna be so damn expensive when issued twice in the States and once in Germany surely it cant be that rare.

ruffsounds

Social source share

Guest the dukester

Just glancing through Mr. Manships latest auction and came across this.

Surely not that rare or hard to get is it????

Tony

Starting to creep up in price on the auction :lol:

.........mine might look good value in the sales section if this carries on whistling.gif

Social source share

Starting to creep up in price on the auction g.gif

.........mine might look good value in the sales section if this carries on :thumbup:

Hmmmm 37 english quids at the mo'

Never said it was a bad tune, in fact the odd coupla times I've played it at Heywood it went down quite well-

It's just I thought it was a £10 to £15 job.

ATB

Tony

Social source share

Guest the dukester

Hmmmm 37 english quids at the mo'

Never said it was a bad tune, in fact the odd coupla times I've played it at Heywood it went down quite well-

It's just I thought it was a £10 to £15 job.

ATB

Tony

£10-15 EH.........MINES A SNIP SO FAR :thumbsup: COMPARED TO EBAY

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=58675

https://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZprettygirl1960

Social source share

Different tune same title on columbia i do believe.

Daryl

As Daryl correctly points out here that although the titles are identical "I'm just nobody" the songs are entirely different, my copy is on Canadian Columbia 4-43028, sounds early 60T's infact it has a definate country and western feel. When I first spotted the Polydor version on John Manship's Auction my first thoughts where whats this doing on auction and then I played the sound bite and realised the difference, the 70T's cut is a nice record and lets be fair John says it's not rare but could well be in demand over the next 12 months.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Different tune same title on columbia i do believe.

Daryl

As Daryl correctly points out here that although the titles are identical "I'm just nobody" the songs are entirely different, my copy is on Canadian Columbia 4-43028, sounds early 60T's infact it has a definate country and western feel. When I first spotted the Polydor version on John Manship's Auction my first thoughts where whats this doing on auction and then I played the sound bite and realised the difference, the 70T's cut is a nice record and lets be fair John says it's not rare but could well be in demand over the next 12 months.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert